Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/JayBauman1/status/877327842215952385

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Disney wanted to create a Han Solo origin movie, while Miller and Lord just wanted to make a Han Solo adventure without needing to tell his backstory.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

FrensaGeran posted:

Young Lando: I knew you were a scoundrel, Han. I knew you liked to cross boundaries, but I never knew you could go SO LOW as to rape my wife!

:honk:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Arcsquad12 posted:

Disney wanted to create a Han Solo origin movie, while Miller and Lord just wanted to make a Han Solo adventure without needing to tell his backstory.

I've wondered this, and RLM asked this too, but why do studios interfere?

They hire directors known for a certain style and type of product (Snyder, Ayer, Gunn, etc) and then gently caress with that they're trying to do. Why hire them in the first place. Just get someone like Brett Ratner who will make exactly what you tell him to do.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Because they want the loving name. It's all branding.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Jose Oquendo posted:

They hire directors known for a certain style and type of product (Snyder, Ayer, Gunn, etc) and then gently caress with that they're trying to do. Why hire them in the first place. Just get someone like Brett Ratner who will make exactly what you tell him to do.

Because if they don't change anything it means they are superfluous to the process so changing things is justifying their jobs.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Because they think they know something. They think they're with it and get what the audience wants. Go dig up the Frank Zappa vid where he explains the music industry, its really valid to all forms of the entertainment business. Even in my extremely limited local interactions with it.

The only modern movie exec I can think who might actually be right about thing is probably Harvey Weinstein? Maybe? Has he started loving up lately? Does Miramix even exist? jesus im out of touch.

Giga Gaia fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 21, 2017

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Giga Gaia posted:

Because they think they know something. They think they're with it and get what the audience wants. Go dig up the Frank Zappa vid where he explains the music industry, its really valid to all forms of the entertainment business. Even in my extremely limited local interactions with it.

The only modern movie exec I can think who might actually be right about thing is probably Harvey Weinstein? Maybe? Has he started loving up lately?

Harvey Scissorhands? He tried to make Snowpiercer an action movie and cut back the number of theaters it showed in. He also gets a lot of good stuff made.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Wubba lubba DUB DUB!!

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Dmitri-9 posted:

Harvey Scissorhands? He tried to make Snowpiercer an action movie and cut back the number of theaters it showed in. He also gets a lot of good stuff made.

Haha, welp. I just associate him with a lot of movies I've really enjoyed, I suppose. Every interview I've seen with him back when I cared about movies he has that "cigar chomping" old school vibe to him, as well.

There's gotta be some good producers around, though. How else does something like Nightcrawler get made?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Accident mostly.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

FrensaGeran posted:

Young Lando: I knew you were a scoundrel, Han. I knew you liked to cross boundaries, but I never knew you could go SO LOW as to rape my wife!
Young Han: I don't care, and my name is now Han Solo.

*Young Han pulls out laminated galactic sex laws and shoves them in cgi Obi-Wan's face*

I don't care what the force says old man, according to the law it's ok for me to bang 15-year old Leia!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Alright I'll give you your ransom just stop publishing the contents of my private journals!

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Han Solo got the name Han Solo because he originally was named "Hans YOLO" but didn't want people to think he was an out-of-touch German man trying to be hip to the internet youths of 5 years ago.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Why not make a Star Wars movie that takes place a thousand years into the past, or a century or two into the future? Nothing to do with any of the characters in either the original trilogy or prequel trilogy. Instead, have a whole new cast of characters and whole new villains and whole new conflict and whole new story, and no Galactic Empire or Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker or Han Solo or Boba Fett or Jango Fett or Yoda or Obi-Wan Kenobi or Jabba the Hutt or stormtroopers or C-3PO or R2-D2 or Chewbacca or Tie Fighters or X-Wings or AT-AT walkers or AT-STs. You can still have the Force and whatever but have new characters and story.

Or better yet, make an entirely original movie that is inspired by Star Wars and similar media, but with a new setting and universe and stuff that was uniquely created. A rollicking space opera of high adventure and good guys and bad guys and weird aliens and crazy poo poo happening and lots of fun, but it isnt based on any existing franchise or IP. Just an original movie that is of the same genre and tone of Star Wars and things like it.

Is that too much to ask?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Blue Star posted:

Or better yet, make an entirely original movie that is inspired by Star Wars and similar media, but with a new setting and universe and stuff that was uniquely created. A rollicking space opera of high adventure and good guys and bad guys and weird aliens and crazy poo poo happening and lots of fun, but it isnt based on any existing franchise or IP. Just an original movie that is of the same genre and tone of Star Wars and things like it.

Is that too much to ask?

gaurdians of the galaxy
it's barely a marvel movie because it doesn't tie in and it heavily reinvents from the comics
it even has a little bit of the mythology thing only instead of practicing any religion they kill cosmic space gods

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
also that valerians thing is coming out
whatever it is

there's been some sci fi movies out but they seem to either be horror, trying to be smart, or both. not like the star wars type adventure movies where you having space ships wooshing and pewpewpewing AND sword fights AND gun fights

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Blue Star posted:

Is that too much to ask?

Space Cop

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
if they're gonna have a Star Wars movie every year, i want them to go nuts with it. darth Vader as Jason voorhees was a great idea but they didn't go far enough with it. like in the spirit of iron man 3 being a buddy cop throwback and Kong skull island being a vietnam movie, they could just have like david lynch or the coens do -whatever the gently caress they want- and get something weird and crazy for one of those years
it's such a vibrant, crazy universe and we keep going back to the same 6 loving people. give me a heist movie on coruscant.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Blue Star posted:

Why not make a Star Wars movie that takes place a thousand years into the past, or a century or two into the future? Nothing to do with any of the characters in either the original trilogy or prequel trilogy. Instead, have a whole new cast of characters and whole new villains and whole new conflict and whole new story, and no Galactic Empire or Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker or Han Solo or Boba Fett or Jango Fett or Yoda or Obi-Wan Kenobi or Jabba the Hutt or stormtroopers or C-3PO or R2-D2 or Chewbacca or Tie Fighters or X-Wings or AT-AT walkers or AT-STs. You can still have the Force and whatever but have new characters and story.

That's basically KOTOR and it owns.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jose Oquendo posted:

Eh Feige has been pretty fair to the directors for Marvel movies sans Wright and the GOT person who did Thor 2.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cubone posted:

if they're gonna have a Star Wars movie every year, i want them to go nuts with it. darth Vader as Jason voorhees was a great idea but they didn't go far enough with it. like in the spirit of iron man 3 being a buddy cop throwback and Kong skull island being a vietnam movie, they could just have like david lynch or the coens do -whatever the gently caress they want- and get something weird and crazy for one of those years
it's such a vibrant, crazy universe and we keep going back to the same 6 loving people. give me a heist movie on coruscant.

It's not a vibrant crazy universe though. Rich is right, Star Wars is a very small universe. Sometimes they play that well and you get a Rogue One, and sometimes they fail like the prequels and Force Awakens.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So regarding transformer5

was doug here correct?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctembQrH_0k

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
lmao if you paid to unban yourself

you week pathetic chump

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

lmao if you paid to unban yourself

you week pathetic chump
I didn't even pay for this avatar man.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I was having a thought today about John de Hart's Geteven, and the Shimmy Slide. RLM wondered if he thought it could be a hit, and I was thinking, de Hart probably was thinking, "If Achy Breaky Heart can top the charts, I bet Shimmy Slide can too."

Then I checked: Achy Breaky Heart came out in 92, and Geteven in 93. So I feel like I'm probably right.

I also feel like John de Hart believes that in a slightly different world, he would BE the action star in his movie, and he's just injecting his amazing self into it. I think it's a real Double Down situation.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yug posted:

It's not a vibrant crazy universe though. Rich is right, Star Wars is a very small universe. Sometimes they play that well and you get a Rogue One, and sometimes they fail like the prequels and Force Awakens.

Yug I dont think its fair you were asked doxxx yourself. But I also dont think its fair you deprive us of your alphamale manliness.

Can you please just Doxxx your penis?

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ups_rail posted:

Yug I dont think its fair you were asked doxxx yourself. But I also dont think its fair you deprive us of your alphamale manliness.

Can you please just Doxxx your penis?

Never give away for free what you can charge money for.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Ups_rail posted:

was doug here correct?

no

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ups_rail posted:

was doug here correct?

lol, nice try but I don't watch nostalgia critic's garbage

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm not watching Doug Walker scream and wave a fake gun around

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ups_rail posted:

was doug here correct?

gently caress you

Cubone
May 26, 2011

he should attach "not a review" to everything he's ever done

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Yug posted:

You're no pecos bill but maybe one day~

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

gently caress you

:saddowns: hey....I thought it was a neat gimmick he didnt even watch the move, he is tired of them and tried to guess how this movie would play out.

To the people that saw trans 5 was doug correct?

I mean yes he is no mike and jay....but come on thats such a high bar to set.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ups_rail posted:

:saddowns: hey....I thought it was a neat gimmick he didnt even watch the move, he is tired of them and tried to guess how this movie would play out.

I mean yes he is no mike and jay....but come on thats such a high bar to set.

nostalgia critic is a worse character that yug everyone knows this

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Yug posted:

I disagree with you a lot, but that ban was some grade A bullshit.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JB50 posted:

Nah, ban all the alt-right fuckos and Make SA Great Again.

They would appreciate the irony of being walled out of somewhere.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

JB50 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtOEig1l8SA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ups_rail posted:

no one should watch transformers 5 and no one should watch the nostalgia critic so if there is a god in heaven hopefully this question will forever remain unanswered.

• Locked thread