Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smiling Jack posted:

I DMd a three and a half year twilight 2000 campaign that was some good fluff

Car Wars was cool also
The source books, much like Shadowrun, are really really well done and are just fun to read, since finding a group to play with is kind of hard. Though I guess not harder then the Red Dawn RPG The Price of Freedom. lol

I always liked how well PA turned out in Car Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I have my thoughts on why the Democratic Party blitzed the air waves. To me, the media buy makes sense. To the common American, all that money is wasted because the guy didn't win. For those who worked the campaign media strategy, it's very likely they saw the expenditure in cash as an awareness play.

These campaigns are powered by data. It was most likely known that Ossof wasn't going to win. The money is spent on building him, and by extension, the Democratic Party into a positive entity. A brand that sticks in people's minds. Sometimes the goal isn't to win but to notch a few more percentage points of market share away from the other competitor. In that case, the objective was met.

These are my thoughts, anyhow. Who knows what the actually strategy was. I'd love to know.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
He still got within five points, which is about fifteen points better than the Democrats got in November's election. If nothing else, it's a sign, along with the Montana and Kansas elections, that the Democrats can compete in even blood-red districts, and if the level of swing towards D candidates remains consistent (Which it has over the past several special elections), then it could be a potential bloodbath in 2018, especially as Trump becomes more and more unpopular.

Of course, "Democrat lost, nothing matters" is still gonna be the message of the day, so :suicide:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
To give you better figures:

Ossoff raised $24M locally for his campaign.

Handel raised $3.5M

Democratic National PACs spent $7.5M on ads for Ossoff, and GOP spent $18M

So Handel couldn't raise money locally and the GOP tapped the war chest to match Ossoffs personal campaign spending to barely beat a democrat in a +20 Red district

Outside money is entirely different from local campaign funds for those unfamiliar with the legalities of American politics, there are a lot of strings attached to money donated to a candidates campaign directly (Ossoffs $24M in this case). There are boundaries on where it can come from and what it can be spent on. Outside money can do what it wants

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

M_Gargantua posted:

Handel raised $3.5M

So Handel couldn't raise money locally and the GOP tapped the war chest to match Ossoffs personal campaign spending to barely beat a democrat in a +20 Red district

Outside money is entirely different from local campaign funds for those unfamiliar with the legalities of American politics, there are a lot of strings attached to money donated to a candidates campaign directly (Ossoffs $24M in this case). There are boundaries on where it can come from and what it can be spent on. Outside money can do what it wants

See now that's interesting! The GOP did spent a huge amount only to win by +5. That says a lot.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Acebuckeye13 posted:

He still got within five points, which is about fifteen points better than the Democrats got in November's election. If nothing else, it's a sign, along with the Montana and Kansas elections, that the Democrats can compete in even blood-red districts, and if the level of swing towards D candidates remains consistent (Which it has over the past several special elections), then it could be a potential bloodbath in 2018, especially as Trump becomes more and more unpopular.

Of course, "Democrat lost, nothing matters" is still gonna be the message of the day, so :suicide:

Yeah and your voting public is so loving stupid that they forgot 8 years of Bush because Obama black

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Two Finger posted:

Yeah and your voting public is so loving stupid that they forgot 8 years of Bush because Obama black

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZvT2r828QY

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

New Last Week Tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw6RsUhw1Q8

He is loving killing it on Trump's coal thing.

Murray Energy Company sent a C&D to John Oliver. Holy poo poo was that exactly the wrong thing to do :getin:

If you tell John Oliver not to do the thing or you will sue him and threaten to take your case as far as the SCOTUS you're going to have a bad day.

E: Mr. Nutter-butter loving killed it. I am dead and posting from beyond the grave. :ghost:

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 21, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

orange juche posted:

New Last Week Tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw6RsUhw1Q8

He is loving killing it on Trump's coal thing.

Was very good

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Georgia is a garbage state so this isn't exactly unexpected.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Handel
Rep. 132,459 52.1%
Ossoff
Dem. 121,635 47.9

132,459 + 121,635 = 254094 votes

GOP spent $162 per vote

Dems spent $258 per vote

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

Georgia is a garbage state so this isn't exactly unexpected.

Coincidentally, Ossoff made the election a referendum on Handel's wasteful spending and avoiding statements on policy instead of saying "Handel will do everything Trump and the Senate want, including destroy your employer-backed healthcare". Handel tied Ossoff to Pelosi, ISIS, and the dude who shot up the Congressional Baseball Practice.

(pro tip: Republicans don't actually give a poo poo about spending, they care about whether that spending was used on anything besides tax cuts/the military.)

Democrats will continue to lose close elections because they offer no policy difference from the Republicans (aside from stupid poo poo like gun control), nor do they have the balls to paint their opponents as terrorist lunatics. Therefore, why should a Republican electorate settle?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Here's some late news that has nothing to do with the election: some weird poo poo is going down in Saudi Arabia.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/06/saudi-arabia-appoints-king-salman-son-crown-prince-170621033707437.html

quote:

Saudi Arabia's King Salman has appointed his son, Mohammed bin Salman, as heir, in a major reshuffle announced early on Wednesday.

A royal decree removed Crown Prince Mohammed bin Nayef, a 57-year-old nephew of the king, as next-in-line to the throne and replaced him with Mohammed bin Salman, 31, who was previously the deputy crown prince.

According to the official Saudi Press Agency, the newly-announced crown prince was also named deputy prime minister and maintained his post as defence minister.

The former crown prince was also fired from his post as interior minister, the decree said.

This might be related to the Qatar poo poo, sort of like how the State Department came out and publicly yelled at Saudi to produce evidence of Qatar funding terrorism (they both do) and Saudi didn't say poo poo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So is it just business as usual at the Deid while this bullshit gets hashed out?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

M_Gargantua posted:

Handel raised $3.5M

I really dont think these Ezra Klein type motherfuckers are even smart enough to consider this

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

So is it just business as usual at the Deid while this bullshit gets hashed out?

I think everyone at the Deid who worry about such things figures that the House of Saud would have to have really lost the plot to gently caress with the people who actually keep them from being involved in a ground war in Iraq and a shooting war across the strait, and having to worry about their Ferrari garage being obliterated by a TBM.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I never drive stoned because I live in a 90% white suburb of 90% black city and our cops wear baseball caps and drop holsters. They killed a vet who was trying to kill himself.

I legit fear these cops like they were the SS.

9 one ?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress me, I don't get your post. At all.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
I wish the cops had shot me when I was being suicidal

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
That's dank brah

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Thalantos posted:

I wish the cops had shot me when I was being suicidal

Spicy

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

what are you

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Drunk at 8am

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Drunk at 8am

its 5'oclock somewhere

its 5 in Ukraine actually rn

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

voted 5

https://www.secretservice.gov/data/...ary_Members.pdf

https://twitter.com/SecretService/status/877521745955237888

ooops

edit ps gently caress you EPPD. you're not my god and you put my ID near your dick again and i personally will be back to the 915 for a visit.

keep the blade(s) and take a shower you dirty loving pig

SwampDonkey fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 21, 2017

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Is it really card cracking when you ask someone for their credit card so you can totally mail them a sword with their family crest on it?

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 21, 2017

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

eric is a rat bitch lol

sup joey

some or more person(s) mentioned her may or may not be fictional characters made up in your head as you skim the page too fast.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/06/21/pentagon-blew-28-million-uniforms-afghan-soldiers-report-says/413219001/

Legitimately torn about calling bullshit on this story. The article/IG report on the one hand is saying 'lol why did we buy woodland camo for ANA when they're a desert'. Afghanistan is not Iraq.

But then, there's this part of the story:

quote:

In February 2007, U.S. officials training the Afghan army cruised the internet for camouflage patterns. In an email, the officials “ran across” camouflage from a company called HyperStealth and showed them to Defense Minister Abdul Rahim Wardak. He “liked what he saw,” the report says.

By May, Wardak had selected the “Forest” pattern, and U.S. officials made the decision to buy 1,364,602 uniforms and 88,010 extra pairs of pants “without conducting any formal testing to determine the pattern's effectiveness for use in Afghanistan,” according to the report.

Now THAT is dumb as hell.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If you don't burn your budget you'll get less in the next FY!!!!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The citation for my Bronze Star and sweet lobbyist gig says otherwise.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

facialimpediment posted:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/06/21/pentagon-blew-28-million-uniforms-afghan-soldiers-report-says/413219001/

Legitimately torn about calling bullshit on this story. The article/IG report on the one hand is saying 'lol why did we buy woodland camo for ANA when they're a desert'. Afghanistan is not Iraq.

Still a better procurement process than ACUs

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Pesticide20 posted:

Still a better procurement process than ACUs

Better than the first generation of CADPAT too.

"These new uniforms have been sprayed with an infra-red blocking material, meaning they're like a STEALTH SUIT!"

*material reflects body heat making them hot as balls*
*degrades immediately on washing your uniforms*

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
News from throughout the world, courtesy of the New York Times:

Polio outbreak in Syria posted:

At least 17 children in eastern Syria have been paralyzed from a recently confirmed outbreak of polio, the World Health Organization said Tuesday, punctuating the health risks to a population ravaged by more than six years of war.

It is the second outbreak of the crippling disease to hit Syria since the war began, and largely reflected the inability of health workers to immunize all children caught in conflict zones where access is difficult and sanitation is poor.

[...]

Along with a recent measles outbreak near Damascus, the Syrian capital, and a cholera scourge raging in war-torn Yemen, Dr. Venters said, the new polio outbreak “is another indication that public health systems have been decimated by these conflicts.”

As of late March and April, Mr. Jasarevic said, there had been some vaccinations in parts of the Deir al-Zour area, “but security remained an issue and that’s why many children were not vaccinated.”

Islamist militants seize school in Philippines posted:

MANILA — Islamist militants seized an elementary school in the restive southern Philippines on Wednesday, according to the military, which said that the gunmen might be holding hostages.

The militants, from a splinter group called the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters, seized Malagakit Elementary School in the town of Pigcawayan as they were retreating from a nearby government outpost they had attacked, the military said.

“The initial report is that they have 12 hostages, six of them students,” said Capt. Arvin Encinas, a local spokesman for the military. The military could not definitively confirm the report or identify the hostages, if any.

[...]

On Monday, the Philippine government included the Bangsamoro group on a list of 20 armed organizations said to be allied with the Islamic State, along with Abu Sayyaf and the Maute group. The list was part of a memorandum filed to the Supreme Court in support of President Rodrigo Duterte’s recent declaration of martial law on Mindanao, in response to the Islamist takeover of Marawi. The Bangsamoro group is not known to have made any public declaration of allegiance to the Islamic State, unlike the Maute group and Abu Sayyaf.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Proof that vaccines are a scam

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
hey, vaccines got bin laden, they can't be all bad

Scalise upgraded to fair condition.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Proof that vaccines are a scam

No, the issue is that the Taliban has recently been known to pose as Aid workers and target Aid workers who are giving the vaccines, resulting in people avoiding getting them.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

No, the issue is that the Taliban has recently been known to pose as Aid workers and target Aid workers who are giving the vaccines, resulting in people avoiding getting them.

:thunk:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Also Western intelligence services posing as aid workers providing vaccines, resulting in the Taliban targeting aid workers. That plan clearly wasn't thought through by whatever jackass concocted it.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

facialimpediment posted:

1. Having lived in Wardak, green makes sense.

2. Better green than grey.

3. Letting an Afghan make a decision arbitrarily inshallah is as sound a method as anything I ever saw while deployed. Source: COIN, ROE, grey camo, the M4 rifle, $2b per year spent on air conditioning tents in afghanistan, every wedding party ever, steak & lobster night, SCIFs packed with contractors making $250k annual to annotate individual powerpoint slides for random KLs during the "surge" 2010-11, blah blah war is a meaningless game of hot potato where the potato is still believing in logic when asked to invest time, health or sanity for a greater cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Also Western intelligence services posing as aid workers providing vaccines, resulting in the Taliban targeting aid workers. That plan clearly wasn't thought through by whatever jackass concocted it.

It was a CIA plot to test needles that had been used for vaccinations for Bin Laden's DNA, hoping that his kids were just strolling around whereeverthefuck, Pakistan.

It's not like a CIA plot was really necessary to get the Taliban chasing after aid workers though. That hobby goes back to the 90s.

• Locked thread