Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
people talking about :siren:Jack Trengove:siren: maybe making a return :catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

The CBA has been done, I think the top 10% of players who benefit at the expense of the rest got most of what they wanted with Free Agency changes

Rookie changes need to be explained better though, not sure if that mean the rookie list is going or just the playing restrictions.

So wait, does this mean there will still be rookies as there exist at the moment but only for category B rookies?

It would be kind of absurd if we had a situation where Paul Hunter would be eligible to play AFL footy but Hugh Greenwood wouldn't.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

Personally I think the real problem they have at Hawthorn is that a lot of the junior players they expected to stand up this year turned out to be not as good as they had hoped.

Yeah.
Langford has been the only one registering on the "give-a-poo poo-o-meter" while not being "all that good" at least you can say he's loving trying and the "experienced" young players - Duryea and Hartung - have been utter garbage. The midfield has been beaten comprehensively which is a shame because Kaiden Brand, Ryan Burton and Tim O'brien have shown a glimmer of promise in their respective ends.

I feel for Whitecross since he was injured all the way through the threepeat and comes back to this dumpster fire.

Oh well, next year O'Meara is going to return and show the world what Gaz taught him (not the god botherer stuff) and FOURTHORN WILL BE BACK BABY.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

If Melbourne win this week we'll be Melfourne.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

quote:

In AFL (we’re) really progressive in so many areas, we don’t discriminate against cultures, we don’t discriminate against religions, we don’t discriminate against women, we don’t discriminate against anyone except key position players in the Brownlow Medal

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Periphery posted:

It'll be interesting to see which players that have been 'waiting for the new CBA' before re-signing contracts actually re-sign.

Coincidentally Luke Sheuy signed up at West Coast for five years today.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

They're also saying Brodie Grundy extending at Collingwood is done as well

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

quote:

THE AFL is planning to launch its version of cricket’s Twenty20, with a series of matches involving non-finalists in September this year.

Under the proposal, the Saturday after round 23 - when the top eight teams are given the bye - would be set aside to launch AFLX, a fast-paced, scaled-down version of traditional football.

The AFL recently alerted clubs to its plans, and on Thursday night confirmed its September launch hopes for the radical concept.

"We are currently investigating the opportunity of using the Saturday of the bye round to showcase AFLX via the best players from teams which have missed the finals," AFL football operations manager Simon Lethlean told The Footy Show.

"We are exploring this with the clubs, and have contemplated incentives to play and prize money.

"We are very excited about AFLX.

"It’s a fast-paced, high octane version of our game and it will be a new way to view AFL."

AFLX would be played on soccer-sized pitches, have seven players per side (with three or more per side on the interchange), and consist of quarters lasting no longer than 10 minutes.

Melbourne ruckman Max Gawn said he liked the plan, but hoped he wouldn’t be playing at the launch competition.

"If I’m not playing finals, and Melbourne don’t make finals, it would be a great concept," he said on Thursday night.

"I wouldn’t mind the IPL format, where you can go play for a different team … if you look at the IPL and the Big Bash, the guys love the Vic Bushrangers but some of the guys end up playing for the Queensland Twenty20 team.”

One concept under consideration would see clubs pay a fee to enter the inaugural AFLX event, with the entry fees pooled to help fund prizemoney.

It is known the AFL has looked at the model used by Sydney horse racing officials in their creation of 'The Everest', a race which will carry $10million of prizemoney, largely funded by entry fees to the race paid by owners of competing horses.

What is AFLX?
  • Played on a soccer-sized oval
  • Played between two sides of seven, three on each interchange bench Ten-minute quarters
  • No centre bounces (kick-ins from full-back after each goal)
  • One umpire

said a mid-Cocaine binge AFL executive

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 21, 2017

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Twenty20 makes sense because cricket is long and boring, and a shorter version where they just try to hit every ball for six is great.

Not sure that AFL really needs a version of Twenty20.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

That's the dumbest loving idea yet

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Makes them state of origin teams

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
It is a standard of game that expats can play overseas on soccer pitches.

Makes sense but it wont take off in Aus.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

drunkill posted:

It is a standard of game that expats can play overseas on soccer pitches.

Makes sense but it wont take off in Aus.

No that's fine and good but why the gently caress would you have a comp with league players for it? How pissed would you be if a player went and did an ACL in this and missed the next actual season

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Can't wait to watch a bunch of reserve players from the comp's worst teams play touch footy on a soccer pitch!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Oh for sure.

Teams will play 7 vfl players. Unless the afl mandates that each bottom 10 side plays proper players.

As you said, one injury will end this local comp if afl players are involved.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ha ha what a ridiculous idea!

Also tipping this week was pretty tough. Lot of close ones, and having to pick between two varieties of Hahn Super Dry...

... I picked neither, take that footytips

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Also, who is going to watch this game?

Sure it's in the week after the regular season has finished, so there will be no footy on, but honestly I can't see an audience for it.

If your team missed the finals, are you now going to care about a one week mickey mouse version of the game just coz they will be wearing your colours? Or if your team is in the finals, are you going to care about same mickey mouse game that doesn't even involve your team?

If it's for international/non AFL audiences, then I can't see any non-AFL fan suddenly caring about a bowlderized version of a game that they already find baffling.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

If it's for international/non AFL audiences, then I can't see any non-AFL fan suddenly caring about a bowlderized version of a game that they already find baffling.

I'm pretty sure the entire purpose of it is to develop a version of the game that is playable on square fields, so that any soccer pitch is a potential playable field, as opposed to a huge oval, which are rarer outside Australia, especially in places like India and China where space can be a premium.

The people posting in this thread are not the target audience.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

NPR Journalizard posted:

I'm pretty sure the entire purpose of it is to develop a version of the game that is playable on square fields, so that any soccer pitch is a potential playable field, as opposed to a huge oval, which are rarer outside Australia, especially in places like India and China where space can be a premium.

The people posting in this thread are not the target audience.

It sounds perfectly reasonable as a "touch" version of the game (afl9s is pretty garbage, 7 on the field is much better) but having actual AFL players play it just seems dumb.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The winner should get wildcard entry into the finals

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

racing identity posted:

But you only get 7 players

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
tom bugg gets his moment of fame from lushsux

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

racing identity posted:

I guarantee they have a plan to eventually use it to determine the top 10 draft order

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

tom bugg gets his moment of fame from lushsux

:laffo:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Someone check to see if Microsoft have recently lost any marketing people

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Couldn't name it the XFL because vince McMahon is litigious

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

Couldn't name it the XFL because vince McMahon is litigious

They needed to go bigger then. XXFL. XXXFL!

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

MysticalMachineGun posted:

They needed to go bigger then. XXFL. XXXFL!

The tight shorts of the 80s, huge mullets and no shirts.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Give the winner of the AFLX an end of first round draft pick and watch the teams thrown everything that have at it.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Water wet, sky blue, etc etc

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jun/22/footy-show-host-sam-newman-criticised-for-reckless-transphobia

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'm more offended by how out of date this joke is. Caitlyn Jenner was so 2016 Sam

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

The only surprising thing is that anyone was actually tuned in to hear him say it

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I feel like that incident was probably a confused old guy who genuinely didn't know the correct terminology and shouldn't have been let out of sight of his minders in the home he should be put in.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Chairchucker posted:

I feel like that incident was probably a confused old guy who genuinely didn't know the correct terminology and shouldn't have been let out of sight of his minders in the home he should be put in.

Didn't he use the word "it" to describe a person? That seems pretty deliberately poo poo to me

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The VFL night premiership started as a weird thing where the non-finalists played a knockout comp during the finals.

Obviously this is a bit different with :catdrugs: (and might even be called an adaptation of corridor footy) but even still.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Deadly Hume posted:

The VFL night premiership started as a weird thing where the non-finalists played a knockout comp during the finals.

Obviously this is a bit different with :catdrugs: (and might even be called an adaptation of corridor footy) but even still.

The what?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VFL_Night_Series

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

According to AFL Player Ratings Cam "pedo" Pederson is the 10th best player in the league since returning from the VFL in round 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Solemn Sloth posted:

Didn't he use the word "it" to describe a person? That seems pretty deliberately poo poo to me

Yeah maybe but a lot of people, particularly older people, are probably also just way confused by the changes in the world around them.

On the other hand this is Sam Newman so it's probably dumb to give him any kind of benefit of the doubt.

• Locked thread