Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Yond Cassius posted:

Personally, I think it's interesting to watch TheAngryDrunk getting better at the 'genre conventions' of that kind of Maxim style, over the... wow, five years or so... that he's been around this thread (and he has been getting better at it). I wonder if he'll get bored of it and start doing something more expressive, or if he'll just get that one aesthetic nailed down really tight. I'm not a fan particularly, but I don't get a Creepy Uncle Terry vibe from him either, so as long as people are having fun and nobody's getting hurt, I generally enjoy seeing a diversity of approaches and subjects on here. We're all reaching for different goals, after all; we can't all be doing deep, insightful portraits revealing the painful servitude of potted plants in suburbia.

If nothing else I usually find his posts a good exercise: I think about what he was going for and see how I might find a way to be happy working with the same five-to-ten-word concept. Sometimes the answer is "Well, it might work. I'd give it a good swing if you pitched it to me, but I'd probably bin the results", but that's good too; sometimes you learn more from the misses.

Agree with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Untitled by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
I have a question some of you could probably answer for me. What is the appropriate cut off area when taking a picture like this:

I wasn't trying to do anything special here, but my niece said "take a picture of us", and every single time I am in a situation like that, I completely blank about where to cut off. Is it the knees? Waist? Shoulders for closer shots? Was the cut off appropriate for that shot? Is "cut off" the correct terminology for this?

And one more "portrait" for fun:

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 21, 2017

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Don't crop at the limbs. Looks like you did it right.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Choicecut posted:

I have a question some of you could probably answer for me. What is the appropriate cut off area when taking a picture like this:

I wasn't trying to do anything special here, but my niece said "take a picture of us", and every single time I am in a situation like that, I completely blank about where to cut off. Is it the knees? Waist? Shoulders for closer shots? Was the cut off appropriate for that shot? Is "cut off" the correct terminology for this?

He's a quick crop to the only thing the dorkroom cares about in a photo hope it helps

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

8th-snype posted:

He's a quick crop to the only thing the dorkroom cares about in a photo hope it helps

Some of us like boobies, too.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
Trying to find some different angles for my portraits.

https://500px.com/photo/216631631/gloria-2-by-kevin-gao?ctx_page=1&from=user&user_id=13139537

I like her expression here, the background I don't think adds a whole lot. The leaves are a bit messy.

https://500px.com/photo/216630475/chen-chen-by-kevin-gao

This was on a rooftop bar. The background again isnt the best but it was the best place to have the city in the background. If I had some more time I could have probably found a better place to perch up.

Still trying to master the whole lighting thing. A good flash can also be useful to create lighting differences between a subject and a background. I should look at more strobist stuff for inspiration.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Choicecut posted:

This is, indeed, very fun.

I support this photograph as a high ceiling fetishist.

Untitled by Jason Martin, on Flickr

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

8th-snype posted:

It's good to know that there are other goons who care about men's plaid shorts. :)

Thanks for the graphic isheep. Going through all the photos from that day it looks like most fall in the green zone. There are a couple that are cutting it close, so I may toss those.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
Trying not to be that dad that only takes 27,814 pictures on his phone. Lately we've been using our "nice" camera to take pictures of our son. All candid shots - feedback appreciated.

IMG_1119
by Jack Vickrey, on Flickr

IMG_1135

IMG_1132

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
dont cut off body parts

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Try and take photos where he isn't dribbley and snotty, your son will appreciate those a lot more in 10-20 years. Try get photos where he's emoting too, they are going to be a lot cuter/funnier than photos where hes just vegging out. Especially if hes chucking a tanty over something dumb.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Moskva 6x9 shots from a local re-enactment event.

Moskva_Airshow003.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Moskva_Airshow004.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Wild EEPROM posted:

dont cut off body parts

underage at the vape shop posted:

Try and take photos where he isn't dribbley and snotty, your son will appreciate those a lot more in 10-20 years. Try get photos where he's emoting too, they are going to be a lot cuter/funnier than photos where hes just vegging out. Especially if hes chucking a tanty over something dumb.

Thanks, good info to take into consideration. Not really a fan of those "oh you look like you just murdered a cat with everything covered in beets" shots, so hopefully that'll help. The biggest challenge is that he rarely sits still.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If we're talking dadshots, I started in a spot a lot like yours and have picked up a few pointers.

1) Shoot a little wider and crop vs trying to pin every shot straight down. It's always going to be easy to crop into something like this (which is probably a 50% crop)

Flair by Matt Philpott, on Flickr

And sometimes you end up with a shot you didn't really expect but turn out to be really happy with, like

Rooted by Matt Philpott, on Flickr

2) Really work to figure out natural light. Almost all your shooting is going to be outdoors or window-lit. I went through a phase of trying to tote around a big bag with flashes and filters and the whole thing, but it doesn't take long to learn that's a suicide mission. Figure out where the good light is in your house and how to work with it. Outdoors, particularly, think about shadows on faces.

Hair by Matt Philpott, on Flickr

3) Anecdotally, the pictures I love most of my girls are of them moving around and doing things (particularly together) over the portraity stuff, so don't feel bad about him being wiggly. Don't sweat so much about making art of him, because you won't remember any of this as being particularly artistic.

Garden by Matt Philpott, on Flickr

Just learn to light on the fly, learn to fix your crops (and clean up boogies) in post, and every other parent will think you're a magician. Also be careful when you lean over to pick him up with a camera around your neck, because you will smash him in the face with your lens.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

iSheep posted:

Don't crop at the limbs. Looks like you did it right.

Like this?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
V's Return by Jason, on Flickr

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

July 18: Nothing better than a beard
by Spookygonk, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Had another go at low key portraits.

Chloë 30 by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Chloë 18 by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Chloë 5 by Iain Compton, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Helen Highwater posted:

Had another go at low key portraits.

Chloë 30 by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Chloë 18 by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Chloë 5 by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Can I ask why the low key lighting? I mean your technique is okay but it looks like you just chose a lighting technique based on it having a cool sounding name. It's not really being used to accentuate form or anything in these, it's mostly just removing a background which makes the weird chairs look really out of place. Was this a shoot for gothgirlsingrandpachairs.com?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I mostly wanted to try a darker set. After the first edit, I realised that the strong low key effect wasn't going to work as well as it sounded in my head. In the interest of not just having disembodied bits of skin floating on a black background I ended up bumping the exposure and lowering contrast a fair bit during post.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
The consistent posing was . . . interesting in the abstract, but made for a lot of "same" photos.

Eclipse12 by B. B., on Flickr

Eclipse8 by B. B., on Flickr

Eclipse9 by B. B., on Flickr

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Yep those are definitely the same as every other photo of people lookin at the eclipse

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yep those are definitely the same as every other photo of people lookin at the eclipse

The only one i really like is the couple, they just seem so posed and mannequin like.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Pictish Trail by David Galletly, on Flickr

Photoshopped photo of a musician for his upcoming tour poster. Got him to spew out strawberry milk a bunch of times and stitched together a few different takes. Going for a kinda-symmetrical-kinda not thing. There are a million mistakes if you look closely but time was tight and I don't often take photos so I just tried my best.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Well at least for once the horrifying photo in the portrait thread is a dude.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Horrifying Dudes.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Tenterhooks posted:

Pictish Trail by David Galletly, on Flickr

Photoshopped photo of a musician for his upcoming tour poster. Got him to spew out strawberry milk a bunch of times and stitched together a few different takes. Going for a kinda-symmetrical-kinda not thing. There are a million mistakes if you look closely but time was tight and I don't often take photos so I just tried my best.

Well, that's fun.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

iSheep fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 9, 2017

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
quote not edit

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I did a shoot for a local 'hostess club' and they decided that they didn't want the images I shot after all - despite the fact that the manageress was there with me and I showed her every picture as I took it.

They are all safe for work.

IMG_8911.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_8893.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
My man you took some really unflattering photos of these women I wouldn't use these photos either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

iSheep posted:

My man you took some really unflattering photos of these women I wouldn't use these photos either.