Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's very heavily implied that all life on earth is intrinsically connected to the Heart of Darkness, so if the Flame represents an opposing force it's pretty easy to do the math on what it's really all about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
One of the districts, Altar of Light, has a skull for a centerpiece. If it's not a death cult then it's at least highly morbid, with a message of self-annihilation.

e: I hope the next DLC features a desecrated temple of the Light, and you come across a bloodsoaked altar for human sacrifice, and then a religious character in the party says "Well at least they left this intact."

The flagellant is cool and he seems at least solid. Has anyone tried turning him into a dedicated healer? I've mostly used him for damage so far and he's been good at it, but maybe he can do more.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 20, 2017

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Anyone else notice that Marks got changed to where they absolutely draw attacks now? This definetly makes Crusaders/Lepers/MaA's fill a tank role now, but also makes things like the Fungal Artillery and late-game Cult Witches much more dangerous.

Ragnar34 posted:

One of the districts, Altar of Light, has a skull for a centerpiece. If it's not a death cult then it's at least highly morbid, with a message of self-annihilation.

e: I hope the next DLC features a desecrated temple of the Light, and you come across a bloodsoaked altar for human sacrifice, and then a religious character in the party says "Well at least they left this intact."

The flagellant is cool and he seems at least solid. Has anyone tried turning him into a dedicated healer? I've mostly used him for damage so far and he's been good at it, but maybe he can do more.

His one skill that is a %-based heal already makes him a rad healer. I dunno about dedicated though since he needs to be halfway to hell for his good heal and I've yet to focus on his regen skill.

Having his %-Heal and his Stress heal though makes him incredibly versatile in my eyes, especially with his good damage output. He's good at being a stand in for off-healers or a Jester, though nothing will top 50+ damage finales.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Bank- 5% interest on your savings for just 55 portraits? You realize how fast that is going to pay for itself?

Eh, that's 19 inventory slots worth of portraits, and it isn't too common to even pick up one full stack of three on a quest. You can shave some time off with quest rewards, but it's still ~15 weeks worth of portraits right there, and if you prioritize the bank over the guild, you're not going into higher level dungeons because you can't upgrade your heroes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bad Seafood posted:

The problem with that interpretation is the religious characters do get their powers from somewhere. When the Vestal prays for healing or the Crusader prepares a holy rebuke against the undead, these abilities have observable effects removed from the realm of the Plauge Doctor's mad science and the Occultist's eldritch invocations. Something, somewhere, is granting these adventurers the strength to stand against the unholy tide, even if they've failed to correctly identify what it is.

Just because they have special powers doesn't mean the Flame is any sort of conscious entity that grants them. A literal fire can burn you and also be harassed as a source of power, but it doesn't have any sort of thought process. Its just a force of nature.

Light and fire are usually associated with enlightenment, but I think Darkest Dungeon takes the opposite approach. Here fire is associated with ignorance, as it lets you avoid confronting the reality of the world. The best example of this is that the most damaging skill in the game is literally called Revelation, and seems to be forcing the horrible truth of the world upon the victim. The only way to endure it is by carrying a talisman of flame. Something you can cling to obscure the knowledge being forced upon you.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 21, 2017

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Internet Kraken posted:

Just because they have special powers doesn't mean the Flame is any sort of conscious entity that grants them. A literal fire can burn you and also be harassed as a source of power, but it doesn't have any sort of thought process. Its just a force of nature.

Light and fire are usually associated with enlightenment, but I think Darkest Dungeon takes the opposite approach. Here fire is associated with ignorance, as it lets you avoid confronting the reality of the world. The best example of this is that the most damaging skill in the game is literally called Revelation, and seems to be forcing the horrible truth of the world upon the victim. The only way to endure it is by carrying a talisman of flame. Something you can cling to obscure the knowledge being forced upon you.

This interpretation makes an immense amount of sense once you view the Flame in the context of a fire at a book burning. A literal destroyer of knowledge and truth, its just that the knowledge and truth in this universe takes the form of horrifying secrets beyond mortal ken.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Whats a good party that makes use of Marking? I've never really tried to abuse that mechanic before.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Arbalest, dogman, bounty hunter, someone else

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Alternatively:

Dogman,dogman,dogman,dogman

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I like the Occultist's mark because it's the only one that actually does damage. While he doesn't benefit from marked targets, he's pretty fast which is useful.

With the buff to Wyrd Reconstruction, I forsee him being in position 2 with stun, Mark, Stab and heal. First turn he marks then he stuns and stabs the rest of the battle.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Novum posted:

Arbalest, dogman, bounty hunter, someone else
grave robber's thrown dagger is better against marked targets as well

arbalest/grave robber/houndmaster/bounty hunter is named "firing squad" which makes sense

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
hotfix posted just now buffs the crocodile lol

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

IronicDongz posted:

grave robber's thrown dagger is better against marked targets as well

arbalest/grave robber/houndmaster/bounty hunter is named "firing squad" which makes sense

I tried a party almost like that, and it was annoying because the grave robber had the highest speed and she has no way of marking anything herself, so the first turn is sorta wasted on the marking concept.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Soup du Journey posted:

hotfix posted just now buffs the crocodile lol

Clears bleed and blight, haha. Only reason I beat him was because of stacking bleed.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Node posted:

I tried a party almost like that, and it was annoying because the grave robber had the highest speed and she has no way of marking anything herself, so the first turn is sorta wasted on the marking concept.
You can always give her something which slows her down. (Or someone else something which speeds them up.)

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Can someone explain how to get invitations? All I've heard mentioned is that there's some sort of infestation level that can spawn enemies carrying invitations.

Also has anyone managed to get blueprints aside from bosses? I've been testing the DLC out in a cleared file and aside from an event giving me a blueprint I haven't found any others.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
One cool thing about the Arbalest is her camp skills kind of revolve around the idea of a mark team- Marching Orders gives everyone else a speed boost, and restring Crossbow gives her a speed malus. This isn't a bad thing per se- you want her to go after someone marking a target anyway.

Of the anti-mark abilities:

Arbalest has the best, because its a full double damage plus more crit on top of that, to the extent that over a long battle its even worth it for her to waste a turn marking for herself (on average).

This is followed by the Bounty Hunter, whose Collect Bounty isn't quite as good, but has anti-human. The main downside is it only hits the first two rows, so there's a lot of encounters where it isn't easy to make the most of it.

Grave Robber's Thrown dagger comes up next, because it is an ability so effective you'll probably be spamming it anyway; having someone marking a target just makes it even more effective than it already is. Who cares if you wasted the first turn throwing it at an unmarked target? You now have an ACC buff and are that much more likely to land the killing blow on the marked target next round!

Houndmaster's Hound Rush is also solid here, because it has anti-beast and bleed on top of everything else, so even a mere +25% is icing on the cake.

Coming up in the lovely rear is Highwayman's Pistol Shot. It doesn't have the ACC buff that thrown dagger has, and to add insult to injury, has a damage mod that makes it straight up less effective than his melee attacks. So the only benefit to shooting with a pistol is if you had two trinkets with ranged bonuses, and were shooting at a marked target in position 4.

Overall, they all seem good, except for Pistol Shot, which I'd give like a +50% bonus to damage vs marked targets since by default it is so crappy.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

White Coke posted:

Can someone explain how to get invitations? All I've heard mentioned is that there's some sort of infestation level that can spawn enemies carrying invitations.

Also has anyone managed to get blueprints aside from bosses? I've been testing the DLC out in a cleared file and aside from an event giving me a blueprint I haven't found any others.

At the highest infestation level there are Gatekeepers that spawn in enemy mobs. Killing them drops invitations.

I actually found it more practical to start on a new save because I heard you only get blueprints from bosses, and the chance to get some of those baller Crimson Court trinkets early on was very tempting.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Marking parties are very rad. I usually take an occultist as my 4th for heals since he can also mark and is fast

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Makaris will gripe about their overall effectiveness, but I love the idea of having some A-team type synergy where everyone is directly contributing toward the next ally.

You know what would make Mark teams more practical? Make the 'Mark' debuff based on rounds not actions. RIght now applying marks doesn't even take Debuff chance into account- a perfect example is that you can mark the Brigand Cannon but not debuff it in any way. However, by making Marks limited to actions, multi-action bosses clear it off very fast. If it were based on rounds, then Marks would be a lot better.

Taking it a step further, if some marks, like the Occultist's Vulnerability Hex were permanent, then it would be a lot better. You could only use it once, but like Bulwark of Faith/Tracking shot, you'd only need to use it once.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Anyone else having a bug that kills their saves on load? My new game isn't working :(

No mods, either.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

good dog!

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Is there any reason for me to wait for the steam summer sale to buy this given it's currently 60% off? Has it gone below this in the past?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Is there any reason for me to wait for the steam summer sale to buy this given it's currently 60% off? Has it gone below this in the past?

Given how much replay value it has, I'd say go for it. If you're not ready to brave the mechanics of the new DLC, I'd say hold out until you get the hang of things, but the DLC probably won't go on sale for a long time.

So far almost all my Steam games that were addictive as gently caress were under :20bux:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
question + possible bug observation:

-I opened a thing and it said 'you found a journal entry!' but there was no journal page added to my not-full inventory.
-What do journal entries actually do? They're not stackable and don't seem to do anything when I get back to the village?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh man I love that they let you use wyrd reconstruction in any position now. Position 2 Occultist is way better now.

symphoniccacophony
Mar 20, 2009

redreader posted:

question + possible bug observation:

-I opened a thing and it said 'you found a journal entry!' but there was no journal page added to my not-full inventory.
-What do journal entries actually do? They're not stackable and don't seem to do anything when I get back to the village?

You can right click on journal entry for background flavor text. Journal page not showing up after the found message is probably because you found a page that you already have? That's my guess.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
oh good, gatekeepers can run and fill the board with mosquitos

where do you get blueprints. it said from bosses but i didnt get one after my second croc kill, or killing the flesh

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Supposed to be from boss fights, that's strange.

Yeah those gatekeepers are slippery bastards, bring your best flyswatters.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Is Death Blow resist still capped at 88%? It seems super easy to get that on the Flagellant and I'm wondering if Martyr Seal is worth getting.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Did the hotfix gently caress up blood drops? I haven't gotten any blood drops in the crimson court at all and the first time I tried it I had like 12 before I was halfway through.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Highwang posted:

Is Death Blow resist still capped at 88%? It seems super easy to get that on the Flagellant and I'm wondering if Martyr Seal is worth getting.

Martyr's Seal is worth getting for the buffs alone. It gives like +15% more HP now which is always useful even when you don't happen to be on Death's door.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Anyone else notice the buff and debuff voice clips that are in the game now, and that also happen at every single buff and debuff such as some attack riders and even the stun buff?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
One of the weirdest feelings of dread I've gotten is when I see something like a trinket mention a game mechanic I've never heard of.

How much did the Leper get buffed anyways? I saw one in the coach and still couldn't convince myself to give him another chance.

Highwang posted:

Anyone else notice the buff and debuff voice clips that are in the game now, and that also happen at every single buff and debuff such as some attack riders and even the stun buff?

Yeah Wayne keeps getting really dramatic about that extremely crippling -10% bleed resistance.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 21, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Leper's Intimidate now reduces the target's PROT and damage, making it great against many targets. Even better, from the front spot he can hit any enemy with it. Since he has such high base damage, even the damage modifer on it is still generous enough to finish off weakened enemies in the back.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Highwang posted:

I had one go off on a miss, and again when I hit a corpse on accident. It was like the game was mocking me, which I can appreciate.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i'm terrible at this game and got my whole party murdered by the swine prince

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Getting killed by the Swine Prince because you thought it was a good idea to target Wilbur is a right of passage.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Getting killed by the Swine Prince because you thought it was a good idea to target Wilbur is a right of passage.

It sure happened to me! Haha.

I just realized: The Flagellant is a RPG version of the Psycho from Borderlands 2. Taking damage just pisses him off. Nearly killing himself to save others, making enemies explode into blood... even his basic melee attack looks like he's hitting himself as much as the enemy. He's just short of pulling out a bundle of dynamite when at Death's Door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Terrific Accident posted:

Did the hotfix gently caress up blood drops? I haven't gotten any blood drops in the crimson court at all and the first time I tried it I had like 12 before I was halfway through.

I've gotten them since the hotfix but 12 is a loving insane number of vials to get in a single mission and more like what I've gotten total over 24 weeks.