Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Bob Chipman calls himself Moviebob, but he really should call himself Movieblob

He has type 2 diabetes apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Who knows. I can understand some of his points but everything has to teach his wordview or its problematic wrong think. I don't think any of the other critics good and bad like him.
wasn't he considered too out there for feminist frequency and asked to not contribute for them anymore?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

no poo poo

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

bob is dumb authoritarian technocratic liberal. he legit believes himself to be one of the elite and a intellectual. and he thinks FPS have created the alt right. I am perplexed by Bob's love of Atlas Shrugged where he believes that exceptional individuals (aka Coastal Elites) are being held back by others ( Conservatives and Middle America) and thinks they should take the reigns of power and seems to really love Objectivism, yet he hates the freedom and government distrust ideals of libertarians. He also seems to wholehearted believe in Moral Relativism (that there is no objective right or wrong in society, except against Conservatives) which nakedly shows with his now infamous, "No Bad Tactics, Only bad targets" quote. Bob's viewpoints of the world should contradict themselves except he seems to use moral concepts of Post-Modernism to quilt together a worldview that gives him any outlet to believe he and certain others are supreme while a large majority/minority is holding their perfect world back and something drastic must be done. Honestly, if Bob wasn't a sad, fatass, mediocre internet critic I would be genuinely afraid of him given even the slightest amount of power

The aftermath of the election was kinda telling about where a lot of these type of people had their beliefs in.

Someone said that a good portion of middle americans don't actually believe in "small government" but an "invisible" one. I tend to agree that I think that's the case. There's a bit of an indepedent streak that kinda goes through a lot of :911:'s that don't reside in the coasts. They seem to just want to be "left alone".

BUT, I would also like to add that a lot of them are not thrilled with the concept of corporate authoritarianism. It's why you'll hear anger towards banks, large corporations and such come out of the mouths of people who have NRA stickers on the backs of their pick up trucks.

What I noticed from a good portion of coastal elite /technocrats/neolibs in the aftermath was very much how you described. Shaming people for being against free trade, praising various large corporations for being socially conscience and acting indifferent/showing hatred towards those in states that voted for Trump. People like Bob and others pretend that they "care" about black people, but it rarely goes beyond that. They discuss various academic theory about race, gender and sexuality, but seem to turn a blind eye quite often to larger problems that could be fixed within various communities.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

He looks like the revolting blob from billy madison tbh.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

wasn't he considered too out there for feminist frequency and asked to not contribute for them anymore?

Probably, the doom e3 comments amongst others probably got him sacked. Femfreq got a lot better after he left.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

John mac suggests that BJ sit down with the nazis and watch steven universe

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Uncle Wemus posted:

John mac suggests that BJ sit down with the nazis and watch steven universe

pretty much. he gets mad that the violence is potrayed as tragic or that it shows the wrong moral narrative which will teach the bad think lessons and BJ is white male sterytopye and toxic masculinity.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Did a goon make these? because holy poo poo. it's loving genius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myJA9BcgB6Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdEINFmMn4M

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The thing that concerns me with the twitter wokerati is that they don't consider the consequences or validity of their actions. They actively call for political violence without the forethought to realise that if they normalise it then they will end up on the receiving end of it. They normalise online social media hatemobs then cry foul when their targets start banding together. They normalise the idea of censorship but don't think that when they aren't the people in control it will be them being censored.

Trump Derangement Syndrome is a perfect example of this lack of foresight. All of a sudden they weren't in control of their world anymore and they had the dawning terror of the knowledge it was time to reap the whirlwind.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Byolante posted:

The thing that concerns me with the twitter wokerati is that they don't consider the consequences or validity of their actions. They actively call for political violence without the forethought to realise that if they normalise it then they will end up on the receiving end of it. They normalise online social media hatemobs then cry foul when their targets start banding together. They normalise the idea of censorship but don't think that when they aren't the people in control it will be them being censored.

Trump Derangement Syndrome is a perfect example of this lack of foresight. All of a sudden they weren't in control of their world anymore and they had the dawning terror of the knowledge it was time to reap the whirlwind.

Tin pot dictators never think they'll lose control of the mob and get devoured by their own hatemachine. They think the good times will last forever or that people won't get sick of their stupid stupid poo poo.

What comes after the wokes will be so much worse but even then the wokes won't get the cause and effect.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Byolante posted:

I literally just opened up the Trump DnD thread for a lark and half the posts in there are talking about suicide attempts and mental hospitals, it's intensely uncomfortable.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Perfect Potato posted:

I literally just opened up the Trump DnD thread for a lark and half the posts in there are talking about suicide attempts and mental hospitals, it's intensely uncomfortable.

Over oosoff? I mean I kinda figured he would lose. Liberal centrist but I prefer him to some gently caress off theocrat. I might not like the liberals or wokes but they are less of a threat to me then the GOP or trump.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I like that thread. A poster who claims to have ended up in a psych ward post-election thanked another poster for writing the equivalent of a first draft of a lovely Sorkin speech about the importance of not giving up. It's a cuddly place.

Further down the page, someone apparently made this post in earnest:

quote:

as a coethnic, gently caress off and die

chinese race supremacists like you are a disgrace and do nothing but alienate the rest of nonwhite america

let that post you made stand as a reminder that you and your ilk don't see non-chinese asian americans as anything other than warm bodies for you to talk and walk over

dibs on the forum name "as a coethnic,"

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
In bleak '44, Julius Streicher bends to the task of caricaturing D&D. He later reveals at the Nuremburg trials that he "could not make more grotesque that which had conceived in the shadow of God" and simply reprinted posts in Der Stürmer word-for-word.

He is sentenced to death.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I got red texted in the dnd version of this thread for arguing that if the highest court in the country gets called to ask 'did this person make a racist remark' and throws it out summarily because the plaintiff can't provide evidence the prison did then it's unreasonable for a politician to go on national tv and say they definitely did. But the person was a white man and it was wrapped up in the human rights council behaving against its own operational documentation to try and gently caress him over the only reasonable response is to accept he is racist because listen and believe unless it's a white male.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Well over here in Canada,

quote:

In this regard, it should be kept in mind that discrimination is not usually practiced
overtly or even intentionally. Consequently, direct evidence of discrimination or proof of
intent is not required to establish a discriminatory practice under the [Canadian Human Rights Code]

For you see, such a requirement is too burdensome for civil proceedings as it requires a criminal as opposed to civil standard of proof. It is simply enough to weigh the balance of probabilities and determine that the white man, by virtue of being physical instantiation of the concept of White Supremacy, was almost certainly discriminatory, whether he intended to be or not.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

lol these rule

also Fuzzy you need to check out the "lol Trump's fine" thread in GBS, just saying

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/FalafelDad/status/877266093689253890

Holy poo poo.

This thread. 'bout nails Id. Pol libs to a loving T.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/FalafelDad/status/877266093689253890

Holy poo poo.

This thread. 'bout nails Id. Pol libs to a loving T.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FalafelDad/status/877256911401488384 lol Jesus.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Byolante posted:

I got red texted in the dnd version of this thread for arguing that if the highest court in the country gets called to ask 'did this person make a racist remark' and throws it out summarily because the plaintiff can't provide evidence the prison did then it's unreasonable for a politician to go on national tv and say they definitely did. But the person was a white man and it was wrapped up in the human rights council behaving against its own operational documentation to try and gently caress him over the only reasonable response is to accept he is racist because listen and believe unless it's a white male.

who

gives

a

gently caress

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
did anyone say "this is good for bitcoin the democrats" yet

https://twitter.com/cmclymer/status/877352474813894656

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm not going to read twitter threads. if you have a lot of words to say, put it up on medium and write it as a post there, instead of spreading it across a bunch of 140 character or less spurts

changing subjects because i've now completely given up on any involvement in electoral politics for the rest of my life: reproductive rights activists have gone decades without cosplaying in Handmaiden's Tale outfits. they should consider doing that again. you don't see animal rights activists dress up in fursuits while lobbying for attention

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
But how else are they going to get like/views on Facebook and Snapchat? Go to meeting, sit through discussion, and fill out paperwork to get people registered to vote? That BORING!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
The Handmaid's Tale wasn't terribly good compared to other dystopian stories like The Giver so it confuses me why it's being trotted out now. Relying on The Handmaid's Tale to make your case about reproductive rights is like the people who keep yammering about Harry Potter and it relates to politics.

I hate this trend, fiction is not a goddamn political platform!!!!!!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

HIJK posted:

The Handmaid's Tale wasn't terribly good compared to other dystopian stories like The Giver so it confuses me why it's being trotted out now.
because they just wrapped up the first season of the Hulu show, so it's back on the cultural radar. also, tons of bandwidth has been wasted writing vapid thinkpieces saying that this is a 100% apples-to-apples comparison to the Trump era, even though it isn't at all. his is a nationalist, xenophobic government (if it stands for anything at all), while Handmaid's Tale is a theocratic one

what annoys me is that the idpol crowd seemingly has a list of approved, "cool" pop culture that you need to relate to in order to be part of the in crowd. it's seemingly not enough to say "i get that reference," you have to interpret stuff like harry potter to today's events like evangelicals do with the bible

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 22:23 on Jun 21, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

because they just wrapped up the first season of the Hulu show, so it's back on the cultural radar. also, tons of bandwidth has been wasted writing vapid thinkpieces saying that this is a 100% apples-to-apples comparison to the Trump era, even though it isn't at all. his is a nationalist, xenophobic government (if it stands for anything at all), while Handmaid's Tale is a theocratic one

someone shoot me now

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm going to repeat myself but i don't give a poo poo because it's important and needs to keep being said: reproductive rights activists have been fighting for what they've believed in for decades without turning a serious issue into political ComicCon

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

you don't see animal rights activists dress up in fursuits while lobbying for attention

This has been part of australian culture forever

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Okay but it seems like what makes it so effective is that the end result is exactly the same? Like you could just replace 'god' with 'America' in basically every scene and your hellscape goes from theocratic to nationalist with barely a piece out of place

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Crane Fist posted:

Okay but it seems like what makes it so effective is that the end result is exactly the same? Like you could just replace 'god' with 'America' in basically every scene and your hellscape goes from theocratic to nationalist with barely a piece out of place

well "seems like" is a misnomer at least IMO. People know there's a difference between God and America. So if you're trying to set up a metaphor where you tell people "IF YOU DON'T PROTECT REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS YOU WILL LITERALLY BE RAPED LEGALLY BY MEN IN THE REAL WORLD TO KEEP THE BIRTH RATE UP JUST LIKE IN THE HANDMAID'S TALE" it sounds really dumb and overhypes the wrong thing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want to see a sci-fi dystopia where there's over population, so the government is trying to overturn roe v wade so they can force women to have abortions

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

I want to see a sci-fi dystopia where there's over population, so the government is trying to overturn roe v wade so they can force women to have abortions

Once technological progress has done away with the need for labor and people have no more political use or power, I'm sure the government will have more direct ways of reducing the population.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Once technological progress has done away with the need for labor and people have no more political use or power, I'm sure the government will have more direct ways of reducing the population.

You are acting like the elites aren't already discussing this sort of thing

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/7815069/Prince-of-Wales-calls-for-population-control-in-developing-world.html

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Byolante posted:

This has been part of australian culture forever
thanks for reminding me that national culture can always be worse

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

i'm going to repeat myself but i don't give a poo poo because it's important and needs to keep being said: reproductive rights activists have been fighting for what they've believed in for decades without turning a serious issue into political ComicCon

much to their detriment, says twitter

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

Might make a good plot hook for a Soylent Green remake.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

HIJK posted:

The Handmaid's Tale wasn't terribly good compared to other dystopian stories like The Giver so it confuses me why it's being trotted out now. Relying on The Handmaid's Tale to make your case about reproductive rights is like the people who keep yammering about Harry Potter and it relates to politics.

The Handmaid's Tale is literally the Turner Diaries for the left.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SickZip posted:

The Handmaid's Tale is literally the Turner Diaries for the left.

I'm not familiar with it, how so?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Taintrunner posted:

I'm not familiar with it, how so?

Well first, imagine that you're a huge retard crashing around talking absolute poo poo and desperately huffing your own farts. Then compare two things. Voila

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

HIJK posted:

Yes it is, and by this trend do you mean literally all of recorded history? Even Peter Rabbit has political ramifications man, and you don't have to dig deep for them. If your personal preference is to consume media without engaging with it that's dumb but good luck.

• Locked thread