Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Guys, let me talk about a little something called Deep Meditation.

I wasn't one of those goons lamenting the changes made to Monk, I was gonna stick with Monk no matter what, because I revel in the blood and tears of my foes staining my hands. So, I pushed forward, leveling Monk as I went through the StormBlood content. And lo, I leveled and was bestowed upon by the Punching Gods the gift that is Deep Meditation.

You see, Deep Meditation is a trait that gives Monks a 50% chance of gaining a chakra on hitting a crit.

Now, I was like you, skeptical of that percentage, thinking 'Yeah, they say 50%, but come on, son!'. And then I started punching poo poo, and chakras started raining from the skies.

it is glorious. I am eager to get the skill that grants a chakra when a party member uses a weaponskill. Alas, that is a lvl 70 skill, but I can dream...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Jinh posted:

Never played that game but I guess I'll turn into one of those "XI is better ra ra ra" types if this is true lol

It took a lot of work and gathering a small arsenal of gear, but back when I played FFXI 12 or so years ago, RDM (usually with /NIN subjob) was one of the few classes that could solo things.

You know how enterprising statics will sometimes sell savage drops and carries for people? Back in FFXI I used to make the majority of my cash soloing Avatars (primals basically) for fledgling Summoners so they could get their summons. These weren't outdated fights either.

That's right, FFXI was such a lovely grind fest that SMN was required to do fights requiring a full party (Or mercenary RDM/NIN) just to get job essentials, one such battle for each and every summon.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It looks like the level 69 dungeon has more Tactics Ogre reference gear. All I have is a ring so I don't know what it looks like, but they're Xenobian and Valerian gear sets again.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

UHD posted:

Only thing I would change about ninja :argh:

Still wish I could change the ninja weapons out animations back to rogue's. Just so dumb.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I haven't played in like a year and they changed all the abilities and I had to redo all my keybinds and remember how to play this game again and exactly 0 things are hard to tank blind so far in Stormblood. Tanking really isn't that hard. Read the tooltips and learn what things do and how threat works (see images in OP), stay out of poo poo on the ground. Use cooldowns when you're due to be eating poo poo. Or just because.

By and large tanking is not mechanically demanding, just higher stakes. Don't be afraid to just fuckin try it. And hey worst case if everyone gets mad and your group falls apart because you hosed up or didn't figure out a mechanic in time, it isn't like you'll have to wait long for your next chance. :smug:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
It's harder to judge individual performance as a tank, which turns a lot of people off of it. Or at least I think it's less fulfilling. Like as a DPS I can always tighten my rotation or try for bigger numbers, but the only satisfaction I get off tanking is pulling increasingly bigger packs and surviving, but that's at least 50% on the healer too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean I'd think standing toe-to-toe with Primals and hitting them In the face would be its own reward. :shrug:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Thumbtacks posted:

It's harder to judge individual performance as a tank, which turns a lot of people off of it. Or at least I think it's less fulfilling. Like as a DPS I can always tighten my rotation or try for bigger numbers, but the only satisfaction I get off tanking is pulling increasingly bigger packs and surviving, but that's at least 50% on the healer too.

What's fulfilling is eating the tankbuster and laughing it off, either because you set up your mitigation properly, or because you're primed to top yourself/be topped off afterwards as a result. C'mon, first SB primal, you think tanks don't get a loving rush from the transition?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What's fulfilling is eating the tankbuster and laughing it off, either because you set up your mitigation properly, or because you're primed to top yourself/be topped off afterwards as a result. C'mon, first SB primal, you think tanks don't get a loving rush from the transition?

I haven't even done that fight, but just hearing about it is making me want to tank.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

M.c.P posted:

Sam is a threat monster when played well too. Though my buddy might have been trolling me with no diversion

SAM openers in dungeons are going to be an absolutely stupid amount of damage because they can go in to the boss with 3 Sen and a full kenki gauge. I could see someone ripping threat even with diversion if they're landing a couple (direct) crits with big skills like midare and guren.

M.c.P posted:

Oh but god drat can PLD carry a bad healer. First run of lvl61 dungeon had me solo healing the first boss cuz our healer forgot his glam gear was still on.

I've seen this happen in raids. :buddy:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

SAM openers in dungeons are going to be an absolutely stupid amount of damage because they can go in to the boss with 3 Sen and a full kenki gauge. I could see someone ripping threat even with diversion if they're landing a couple (direct) crits with big skills like midare and guren.

I tried to get ready for a boss earlier today by saving Sen and Kenki and immediately pull aggro on pull and almost pulled it again even with diversion, it was silly.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i mean, paladin could do literally everything in HW, but by and large people really didn't bring them in progression content. can you explain why that is? spoilers: it's because ease of completion is a much more useful balancing metric than just ability of completion. i don't doubt that all of the tank jobs *can* clear all of the content, but if paladin can clear it x times easier than the other tanks, why bring the other tanks? i don't doubt a static of like seven other people you know would be fine with you playing warrior, or whatever, but if you don't think there will be a noticeable difference come raid-time when one of the tank classes does 25 percent more damage, survives way better than the others, is barely reliant on burst windows to do their top dps, and can mitigate ridiculous damage for the rest of the raid, you've got your head buried in the sand.

1) you mean they didn't absolutely nail a class's damage output with just internal testing on their first try? get the gently caress out!
2) being able to clear the content is all that matters, and if your group is one of those shitheel groups where they told you to play X class because it was better than the class within the same role you want to play, you're better off without them, especially here, the land of endless goon groups
3) PLD actually is reliant on burst windows now as well, given how requiescat works.
4) show me where PLD at equal gear does 25% more overall dps and takes significantly less damage (taking into account defiance's healing bonus) than the other tanks.
5) having more mitigation didn't make PLD better than the other tanks in HW, so what's actually your point with that?

I mean, you haven't even come close to addressing the first point anyway. AST got a huge buff when it turned out that they actually were poo poo, why on earth do you think it wouldn't happen again?

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
So I got the dreaded direct x11 crash, is there a concrete solution for this yet?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Ciaphas posted:

Care to spoiler bar what it was? I did the 65 RDM quest yesterday and if all the jobs are taking the same tack then that makes me really look forward to the leveling process for the rest of the jobs.

RDM 65: Going through the last wing of Great Gubal Library--boss included--was inspired and made me feel like a total boss. :c00l:

You, Jacke, Oboro, and Princess Yuki all team up to beat up some bad guys that Karasu seems intent on loving over. V'kebbe and Underfoot show up too. So there's 6 ninjas kicking the poo poo out of everyone. The boss is pretty engaging too, I kept feeling just at the edge of survival. Funny thing I noticed is that J, O, and Y popped Kiss of the Wasp before she the fighting started. I wonder how late into development they decided to remove them for Stormblood.

Naruto hating ninjas are in the wrong profession and should quit while they're behind. More frogs and snakes and jutsu mudras please. I'm sad maintenance will be happening when I get home.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

The stormblood monk quests have been sort of lovely? I just did the 65 one and I haven't even punched anything yet.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

smdh if you don't get a boner every time some giant elder evil rear end in a top hat does their ultimate attack and you shrug through it.

Also when raid-wide AoE happens and you see all the squishies drop to 25% HP and you barely lose a tenth of your hitpoints and go "huh, was that supposed to hit hard?"

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

1) you mean they didn't absolutely nail a class's damage output with just internal testing on their first try? get the gently caress out!
2) being able to clear the content is all that matters, and if your group is one of those shitheel groups where they told you to play X class because it was better than the class within the same role you want to play, you're better off without them, especially here, the land of endless goon groups
3) PLD actually is reliant on burst windows now as well, given how requiescat works.
4) show me where PLD at equal gear does 25% more overall dps and takes significantly less damage (taking into account defiance's healing bonus) than the other tanks.
5) having more mitigation didn't make PLD better than the other tanks in HW, so what's actually your point with that?

I mean, you haven't even come close to addressing the first point anyway. AST got a huge buff when it turned out that they actually were poo poo, why on earth do you think it wouldn't happen again?

it's not my job to sit here and do like an hour of math that you don't even care about to prove something that is literally easily observable but you're being deliberately obtuse in half of these. paladin is going to be leaps and bounds better than the other tanks come omega if the class does not get tweaked.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Asimo posted:

gently caress. I was loving the new MCH... but then I tried to do a FATE. Leveling down unequips gauss barrel just like it did in Heavensward, but while it was previously only a mild annoyance it now costs you all your heat. :argh:

Honestly the heat mechanic is really interesting but it also seems horribly half baked and unfriendly. There's a lot of little tweaks they could do to make it better, but I don't imagine any of it happening quickly.

Oh gently caress! I just realized that I can do low level fates as a healer without having to toggle cleric stance all the drat time. Hell yeah.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Thumbtacks posted:

I love just facing down the boss. For me, tanking isn't about numbers or statistics, but the thrill of having the boss facing me and only me.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Thought I could avoid the cold steel shitshow by leveling up my samurai in potd. instead thats giving me 90002 errors too. welp

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

Hello here is my Samurai in very original and creative outfit okay bye

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

What's the point of having a house over a FC room? Gardening chocobo food?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

I kept myself and a Black Mage up through a long period of Scathatch as a Paladin when the rest of the party was loving dead. Dude was impressed afterwards.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
Seeking opinion: Who is more fun at this point between ninja and monk? I don't have time to level both but both might be cool.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can anyone tell me how the deal with the floor 50 boss in The Palace of the Dead? I've attempted it 3 times now and I still don't know anything about the mechanics. I know during one you run in close, but after that every other arena sized area of effect she does hits me. The fear she has I have no idea how to dodge it and it subsequently causes me or my party to get hit by In Health then we just all die.

Also can anyone explain what level your equipment is? Is the the overall gear score or is it the "Gear Strength" under your name in the save slot? What level is good for what floors? I'd look at the wiki but it offers nothing useful. I don't even know how this is remotely possible with a matched team filled with nothing but DPS. She just does no damage and if you didn't get any Steel buffs you're hosed. Might be easier to just run 1-40 forever.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Trainmonk posted:

Seeking opinion: Who is more fun at this point between ninja and monk? I don't have time to level both but both might be cool.

Ninja. Monk is sadly boring right now.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Brainamp posted:

Ninja. Monk is sadly boring right now.

What's making ninja cool right now? Did he have any notable changes?

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Trainmonk posted:

What's making ninja cool right now? Did he have any notable changes?

Simple but still thoughtful rotation (you're balancing a buff, two debuffs, and your heavy hitter). Good spread of oGCDs. Mudra is fun and versatile. Addition of Ninki gauge means you'll occasionally bust out slick-rear end high-damage moves. NIN also has excellent burst to the extent that you never feel like you're punching sand in fights.

Plus if you're like me and you came to FF14 from WoW, Ninja's faster action speed (via Huton) kind of blunts the overall slowness of the game

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Rip servers again.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Final Fantasy 90k: in the grim darkness of the expansion release there are only disconnects.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Amgard posted:

Simple but still thoughtful rotation (you're balancing a buff, two debuffs, and your heavy hitter). Good spread of oGCDs. Mudra is fun and versatile. Addition of Ninki gauge means you'll occasionally bust out slick-rear end high-damage moves. NIN also has excellent burst to the extent that you never feel like you're punching sand in fights.

Plus if you're like me and you came to FF14 from WoW, Ninja's faster action speed (via Huton) kind of blunts the overall slowness of the game

So he's basically just a pretty solid design right now?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Jimbot posted:

Can anyone tell me how the deal with the floor 50 boss in The Palace of the Dead? I've attempted it 3 times now and I still don't know anything about the mechanics. I know during one you run in close, but after that every other arena sized area of effect she does hits me. The fear she has I have no idea how to dodge it and it subsequently causes me or my party to get hit by In Health then we just all die.

Also can anyone explain what level your equipment is? Is the the overall gear score or is it the "Gear Strength" under your name in the save slot? What level is good for what floors? I'd look at the wiki but it offers nothing useful. I don't even know how this is remotely possible with a matched team filled with nothing but DPS. She just does no damage and if you didn't get any Steel buffs you're hosed. Might be easier to just run 1-40 forever.

If you see an eyeball, turn around.

Look at your feet while you fight. Stop casting and move out of templates. Use self-healing if you get hit.

None of your outside-PotD gear matters; all that matters is how high the +value is on your weapon and armor. Aetherpool wep determines your damage/healing/enmity generated, armor determines the strength of your gear and how survivable you are.

You keep the pluses you get out of blue chests even if you wipe, so if you can't move when your feet are in attacks and turn around on the eyeball then eventually you'll do enough damage and be resilient enough that it doesn't matter.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Trainmonk posted:

So he's basically just a pretty solid design right now?

Ninjas lost virtually nothing from their kit that wasn't made up for or made better, and their SB-added moves, while not particularly clever, are fun to use and extremely useful for NIN

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
As far as I can tell, Ninja only got buffed. By doing things like removing two DoTs, adding True Hit, and allowing Duality to crit, NIN numbers are on their way up. Not only are they hitting harder, but it feels like I'm hitting faster with the addition of the Ninki gauge. Now after fighting for a while you can toss a frog or use Bhavacakra to slap some extra DPS down. That plus some QoL stuff like additional Shukuchi during fights where you need to move to and from the boss frequently (hello Alexander) and the death of poisons is nice.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Amgard posted:

Ninjas lost virtually nothing from their kit that wasn't made up for or made better, and their SB-added moves, while not particularly clever, are fun to use and extremely useful for NIN

Thanks for the info.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tried to queue for front lines and now I'm in a 1000+ person queue back into the server oops

Avoid DF tonight if possible

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Got kicked out to a 1200 person queue because I tried to do the first Red Mage quest. Oops.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

it is glorious. I am eager to get the skill that grants a chakra when a party member uses a weaponskill. Alas, that is a lvl 70 skill, but I can dream...

Thanks to Brotherhood, I learned yesterday that Forbidden Chakra has a cooldown timer.

:getin:

In less happy news, I 90k'd while entering a duty, waited in queue behind 800 people, and immediately 90k'd again. Ugh.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

The only fall damage you take is when you let yourself down #ironbody #fit2fight #swole #inspiration

post workout glow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Devotion is a tremendously stupid ability on a long cooldown.