Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

IIRC that short-range profile is part of the reason he was "not sanguine about his 'Mech" - he said his preferred playstyle was to hang back with long-ranged weapons, shooting at guys who couldn't possibly shoot him back.

Which, to me, says he's a dude who probably liked to play a Hellstar.

Nah, if that story of his custom mech and map was right, he'd probably want a voidsig 100 tonner using gauss rifles with a cowl and ferro-lamellor armor.

There's nothing wrong with liking ridiculous high-tech toys IMO but if you're going to make a monstrosity like that, at the very least use it against bots, not people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Why would he want all that defensive tech if he was just playing on a custom map where nobody could ever aim at him? That's just less room for guns.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

MJ12 posted:

Nah, if that story of his custom mech and map was right, he'd probably want a voidsig 100 tonner using gauss rifles with a cowl and ferro-lamellor armor.

There's nothing wrong with liking ridiculous high-tech toys IMO but if you're going to make a monstrosity like that, at the very least use it against bots, not people?

I'd happily let him use that against me!

(I'd just bring a C3i linked lance/star with a screamer for a spotter to a big ole pile of mechs packing at least quad lrm20s + Artemis V, or iATMs for maximum "COME AT ME BRO")

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
As mentioned previously, his opponent was restricted specifically to the lowest possible level of IS tech.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Tran posted:

As mentioned previously, his opponent was restricted specifically to the lowest possible level of IS tech.

All Mackies? :gonk:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Hm, how about AC/2 locusts?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I love me some jumpy tarcomp LPL action as much (or more) as the next guy, but I also know that it's bullshit and lots of people don't enjoy that sort of thing. Asking someone to help me test my custom black viper on a map with evenly spaced heavy woods for me to jump between is just being a dick.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Anything "Primitive" (the original Mackie counts) is actually worse than 3025 tech. It's a relatively new (last 10 years) distinction, however.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Viva Miriya posted:

I miss mekwars legends.

Fraction Jackson posted:

I miss faction hopping every cycle.

I miss banning Ragnarok every cycle for trying to rules lawyer his way into dumb poo poo.

God help me, I even miss setting continents and terrain for planets.

Preach! I had way too much fun playing the Crusaders and Blakists. Nothing quite like a good villain with cheesy tech.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I know it's fairly amusing in hindsight, but I still hope the vast majority of players had fun playing my scenarios (and any who didn't, I'd love to hear why).

Count me as a proud member of the Vast Majority. My first post in this thread was six years and four months ago, joining the mechwarrior list two months later. I stepped into the cockpit as an alternate on July 26, 2012, was rinsed out of it on August 7th, only to get a second crack at it the next scenario by popular acclaim. If that had been it for my time, it would have been enough: I had fun, it was a great scenario, and it was the opener for a magnificent campaign. I haven't piloted a 'mech here for nearly five years, others even longer, but I still keep coming back to see more.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MJ12 posted:

The premise of the game was SD arguing that L1 Inner Sphere tech couldn't beat Clan tech bv for bv. That was his set up to try and 'prove' he was right.

My favourite SD story is him joining a battletech rpg campaign as a teenage girl from a farm who had a direwolf for some reason and spent every mech combat hiding and avoiding being shot at and wanting everyone to go attack the clans so they would have replacement clan FF to max out the armour. I believe they left (or it ended) when they lost it at needing to replace their clan ff with regular ff armour.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 21, 2017

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

I know it's fairly amusing in hindsight, but I still hope the vast majority of players had fun playing my scenarios (and any who didn't, I'd love to hear why). That little saga turned the thread into an uncomfortable battleground for a few days when it happened, so I do hope it's something we'll never see happen again.

I for one had fun ramming tank armies into each other and I'm looking forward to doing so again at some point in the future.
Thanks a ton for all the effort you put into this thread PTN!

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

PoptartsNinja posted:

I know it's fairly amusing in hindsight, but I still hope the vast majority of players had fun playing my scenarios (and any who didn't, I'd love to hear why). That little saga turned the thread into an uncomfortable battleground for a few days when it happened, so I do hope it's something we'll never see happen again.

I know I had fun in both of mine, both getting to do my flanker thing and then getting to be a suicidal brick to give Mechwarrior Piet a warrior's death. I expect pretty much everyone did in every scenario.

For the other thing: I don't think something like that will happen again, no. SD was...unique. And even without the redtexts and avatar buys and sass he was still going to do like he do. Not much you could have done about that. Anyone who can't get excited about being the ilKhan in the UAC/20 Stormcrow in a city fight...I mean, that goes beyond regular red flags into a hurricane warning flag.

kingcom posted:

My favourite SD story is him joining a battletech rpg campaign as a teenage girl from a farm who had a direwolf for some reason and spent every mech combat hiding and avoiding being shot at and wanting everyone to go attack the clans so they would have replacement clan FF to max out the armour. I believe they left (or it ended) when they lost it at needing to replace their clan ff with regular ff armour.

It was a Timber Wolf, and he quit.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 21, 2017

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
PoptartsNinja is the LP Leviathan.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

SD was complicated.
He had a bunch more issues than normal, and some good sides.
He was a human being.
But SA is a place for games, not for healing.
Ultimately, I hope he's doing better now.

---

Personally I was quite sanguine with my Phoenix Hawk. Only hit a few times, but poo poo blew up miraculously, with the Electric Jumper (Thunder Cat Eta?) exploding from behind on the first hit and Noretti plinking the Naga on the head on a 1/6 with her trait. And it was fun taking down those missile boats in the middle together and watching the big tower and Dadlas lay waste. Things were good!

Would there be any way to trade off the 2 MLs and heat sinks and armor for a second good weapon and/or a jump jet on the IS Phoenix Hawk?

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 21, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I had a blast tooling around in a walking dumpster fire, talking myself out of reenacting a badass painting, and kicking off the legend of King Dadlas.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

kingcom posted:

The premise of the game was SD arguing that L1 Inner Sphere tech couldn't beat Clan tech bv for bv. That was his set up to try and 'prove' he was right.

Reminder, technically the Long Tom is L1 Inner Sphere tech, as is the Davy Crockett nuclear shell. Technically there is no BV cost to replacing your Long Tom ammo with nuclear shells.

quote:

...why did he take a Clan mech with ferro and endo instead of one which doesn't lose performance when damaged? :V

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Oh, so that's where 'farm girl in a madcat' came from!

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
On the one hand, I was in that game with FJ and SD and they were somewhat of a putz about things,
On the other hand, I would be embarrassed were someone to remember some of the things *I* did as a derpy teenager in role playing games,
On the gripping hand, I would have also deserved an alpha strike of mockery to the open torso, so...

RA Rx posted:

Oh, so that's where 'farm girl in a madcat' came from!

Yes. Working off of years old memory, there was a skirmish on the farmgirl's world, and a pristine mad cat took nothing but cockpit damage giving its pilot a crippling wound. The clan pilot, admiring this completely untrained and spoiled farm girl and her warrior spirit, trained her how to maintain and repair the mech, and when he finally died she set off to see the inner sphere and fight.

I may be wrong, but I believe in our first fight she ran from a Koshi because she was so terrified of taking irreplaceable damage to her mech.

I do not recall if it was me or someone else, but the idea was raised of dumping the farm girl on some outback world, using our Comstar connections to sell the pristine clan heavy mech for mad money (as we were mercenaries) and upgrading the rest of our mechs with high technology so we could go properly shoot the devil out of some more Jade Falcons. After all, who would believe her story? And then they quit...

The lesson: Simply because a roleplaying system allows you to make a character, that does not mean you should make that character. And if you look at your character and realize that the game must cater to them as sole protagonist due to their advantages or disadvantages, you should reconsider your character.

It was overall still quite a fun game, and I have been pining for something like it (ATOW/Megamek campaign) for years while having no group to really play with.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

She ran from a Mist Lynx?!?!? With every newbs favorite clan assault?

Marooning her with the Tetetae sounds about appropriate.
Must be some way to break it gently to the player and get them to not run away in the future.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 22, 2017

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Even though my mech exploded it's launchers before they could even fire a shot, I had a lot of fun playing. PTN puts a lot of love and effort into this LP and it shows

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

MJ12 posted:

Reminder, technically the Long Tom is L1 Inner Sphere tech, as is the Davy Crockett nuclear shell. Technically there is no BV cost to replacing your Long Tom ammo with nuclear shells.

...why did he take a Clan mech with ferro and endo instead of one which doesn't lose performance when damaged? :V

Technically numbered tech levels don't exist anymore. Instead, we have "Primitive", "Introductory" (formerly L1), "Tournament Legal" (formerly L2), "Advanced" (this is where artillery is now), and "Experimental" (formerly L3).

:spergin:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

My 'Mech was a Sentinel, that was too slow for it's armour, and too thinly armoured for it's speed, that would have functioned as a sniper if there was terrain I could have abused to not be singled out and hammered into oblivion.

Instead I ran around like a mad man, vaguely sorta helped our objective (shot a thing we could then steal, except it turned out to be a worthless trap objective :( ) got a perfect backshot on a much bigger enemy then proceeded to have 2 turns of 'did not think this through', which would have been 1 turn initially but 'errors are in the players favour'. :v:

So an average game of anything table-top for me. It's easy to criticise, which I have, but it was amusing, and I have no regrets being there. Plus an attempted and failed suplex in that op resulted in the next mission being wrastle-robots.

I have 1 regret- being in the game before wrastle-robots and thus not actually being in a wrastle-robot.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

I know it's fairly amusing in hindsight, but I still hope the vast majority of players had fun playing my scenarios (and any who didn't, I'd love to hear why).

Hey, I hosed up and got myself killed in the first three rounds of this once a year (maybe) game and I'm not complaining. This is good stuff.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
To join the bandwagon, I just played a new system, screwed up calculations of odds and LOS and got wrecked, but that was a blast, would do again 100%.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Lol my turn in a game was six years ago, holy crap.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 21, 2017

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Mukaikubo posted:

Yes. Working off of years old memory, there was a skirmish on the farmgirl's world, and a pristine mad cat took nothing but cockpit damage giving its pilot a crippling wound. The clan pilot, admiring this completely untrained and spoiled farm girl and her warrior spirit, trained her how to maintain and repair the mech, and when he finally died she set off to see the inner sphere and fight.

I may be wrong, but I believe in our first fight she ran from a Koshi because she was so terrified of taking irreplaceable damage to her mech.

I do not recall if it was me or someone else, but the idea was raised of dumping the farm girl on some outback world, using our Comstar connections to sell the pristine clan heavy mech for mad money (as we were mercenaries) and upgrading the rest of our mechs with high technology so we could go properly shoot the devil out of some more Jade Falcons. After all, who would believe her story? And then they quit...

The lesson: Simply because a roleplaying system allows you to make a character, that does not mean you should make that character. And if you look at your character and realize that the game must cater to them as sole protagonist due to their advantages or disadvantages, you should reconsider your character.

It was overall still quite a fun game, and I have been pining for something like it (ATOW/Megamek campaign) for years while having no group to really play with.

Those were good times indeed.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I took over as an alt for a mech I didn't know what to do with in a position I had trouble getting out of and objectives I didn't expect to complete. Inside of like two turns the scenario went 10/10 loving awesome and never stopped, so I'd vote it a total success. also I had the best fellow players, fight me

as a bonus, the Centurion is fantastic in the BT beta (and will still be great when they fix the movement profile) so I'll be hunting those down ASAP in the campaign and seeing how many SRM6s I can stuff in there. Overheat all day, every day.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 21, 2017

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I could see ways that that could be a fun scenario. A single ridiculously stacked mech holding an amazing defensive position against an overwhelming number of inferior attackers, maybe 3:1 or even 4:1 odd...

kingcom posted:

...oh.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I was pretty happy tanking Arrow IVs with Taj Thrower's unkillable NRWR-spec Grasshopper

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Lol my turn in a game was six years ago, holy crap.

hahah that means i'll be dead before I get another spin at this

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I got to play as one of the thread's most beloved characters, drove a mech that was pretty much the platonic ideal of :toughguy:, obliterated three souped-up Marauders controlled by a computer system that may or may not have been Skynet and came out of it all without even scratching my paintwork.

I had a pretty good time.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I was involved in the making of Hogarth's Heroes and got to ZA BEASTO a (movie mockup) Behemoth animated by the ghost of Richard Cameron. Nuff said.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
also I'm glad this ... I don't know what to say. The SD Experience? Let's call it that. I'm glad this was before my time, because god drat.

everyone please learn from my mistake and don't go reading these old posts to find out what all the fuss was about. the answer is that if you don't know, you're better off

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

I got to ride a Griffin! It was fun. I jumped up and down on someone's head and then got my arm shot off.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I got kicked in the head.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think I need to say how much fun I had with Wrestlemania.

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much
I really enjoyed jumping about like an idiot and shooting stompy robots in the back of the head until I got shot in the back, whilst my lil' buddies tore up some schmuck for ten turns as an example to others.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
I had no idea what I was doing, jumped a phoenix hawk around, shot missiles, and somehow got MVP.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Viva Miriya posted:

hahah that means i'll be dead before I get another spin at this

Pilot list is actually very spare these days! We might be up again far faster than you think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror storm
Oct 23, 2010

Your head is worth nothing,
and that's a good thing.
I got to play my first BT game in his thread. As a Commando. Got to shot some buildings, a helicopter and charge an enemy mech then blow up. It was fun.

I hope this thread continues, and I get to have ago in something a bit tougher.

• Locked thread