Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I'm pretty sure I shot those guys back in Rainbow Six.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
They kinda remind me of the guys from Blood 2 that sound like yoda.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

my bony fealty posted:

Getting some "early TF2 screenshot" vibes from this, I'm game.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Realms of the Haunting is £0.49 on GOG this week.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Now that's what I call a fair price.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I'm not sure if this is the thread to ask, but GOG's got a ton of games on sale and I'm looking to try the Delta Force games. Are they any good? Should I go for the early titles or are Black Hawk Down and the Xtreme ones better?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ooooooo, they've got Hostile Waters for 59 cents.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
On Steam, the Serious Sam franchise is on sale.

Although, I think I've come to the conclusion that I just don't really like Serious Sam, which is a shame since I like the character, the enemies, the weapons, but I don't like actually playing it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

catlord posted:

On Steam, the Serious Sam franchise is on sale.

Although, I think I've come to the conclusion that I just don't really like Serious Sam, which is a shame since I like the character, the enemies, the weapons, but I don't like actually playing it.

The first one was fine, especially if you had a buddy to coop with. After that though, I don't blame anyone for finding them boring.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I absolutely adore Serious Sam TFE & TSE (both regular and HD versions) and have played the poo poo out of them. I could never get into SS2, and I'll admit that there are parts of Serious Sam: BFE that I enjoy. But BFE definitely made a ton of missteps in its approach: An incredibly slow start, a weird emphasis on slower & darker areas, too many enemies that attacked via hitscan, and a bizarre stinginess with weapons (like why are the sniper rifle and laser gun secret weapons with ammo so limited, you pretty much never feel comfortable using them?) When BFE remembers its legacy by throwing large groups at you in massive, sprawling arenas, the game is great--it's just a shame that these seem to be the exception, not the rule.

It's not strictly an "Early FPS", but the Black Mesa team finally put out new information on their upcoming update (specifically the inclusion of Xen). The work they've done on Xen looks pretty awesome so far, and is massive compared to the original Half-Life version. Wonder what it'll play like...

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I figured with GDQ being about two weeks away I'd drum up some early hype for the Early FPS featured:

Sunday
Halo: Combat Evolved -- on Legendary, which means it's going to be insanely skillful, although Halo 1 is a little easier than the rest in that regard

Monday
MDK -- technically a TPS, but close enough for me, as the game embodies the spirit of early FPS in my eyes

Tuesday
Half-Life 1 and 2 -- classic speed FPS games, always awesome to watch
Doom 2016 -- not an early game, but well, it's mothafuckin' Doom

Thursday
:siren: MARATHON: INFINITY :siren:

Friday
Jedi Knight 2, another good speed game and a good game in general!!

It's a pretty good selection this year although no Doom and no Quake will always be a little sad to me.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

I figured with GDQ being about two weeks away I'd drum up some early hype for the Early FPS featured:

Sunday
Halo: Combat Evolved -- on Legendary, which means it's going to be insanely skillful, although Halo 1 is a little easier than the rest in that regard

Monday
MDK -- technically a TPS, but close enough for me, as the game embodies the spirit of early FPS in my eyes

Tuesday

Thursday

Friday

It's a pretty good selection this year although no Doom and no Quake will always be a little sad to me.

Is the Infinity speedrun gonna be TC?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I absolutely adore Serious Sam TFE & TSE (both regular and HD versions) and have played the poo poo out of them. I could never get into SS2, and I'll admit that there are parts of Serious Sam: BFE that I enjoy. But BFE definitely made a ton of missteps in its approach: An incredibly slow start, a weird emphasis on slower & darker areas, too many enemies that attacked via hitscan, and a bizarre stinginess with weapons (like why are the sniper rifle and laser gun secret weapons with ammo so limited, you pretty much never feel comfortable using them?) When BFE remembers its legacy by throwing large groups at you in massive, sprawling arenas, the game is great--it's just a shame that these seem to be the exception, not the rule.

It's not strictly an "Early FPS", but the Black Mesa team finally put out new information on their upcoming update (specifically the inclusion of Xen). The work they've done on Xen looks pretty awesome so far, and is massive compared to the original Half-Life version. Wonder what it'll play like...

I dunno, I don't think I like their arenas. I made it to Metropolis and felt like it was a complete slog, and then I lost my progress and the idea of restarting just made me exit and uninstall. It's making me a little hesitant to go back to Painkiller, I remember liking it but maybe I used to like arenas like SS and Painkiller and lost that at some point.

Black Mesa's Xen looks interesting, a lot more blue than in the original, but it's a good look I think.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I can watch HL1 speedruns all day. It's the perfect combination of skill, exploits, and speed :getin:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

skasion posted:

Is the Infinity speedrun gonna be TC?

Yeah and it's pretty quick, under half an hour.

The Marathon games on TC are pretty challenging so it's definitely a feat.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Schedule also lists Rise of the Triad for Saturday. Don't know if it's the original or 2013--it's estimated for 30 minutes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah and it's pretty quick, under half an hour.

The Marathon games on TC are pretty challenging so it's definitely a feat.

The speedrun route I know of skips most of the first half of the game with a bit of wacky grenade jumping in Electric Sheep 1, but all the same yeah, it's really impressive to watch someone blast through ball crunchingly difficult stuff like Hang Brain in a couple minutes.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RyokoTK posted:

Sunday

Monday

Tuesday

Thursday

Friday

If its not 100% the doom 2016 one will be good, last year's had a few good sequence breaks especially in the hell levels and with the railgun recoil

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The category for Doom '16 this year is All Secrets, so it's kinda-sorta 100%.

It's not No Skips though, which is good because Doom has a ton of bonkers out of bounds stuff. The WR for the category is just barely over an hour, so that's... pretty fast, since Doom isn't a short game.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RyokoTK posted:

The category for Doom '16 this year is All Secrets, so it's kinda-sorta 100%.

It's not No Skips though, which is good because Doom has a ton of bonkers out of bounds stuff. The WR for the category is just barely over an hour, so that's... pretty fast, since Doom isn't a short game.

drat that sucks, prolly still gonna check it out if it's during the hour or two I can watch tho

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Speaking of Doom 16, rot in Hell Olivia Pierce.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Arivia posted:

Speaking of Doom 16, rot in Hell Olivia Pierce.

What'd Tilda Swinton ever do to you?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Doom Legacy works pretty well other than defaulting to 1024x768 and 24-bit color which made my iMac's poor ATI Rage 128 choke. Once I lowered it to 8-bit color and turned off some of the graphical wizardry (which I don't think the old-rear end OpenGL even supports) it worked fine. :toot:

For curiosity I loaded up the original Doom II Mac release - it runs in a postage stamp and crashed my system after the first level. Great job guys.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

What'd Tilda Swinton ever do to you?

Releasing more demons is always a reason for death. Why the gently caress did Doom not get a bunch of delicious single player DLC?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

Releasing more demons is always a reason for death. Why the gently caress did Doom not get a bunch of delicious single player DLC?

It didn't seem like Bethesda had a lot of confidence in DOOM's success (prior to release), and were hedging their bets on just pushing out a serviceable multiplayer-focused FPS.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yup, we coudl've gotten an even better game but the execs were sweating profusely and asking ID to make lovely multiplayer stuff.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Yup, we coudl've gotten an even better game but the execs were sweating profusely and asking ID to make lovely multiplayer stuff.

Which is a shame I liked DOOMs multiplayer beta, and they have been pumping content for it and the level creator to their credit. But yes a sizable expansion for the single player would have been awesome.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jiro posted:

Which is a shame I liked DOOMs multiplayer beta, and they have been pumping content for it and the level creator to their credit. But yes a sizable expansion for the single player would have been awesome.

I really could've done without the multiplayer entirely if it meant even 10% more fresh single player content.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Update on the Silent Hill textures thing: Unfortunately, they don't really look good in grayscale and colored using GZDoom. They don't adopt the same kind of post-process colored look they have in the game... they just look, unsurprisingly, like they are in grayscale and recolored. Unfortunately I don't think this is gonna work. I'm not willing to give up yet though, so I'll go back to the drawing board one more time on it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

CJacobs posted:

Update on the Silent Hill textures thing: Unfortunately, they don't really look good in grayscale and colored using GZDoom. They don't adopt the same kind of post-process colored look they have in the game... they just look, unsurprisingly, like they are in grayscale and recolored. Unfortunately I don't think this is gonna work. I'm not willing to give up yet though, so I'll go back to the drawing board one more time on it.

Try doing a custom shader for it:

https://zdoom.org/wiki/GLDEFS#Hardware_shaders

edit: If you've never worked with GLSL before I might be able to offer some pointers but I haven't touched it in a few years; the gist is that the fragment shader has a function that gets called for every pixel on the screen that corresponds to the polygon with your texture on it. The function takes a bunch of data and calculates the colour that you want it to be and returns it as a 4-vector. This lets you do all kinds of fancy computed effects. Whatever Silent Hill does with the textures you should be able to recreate it with a shader.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 21, 2017

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Yeah, you'll find a few people willing to help with shaders. This is not something you can simply achieve with coloured lighting alone.

In other news, Cubeface is breaking records in Blood:

https://youtu.be/6bhBQvpq0oU

Less than 16 mins.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'd love to see another Doom race, or even co-op speedrun. Have they ever done that?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

That's really sad. Like Doom multiplayer is fine but play to your strengths guys!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Doom 2016 had a troubled development, to the point where it was completely rebooted and started afresh. A few things probably had to be taken off the docket in order to fulfil that faustian bargain with the brass...

Doom VFR is supposedly fleshing out the world they've created a bit more by casting you as an extension of a UAC AI instead of throwing you back into the Praetor Suit... but not a lot of people are gonna play that due to it being a VR game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It really seems like the publisher just had no faith in it, from its total lack of advertising to the emphasis on the MP over everything else, which is a shame and likely at least partially a result of time + Doom 3's poor reception.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

CJacobs posted:

It really seems like the publisher just had no faith in it, from its total lack of advertising to the emphasis on the MP over everything else, which is a shame and likely at least partially a result of time + Doom 3's poor reception.

To be fair I think they had adequate time to assess what happened with Doom 3 :)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
They really owe Nvidia big time. They basically did half their advertising job for them when they showed that first really awesome gameplay video to show off whatever graphics card they were pushing at the time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Word of mouth and good reviews were eventually able to turn DOOM around into a success for Bethesda, right? I feel like every Steam user owns DOOM.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

They really owe Nvidia big time. They basically did half their advertising job for them when they showed that first really awesome gameplay video to show off whatever graphics card they were pushing at the time.

Oh yeah, I remember that video was the turning point from when I and I think a whole lot of other people went from "ok this game is going to suck right?" to "oh poo poo this looks fantastic." Looking back it feels like Bethesda's marketing/advertising people were trying to do everything in their power to make sure Doom flopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

CJacobs posted:

They didn't know how to market it, even Pete Hines said so in an interview:

quote:

“If you are at Bethesda and play the single-player, you might think it’s really fun and different. But you don’t know if you’re drinking your own kool-aid… is it really fun? Or are people going to play it and dislike the fact there’s no voiced protagonist, or the fact there’s no real story, and will they say: ‘id Software hasn’t got out of the 1990s. Same old, same old. 6/10’. You never know which of those two scenarios you’ll end up getting.”

Hines went on to add how he thinks the single-player demo launched a month after its release in June helped lure gamers in.

“We did the single-player demo after launch,” Hines continued. “We had showed off the multiplayer, but we hadn’t managed to show as much of the single-player. So giving folks the chance to try it… well it turned out to be a good idea.”