Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

lowcrabdiet posted:

I have this Logitech K380 keyboard. There's a refurbished version for $10 less on Amazon. My SO and I take it on trips and it works fine for 1-2 hrs of typing.

Negatives: The keys are stupid circle shapes and I thought it would mess up my typing, but it's actually fine. It still looks like a toy, though. There's no way to prop up your phone/tablet on it so you need to have a separate stand. Or you need to be comfortable with the phone/tablet laying flat -- I actually find it more comfortable to have my phone laying flat between me and the keyboard. Not rechargeable battery.

Positives: Remembers pairing to 3 devices, which is exactly the number of devices we need it for. Also, there's a physical on/off switch so I don't even bother with a case. I just slide it in my backpack and all the buttons get smooshed but it works 100% when I take it out. It's also inexpensive compared to other options we looked at. The keys are solid -- it doesn't feel like a toy, it just looks like one. Battery life (AAA batteries IIRC) last for years.

I can't recommend any folding Bluetooth keyboards that are even more compact, though. They all have some annoying problem that make you wish you got something more solid. They're either unpleasant to type on, requires an absolutely flat surface, have pairing issues, or key travel annoyances.

edit:
Bonus: After you get everything paired and set up for the first time, you can secretly connect to your SO's phone (Fn+F1,F2, or F3) and annoy the crap out of them.

The Fn+Function keys are actually really useful and you can basically control your phone from the keyboard (Home button, switch Recent Apps, Copy/Paste, etc) and it makes your phone feel a lot more like a traditional computer.

This is the expensive version that includes a rechargeable battery and doesn't look like a toy. But it's not worth $50 more for me.

Would you be able to type, say, a 10 page research paper on it? You mentioned it only looks like a toy so I'm wondering about trying it. The price sure is right. I also don't care about any stand functionality, my iPad has a case I already like with a stand.

E: just saw you said it works for a few hours at a time. I'll look into it.

E2: it has great reviews and seems to be in store at Best Buy, I'm sold.

Rolo has a new favorite as of 02:46 on May 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What the hell? Buy the K480, it comes with a little shelf for your phone or tablet. I have one and it rules. I couldn't imagine not having that feature.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What the hell? Buy the K480, it comes with a little shelf for your phone or tablet. I have one and it rules. I couldn't imagine not having that feature.

Personally I didn't like the k480 since it's bigger/bulkier, heavier, more expensive, and doesn't fit phones with a thicker case.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I take my phone out of its huge bulky case when I use the keyboard it's easy. Like I said, I can't imagine not having the case. It makes using my tablet like operating a very strange laptop.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I don't really like the shelf, I'd rather have the iPad as a separate (silly looking) desktop monitor

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I ended up getting the K380 after playing with all the models they had at Best Buy. The action of these keys felt better and the size is perfect.

I'm really appreciative of the recommendations, I never would have taken this one seriously from the pictures alone. It's exactly what I needed.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TP LINK TRIP REPORT:

It works. That's the highest praise I can give. It works in the sense that I plugged two things in and hit a button. It's basically magic.

On one computer with it plugged directly into the wall I got 90 MBPS. Two computers (one active) and it plugged into a power strip gets me about 30-40.
Not the 150 I get when hardlined into the router but I can manage.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Inzombiac posted:

TP LINK TRIP REPORT:

It works. That's the highest praise I can give. It works in the sense that I plugged two things in and hit a button. It's basically magic.

On one computer with it plugged directly into the wall I got 90 MBPS. Two computers (one active) and it plugged into a power strip gets me about 30-40.

They're not meant to be plugged directly into a power strip. You need them as close to the electrical grid as possible. No ups, no strip, no electrical outlet wall modification.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

TP LINK TRIP REPORT:

Yeah same as above , they will work when plugged into power bars etc if you're lucky

But for a stable and high speed connection they should be plugged directly into the outlet

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh I intend to. I just need to stop being so lazy and go get a longer Ethernet cord.

edit: YUP. It jumped from an average of about 30 to 106 and steady. MAGIC.

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 06:12 on May 31, 2017

Mushinronsha
Apr 14, 2006

Please do not feed poinsettias to animals, its not good for them and I dont want PI to yell at me.
Wait, I have a tp-link router, is that supposed to get plugged into the wall outlet instead of a power strip? I've never heard that before, but my internets been crappy the whole 10 years I've had my own place so I'm going to have some mixed feels if this magically fixes that.

Edit:
VVV Oooh, got it, thanks homes.

Mushinronsha has a new favorite as of 02:03 on Jun 9, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mushinronsha posted:

Wait, I have a tp-link router, is that supposed to get plugged into the wall outlet instead of a power strip? I've never heard that before, but my internets been crappy the whole 10 years I've had my own place so I'm going to have some mixed feels if this magically fixes that.

No, look at my history. This is a specific 2 node internet solution, not a normal router.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If you're using wifi, disable automatic channel selection and get an app like Wifi Analyzer to see which channel has the lowest congestion. You'll normally want to stick with choosing 1, 6, or 11

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I recently purchased a Tuft and Needle bed and now I am in need of a mattress cover. Are they all the same or is there something a bit nicer out there? I'm willing to spend a bit more for something "quality" made.

vxk5004
Oct 23, 2008
I'm looking for a new work bag, something along the lines of:

https://m.llbean.com/product.html?bc=50-516672-848&skCatId=86912&csp=f#86912

I like this one, but before I make a final decision are there any others out there in this price range? I like the roominess and pocket arrangement of this model.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

vxk5004 posted:

I like this one, but before I make a final decision are there any others out there in this price range? I like the roominess and pocket arrangement of this model.

I haven't used Tom Bihn's briefcases, but their travel bags are fantastic, so the briefcase line may be worth checking out:

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/briefcases-and-messenger-bags

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

vxk5004 posted:

I have a Tom Bihn that's great, but check out Moshi's bags too.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I need wireless earbuds. Lay your suggestions upon me!

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I need wireless earbuds. Lay your suggestions upon me!

What phone OS do you have, how much did you want to spend, what are your feelings about wires connecting them/neck bands, and what do you intend to do with them? (exercise, daily use, etc.)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

.Z. posted:

What phone OS do you have, how much did you want to spend, what are your feelings about wires connecting them/neck bands, and what do you intend to do with them? (exercise, daily use, etc.)

Android, $100 or less
I've looked at these guys and they are at a STEEP discount right now https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014...less+headphones

Mostly using while going to/from work and probably some treadmill/elliptical work.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Android, $100 or less
I've looked at these guys and they are at a STEEP discount right now https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014...less+headphones

Mostly using while going to/from work and probably some treadmill/elliptical work.

My favorite low-cost buds have been these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DZXFB1Q/

Decent sound quality, good battery life, they have magnets that allow the earbuds to stick to each other, and the on/off is tied to those magnets. So when the buds are around your neck and stuck together, they're off. Pull them apart and they immediately turn on. Some people report fit issues, but I've not had a problem.

On the higher end, Jaybird X2 and X3 are the go-to for exercise wireless earbuds.

X2 refurbs and used X3 go for $100 or less.

https://smile.amazon.com/Jaybird-Sport-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B01MQQPHPN

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01NAL9K36/ref=olp_twister_all?ie=UTF8&mv_color_name=all

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Inzombiac posted:

Android, $100 or less

That discount is fake as hell. https://camelcamelcamel.com/S35Headphones-Wireless-Sweatproof-Earphones-Cancelling/product/B014FCJVGC

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I just ordered these, all the Youtubers that review Asian online store stuff seems to love them: http://www.gearbest.com/sports-fitness-headphones/pp_356162.html

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Stupid me. I always, ALWAYS forget to check CCC. Thanks for looking out.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

obi_ant posted:

I recently purchased a Tuft and Needle bed and now I am in need of a mattress cover. Are they all the same or is there something a bit nicer out there? I'm willing to spend a bit more for something "quality" made.

Why do you need a mattress cover? Just curious, only one I ever tried was like stain-proof and it just trapped heat and made things uncomfortable so I haven't used one since.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

obi_ant posted:

Just get one or two of these in the right size for your mattress.

Good if you have pets, kids, or messy sex.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

baquerd posted:

Why do you need a mattress cover? Just curious, only one I ever tried was like stain-proof and it just trapped heat and made things uncomfortable so I haven't used one since.

We wanted one during the summmer cause our room is so hot. Didn't really want to sweat on it. We just decided to get some cooler covers and blankets. It's worked pretty well so far.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Any electric toothbrush consensus? The sweet home suggests one , but I love to check here first.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Any recommendations for men's slip on shoes that have some arch support? I just need them for things like taking out the trash or running to the corner store, so they don't need to look fancy.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Snowmankilla posted:

Any electric toothbrush consensus? The sweet home suggests one , but I love to check here first.

The two big names in power brushes are Oral B and Sonicare and both have a range of models at different price points and numbers of bells and whistles. Which is best for you depends on what you want in a brush.

If you want a powerful vibration you can really feel, go Sonicare. It's the more powerful of the two. Choose Oral B if you want a gentler brush, or if you need to go easy on your gums. Oral B also has a pressure sensor that lights up if you push any harder than way way way too hard when you brush (it could stand to be more sensitive, is what I'm saying).

(It's possibly worth mentioning that Waterpik also makes a brush. I haven't tried it myself, but my hygienist says it's ridiculously powerful, way more than the other two brands, and she's afraid to recommend it to her patients. So there's my anti-recommend for the Waterpik brush, via my hygienist. Don't brush your gums off, please.)

Oral B has a compact head by default, which is nice for getting into small spaces (like gaps from missing teeth), behind back teeth, or into nooks and crannies created by crooked teeth. That said, Sonicare does sell a compact head, so don't let that be a deal breaker. For that matter, Oral B sells a full-size head if that's your thing.

Oral B tends to have the better timers. Depending on the model you buy you might get a wall mounted timer or a bluetooth app for your phone (or you could just download the free Oral B timer app and work it yourself and use whatever kind of brush). I like that Oral B keeps going after two minutes to encourage you to go for extra credit; Sonicare just stops when it finishes its cycle.

Depending on the model you purchase, Sonicare may come with a special cage you can lock your brush head in and give all its accumulated bacteria skin cancer by blasting it with UV light. Some of their models can be charged via USB. All their models look really drat cool.

I've tried both Oral B and Sonicare and personally I use the Oral B because it's less intense. The dentist I work for is a Sonicare man. Both brands make extremely good brushes and I don't think you'd be going wrong either way you choose.

Edit: By the way, this? This toothbrush head right here?

Complete bullshit. The little flippers don't "work like floss," they just beat the hell out of your gums. If you do go Oral B, get a brush head that doesn't have the stupid little flippies.

Julet Esqu has a new favorite as of 02:18 on Jun 21, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've been really loving the 3D White heads with the little pink rubber piece in the middle. I understand that's similar to some dentist tool, is that right?

Also throwing in my vote for Oral B. I've had one of theirs for about 12 years and it hasn't had a single issue.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I got a smilex after reading about how ultrasonic is the next big thing, and I guess it works? The actual ultrasonic emitter is too high frequency to vibrate or make noise, so I just assume it's working. It also has a vibrate like most electric brushes.

I don't have much to compare it to, I think all electric toothbrushes work pretty well. Hygenist hasn't complained yet.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Thank you so much Julet Esau! That was a bad rear end effort post. I am going to go with Oral B. That is the one the Sweethome suggested as well. I will stay away from bullshit flippers.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I'm looking for some really, really good hard candy. Something a few steps up from Werther's Originals or Brach's Strawberry Bonbons (though those are both very good). Willing to try pretty much any flavor or flavor profile but I generally don't like licorice/anise.

Some cursory research led to a couple fruit flavored candies from Italy and Belgium that sounded good. Also some Asian/Japanese stuff with either barley sugar or ginger that sounded interesting though some of the more esoteric Asian candies I've tried in the past haven't really been my thing.

Suggestions?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Jolly Ranchers are a great hard candy

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Lawen posted:

I'm looking for some really, really good hard candy. Something a few steps up from Werther's Originals or Brach's Strawberry Bonbons (though those are both very good). Willing to try pretty much any flavor or flavor profile but I generally don't like licorice/anise.

Some cursory research led to a couple fruit flavored candies from Italy and Belgium that sounded good. Also some Asian/Japanese stuff with either barley sugar or ginger that sounded interesting though some of the more esoteric Asian candies I've tried in the past haven't really been my thing.

Suggestions?

There are these guava Chinese hard candies that are addicting. I can't remember what they are called, but they come in a green foil bad and are available on Amazon. Highly recommend.

E. Found a link https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Guava-Hard-Candy-12-3/dp/B000J0N1CK there are a ton of other listings for the same product, so just find the amount you want without regards to the actual seller.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

1redflag posted:

There are these guava Chinese hard candies that are addicting. I can't remember what they are called, but they come in a green foil bad and are available on Amazon. Highly recommend.

E. Found a link https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Guava-Hard-Candy-12-3/dp/B000J0N1CK there are a ton of other listings for the same product, so just find the amount you want without regards to the actual seller.

These things taste great and I second this recommendation.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
This

https://www.amazon.com/Unican-Milkita-Melon-Milk-Candy/dp/B00251VAGK

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I need a waterproof bluetooth speaker, it can be big and ugly but I need it to be loud and to last for 6 hours playing fully charged. And it needs to be really waterproof, as it'll be in a river. Any ideas?

For reference, about 20 of us are tying floaties together and floating down a river for 5-6 hours for my gfs birthday, and I want to tie a big speaker to a stick and bring it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

black.lion posted:

I need a waterproof bluetooth speaker, it can be big and ugly but I need it to be loud and to last for 6 hours playing fully charged. And it needs to be really waterproof, as it'll be in a river. Any ideas?

For reference, about 20 of us are tying floaties together and floating down a river for 5-6 hours for my gfs birthday, and I want to tie a big speaker to a stick and bring it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DZ56MX0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one gets great reviews from all over.