Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

They already squeezed an anachronistic character (inspired by Nikola Tesla) into the TNO, so I'm hoping for an Alex Jones-type character, right down to the weird wind-up growls and sputters he makes when speaking about psychic vampires and fourth reichs.

the nazis have formed an alliance with the Goblins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

uber_stoat posted:

the nazis have formed an alliance with the Goblins.

Maybe the Nazis really are making the frogs gay.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Is getting Hendrix in TNO dependent on who you chose to die? I just realized that I never saw him in my playthrough...

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

You get him if you save Wyatt.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

VolticSurge posted:

You get him if you save Wyatt.

Looks like I made the wrong choice.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Looks like I made the wrong choice.

Yeah Tesla wasn't bad but I think Hendrix was a more interesting character, and the "bonding" cutscene with him was better than Tesla's.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But Fergus is excellent on his own. I love that one of the audio options is to only subtitle foreign languages... so they subtitle Fergus's Scottish accent as well.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
So Fergus will have a wacky robot arm, while Wyatt will be off his rocker on LSD from Jimi's remaining stash. Okay.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I need to go back sometime and do a Fergus playthrough, because I remember jimmi, so i must have picked the other guy.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I cannot wait for this game. I kinda want to play this whole thing with Mick Gordon's "BFG Division" playing the entire time. On really super loud. And it makes me want to play Quake Champions as a bewildered dual shotgun wielding Nazi-killing badass.

Also has it been mentioned that BJ is the direct ancestor to The DOOMslayer? :black101:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Jiro posted:

I cannot wait for this game. I kinda want to play this whole thing with Mick Gordon's "BFG Division" playing the entire time. On really super loud. And it makes me want to play Quake Champions as a bewildered dual shotgun wielding Nazi-killing badass.

Also has it been mentioned that BJ is the direct ancestor to The DOOMslayer? :black101:

Yeah according to The Doom Bible he's Doomguy's grandpa or something, right? Great grandfather?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

So Fergus will have a wacky robot arm, while Wyatt will be off his rocker on LSD from Jimi's remaining stash. Okay.

Who's to say Wyatt hasn't been brewing his own supply?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I'm doing a save the old guy run now because i picked Wyatt the first time. That whole plot thread is such a bummer. I haven't met future old guy yet though, so I don't know how that plays out but Wyatt's was a bummer and was probably the best "make a player feel bad about their choice" thing a game has pulled on me. Also goddamn the writing is so good in this game. It loving nails the tone it's going for and is like head and shoulders above any other shooter campaign I've played. My big issue with the story is the pacing and how the levels lead into each other feels kind of haphazard.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah the tone and writing is some of the best in the business, I remember before release people were pointing to it having a concentration camp level as evidence of it obviously going to be an awful trainwreck and that ended up being one of the most harrowing and memorable parts of the game.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah according to The Doom Bible he's Doomguy's grandpa or something, right? Great grandfather?

Like great great Grandfather. And Commander Keen is a great grandfather to Doomguy. I like to believe that after BJ and his kin throw the last Nazi in a volcano, Jewish SuperMagiScience and Nazi reversed tech enable eventual Mars colonization. All run by an evil possibly Nazi influenced corporation obsessed with Hell energy. In comes Doomguy to pick up the family business.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It still amazes me that, as far as I know, of all the WW2 and WW2-themed games out there, only this series and an anime game (Valkyria Chronicles, which is actually quite good) have ever mentioned the concentration camps.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

CommissarMega posted:

It still amazes me that, as far as I know, of all the WW2 and WW2-themed games out there, only this series and an anime game (Valkyria Chronicles, which is actually quite good) have ever mentioned the concentration camps.

Am I massively mis-remembering or didn't one of the COD games have a concentration camp pop up? I want to say it was UO or WaW, the latter of which I barely played, but then again it wouldn't have made any sense in UO so it was probably WaW.

Those two examples are the only ones that ever attempted to do the occurrence any justice though, you're right.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Considering how tone-deaf the writing for 90% of videogames is I'm glad they haven't tbh

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Sure, everyone wants to talk about Doomguy's great grandfather but consider this: Anya is their great grandmother.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

BillBear posted:

After we got Jimi Hendrix, I'm honestly hoping for more historical people being in the game.

I'll love to see people like Malcolm X, John Lennon, Nixon and others all be involved somehow in the story.

Terrorist John F Kennedy assassinates President Charles Lindbergh.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Anya has apparently murdered a fuckton of Nazis so it's no wonder it was true love.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's hilarious that, in her own words, she felt guilty for not being strong enough to fight Nazis directly - hence all the poison, "accidents" and so on.

Come TNC and she's, what, seven months pregnant and running in to stab Nazis to death during open conflict. :v:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Repeatedly tap X to delay labor.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah the tone and writing is some of the best in the business, I remember before release people were pointing to it having a concentration camp level as evidence of it obviously going to be an awful trainwreck and that ended up being one of the most harrowing and memorable parts of the game.

it isn't exactly a bad sentiment to balk at the use of concentration camps without full assurance that this isn't Homefront levels of URAH stupidity and tone-deafness for the subject matter they're playing with. I'm not saying we should doubt machinegames entirely now because what they did in New Order was sufficiently serious, but you probably should creatively roll your eyes when most people try to use the camps in almost everything.

Also look, Anya had to work herself up into being a perfect nazi killing machine.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The concentration camp level is still the weakest in the game, but that's because unlike other stealthy levels, you don't get the option to go hog wild if you gently caress up. You're still stuck with just a knife. And I still think it doesn't go far enough to fully address how horrific the camps actually were. Camp Belica is more of a work camp than a murder center, there aren't any gas chambers, just a robot janitor and a guy with a knife and incinerators.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The full-on death camps were so horrifying I'm not sure I'd want to play them in a video game unless I got to immediately murder everyone involved :(

e: the Belica level is always weirdly and quite inappropriately charming to me because it's so close to a Butcher Bay design. I expected to be told to catch some moths.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

General Battuta posted:

e: the Belica level is always weirdly and quite inappropriately charming to me because it's so close to a Butcher Bay design. I expected to be told to catch some moths.

all of TNO is very Butcher Bay-like. It gets compared to HL2 a lot but I think Riddick is a much better comparison

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Walrus posted:

all of TNO is very Butcher Bay-like. It gets compared to HL2 a lot but I think Riddick is a much better comparison

Well (most of) the same people did make Riddick.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Kibayasu posted:

How does that hold up? It always looked cool but I only had a PS2 back when it came out initially. They did a PC rerelease recently right?

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Am I massively mis-remembering or didn't one of the COD games have a concentration camp pop up? I want to say it was UO or WaW, the latter of which I barely played, but then again it wouldn't have made any sense in UO so it was probably WaW.

Those two examples are the only ones that ever attempted to do the occurrence any justice though, you're right.

Death to Spies had you breaking into one to save someone.

Also yeah I'm not sure how you could show off the death camp element, you would be treading very VERY thin ice. The plot would go so loving dark from there.

BillBear fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 21, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Stan Taylor posted:

How does that hold up? It always looked cool but I only had a PS2 back when it came out initially. They did a PC rerelease recently right?

Starbreeze made a new Riddick game, Assault on Dark Athena, in a new engine and at the same time redid Butcher Bay in the same engine and released them as a single pack. Butcher Bay still remains a good game, if a bit awkward in some of its voice acting and animations. A not insignificant portion of the game is almost an RPG where you live in a prison. Butcher Bay is a better game but I'm still fond of Dark Athena too, it's just a bit of a simpler game compared to Future Prison Simulator that is Butcher Bay. Same mechanics and everything but it's more of a straightforward FPShooter/Stealther.

Unfortunately while there was a re-release I don't think you can currently find it anywhere digitally because it's caught up in the mess that is Atari. It did come out on PS3/360 though so if you have those you could probably find a copy. I wouldn't suggest getting a boxed PC copy because it came with some DRM I don't remember the name of but it didn't have the greatest of reputations (and may not even work now).

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 21, 2017

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Stan Taylor posted:

It's pretty good, very stealth heavy and it's much harder to go guns blazing like you can in TNO. I played it on PC, the Assault on Dark Athena version, but it was recently removed from GOG, where I got it, and I can't find it on Steam so unless someone has been hoarding some keys to give away it might be easier to find a console version or something. Some people prefer the look of the original version of Butcher Bay, the remake has some visual differences, but that's up to personal preference really.

Edit: gently caress.

Kibayasu posted:

Unfortunately while there was a re-release I don't think you can currently find it anywhere digitally because it's caught up in the mess that is Atari. It did come out on PS3/360 though so if you have those you could probably find a copy. I wouldn't suggest getting a boxed PC copy because it came with some DRM I don't remember the name of but it didn't have the greatest of reputations (and may not even work now).

Tages, I believe, and yeah, I think it doesn't work on Windows 10, there's a few older DRMs that don't.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The remake/remaster of Butcher Bay is also significantly harder since enemy attacks (both melee and bullets) do a lot more damage and you can no longer stun the robot enemies for some stupid reason.

Piekuuns
May 15, 2009
Huh, It was on GOG for quite some time, seems like its gone now.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Kibayasu posted:

Seriously? I had no idea at all, I imagine that's why the second Riddick game was so bad then.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Walrus posted:

Seriously? I had no idea at all, I imagine that's why the second Riddick game was so bad then.

No, that's still most of the same people at Starbreeze. But considering they were working on an Atari budget I think Dark Athena and the Butcher Bay re-release came out pretty okay.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
This would be a good time to reinstall New Order and play it all again in preparation for the new one. I hope that the system requirements are similar enough so that my current computer can handle it nicely.

http://i.imgur.com/BJTyAFK.mp4

Getting VERY psyched, to be honest.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
That little flash of "So much for the tollerant Left" at the end :allears:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
TNO: "They put a Nazi on the moon...gently caress you, moon."

TNC: "They put a Nazi in the white house...gently caress you, America."

Crabtree posted:

I'd really like it if they went the extra mile and pulled off their own very overt southern strategy, praising the values of Andrew Jackson protecting the "right race" with the Trail of Tears and other cherry-picked historical figures to praise, a beefed up Eugenics Record Office carrying out nationwide State Sterilization Laws that were in place since 1924 and propped up by Buck v Bell to protect "the health of the state" in slightly more horrific ways than actual history to take care of the people too white to ship off to a labor camp, yet still unfit for their glorious new world; even more overt westerns extolling the virtue of "settling" and dominating the world or keeping the Japanese internment camps going and just giving them the full Gestapo treatment with a dash of privatized prison companies competing to boot-lick Nazi overlords.

We can go a lot deeper than just name dropping Jim Crow. But I doubt they will go far enough in making sure to show how similarly vile Americans can be and possibly still are in this timeline.

Yeah, America was practicing eugenics and sterilizing minorities and "undesirables" long before the Nazi party even existed, the fact that The New Colossus is not only steering away from American Exceptionalism but seems to be actively embracing the fact that we have a horrific history and a lot of lovely people and power structures that would make us especially susceptible to Nazi occupation is one of the most exciting things about the trailers.

We've come so far from Medal of Honor's "America swooped in and single-handedly won WWII because OORAH ARE FREEDOMS" in just a decade and it makes me so proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Luisfe posted:

This would be a good time to reinstall New Order and play it all again in preparation for the new one. I hope that the system requirements are similar enough so that my current computer can handle it nicely.

http://i.imgur.com/BJTyAFK.mp4

Getting VERY psyched, to be honest.

I'm having trouble with stuttering that seems to be inherent to amd cards :( hard to play but I'll crank it down to easy just to see the game