Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Also, many times at the local level you get far more progressive candidates than you would on the national level which I honestly hav never understood why it's never translated to the national stage. It's at the local level where you can actually find queer men and women in charge in certain situations not majorly but in some key positions as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Petr posted:

I'm having difficulty finding a source for presidential results by congressional district, but people in the election thread were saying Trump won it by about +1

Yes, I misremembered. My point still stands, though: this was always going to be an uphill slog. It was pretty dumb of the DCCC to favor it above the other special races.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Problem - "those people" you're referring to are generally admired by the electorate.

We're a country that worships power above all else.

I really think you're overestimating how much people admire the financial sector that recklessly destroyed people's lives and communities.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
If the democrats were going to take over the House in 2018 I'd expect to see a DNC backed grass roots effort happening by now, similar to the Tea Party in 2009. Instead we get more identity politics and "at least we're not republicans" messaging. The same hubris that cost Clinton.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

a literal homeless man texted me telling me im on the losing side because "lol democrats"

Tell him to get a job.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Majorian posted:

I really think you're overestimating how much people admire the financial sector that recklessly destroyed people's lives and communities.

We elected Donald loving Trump

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Mustached Demon posted:

Tell him to get a job.

i did and he said "at least im not on the losing side"

so yeah thats what america has these days

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dirk Pitt posted:

If the democrats were going to take over the House in 2018 I'd expect to see a DNC backed grass roots effort happening by now, similar to the Tea Party in 2009. Instead we get more identity politics and "at least we're not republicans" messaging. The same hubris that cost Clinton.

The RNC didn't create the Tea Party. The fact people are standing around and just expecting the DNC to astroturf a grassroots effort is the exact lack of outside groups I was talking about.

The Tea Party forced the RNC from the outside. We need a group to do the same to the DNC. It cannot come from within the Party apparatchik or it will fail.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Donald Trump outflanked Clinton on economic populist messaging during the campaign, and he's never been an investment banker or anything like that.
Polls show that Americans loving hate Wall Street.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Majorian posted:

Donald Trump outflanked Clinton on economic populist messaging during the campaign, and he's never been an investment banker or anything like that.
Polls show that Americans loving hate Wall Street.

Americans hate rich people who they don't know. If the person is racist and also a mediocre rock star, they've picked themselves up by the bootstraps.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah you basically need a Koch funded style Tea Party organization from outside to force its way into the party

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
The GOP is going to attack you over anything. It literally doesn't matter what they say or what you say. There are no principals involved here beyond tribalism.

And if you're still willing to vote GOP at this point, and there's enough people there to still win elections, welp

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Americans hate rich people who they don't know. If the person is racist and also a mediocre rock star, they've picked themselves up by the bootstraps.

Kind of, yeah. Or a lovely reality show host/failed businessman, for that matter. In this case, though, the rich people who Americans don't know really did gently caress stuff up for a lot of people. So the Dems have two advantages there.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Majorian posted:

Kind of, yeah. Or a lovely reality show host/failed businessman, for that matter. In this case, though, the rich people who Americans don't know really did gently caress stuff up for a lot of people. So the Dems have two advantages there.

You would think thats true, but I've been told by multiple people on disability that the dems are losers and that the republicans will save america for the common man.

In fact, all these people are on various medications paid for by the state.

EDIT: and 75% of them have set up gofundme accounts to pay for rent when they miscalculated their payday

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Buffer posted:

The GOP is going to attack you over anything. It literally doesn't matter what they say or what you say. There are no principals involved here beyond tribalism.

And if you're still willing to vote GOP at this point, and there's enough people there to still win elections, welp

Class is the biggest tribe of all.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

a literal homeless man texted me telling me im on the losing side because "lol democrats"

He's not wrong

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
There needs to be reform in the voting practices of America! Races last so long that too much time and money go into them that could be used to improve our communities; not to mention that elections being held on Tuesdays limit the amount of citizens who can express their right to vote. I say it's enough and it's time for change to come!

-GAUNAB 2018

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

You would think thats true, but I've been told by multiple people on disability that the dems are losers and that the republicans will save america for the common man.

In fact, all these people are on various medications paid for by the state.

EDIT: and 75% of them have set up gofundme accounts to pay for rent when they miscalculated their payday

Yeah, well, the Dems don't need to win all of them to win back the presidency - just some. More importantly, they need to get non-voters to vote, and the way to do that is the same way to win back Obama voters who defected to Trump: promise them Medicare for all, regulations on Wall Street, etc, and stop with this deficit hawk horseshit.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Trabisnikof posted:

The RNC didn't create the Tea Party. The fact people are standing around and just expecting the DNC to astroturf a grassroots effort is the exact lack of outside groups I was talking about.

The Tea Party forced the RNC from the outside. We need a group to do the same to the DNC. It cannot come from within the Party apparatchik or it will fail.

Ahh completely :agreed: I misspoke on DNC backed.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Majorian posted:

Yeah, well, the Dems don't need to win all of them to win back the presidency - just some. More importantly, they need to get non-voters to vote, and the way to do that is the same way to win back Obama voters who defected to Trump: promise them Medicare for all, regulations on Wall Street, etc, and stop with this deficit hawk horseshit.

maybe i should stop reporting their gofundmes or chargebacking donations to their "cause", then?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

-Sent from my Obamaphone

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Seriously, 2018 is way closer than people seem to think, and so far there is 0 Dem grassroots organizing. Indivisible? LOL

I've gone to every march on Washington since the women's march, and there are exponentially less people at every one.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

maybe i should stop reporting their gofundmes or chargebacking donations to their "cause", then?

Nah, that's just good clean fun, go nuts.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Trabisnikof posted:

Class is the biggest tribe of all.

LOL at the idea of class solidarity in the US.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Hollismason posted:

Also, many times at the local level you get far more progressive candidates than you would on the national level which I honestly hav never understood why it's never translated to the national stage. It's at the local level where you can actually find queer men and women in charge in certain situations not majorly but in some key positions as well.

It's money. Once you move past a certain point, you need real financial backing that's a lot harder to come by as a very progressive candidate. This is especially true since you're usually up against wealthier and more well connected opponents who are jumping the line rather than cutting their teeth on small fry elections. This is also why I tend to think that the people who insist that leftists need to bootstrap up from the bottom have never really spent any time with local political organizations or seen firsthand how difficult it is to push up to that next level.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i did and he said "at least im not on the losing side"

so yeah thats what america has these days

Go find a sixer of your favorite beer and drink it knowing that poo poo stain has to drink his sorrows away with old E.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Democrats will not gain majority in the House in 2018.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

...who hammered Hillary on her cozy relationship with Wall Street in the debates, while she hemmed and hawed and stammered out something about how promising Goldman-Sachs that her pro-Main Street public positions are lies and she has a secret bank-friendly private position is what Abe Lincoln would have done.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

And are progressives creating their own grassroots movements right now?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Grouchio posted:

And are progressives creating their own grassroots movements right now?

That's the problem. There are thousands of them, all clamoring to have their pet issue take center stage rather than band together and prioritize.

Conservatives need, what, *ten* pet causes at most and they've got half the country eating out of their hands?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

Go find a sixer of your favorite beer and drink it knowing that poo poo stain has to drink his sorrows away with old E.

that actually sounds like a pretty cool hobo to share a few beers with and chat to about politics if you're not really loving angry about politics to the point that hobos make fun of you

seriously, d&d is getting owned by hobos now

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

enraged_camel posted:

Democrats will not gain majority in the House in 2018.

Or ever.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

Paradoxish posted:

It's money. Once you move past a certain point, you need real financial backing that's a lot harder to come by as a very progressive candidate. This is especially true since you're usually up against wealthier and more well connected opponents who are jumping the line rather than cutting their teeth on small fry elections. This is also why I tend to think that the people who insist that leftists need to bootstrap up from the bottom have never really spent any time with local political organizations or seen firsthand how difficult it is to push up to that next level.

Seattle has a pilot program for "Democracy Vouchers" which may hold some possibilities for the future. But lol why would I think any Republican would participate in a program like this when they were cheering the Citizens United decision.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
With the reports of polls being hosed around with to disenfranchise Democrat voters, at what point does the UN step in and say, "we want to send monitors to oversee your elections?"

This is some fuckin' third world poo poo, guys.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That's the problem. There are thousands of them, all clamoring to have their pet issue take center stage rather than band together and prioritize.

Conservatives need, what, *ten* pet causes at most and they've got half the country eating out of their hands?

Conservatives have actually one message " They are taking from you and that is why you are not better off". It's a pretty simple message and it permeates all messages. Democrats have like 567.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Raylen posted:

Seattle has a pilot program for "Democracy Vouchers" which may hold some possibilities for the future. But lol why would I think any Republican would participate in a program like this when they were cheering the Citizens United decision.

This actually sounds pretty cool and I hope it ends up having a real, positive effect.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

The Democrats probably won't take control of any branch of the Federal government until the baby boomers are gone in like 15 years.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Republican Party has been "dying off" for the last 15 years. They're not going anywhere anytime soon and to think that there will be a time where their base is completely gone is kind of silly. Slate has written 2 "Republican Party is dying off" stories in like 5 years.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Hollismason posted:

The Republican Party has been "dying off" for the last 15 years. They're not going anywhere anytime soon and to think that there will be a time where their base is completely gone is kind of silly.
Inbreeding Works

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hollismason posted:

Conservatives have actually one message " They are taking from you and that is why you are not better off". It's a pretty simple message and it permeates all messages. Democrats have like 567.

Don't you mean 538?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Dirk Pitt posted:

Could be worse, like the message from 2010 of "don't give them back the keys to government." Think Jon Stewart laughed in Obamas face when he said that on the daily show.

• Locked thread