Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Brony Car posted:

Is a large part of what makes populism palatable for a lot of voters involves alienating minorities?

What the gently caress? Of course not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

What the gently caress? Of course not.

Protectionist trade policies made more "authentic" by railing against illegal immigrants and building walls?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Brony Car posted:

Protectionist trade policies made more "authentic" by railing against illegal immigrants and building walls?

Just because horrible right wing fringe "populism" is all you're aware of doesn't change what the word means. Bernie or Corbyn fit the definition better.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

So we've moved from "phrenology" to "did not use empirically valid measurements (20 years before they were created)". I'll concede that Hillary Clinton was not a time traveler.

Diagnosing someone without relying on empirically valid measurements is exactly as valid as phrenology (ie, not at all).

And of course you're still playing dumb and refusing to acknowledge the problem was ""emotional intelligence"" used as a justification for enslaving black people (well that and state budget deficits lol).

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

quote:

Republican Karen Handel defeated Democrat Jon Ossoff Tuesday in a special election to fill a Georgia congressional seat, dashing Democrats’ hopes of flipping a House district in order to build momentum ahead of the 2018 midterms.

CNN and NBC called the race for Handel just after 10 p.m. ET.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/handel-wins-georgia-special-election

quote:

The democrats are a waste.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Isn't Ossof just the kind of lovely dem that JC would pop a boner over?

If we get our wave election in 2018 but it's a bunch of centrist fucks, will it even be worth it?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Social Security has calculated US median wages are 65% of average wages.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/central.html

Seattle-Tacoma's average wage is $30.40, so a rough estimate of a median wage is $19.76.

So a $13 dollar minimum wage is a .66 ratio to local median wages.

In the context of the US overall ($23.86 AW), this is roughly equivalent to a $10.23 minimum (roughly).

That said, according to Berkeley we haven't reached the point where there are major employment effects.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 21, 2017

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

So this makes how many seats lost by Obama exactly? I stopped counting once it got to four digits.

WampaLord posted:

If we get our wave election in 2018 but it's a bunch of centrist fucks, will it even be worth it?

It's going to be a wave, but in the other direction. Which is probably for the best because Trump vs. a veto-proof Congress is a real interesting battle, a real Aliens vs. Predator type of deal.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

Do you think single payer healthcare is literally the only issue on which politicians might hold a strong position? Democrats like Ossoff and Quist certainly have strong beliefs about repealing the ACA and are campaigning on those beliefs. I'm happy they're not listening to the morons in this thread more worried about their purity than winning elections.

Good thing Ossoff maintained his anti-UHC purity, since he didn't win lol

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
[quote="“VitalSigns”" post="“473605862”"]
Good thing Ossoff maintained his anti-UHC purity, since he didn’t win lol
[/quote]

But you see he wouldn’t have done as good as he did in a deep red district....

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Can we try Left wing populism now?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
In total fairness, the worthlessness of the democrats in these three elections is not in running Ossoff. That district is a solid 35% luxury car dealerships and pool maintenance outlets by volume. If there is any place that brand of candidate belongs, it is there.

The worthlessness is in deciding of the three districts available to try to flip, a proper allocation of resources is 0 to the guy in Kansas, the bare minimum to the left-winger in Montana, and five loving million to the thesis "we can get suburban republicans to vote dem, you guys, honest, unlike the last ten years this time it will work" in Georgia.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The Kingfish posted:

Can we try Left wing populism now?

do not gently caress with guns, and sure

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Blue Raider posted:

do not gently caress with guns, and sure

Honestly gently caress gun grabbers

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Ze Pollack posted:

In total fairness, the worthlessness of the democrats in these three elections is not in running Ossoff. That district is a solid 35% luxury car dealerships and pool maintenance outlets by volume. If there is any place that brand of candidate belongs, it is there.

The worthlessness is in deciding of the three districts available to try to flip, a proper allocation of resources is 0 to the guy in Kansas, the bare minimum to the left-winger in Montana, and five loving million to the thesis "we can get suburban republicans to vote dem, you guys, honest, unlike the last ten years this time it will work" in Georgia.

Except this time they can't even fall back on "BUT THE POPULAR VOTE!!!!".

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
oh, give them time, they'll come up with an excuse.

the illusion that their golfing buddies have any reason to listen to them politically cannot fail, it can only be failed

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WampaLord posted:

At this point a bunch of centrist fucks won't even win

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

The claim that Ossoff could win a Republican district by running against health care for Americans was always stupid though.

Ze Pollack posted:

Exactly.

Millions of dollars on a bet that a Republican-lite could get the rich to vote against their race and class interests finally so we don't have to have poor people in the party anymore, and a pittance to areas with the people who would actually benefit from what Democrats have to offer them.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 21, 2017

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

VitalSigns posted:

The claim that Ossoff could win a Republican district by running against giving health care for Americans was always stupid though.

Exactly.

Millions of dollars on a bet that a Republican-lite could get the rich to vote against their race and class interests finally so we don't have to have poor people in the party anymore, and a pittance to areas with the people who would actually benefit from what Democrats have to offer them.

Dude didn’t even back $15 mw

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Centrists are basically Republicans that can't win elections. In that light, it's impossible to get upset over what amounted to a Republican primary.

If Hillary Clinton couldn't beat Donald loving Trump, Ossoff, a considerably less fearsome candidate, was never going to beat a conservative with bona fides.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/877362988658737153

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
A New Harvard Study Just Shattered the Biggest Myth About Bernie Supporters: In the face of endless propaganda from Democratic establishment leaders, a new poll finds that Bernie Sanders’ (I-Vermont) popularity is greater among minorities and women than among whites and men.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Just because horrible right wing fringe "populism" is all you're aware of doesn't change what the word means. Bernie or Corbyn fit the definition better.

Bernie had issues reaching out to minority voters and was counting on economic populism to win them over and it didn't work.

Populism and identity politics aren't mutually exclusive, but they aren't ready partners either.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/wideofthepost/status/877353969420353537

https://twitter.com/jeffroe/status/877285835124682752

DCCC IE's GA-06: $4,992,130

KS-04: zero

SC-05: zero

MT-AL: $340,000

Total of KS-04,MT-AL,SC-05: $340,000

KS-04: +20 pts compared to HRC

SC-05: +16 pts compared to HRC

MT-AL: +14 compared to HRC

GA-06: -3.7 pts compared to HRC

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 21, 2017

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Brony Car posted:

Bernie had issues reaching out to minority voters and was counting on economic populism to win them over and it didn't work.

Populism and identity politics aren't mutually exclusive, but they aren't ready partners either.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

And this is why the Democrats will never get my vote ever again until they do some major house cleaning. They are just Republican Lite: Same lovely taste with half the calories.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Brony Car posted:

otoh jeremy corbyn

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Lol the Panera bread strategy is in shambles. gently caress off and vote gop centrists.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

This argument doesn't really address my point. It's not really surprising that a well-known liberal politician is more popular among women and minorities than he is among white males, right?

It's an interesting poll, but did the poll compare Sanders versus Clinton in 2016? It's a measure of how people are looking under President Trump right now, no? Sanders versus 16 other currently prominent political figures including Trump, Ryan and McConnell?

I'd like to see how Sanders' message works in another political race. Maybe things will be different and he's be more responsive to minority concerns.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Brony Car posted:

Maybe things will be different and he's be more responsive to minority concerns.
the only people unresponsive to minority concerns are hillary voters

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

The Kingfish posted:

Honestly gently caress gun grabbers

This. So this.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Brony Car posted:

This argument doesn't really address my point. It's not really surprising that a well-known liberal politician is more popular among women and minorities than he is among white males, right?

It's an interesting poll, but did the poll compare Sanders versus Clinton in 2016? It's a measure of how people are looking under President Trump right now, no? Sanders versus 16 other currently prominent political figures including Trump, Ryan and McConnell?

I'd like to see how Sanders' message works in another political race. Maybe things will be different and he's be more responsive to minority concerns.

holy poo poo dude the goalposts were like three miles back that way.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/877367888037818368

Democratic campaigns make more sense when you view them as vehicles for grift and giving each other money than actual attempts to win and/or improve the country.

What's odd is why donors continue to waste money on these losers.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

The only things worse than the Democrats are the Republicans.

"Because forward is the way forward."

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Hillary's billion dollar campaign was like the scam from the producers except successful.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

tekz posted:

https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/877367888037818368

Democratic campaigns make more sense when you view them as vehicles for grift and giving each other money than actual attempts to win and/or improve the country.

What's odd is why donors continue to waste money on these losers.

Yup. When someone asks you for money to do a thing and repeatedly fails to do that thing you should stop giving them any more money because you are the victim of a scam or something indistinguishable from a scam.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
This is why I say some chairs better be thrown at conventions.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I'm glad that a left-wing politician is more popular among minorities and women than among whites and men. The opposite is what would be news.

This is a bad article except maybe the Daily Kos quote, which is not the central "we are bad at statistics or being intentionally dishonest" thesis.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

holy poo poo dude the goalposts were like three miles back that way.

I'm not moving the goalposts. I just think you're reading too much into that Resistance Report link.

Don't get me wrong. I'll support and vote for another McGovern or Mondale. I just won't be surprised when he or she loses as I don't think you're going to see a big leftward shift in a lot of this country without a massive and undeniable failure of Republican policies (which the Democrats will hopefully be able to pounce on instead of offering some halfass crotique).

NewForumSoftware posted:

the only people unresponsive to minority concerns are hillary voters

And all the minorities who voted for her? Come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

quote:

In response, Luján referenced a news article about House Democratic Leader Rep. Nancy Pelosi, declaring that Warren did not speak on behalf of the party — something the financial industry lobbyists saw as “an encouraging sign.” But the lobbyists warned that the attacks on the financial sector were creating “a larger problem when people don’t trust banks and financial institutions.”

quote:

SIFMA was not quite yet ready to give money to the DCCC “in large part due to messaging,” but offered to do “literacy events” with House Democrats.

lmao, couldn't even get the 30 pieces of silver out of it

• Locked thread