Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What I read is that he could have plausibly conquered Rome if he had made it his goal to smash the Roman state, rather than force surrender and tribute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Hannibal did repeatedly consider attacking Rome directly but didn't find convincing reason to actually do it. One has to assume he understood the limitations of his forces, I don't think it was that he had the wrong strategic goal but that he didn't feel he could do what he needed to do to beat Rome. It's not entirely clear what exactly he felt he was lacking, but he definitely made every effort to draw allies into the conflict and he did try pretty hard to get reinforcements from Carthaginian Spain which suggests he didn't feel he had enough men to force the issue. Those were never going to be forthcoming though because the whole point of the war was to defend the possessions in Spain against Roman influence -- even when Hasdrubal showed up at the Metaurus it was only because he'd been kicked right out of Iberia.

Yeah historians tell us Maharbal accused Hannibal of not knowing how to exploit his victory, but I see no reason to trust Maharbal's judgment over his commander's. Rome was evidently not about to surrender, it had walls and men willing to defend them, and Hannibal and his not-especially-large army were stuck in the enemy's heartland with no supplies, no reinforcements, no siege equipment and not a lot of friends. He had a lot to lose and may have been entirely justified in choosing not to besiege Rome.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The thing to remember about the second Punic war is that while Hannibal was kicking rear end in Italy, Rome was winning everywhere else. I don't think there's any way he conquers Rome, even at their lowest point in the immediate aftermath of Cannae. I mean this is all obviously conjecture, but to get there quickly would have meant abandoning his own wounded and prisoners of war and leaving his power base in southern Italy. Rome was still defended and there were legions stationed in Sardinia and Sicily which would have been recalled as soon as it was obvious Hannibal was moving against Rome.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I also think it's worth remembering that the Second Punic War wasn't a war of annihilation unlike the Third. In light of the Third, some Romans and latter day pro-Romans liked to frame the Second as being an existential struggle for Romes very being when this was never the case. It was a war about who would be the dominant power in Spain, Hannibal tried to stretch this to become dominant power in Italy also and once that failed Scipio bid to make Rome the dominant power in Africa. Neither city-state set out to smash the other, just to curtail its colonial/imperial ambitions and subjugate the other to the extent that it was able. It's far from clear that Roman defeat in Second Punic War would have meant the destruction of Rome itself and it certainly wasn't necessarily the case that Carthaginian defeat in Second Punic War meant the destruction of Carthage.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

skasion posted:

I also think it's worth remembering that the Second Punic War wasn't a war of annihilation unlike the Third. In light of the Third, some Romans and latter day pro-Romans liked to frame the Second as being an existential struggle for Romes very being when this was never the case. It was a war about who would be the dominant power in Spain, Hannibal tried to stretch this to become dominant power in Italy also and once that failed Scipio bid to make Rome the dominant power in Africa. Neither city-state set out to smash the other, just to curtail its colonial/imperial ambitions and subjugate the other to the extent that it was able. It's far from clear that Roman defeat in Second Punic War would have meant the destruction of Rome itself and it certainly wasn't necessarily the case that Carthaginian defeat in Second Punic War meant the destruction of Carthage.

Cato the elder's speeches probably gave them a pretty good idea on how this would end.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I forget which cities exactly, but Hannibal did turn Italian cities to his side, were there ever any consequences for those that did after he was gone?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Dalael posted:

Cato the elder's speeches probably gave them a pretty good idea on how this would end.

Cato being a snot-nosed military tribune at the time, it's highly unlikely anyone cared what he thought. His famous refrain about what his opinion, moreover, was didn't start until he visited Carthage in 157 (so 40 years after the end of the Second War) and realized that the city was doing just fine, and might conceivably someday again endanger Rome. The mere fact that he spent a number of years loudly reiterating this opinion implies both that the Roman victory in the Second War didn't and wasn't intended to permanently destroy Carthage, and that there was a good deal of political inertia against doing so despite the fact that it would be and was easy to accomplish.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Alan Smithee posted:

I forget which cities exactly, but Hannibal did turn Italian cities to his side, were there ever any consequences for those that did after he was gone?

If I recall correctly, punishment was much lesser for cities that resubmitted to the Romans ASAP.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I know that Capua was punished by the surrender of a bunch of gold, the execution of almost all of the city's Senate, the stripping of the city's political rights, establishment of Roman appointed magistrates, and all of Capuan farm land being declared ager publica

While it wasn't an Italian city, Syracuse was looted and stripped of pretty much everything valuable (and Archimedes was killed, but that was more of an incidental thing.)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I knew about Syracuse and Archimedes but didn't know that was in direct response to the second Punic war. drat timelines

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Making a big example of Capua reduced the need to punish the other cities, I'd imagine.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Capua had also been where Hannibal had had winter quarters, so the Capuans hadn't just allied with him, but sheltered him and his men. That probably contributed to the Romans being a little miffed.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Epicurius posted:

Capua had also been where Hannibal had had winter quarters, so the Capuans hadn't just allied with him, but sheltered him and his men. That probably contributed to the Romans being a little miffed.

Did he winter there before or after Cannae? I can't imagine a city being in any position to say no after Cannae.

If it was before tho, Capua derserved what it got... :colbert:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

A large percentage of Italian cities defected to Hannibal after Cannae but not all of them; not even a majority of them, iirc. Hannibal spent a ton of time trying to conquer or ally with various key cities, probably most notably Tarentum. Capua did, though, and that was huge both metaphorically and literally, because it was the second largest city in Italy at the time.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Capua was almost as old and powerful as Rome itself, and had a history of playing both sides in the various wars for dominance of Italy even after nominally joining the Roman coalition as well as demanding influence over the government of the republic. The Romans were tired of Capua before Hannibal even showed up; siding with him was just the last straw.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
This is the first time I hear of Capua's importance. I guess it isn't preserved well since people don't go there much for ruins..?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Doctor Malaver posted:

This is the first time I hear of Capua's importance. I guess it isn't preserved well since people don't go there much for ruins..?

Actually, a quick google search shows some pretty nice ruins, so i'd be surprised if it doesn't have its fair share of visitors.

Here's a nice site regarding ancient capua, if you're interested. http://www.ancientcapua.com/

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Dalael posted:

Did he winter there before or after Cannae? I can't imagine a city being in any position to say no after Cannae.

If it was before tho, Capua derserved what it got... :colbert:

It was after. According to Livy, after Cannae, the Capuans sent an embassy to Rome, who courted their support, but then, on the way back, one of the Capuan ambassadors, a senator named Vibius Virrius, convinced the rest of them that Carthage was going to win, and, once they did, if Capua backed them, it could become the dominant city of Italy, so they negotiated a treaty with Hannibal that said that, first, no Capuan would ever be put under Carthaginian command, second, no Campanian would be drafted into the Carthaginian military, third, Capua would stay independent, and fourth, Carthage would give them 300 Roman prisoners of war so they could exchange them for the 300 Capuans who were currently fighting with the Roman army in Sicily.

Livy also says that the Capuan demand to stay a Roman ally was that one of the two Consuls of Rome always be a Capuan, but that he doesn't believe the story.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Doctor Malaver posted:

Capua has some excellent ruins. It has one of the best preserved amphitheaters, which is a more or less exact copy of the Colosseum. Outside you can see some of the marks from the building, there are carved patterns in the ground where they cut arch blocks to size. It's also the only arena where we are 100% certain naumachia were held, as there's a system to flood and drain the arena that's reasonably well preserved. It's not crowded and you can go anywhere you want inside, so it's cooler than the Colosseum.

And the region is full of stuff. I imagine most people who go to Campania interested in ruins just go to Pompeii, maybe also Herculaneum. Capua and Cumae are both neat and mostly devoid of visitors.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

On the subject
Of the Spanish campaign what can be said of the government/society in Iberia? Everything I read tends to gloss over Spain as if it's just a land grab between Carthage and Rome. I know a lot of Spanish mercenaries joined hannibal and a lot of them resisted. Same is true of Rome. Was it just a matter of Spaniards seeing both as two sides of a conquering coin

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Alan Smithee posted:

On the subject
Of the Spanish campaign what can be said of the government/society in Iberia? Everything I read tends to gloss over Spain as if it's just a land grab between Carthage and Rome. I know a lot of Spanish mercenaries joined hannibal and a lot of them resisted. Same is true of Rome. Was it just a matter of Spaniards seeing both as two sides of a conquering coin

Iberia was, for the time period we're talking about, made up of a bunch of Celtic and pre-Celtic tribes, with a bunch of Greek, Phoenecian, and Carthaginian cities and trading colonies along the coast. There had also been, probably, a pre-Celtic city called Tartessos near the Gulf of Cadiz.

After the Carthaginians lost the First Punic War, a Carthaginian General named Hamilcar Barca swore revenge on Rome. Carthage had lost a lot of its territory to Rome, and Hamilcar decided he was going to create a new empire for Carthage by taking over Iberia. He invaded it, and took over most of southern and southeastern Iberia (including the silver mines there), conquering the various tribes and basically setting up his own personal empire, until he died in battle. Hannibal was one of Hamilcar's sons.

The Second Punic War actually started in Iberia. Rome and Carthage had made a treaty that fixed the Carthaginian border in Iberia at the river Ebro. As part of the treaty, Carthage agreed not to expand north of the river. Carthage assumed the Romans would stay north of the river themselves.

South of the Ebro, there was an independent city named Saguntum (it's original name, no lie, was Arse), which Rome entered into a friendship treaty with. At the same time, Rome also took sides in a civil war in the city between a pro-Roman and a pro-Carthaginian faction. Hannibal got concerned with the idea of a pro-Roman city south of the Ebro, and started making threatening moves to it. So, Saguntum sent people to Rome asking for their help. Rome ignored them for a while, and finally sent a message to Hannibal saying, "Hey, leave Saguntum alone, or else." Hannibal then attacked the city, and the Romans shrugged their shoulders and said, "Hey, we tried", and went on to invade Illyria.

Hannibal took over the city, and the Romans, who had pretty much ignored Saguntum's cries for help, were outraged! They went to the Carthaginian Senate, and said, "Hannibal broke the treaty between us by attacking Saguntum! We demand you had him over to us for punishment!" The Carthaginian Senate said, "First off, Hannibal's in Spain with a big army, and he doesn't really listen to us anyway, so we can't do anything about him. Second, the treaty says we can't expand north of the Ebro. Saguntum is south of the Ebro."

The Roman ambassador thought, and said, "Err....yes! Yes, it is! But Hannibal moved his troops NORTH of the Ebro to attack Saguntum. He crossed the Ebro and then turned around and attacked the city! We demand justice!"

The Carthaginian senate said, "Hold on a second. You're claiming that Hannibal moved his troops out of the city of New Carthage, which is south of Saguntum, and then instead of marching his troops there, he marched past Saguntum, marched 100 miles north of Saguntum, to the Ebro River, crossed it, then crossed it again, marched 100 miles back south, and attacked Saguntum?"

"Errr....yes? Justice!", the Roman ambassador declared as he was shown out of the Carthaginian Senate. And then the Romans declared war, for justice!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Watch Publius Cornelius start a loving war :jerkbag:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

*Hoists 'Mission Accomplished' banner onto trireme*

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That was a pretty good deal the Capuans had with Hannibal, I never knew it was so favorable to them.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Strategic Tea posted:

*Hoists 'Mission Accomplished' banner onto trireme*

quinquereme :hist101:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

If digital records for the whole of SA do survive centuries into the future, I wonder how future scholars will deal with the absurd amount of words to parse through, what individual threads will be chosen out of the pile to actually read in earnest rather than just running algorithmic analysis with computers.

And furthermore, what about that one important thing that defines our entire society that we have a severe taboo about writing about or taking pictures of any kind, do you think future scholars are going to know about it? Or how about that other thing that had all physical and digital records purged? Get to work historians.

In the year 2200, the "Something Awful Archive" at the Library of Congress will receive approximately 2 visitors a year, one of whom will be writing a History of Goatse. I don't think anyone will seriously be caring about our posts.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

they were not originally possessed of a monotheistic religion.

I think that's an unfair criticism of the Bible, given that the latter half of the Old Testament is the prophets, clearly in the minority, raving that the Israelites aren't monotheists like they damned well should be and disaster will befall them unless they get on board with the program. I highly doubt the author of Isaiah or Jeremiah was intending for an instant for you to think that the Israelites were monotheists at the time, merely that they should be monotheists and if they don't get on board with monotheism horrible, horrible poo poo will happen to them (followed by Jeremiah, especially, doing a smug "I told you so" after said terrible stuff does happen).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Patter Song posted:

I think that's an unfair criticism of the Bible, given that the latter half of the Old Testament is the prophets, clearly in the minority, raving that the Israelites aren't monotheists like they damned well should be and disaster will befall them unless they get on board with the program. I highly doubt the author of Isaiah or Jeremiah was intending for an instant for you to think that the Israelites were monotheists at the time, merely that they should be monotheists and if they don't get on board with monotheism horrible, horrible poo poo will happen to them (followed by Jeremiah, especially, doing a smug "I told you so" after said terrible stuff does happen).

Yeah, but the problem is that the Bible explicitly frames monolatrous worship of YHVH as the true and original Hebrew religion from, the ancient covenant with the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, from which sinful contemporaries have fallen into polytheistic error. This is essentially the opposite of reality: said covenant and the long history of monolatry it supposes are as mythical as Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob themselves, and exclusive worship of YHVH was obviously not a widespread article of faith until late in the history of Israel and Judah.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Patter Song posted:

In the year 2200, the "Something Awful Archive" at the Library of Congress will receive approximately 2 visitors a year, one of whom will be writing a History of Goatse. I don't think anyone will seriously be caring about our posts.

The other one will be writing their dissertation on metaposting (posting about posting) as a form of community participation and asserting authority in internet culture.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

For what it's worth I know people who have used online forums as sources for dissertations on how public memory of conflicts is created and how the communities involved police those memories. One really good one that I"m thinking of looked at French message boards that grew up around communities of Algerians who fought for the French and moved to France after poo poo went south for them.

We can joke about SA all the time but I have zero loving doubt that mining online commentary - whether SA, Reddit, Youtube comments, Facebook, etc - will be a big thing for historians a century from now.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I want to read the serious dissertation on what early 21st century shitposts can tell 25th century historians about our civilization

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

cheetah7071 posted:

I want to read the serious dissertation on what early 21st century shitposts can tell 25th century historians about our civilization

You realize that ancient historians today consider a garbage pile to be one of the greatest treasure troves they can stumble upon, right?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cyrano4747 posted:

You realize that ancient historians today consider a garbage pile to be one of the greatest treasure troves they can stumble upon, right?

gently caress YOU FUTURE EGGHEADS !!!!!!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Just think of it as the future equivalent of when archaeologists recorded all the "Quintus has a huge dick" off the walls of Pompeii​.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I just hope open secrets like the prevalence of abuse of American Phlebjotum that invisibly pervades our society at every level isn't lost.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
To all future historians: click the link in my profile's home page section.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I just hope open secrets like the prevalence of abuse of American Phlebjotum that invisibly pervades our society at every level isn't lost.

It should be obvious enough that all this Phlebjotum is for "ritual use".

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I would have killed for a 17th-century equivalent of D&D for my dissertation. In fact, that was largely what my work was trying to reconstruct.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
My grandest lottery $$ scheme is to spend millions on fabricated sources telling the story of my ascent to world wide dominance all sealed inside an enormous pyramid full of jewels and crowns designed to last 8,000 years.

...It came to me late at night while thinking about the res gestae

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cyrano4747 posted:

I wasn't being ironic, I legitimately want to read it