Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

SHOW THE BODY VINCE

Told you I was gonna celebrate!

edit:
Holy poo poo, my phone take gigantic pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Don't assume that Chuck is dead.

Personally I do assume that Chuck has died. That doesn't mean he is gone. As I said before, he could come back as a ghost or talking animal.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
what if chuck's spirit makes a nice teacher named walter white.... B R E A K B A D

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Side note, I'm amazed at how much the actor playing teenage Chuck sounds like him.

I thought that too, for a second I thought maybe it was somehow Michael McKean doing a youthified voiceover. Pretty great work for a bit part.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Jimmy's move in this episode wasn't a step away from taking on the Saul persona. He's learning that he can accomplish more while looking bad than he can while looking good. He's also torpedoing his reputation, the absence of which makes doing business as Saul more necessary.

I think people misremember how evil a person Saul was. He's someone who works mostly with amoral criminals, and he has an attitude that fits dealing with such. ( "Why aren't you just having him killed" is a pertinent question to ask a drug dealer who's asking you to separate a potential snitch away from the police.) He's not a good person, but he's believable as a purposeful act put on by someone not quite as callous.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Saul's BB office waiting room was always filled with normal lookin' folk, so he must have also worked on a lot of small cases - and he was still advertising to get more of them. So much paperwork.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Like, imagine if the only thing you saw of Jimmy in this episode was that conversation with Erin he broadcast to the old ladies. That's more or less the perspective of him we have in most of Breaking Bad. It's the first time we see him playing up his sleaziness.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"Chuck's not dead" is so unbelievably stupid and I can't even be mad about it, because the people who think that have been conditioned by schlock to never believe that someone's dead unless they see a body, and sometimes not even then.

Yes, it would be schlocky and he better loving be dead, but I'm not going to rule it out completely, especially after the last two season finale cliffhangers.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
next season on better call saul: the ghost of jimmy's brother reminds him not to let people realize he is empty inside

[cut to jimmy handing out donuts and smiling weirdly]

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FreeKillB posted:

I heard 'no te mueros' (aka Don't die), but the word after was unclear to me. Cabrón is plausible.

I heard "caballero".

He's being very respectful of an honorable rival.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Keyser_Soze posted:

Saul's BB office waiting room was always filled with normal lookin' folk, so he must have also worked on a lot of small cases - and he was still advertising to get more of them. So much paperwork.

Nice! You just found Kim in the center of that image after her horrible downward spiral into drug abuse/double cheese-its.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

TOOT BOOT posted:

So who's going to run the Salamanca's business now with Tuco still in prison and Hector incapacitated?

Lalo takes the reigns. Nacho will get Jimmy to help him cover up the pill switch and Lalo replaces Nacho with Krazy-8.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Keyser_Soze posted:

Those people were not meant to look like normal folk.

Where do you live?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ditocoaf posted:

Jimmy's move in this episode wasn't a step away from taking on the Saul persona. He's learning that he can accomplish more while looking bad than he can while looking good. He's also torpedoing his reputation, the absence of which makes doing business as Saul more necessary.

I think people misremember how evil a person Saul was. He's someone who works mostly with amoral criminals, and he has an attitude that fits dealing with such. ( "Why aren't you just having him killed" is a pertinent question to ask a drug dealer who's asking you to separate a potential snitch away from the police.) He's not a good person, but he's believable as a purposeful act put on by someone not quite as callous.

Not only that but it's Jimmy abandoning the chip on his shoulder that he expressed toward the soldier at the beginning of season 3, the resentment at being labeled a bad guy when he had the best of intentions and hadn't set out to harm anyone. By the end of the season he's reconciled that his schemes actually do cause damage to the people around him and that he's not the righteous avenger or plucky underdog he seemed to think he was in season 2.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Yes, it would be schlocky and he better loving be dead, but I'm not going to rule it out completely, especially after the last two season finale cliffhangers.
Chuck taping Jimmy was the cause of basically everything that happened this season, it wasn't a cheat in any way.
The first season finale wasn't a cliffhanger, it was literally "this might be the only season we get so if it is HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE ORIGINS OF SAUL GOODMAN, EVERYONE!" And then everyone including the writers were like "I love Jimmy and don't want him to become Saul yet" and so the rest of the show happened.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I think the season three opener will be of a charred house with one imacculately intact bed in the middle of it, with Chuck and his ex-wife making pillowtalk like nothing bad happened.

That's right boys, nobody Fucks Chuck but Mrs. Chuck.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think Chuck is most likely dead because it seems like his character arc is complete but I wouldn't completely rule it out

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think Chuck is most likely dead because it seems like his character arc is complete but I wouldn't completely rule it out

we can dream

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

The Human Crouton posted:

Those people were not meant to look like normal folk.

Where do you live?

:lol: the hillbilly part of Norcal 100 miles east of SF now, but I meant "normal" as in "not international millionaire drug kingpins" like Gus.

Saul is still an obnoxious people person with horrible suits and likes small level dirtbags coming in for his help else he'd run a silent office with only his kingpin clients.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
-was a poo poo to his brother for years
-drove away his wife
-became a recluse and sucked the life out of Jimmy for years on sympathy
-pointlessly chased the white whale
-ruined his reputation, and the reputations of his peers
-willing to ruin everything he'd ever built for his own ego
-forcing a good hard-working man to go into enormous debt
-told his brother he never loved him
-destroyed his house, the last thing he really had
-and finally set himself on fire

In case anybody asked, the theme of the show is "self-destruction"

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I just don't get why they talk about new mexico so much when the show is set in florida

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

RedSpider posted:

This is false. I said having a suicide prevention hotline appear on the screen after a fictional character on a TV show kills himself was unartistic, and frankly, quite baffling. It took me out of the show.

I disagree, The Magicians had one during season 1. It wasn't after an episode with someone killing themselves but themed heavily with it. It was really fit well. They also did one with sexual assault.

Maybe it fits better with the audience they are reaching, but I don't think it's out of place or in bad taste.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no you don't understand having a note like that at the end after the credits is a violation of the show's artistic vision, which includes the credits for some loving reason

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
I agree the credits and the random 30 second intro, really breaks the immersion of the show.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I watched for, and still did not see, a suicide hotline number when I rewatched today.

I think it was a hallucination only seen by whiny suicide wanters, who are ashamed they don't have the balls to end their life by fire like Chuck did.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Don't assume that Chuck is dead.

If this is true then it will be the greatest story gently caress up on TV since the asian kid surviving his first death in the Walking Dead in season 6

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I watched for, and still did not see, a suicide hotline number when I rewatched today.

I think it was a hallucination only seen by whiny suicide wanters, who are ashamed they don't have the balls to end their life by fire like Chuck did.

I hope no one in your circle ever attempts or commits suicide, friend

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

geeves posted:

I disagree, The Magicians had one during season 1. It wasn't after an episode with someone killing themselves but themed heavily with it. It was really fit well. They also did one with sexual assault.

Maybe it fits better with the audience they are reaching, but I don't think it's out of place or in bad taste.

So you're saying that films should now have a suicide hotline number appear before the credits if a character commits suicide?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

RedSpider posted:

So you're saying that films should now have a suicide hotline number appear before the credits if a character commits suicide?

Is this what you saw? Because that's not what I saw.

Anyway, the answer is yes.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
I think people are arguing more that it doesn't do any harm to include suicide hotline number, and that the little immersion it breaks isn't worth preserving.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I hope no one in your circle ever attempts or commits suicide, friend

I also hope that.

I'm making fun of the mind that cares to debate X pages about a suicide number showing up and actually caring. A number showed up. I didn't see it, but if you did and you want to kill yourself then loving call it.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

RedSpider posted:

No. I was saying if they did it's not a bad thing.

I'm also saying, Sorry your show is suddenly ruined for you because you're inconvenienced.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

They just lack the caring girlfriend that encourages them to get back in the car with the gas generator.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

geeves posted:

They just lack the caring girlfriend that encourages them to get back in the car with the gas generator.

Whatever your side in the Better Call Saul Suicide Hotline Debate, that case is hosed up.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/judge-set-announce-verdict-texting-suicide-case-48076568

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Chuck is very intelligent, but tainted by severe insecurity, control issues, and anger. He brings destruction to those around him, and ultimately himself. Sounds just like Walter White to me.

Now that his character is (seemingly) out of the way, they'll need to refocus the conflict for season 4. Surely, we'll see the Mike story line meet back up with Saul Goodman.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Whatever your side in the Better Call Saul Suicide Hotline Debate, that case is hosed up.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/judge-set-announce-verdict-texting-suicide-case-48076568

Agreed. I remember reading about it when it first came to light but didn't know until the last week or two that Roy said he wanted to live in one of his last texts to Carter.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Better Call Suicide Hotline

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

LLCoolJD posted:

Chuck is very intelligent, but tainted by severe insecurity, control issues, and anger. He brings destruction to those around him, and ultimately himself. Sounds just like Walter White to me.

Now that his character is (seemingly) out of the way, they'll need to refocus the conflict for season 4. Surely, we'll see the Mike story line meet back up with Saul Goodman.

Yes. Give me a full Saul season, and then give me a Gene season.

My favorite season of BB was the last, when the writers purposely backed themselves into a corner and had to think tight and fast to fix it

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Chuck year xxxx-2003(Seemingly)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't really care about Mike's storyline and I can't be the only one who feels that way. I thought it was a lot more interesting when Mike and Jimmy were having their little battle over parking stamps and Jimmy was helping him out with the cop murder situation than all of this stuff about his cartel vendetta that we know doesn't go anywhere.

Now it's all turned into When Mike Met Gus and it's like, meh, we know that he works for Gus and they get along until Walt comes along. He's currently in the exact situation he's in when he is introduced many years later in Breaking Bad. Who cares.

Gimme Jimmy.

• Locked thread