Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

eSporks posted:

Whats a bav player?

It's an invocation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

lol

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

It's an invocation.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
*skilled legacy player thinking really hard* i think it's good when i lose to reanimator and wasteland decks

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Shouldn't it say Gitaxian Probe?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

suicidesteve posted:

Gitaxian probe is a very skill testing interactive card.

Do I go for the freebie or pay full retail? Cast it now, also now, or immediately?

So many decisions.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

suicidesteve posted:

The best Modern ban.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
For those of you who play vintage: how do you feel about bringing in 2x stage 2x depths and a 2nd loam in punishing depths? Seems like everyone just rams in cages and enchantment removal against oath. Is it too slow or what?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The March Hare posted:

For those of you who play vintage: how do you feel about bringing in 2x stage 2x depths and a 2nd loam in punishing depths? Seems like everyone just rams in cages and enchantment removal against oath. Is it too slow or what?

bring in 4x Monastery Mentor, 3x Tundra, 1x Gush, 1x Gitaxian Probe

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Cactrot posted:

Gitaxian probe is a very skill testing interactive card.

Do I go for the freebie or pay full retail? Cast it now, also now, or immediately?

So many decisions.

I don't disagree with the sentiment; however casting git probe later is a real option that not enough people take. Playing GP properly in doomsday was also really tricky since it was an important combo piece on top of being info.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

eSporks posted:

I don't disagree with the sentiment; however casting git probe later is a real option that not enough people take. Playing GP properly in doomsday was also really tricky since it was an important combo piece on top of being info.

I like that you took my joke post seriously.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Cactrot posted:

I like that you took my joke post seriously.
Good humor has a basis in truth.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

bring in 4x Monastery Mentor, 3x Tundra, 1x Gush, 1x Gitaxian Probe

Already running probe, but gently caress mentor imo.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Goons, why do I enjoy playing Mono U Tron so much? I know it's never going to be tier 1, but I'm playing exclusively right now on mtgo and went 4-0 at the last paper event I went to. Winning with it is just so satisfying, especially against things like burn and affinity.

Mef989 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 19, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

it's because blue is the most noble color and to play mono u is to play magic the way God and Richard Garfield intended

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

it's because blue is the most noble color and to play mono u is to play magic the way God and Richard Garfield intended
Agreed.
_____/

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

I'm probably going to have to steal this line at some point.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The real problem is that magic used to be a game about powerful wizards flinging spells at one another to determine the victor of a duel. Now it's a bunch of bedraggled zookeepers desperately flinging animals at each other.

All the dignity is gone from the game unless you choose to be a wizard in a zookeeper's world.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

L0cke17 posted:

The real problem is that magic used to be a game about powerful wizards flinging spells at one another to determine the victor of a duel. Now it's a bunch of bedraggled zookeepers desperately flinging animals at each other.

All the dignity is gone from the game unless you choose to be a wizard in a zookeeper's world.

Come to vintage, where wizards still reign supreme. Well, wizards with entire monasteries full of monks at their backs.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Excuse you sir. We necromancers enjoy the company of creatures...even if they have to die to join us.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ville Valo posted:

Come to vintage, where wizards still reign supreme. Well, wizards with entire monasteries full of monks at their backs.

Don't forget all the brown robots which are totally good and not bad.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Ville Valo posted:

it's extremely flavorful that a wizard has a bunch of dudes to go pummel things with their fists for him

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

it's extremely flavorful that a wizard has a bunch of dudes to go pummel things with their fists for him

And is able to summon other wizard bros which are able to teach him the secrets of the world as long as those secrets are how to summon more of those dudes to go pummel things.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
It's me, the hipster wizard zookeeper that just pulls out a (managorger) hydra and throws it at my opponent in Vintage.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Ville Valo posted:

I only play vintage pretty much now. Except for the occasional foray back into legacy. But now that top is banned I have basically no stake in the format anymore. ~4 years straight of miracles has ruined all the worse control decks for me.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

L0cke17 posted:

I only play vintage pretty much now. Except for the occasional foray back into legacy. But now that top is banned I have basically no stake in the format anymore. ~4 years straight of miracles has ruined all the worse control decks for me.

Dehumanize and submit to combo. Play belcher. You get to go for walks outside between rounds because you get like 40-60 extra minutes of free time /per round/. More of some rear end in a top hat is playing a draw go mirror.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I distinctly remember the one MTG novel I ever read, back in like '97 or something, about this wandering wizard that took on the established houses (colors) in some tournament where most of the action was them summoning Mons Goblin Raiders and whatnot at each other. One of the climactic battles the other guy summed a

and some fodder, and the hero fireballed all the elves and small junk so the

ate his controller

it was pretty sweet at the time

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Nosre posted:

I distinctly remember the one MTG novel I ever read, back in like '97 or something, about this wandering wizard that took on the established houses (colors) in some tournament where most of the action was them summoning Mons Goblin Raiders and whatnot at each other. One of the climactic battles the other guy summed a

and some fodder, and the hero fireballed all the elves and small junk so the

ate his controller

it was pretty sweet at the time

Arena. It is my favorite mtg novel to this day because it is exactly how I always imagined Magic as a kid when I started playing.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

hell yea! I was mad I didn't save the receipt when my mom bought it so I could send away for the promo card :(

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

leper khan posted:

Dehumanize and submit to combo. Play belcher. You get to go for walks outside between rounds because you get like 40-60 extra minutes of free time /per round/. More of some rear end in a top hat is playing a draw go mirror.

I think my own personal hatred for combo comes from playing against Show and Tell every Wednesday for Legacy. The guy playing the deck was one of the the three shop owners and would just beat up anyone he could quickly with Show and Tell. If he got first, then he got store credit and got to use his employee discount on top of it.

It was fuckin lovely.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Same except TES.

Whooooo you won the die roll and goldfished 26 goblins on turn 1 with Cabal Therapy. Repeat weekly for months on end.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It was also a place where the only way to win credit as a prize was to place first and you had to use it that day, so you couldn't build it up to buy some expensive card, just get a $10 discount. Prize packs couldn't be traded in or anything and I didn't have the sense yet to just stash my prize packs.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Same except TES.

Whooooo you won the die roll and goldfished 26 goblins on turn 1 with Cabal Therapy. Repeat weekly for months on end.

I think I need to just go back to Spanish Inquisition, it's much better with dark petition. Nothing quite like casting slithermuse and cruel bargain when your opponent has no idea what's going on. Also my favorite play is watching my opponents face make all sorts of ridiculous expressions when you summoners pact for deathrite shaman (or odious trow before deathrite was printed) just to pin it under chrome Mox then fetching a dryad arbor to culling the weak with it.

First time I did that my opponent just sort of looked at me and said 'you know you can just play dark ritual, right?'

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Cross-post from the main thread, the guy who recently Top 8'd GP Vegas with UB Taking Turns posted a very thorough trip report on Reddit. It's a good read, even though the deck is very annoying to play against.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

C-Euro posted:

Cross-post from the main thread, the guy who recently Top 8'd GP Vegas with UB Taking Turns posted a very thorough trip report on Reddit. It's a good read, even though the deck is very annoying to play against.

On the other hand, be ready for every wise-rear end at your local LGS to show up with this at the next Modern event.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It seems like a deck that's pretty easy to misplay and eat poo poo with.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

On the other hand, be ready for every wise-rear end at your local LGS to show up with this at the next Modern event.

We actually have a guy who's been showing up with Mono-U Turns for about a year now. I was playing against him on Mill and I landed a turn 2 Mesmeric Orb when he was tapped out. He cast his first Time Walk, realized what that meant with Orb in play, and immediately scooped.

Ghost Quarter is also really effective, especially game 1 before they can bring in any alternate wincons.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I've been running mono blue for a month.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
poo poo, I forgot last weeks, so here's a modern league update DOUBLE HEADER!

I'm playing 42 land seismic swans in my local Modern League. Today was round 4, the last round before cut to top 8.

R1 vs Naya Burn win 2-0

R2 vs Affinity Win 2-1

Round 3 (last weeks) vs infect: Lose 0-2

Going in to this match I thought this was a slam dunk win for me. Lose the die roll. Hubris is real.

G1: I keep 4 land, seismic assault, swans hand. Opponent plays hierarch into blighted agent. I get to T3 and land the Seismic assault and go to kill the blighted agent. Toss a land at agent, opponent responds with mutagenic growth. Repeat this sequence 3 more times. That's right he had the quad mutagenic growth hand, so I passed the turn, and he had the become immense for game 1

G2: I keep a Molten vortex hand, but my opponent has the T2 pendlehaven (which puts in unlimited work against swans) eventually he has a board of 4 creatures and get me. Whoops.

Round 4 (today) vs Elves: Win 2-1

Lose the die roll

G1: My opponent goes T1 else into T2 Throne of the God Pharaoh. Oh word. I get a T3 Seismic assault, and spend a few land staving off lethal, but I get to the T4 swans with a land in hand and pitch the land drawing treasure hunt and loving serum visions. gently caress.

G2: I get the T3 assault and my opponent has the T3 Rec Sage (which I kill), I cast a second Seismic which also gets Rec Sage'd, eventually I land double swans into my opponents empty board and just swing in with flying beats.

G3: My opponent goes into the tank before keeping, and then immediately T1 pithing needles Seismic Assault. We play draw go for a turn or two and he casts a T3 Ezuri, which I immediately bolt with the singleton bolt in the sideboard. I land a swans, and pass, opponent plays a creature and passes. I swing with swans, opponent CoCo's and takes 4. I cast a second swans and pass. Opponent swings and puts me to 15 (I had gained love from Swiftwater Cliffs earlier) I untap, swing for 8 opponent CoCo's again and puts more power on the board, I cast Anger of the Gods, wipe the board, and draw six. Then cast a Molten Vortex and Pass. Opponent scoops.

A+ Swans deck. And now I'm locked for a top 4 seed position in the cut to top 8 next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

We actually have a guy who's been showing up with Mono-U Turns for about a year now. I was playing against him on Mill and I landed a turn 2 Mesmeric Orb when he was tapped out. He cast his first Time Walk, realized what that meant with Orb in play, and immediately scooped.

Ghost Quarter is also really effective, especially game 1 before they can bring in any alternate wincons.

That really shouldn't be a problem. Find your cryptics, find your gigadrowse, and you could win. And your archive traps are bad because of the lack of fetches.