Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Starman Super DX posted:

It's still hilarious to me that my 60 some year old IT teacher two or three years ago argued and insisted that "smart cars will be in every major city by 2025" or something insane like that. I'm all for it, but realistically, it will take much, much, MUCH longer for America to roll out anything even resembling that. I mean jesus around here when they start working on a bridge it has to go out of service entirely for three years minimum

In a similar vein, I remember reading an article during my senior year high school ecomonics class saying that we'd be a cashless society in fourteen years.

I don't see that happening in four more years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I don't know, you can pay for a lot of poo poo without needing cash.

I was a bad customer today. I ordered a case for my iPod, and it arrived and....doesn't fit. Motherfucker, the SECOND time this has happened! So I set up it as a return on Amazon, leave a scathing review about the thing....and then realize I ordered the wrong case. gently caress me. I couldn't change the review either, or delete it. So I contacted Amazon, and the dude kept asking if I wanted the refund, even after I told him straight out I hosed up and need the review erased because the poo poo was my fault. I ordered the right case this time, I figure the $15 for the first case is the price of being an idiot.

I still feel bad about it.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

- Kindly old British celebrity that I used to chat with a lot and always got on really well with. Is currently serving time for sexually assaulting little girls. Whoops.

Rolf Harris?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cowslips Warren posted:

I don't know, you can pay for a lot of poo poo without needing cash.

How will people buy drugs?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
with buttcoin, duh. that's literally all it's for

because when i buy my drugs, i want that transaction recorded on a distributed ledger forever

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

It could literally be any of them

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i strangled a woman in lingerie

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Orkin Mang posted:

i strangled a woman in lingerie

not clear on who the bad customer was here

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Starman Super DX posted:

not clear on who the bad customer was here

i just browsed

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Yup

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS

Starman Super DX posted:

It's still hilarious to me that my 60 some year old IT teacher two or three years ago argued and insisted that "smart cars will be in every major city by 2025" or something insane like that. I'm all for it, but realistically, it will take much, much, MUCH longer for America to roll out anything even resembling that. I mean jesus around here when they start working on a bridge it has to go out of service entirely for three years minimum

Similarly, Germany, which you'd think is a technologically savvy country, right? I went to a big, two story electronics store, selling TVs and computers and poo poo for thousands of euros, and need to buy a phone charger. They DIDN'T TAKE CREDIT CARD! only cash or this stupid loving debit card that only works on Germany, not connected to any of the other debit card systems.

Germany isn't gonna be cashless for a LONG time

Gorefluff
Aug 19, 2004
cuddly minotaur
It still blows my mind when I go to the US I'm still swiping and signing for poo poo. Canada barely uses even chip anymore, it's gone to all tap. Except for some of the big American chains that don't accept tap (Walmart you cheap shits) because it's probably all tied together and they don't want a separate, superior merchant system in Canada.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Gorefluff posted:

It still blows my mind when I go to the US I'm still swiping and signing for poo poo. Canada barely uses even chip anymore, it's gone to all tap. Except for some of the big American chains that don't accept tap (Walmart you cheap shits) because it's probably all tied together and they don't want a separate, superior merchant system in Canada.

Our cards don't even work for tap (cell phones do though) in many cases.
I had a tap card for 12 months or so because I specifically requested a chip and pin card from my bank (because i was going to Europe) before the national chip roll out got going. Then a year later, I get a new card with "enhanced security" (aka a chip and signature card, blerg -- though it will do a pin if the machine won't take it, allegedly. They gave me my pin after i demanded it.) and no tap capability.

Meanwhile, in Iceland, I could use a credit card in a waystation on a remote F road with no cell service.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
I had a customer berate me over the phone for 45 minutes over nothing. When she called me a "little fucker" I asked her to please stay civil. She then insisted that she hadn't insulted me.

When I reminded her of the "little fucker" comment, she said "I call my kids that all the time. It's not an insult"

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

mostlygray posted:

I had a customer berate me over the phone for 45 minutes over nothing. When she called me a "little fucker" I asked her to please stay civil. She then insisted that she hadn't insulted me.

When I reminded her of the "little fucker" comment, she said "I call my kids that all the time. It's not an insult"

lol

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

mostlygray posted:

And for some reason an anonymous complaint led CPS to her house right? Sigh, one can dream.

Got yelled at by a parent because I asked their little angel to stop climbing into and up the steel racks at lowes. Never mind that someone was using power equipment in the next aisle over and could have knocked something off and crush the kid, I was in the wrong for not respecting his desire to explore. :jerkbag:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Zil posted:

And for some reason an anonymous complaint led CPS to her house right? Sigh, one can dream.

Got yelled at by a parent because I asked their little angel to stop climbing into and up the steel racks at lowes. Never mind that someone was using power equipment in the next aisle over and could have knocked something off and crush the kid, I was in the wrong for not respecting his desire to explore. :jerkbag:

I saw an employee at Ikea scream at these completely inattentive parents because their kids were climbing all over the warehouse and jumping between stacks of boxes. The mom was super embarrassed and the dad didn't care at all.

It was pretty funny

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

if you've got customers who are assholes to you regularly, getting insulted by one is probably one of the best ways you can get rid of them. it's one of those things where it crosses the line where you can start saying, bullshit or otherwise, "I don't feel safe". or at least there's an act of hostility that you can point to that happened on the clock. Pretty sure the old lonely crazy guy finally got booted after he called me a "motherfucker" and "like a racist" (because I wouldn't talk to him) to my face after ringing him out. I mean I complained about lovely customers not getting thrown out, but we've gotten rid of a few nasty ones because of poo poo they did while directly interacting with an employee. One guy threw change at us when we wouldn't take his expired license

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Can anyone explain why an expired license isn't acceptable as ID?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It might be for legal reasons.

Stupid, yes, but if the law specifically states you cannot accept an expired licence, then your hands are tied.

I remember dealing with people wanting to buy smokes and having them pitch a fit because the law in Australia says you can only accept a couple forms of ID or a passport. Things like fishing licences, school ID cards, overseas driver's licences and even gun licences simply weren't allowed.

Now, I'm pretty sure you need to show a lot more ID to have a gun licence in Australia that you do to get a proof of age card, but the law said, nope, only these types are acceptable so I had to tell people no.

And given the fines are loving insane, there was never a ghost of a chance I would cut them any slack.

EDIT: Checking quickly online, I see that a penalty unit is currently $155.46.

The person selling to someone underage can be fined 4pu ($621.84) on the spot and/or taken to court and fined 120pu ($18,655.20) and get a criminal conviction recorded.

The store manager and area manager can also be fined an equal amount - even if they're not there. They could be at home asleep and wake up and find out they're going to court to get hosed up the arse for nearly 20 grand.

The company they work for can be fined up to 600pu ($92,276.00). They can also have their right to sell cigarettes taken away from them.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 21, 2017

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

I got denied at a state store because my ID was expired too

To be perfectly honest, we're not supposed to take them, but there had been some issues with IDs saying they were expired when they weren't, so for awhile now I've had a little leeway on accepting an expired license, asking them to please at least bring the camera card with the expired license the next time. Wegman's took my camera card and so will the cops, so I don't see why that's not fair at least.

If anything this guy was some kind of transient or bum and spent about 20 minutes looking through his car with two other equally seedy looking associates before eventually coming back with half a bag of peanut M&Ms which he proceeded to chew on while bitching about us not taking his expired ID, because we didn't really want to sell anything to this weirdo anyway. then he used the ID to flick the change he was going to pay us in off of the counter and at us. My manager told him to not bother coming back, but gathered up his five dollars in nickels and brought it to the front so he couldn't claim theft.

e: ^^^^^ Also this about the cigarettes. It's become super serious in some places now and they won't give you cigs without ID. A girl who worked at the desk a few years back got fired for accidentally selling to a sting. It wasn't even an actual kid, it was just a set up to make sure they weren't selling to kids. I'm not defending her but it was entirely unprecedented.

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 21, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

VideoTapir posted:

When I tended bar/worked security, if an ID was bad there was about a 50% chance it was a fake and a 50% chance that it was an expired license belonging to the underage person's older sibling. A lot of times they were dead ringers, and if it wasn't for the fact that it was expired they would have passed.

Like 90% of the time, when called out on it, the person wasn't smart enough to also borrow a debit/credit card to back it up.

Starman Super DX posted:

e: ^^^^^ Also this about the cigarettes. It's become super serious in some places now and they won't give you cigs without ID. A girl who worked at the desk a few years back got fired for accidentally selling to a sting. It wasn't even an actual kid, it was just a set up to make sure they weren't selling to kids. I'm not defending her but it was entirely unprecedented.

lol I got a failed inspection/written up at work when I was at the gas station/convenience store because I sold cigarettes to a lady without checking her ID. Turns out she was 46.

The training you get and rules that are enforced are total bullshit - it was literally "ID them if they look under 30."

Really I think this inspector was just mad because I could instantly tell she was over 40 and therefore didn't card her. It's retarded that something you can get in trouble for is presented as such a subjective call.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 21, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My state's driver's licences take fifty years to expire. And regular state IDs never expire. It's awesome. Though I hear if you go out of state, cops think our IDs are fake.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

IDs and ID swiping is a whole other can of worms of customer dumbassery. Aside from the retarded "Guess I'm not old enough!" catchphrases, it actually kind of makes sense to me that desk workers got so hesitant about asking at a certain point without a "100% Proofing Policy". People throw loving fits about it and it's not always easy to tell age. "What?? YOU'RE carding ME!??" like it's SUCH a big deal!

Plus we've got the even dumber :tinfoil: types who swear that their IDs info is being uploaded to a secret NSA server that's tracking all of the alcohol they buy.

when really the device isn't hooked up to anything more than a power supply, the license information (which is public information) disappears in 24hours, and nobody ever, ever, EVER prints out the list. PLCB doesn't care enough, and nobody in our store is paid to do that.

But try explaining this to your average Pennsylvanian Dale Gribble.

e: ^^^^^^ I noticed that about some of you crazy out-of-staters. Penndot is broke as gently caress so it doesn't really surprise me that they lock us into a new ID every four years or so

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VideoTapir posted:

people discard expired licenses meaning it's easier to get your hands on a real license and doctor it up as a fake. plus you can get an older family member's expired license and pass it off as your own

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

It might be for legal reasons.

Stupid, yes, but if the law specifically states you cannot accept an expired licence, then your hands are tied.

I remember dealing with people wanting to buy smokes and having them pitch a fit because the law in Australia says you can only accept a couple forms of ID or a passport. Things like fishing licences, school ID cards, overseas driver's licences and even gun licences simply weren't allowed.

Now, I'm pretty sure you need to show a lot more ID to have a gun licence in Australia that you do to get a proof of age card, but the law said, nope, only these types are acceptable so I had to tell people no.

And given the fines are loving insane, there was never a ghost of a chance I would cut them any slack.

The kicker about gun licences not being accepted id in australia as proof of age is that getting a full licence involves being vetted and background checked by the federal police whenever its renewed.

Having said that I dealt with constantly being ID checked in my early 20's by growing a giant fuckoff beard as soon as i was able to grow one that didnt look like poo poo.

Fuckface the Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 21, 2017

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT

stevewm posted:

I just finished replacing our last batch of non-EMV capable pin pads today. Only 2 years after the supposed industry deadline.

Our POS software provider wasnt ready until December of 2016.

I used to program EMV cards for a living. When I got into the industry in 2000 the word then was EMV was coming to the US within the next 4 years. These were industry dates, set out by Visa, Mastercard, etc. They just kept getting enough pushback from retailers that would have to replace the POSes that they kept moving the date. The current implementation of EMV in the US is the simplest, stupidest one possible that basically amounts to a magstripe on a chip with a little bit of extra crypto surrounding it to make it more secure. The contactless (tap) is more secure and faster than chip+PIN as currently done in the US. It's possible to make the chip+PIN more secure with no appreciable increase in processing time but that would require investment on the banks' and transaction processor's' side so no way is that happening until forced.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I get carded whenever I buy booze and don't know the cashier by name because I continually look like I'm 20. I'll be 70 loving years old and get carded. That's why I keep my driver's license on top of my credit card.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

I get carded whenever I buy booze and don't know the cashier by name because I continually look like I'm 20. I'll be 70 loving years old and get carded. That's why I keep my driver's license on top of my credit card.

good customer itt

seriously tho if you live in a place where you know you're gonna get carded every time regardless of age just have your goddamned ID out first, it's not hard. I had a regular in her 30s and it wasn't until the third time that I had to stare blankly at her while she handed me her payment and saying "I still need your ID" did she finally start making a habit out of it.

The real tragedy is that no matter how many signs get put up, nobody will ever read them or interpret that it applies to them.

"We card everyone? Well surely that doesn't mean me."
-anyone over the age of 30

also, what is it with these young bucks who DON'T have their ID out first? Like '96? really dude? you're practically a baby.

MonkeyBot posted:

I used to program EMV cards for a living. When I got into the industry in 2000 the word then was EMV was coming to the US within the next 4 years. These were industry dates, set out by Visa, Mastercard, etc. They just kept getting enough pushback from retailers that would have to replace the POSes that they kept moving the date. The current implementation of EMV in the US is the simplest, stupidest one possible that basically amounts to a magstripe on a chip with a little bit of extra crypto surrounding it to make it more secure. The contactless (tap) is more secure and faster than chip+PIN as currently done in the US. It's possible to make the chip+PIN more secure with no appreciable increase in processing time but that would require investment on the banks' and transaction processor's' side so no way is that happening until forced.

this was a good and informative post

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Ziv Zulander posted:

What type of gas station lets people refuel before paying?

In MN it's the standard. They can see you and they can decide if you're allowed to refuel. If the place doesn't allow fueling before pay, I don't go there. Their revenue comes from selling snacks and service. They make nothing from fuel.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Yawgmoth posted:

I just ran into this yesterday, and I guess I'm not really used to it.

Me: *brings up beer to cash register*

Cashier guy: "Are you over 21?"

Me: "Yeah, I'm 32. Want to see my ID?"

Cashier guy: "Nah, it's okay."

Me: *hands credit card to him*

Cashier guy: "You're 32?"

Me: "Yeah. You sure you don't want to see my ID?"

Cashier guy: "Nah."

I'm not someone who you would think looks youthful per se. Maybe I look more like I'm in my mid to older 20s versus 32, I dunno.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Starman Super DX posted:

good customer itt

seriously tho if you live in a place where you know you're gonna get carded every time regardless of age just have your goddamned ID out first, it's not hard. I had a regular in her 30s and it wasn't until the third time that I had to stare blankly at her while she handed me her payment and saying "I still need your ID" did she finally start making a habit out of it.

When I worked at target we could not continue with the sale until we scanned someone's ID. No way to bypass it unless you had a manager key. Was good.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
these customers sure are something awful :iamafag:

when I was a bag boy 10-11 years ago, the people who left used tampons in grocery carts were loving scum

they still are

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Toadvine posted:

working retail made me appreciate a well-fronted shelf, especially in the frozen/dairy section aka the navy SEALS of retail

working retail helped inform my opinions about class, labor, management and capitalism

it helped make me into a socialist

limpy wimpy
Jul 1, 2007

Starman Super DX posted:

The short answer is money.

Now here's the longer one; there are just so many hands tied up in the state liquor stores and beer distributors now that nobody with an interest in those things want the laws to change. The ounce limit is so you'll defer to the distributor instead, and they were recently given MORE help by being allowed to sell 12s and I think 6s too when they could not before. There was a thing in the news two or three years ago about trying to get rid of state stores entirely and it just didn't happen. I mean I get the job loss there, but they could at least incentivize other businesses to hire former state store employees idk. It's a whole big thing.

Having to explain any of this to my customers, some of whom lived in PA all of their lives and have never bought beer at a location like mine before, makes it all the more entertaining when they throw a fit over politics they don't understand.

e: vvvvvvv this too.

lol we have drive through liquor stores in Arizona.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

limpy wimpy posted:

lol we have drive through liquor stores in Arizona.

that is because we are good puritans not like you western sinners who are likely going to hell due to your liberal consumption of beelzebub's brew

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In New Orleans there are drive though Daquiri stands and the only reason its legal is because they dont put the straw into your to go cup, so if you drink and drive thats on you.

gently caress Protestants, is what Im saying.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Barudak posted:

In New Orleans there are drive though Daquiri stands and the only reason its legal is because they dont put the straw into your to go cup, so if you drink and drive thats on you.

gently caress Protestants, is what Im saying.

Man I remember going to one of these when I was in New Orleans. I also spent 4 nights out in the French quarter, didn't get carded a single time there or at the drive-thru.

I was 17 :hellyeah:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There was a time where if you were a member of certain organizations you could drink underage. The way you were a member was being on their list.

Which the dude at the front could add you to after you told him your name when you entered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Barudak posted:

There was a time where if you were a member of certain organizations you could drink underage. The way you were a member was being on their list.

Which the dude at the front could add you to after you told him your name when you entered.

This is literally how buying weed works in Barcelona

e: not getting carded at busy bars on Bourbon St. was one thing but those little Mangos and whatever other chain that sell the Slushies-with-Everclear were always almost-empty and the people working there never gave me a second glance

• Locked thread