Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

Weird people are assuming the shoot was going badly rather than it was good but wasn't the super formulaic Disneyfied thing they want. Are we not used to producers being the worst by now

Maybe I'm naive, but for Christ's sake, has Disney not come to the realization that anything connected to Star Wars is going to make half a billion without breaking a sweat? Just hire good people, give them a broad framework to work within and get the gently caress out of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Maybe I'm naive, but for Christ's sake, has Disney not come to the realization that anything connected to Star Wars is going to make half a billion without breaking a sweat?

After Rogue One made more money than even Disney expected, I guarantee you they focus-group every new Star Wars project into oblivion to make sure it makes at least a full billion.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The MSJ posted:

Nah, Joss Whedon have Batman and Superman and Batgirl and her feet to play with.

I thought that was Tarantino with the fetish

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Making a Han Solo film was pretty much the height of cynicism and everything I feared when Disney bought Lucasfilm. There was no way this movie was going to be good, no matter what.

Want to know Han Solo's origin? It turns out he was a good guy, before he turned into a bad guy, and then turned into a good guy again! But then I guess he kinda turned into kind of a dick in between VI and VII so

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Disney probably won't take too many chances until they've made their four billion dollars back and then some more for good measure (and to keep stockholders happy).

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

homullus posted:

Disney probably won't take too many chances until they've made their four billion dollars back and then some more for good measure (and to keep stockholders happy).

They recouped half their investment on the first movie alone.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
More from Variety:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/star-wars-han-solo-kathleen-kennedy-director-fired-1202473919/

Variety posted:

Miller and Lord were stunned to find that they were not being granted freedom to run the production in the manner that they were accustomed to. They balked at Kennedy’s tight control on the set.

A person with knowledge of the production said that the chemistry between the directors and Kennedy was never right. “It was a culture clash from day one,” the source said.

The source said that while Lord and Miller were supposedly hired for their vision and distinctive brand of filmmaking when it came to the “Star Wars” production, Kennedy did not approve of their shooting style and process of interacting with actors and crew. “They weren’t given the leeway to do what they had to do,” the source said. The duo also clashed with Kasdan, who has been an integral creative part of several “Star Wars” movies, dating back the the 1980 “The Empire Strikes Back.”

Like Kennedy, he questioned many of the pair’s directing choices. “Kathy, her team and Larry Kasdan have been doing it their way for a very long time. They know how the cheese is made and that’s how they want it made,” said the source. “It became a very polarizing set.”

The directors did not leave the production voluntarily, but were fired by LucasFilm. The decision comes as the Han Solo film still has several weeks left to shoot, according to another individual with knowledge of the production. An additional several weeks of reshoots have been planned to take place later this summer.

Kennedy had her own ideas about how the film should be shot. In an interview with Variety last year, she said she wanted the film to have “…a heist or Western type feel,” adding, “We’ve talked about [Frederic] Remington and those primary colors that are used in his paintings defining the look and feel of the film.”

Some insiders believe that while Kennedy wants to make a splash by hiring young indie directors such as Gareth Edwards (“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story”) and Rian Johnson (“Star Wars: The Last Jedi”), she’s ultimately unwilling to empower them to make their own creative decisions.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is why I'm always skeptical of "[This creative person] is good but they need to be reined in by a strong editor/producer! Somebody needs to know when to say no!"

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Per Deadline, Ron Howard(!?) is the top replacement choice:

http://deadline.com/2017/06/ron-howard-han-solo-star-wars-movie-replace-phil-lord-christopher-miller-directors-1202117289/

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Firing young hip sexy directors and hiring bald old farts to lock it down is extremely my jam.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
I can see how they would be the wrong fit for the tone that Kathleen Kennedy was going for, but you'd think they'd have had more forethought with that when it came to choosing directors. They've mostly done comedies, and ones that aren't visually brilliantly shot or anything when it comes to the live action ones.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Shoulda gotten the Russo brothers.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Ron Howard is cool, so get him.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Instant Sunrise posted:

Shoulda gotten the Coen brothers.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

All of this talk about "culture clash" really makes me hope that Kathleen Kennedy showed up to set one day, only to discover a Rodney Dangerfield-esque booze and boob party. Then her monocle popped off and she expelled Lord & Miller from the studio grounds.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Abner Assington posted:

Ron Howard is cool, so get him.

The whole thing sucks, no doubt. But Howard's biggest weakness is an affinity for godawful scripts. He's a solid craftsman who won't rock the boat. He can't reverse the lovely decision, but if it had to happen, he's probably as good as we can hope given that we obviously weren't going to get a brilliant auteur to come in and do their thing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I won't judge a movie before it's even finished but I think it's safe to say this movie very well may suck. I mean the more and more we hear about this the more and more it sounds like a total cluster f***.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

As long as Peter Mayhew is still on board I have faith in this project.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

David Lynch

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

They wanted a "Western feel", so just have Kasdan take over.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hell, bring in Sam Raimi. My dude is well-familiar with tackling both big-budget effect flicks and studio meddling.

I mainly say that because I want to see someone chase Greedo around with a camera strapped to a dirtbike, but really, who doesn't?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

This is starting to sound almost worse than Star Trek Discovery, and that's saying something.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

They are 6 months into filming, they are not looking for someone to bring their own unique style to the movie, they're looking for someone who is going to keep the project going so that it still comes out next May.

In that respect, Ron Howard is a very good choice because Ron Howard is talented and respected enough that he'll be able to keep the ship afloat.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Ron Howard also has nice historical ties with Lucasfilm through Willow.

If he does come on, I'm sure he'll finish it out for now. They'll then regroup with him, and plan for extensive reshoots in September/October where he can course correct as needed.

I trust Lucasfilm at this point, because they "fixed" whatever was wrong with Rogue One essentially 7 months before release and still had a solid movie which I quite enjoyed. They still have a year to go here.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm calling it now, they'll hire James Gunn to try and ease the geeks, and the film might turn out alrightish but nowhere near as interesting as it would've been with Lord and Miller.

Not that James Gunn is a slouch, but I'm sure any filmmaker coming on in the last minute to complete a film, and not just do a few reshoots and editing touches, won't gel much with what already existed.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Teek posted:

Ron Howard also has nice historical ties with Lucasfilm through Willow.

If he does come on, I'm sure he'll finish it out for now. They'll then regroup with him, and plan for extensive reshoots in September/October where he can course correct as needed.

I trust Lucasfilm at this point, because they "fixed" whatever was wrong with Rogue One essentially 7 months before release and still had a solid movie which I quite enjoyed. They still have a year to go here.

Well, the official story on Rogue One was that the action scenes were a little to intense or something, and they were getting shots that were a little less brutal.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Maxwell Lord posted:

That's not really how Hollywood works, and even if it were, they're probably too far along in development now.

It's pretty obvious that Lord and Miller were fired solely to make this post look silly in hindsight.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

ruddiger posted:

There isn't a doubt in my mind that the stresses of the new Star Wars shoot aided in her relapse and ultimately killed her.

And goons still think her prozac pill urn was funny. poo poo's incredibly hosed up and borderline enabling.

So Disney is now responsible for making episode 7 so bland and lame they make the prequel trilogy look like high cinema, completely botching rogue one and having to hire a clean up crew of directors and editors try and salvage the film, had to cancel a boba fett movie because their choice of director was a junkie and they couldn't find a replacement director in time to meet Bob Igers insane release schedule, botched a han solo movie that didn't even need to get made with high profile directors leaving the project AND killing Carrie Fisher because of stressful shoots.

Talk about ruining Star Wars

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Mr President posted:

So Disney is now responsible for making episode 7 so bland and lame they make the prequel trilogy look like high cinema, completely botching rogue one and having to hire a clean up crew of directors and editors try and salvage the film, had to cancel a boba fett movie because their choice of director was a junkie and they couldn't find a replacement director in time to meet Bob Igers insane release schedule, botched a han solo movie that didn't even need to get made with high profile directors leaving the project AND killing Carrie Fisher because of stressful shoots.

Talk about ruining Star Wars

Well, I don't know that I'd say they're really responsible for killing Carrie Fisher. Also I'm not sure we know yet what really went on during Rogue One's production, and lots of people seemed to really like it even though I'd agree with you that large portions of it were a slog.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Maybe they should just remake ESB and ROTJ to go along with the ANH remake and stop making new starwars movies for a few years until they have invested in an AI to write and direct all future projects.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

drat, he even sounds whinny while saying "The galaxy belongs to me"

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Guys, lets not start judging this movie until we see the Rotten Tomatoes score and some youtube reviews, ok?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

UmOk posted:

Guys, lets not start judging this movie until we see the Rotten Tomatoes score and some youtube reviews, ok?

We won't know that it's Star Wars done right until somebody on the internet tells us that it's finally Star Wars done right

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IanTheM posted:

I can see how they would be the wrong fit for the tone that Kathleen Kennedy was going for, but you'd think they'd have had more forethought with that when it came to choosing directors. They've mostly done comedies, and ones that aren't visually brilliantly shot or anything when it comes to the live action ones.

The most bizarre thing is that it comes after six months of shooting. Why now? What was the straw that broke the camel's back to fire them when production is very nearly done?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Ron Howard directing a Han Solo movie is sort of an American Graffiti reunion.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I wonder if tonally the movie was coming off more as a spoof of Star Wars than feeling like actual Star Wars. Like they were taking what should have been serious or neutral on the page, and made it tongue in cheek.

I'm not seeing many people address Kasdan being unhappy with how they were doing it either. He was both the writer and an executive producer on the project, and if he wasn't happy with how they were treating the material he wrote, that seems like a recipe to get fired.

Teek fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 21, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

This is starting to sound almost worse than Star Trek Discovery, and that's saying something.

What's the news on that?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Milky Moor posted:

What's the news on that?

Announced two years ago with Bryan Fuller at the helm, thirteen-episode season with a single story arc. Originally scheduled to start shooting in August of last year to meet a January 2017 launch date. August rolls around, and they haven't even started casting or working on the sets because Fuller's a notorious perfectionist prima donna and was still working on just the pilot script and hadn't even begun working on the stories for the next twelve episodes - so literally all CBS can show at its big TCA event is a terribly animated CGI teaser with the title and logo.

CBS delays things for a month or two to give Fuller a little more time. Fuller continues to fart around (bear in mind he was also busy with American Gods) and only has the scripts for the first two episodes completed. CBS fires him and replaces him with two producers who have never run a TV show before, and hires Akiva Goldman to help out in the writers' room. The series is delayed from January to May.

Turns out they don't even start shooting the series until the last week of January (when CBS announces a nebulous "fall 2017" release), and it takes them two months to shoot just the pilot episode (and midway through filming, one actor literally had his role switched from a Klingon to a Starfleet officer). They're still making casting announcements well into March. Insiders report that sets are being designed, built and then torn down because scripts are constantly changing. In May, CBS announces the episode order has been upped to fifteen. Last week, CBS announces a September 24 launch.

Oh, and this is also the TV show that will air its first episode on CBS, then release episodes weekly on the $10/month CBS All Access streaming service. After the first eight, there will be a two-plus month hiatus (almost assuredly to buy them more post-production time) before the last seven begin coming out in January or February.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Timby posted:

Oh, and this is also the TV show that will air its first episode on CBS, then release episodes weekly on the $10/month CBS All Access streaming service. After the first eight, there will be a two-plus month hiatus (almost assuredly to buy them more post-production time) before the last seven begin coming out in January or February.

I genuinely look forward to this plan failing spectacularly. CBS's main demo is old people, so they aren't likely to sign up for an online service. And this plan to "hook the nerds" with Star Trek just feels destined for failure, since there's nothing else on CBS they'd care about. They'd be paying $10 per month just for the new Star Trek show.

I mean, some Trekkies will, sure, but not enough to keep the service afloat. And I don't know who else would pay $10 per month for the rest of the CBS lineup.

New Star Trek will be the most pirated show this side of Game of Thrones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Game of Thrones has massive mainstream appeal, so it can survive with it's audience being 75%+ non-paying. Star Trek probably doesn't.

• Locked thread