Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Rinkles posted:

WOTC dumping Duels finally got me to try Eternal.

It's comfortably familiar to MTG. They're taking advantage of the digital nature of their game in some neat ways -- things that would be a hassle to keep track of in paper, or require a bunch of tokens. I don't get avatar equipment yet.

I'm surprised at how much they're allowed to lift from Magic unchanged, but I don't know how copyright works with these things or if it's expired at this point.

I believe LSV said he is on the design team for it so it wouldn't surprise me if it shared a lot with magic. Honestly had never heard of it before he brought it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Tainen posted:

I believe LSV said he is on the design team for it so it wouldn't surprise me if it shared a lot with magic. Honestly had never heard of it before he brought it up.

I think he's a developer actually? But I think the majority of the designers and developers are current or former magic pros (unless it's a bigger company than I realize), so the similarity isn't surprising.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
MaRo was asked on his blog:

quote:

reiversmusings asked: Is giving Dominaria a "cohesive identity" code for "turning it into a one trick pony" as you've been doing for every world you've invented in the post-8th edition era? Honestly, if that's the plan I'm fairly certain most of the people who've wanted you to go back would prefer you just not. Part of Dominaria's charm is being an actual developed world with different cultures.

And part of his answer:

quote:

Imagine we just clumped two consecutive worlds together. Amonkhet and a Kaladesh are one world and Innistrad and Zendikar are one world. And Tarkir and Theros.

Have we just made better worlds?

Uhh... yeah?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Who cares about things like meaningful conflict between groups with different values? You know what's really interesting? Getting a 10/10 on our artistic cohesion metric. Everyone loved how interesting Kaladesh was with its population that all loved building things and creativity and the children's-book-level conflict between them and the villain who wanted to control all the inventions and didn't care about creativity was super great. Also Tarkir was terrible with its interesting clans, characters, and settings. Everything was so unique in different places just like a real world. How confusing!

e:

Also gently caress MaRo for the way he answers questions like this. First he paraphrases and strawmans incorrectly what the question was asking and then answers indignantly like the person asking the question is an unreasonable idiot.

"Please stop with the one-note homogenized worlds, and especially don't give Dominaria that treatment."

"What are you saying we should just mash block settings together incoherently!?!"

He did the same poo poo with that control question a while back too.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 21, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ThePeavstenator posted:

Everyone loved how interesting Kaladesh was with its population that all loved building things and creativity and the children's-book-level conflict between them and the villain who wanted to control all the inventions and didn't care about creativity was super great.

This is actually true, though? Kaladesh the setting is rad.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This is actually true, though? Kaladesh the setting is rad.

The setting was cool but the execution was not. The origins story was interesting because it made the world look like a steampunk dystopia. The actual set leaned way too hard on the whole place being a magical christmas land of invention and the whole resistance thing just kind of shows up in the second set when everyone realizes they've been duped.

IDK I'm not huge into lore but I got spoiled by starting in the Khans block and all that poo poo was pretty cool. After that each world has felt like one clan's worth of lore gets a whole plane.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Dominaria isn't going to be about a million different settings because it only has one set to tell it's story rather than 15-20 like it did previously.

Isn't it still a lovely corroded wasteland after the Time Spiral stuff, or has it gotten better?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Lone Goat posted:

Dominaria isn't going to be about a million different settings because it only has one set to tell it's story rather than 15-20 like it did previously.

Isn't it still a lovely corroded wasteland after the Time Spiral stuff, or has it gotten better?

In the announcement video they say that it's repaired itself from The Mending.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

After the last couple sets I'm not too keen to go back to Dominaria to see what they've done with the place. The longterm appeal is going back to all the different little parts and seeing how they changed. No one is like Hell yes let's go back and see what happened in exclusively Otaria.

Didn't Venser/Elspeth/Koth technically hop in and out from/to Mirrodin though? Heck, wasn't Venser from Dominaria?

Also Kaladesh apparently changed in a couple years with the discovery of Aether as a resource.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Time Spiral is one of my favorite blocks ever, so I'm happy about a return to the plane, and I think a slightly less complex and more streamlined version of that block would be just about perfect.

I mean I love confusing old timeshifted cards, future shifted cards, new mechanics, morph and echo as much as the next guy, but maybe we don't need rebels and slivers in the same draft environment on top of it. Getting to play with it again recently reminded me both how great and what a tremendous clusterfuck it was.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

ThePeavstenator posted:

Yes because it also had no evasion and made you pick up 3 lands to protect it. Flash was the only thing that made it playable despite the rest of it being bad.

Locust god is less clunky and won't set you back cards or mana while asking you to do nothing other than refill your hand.

Pearl lake ancient was amazing. In GPSA i went against it with Sidisi Whip twice in rounds 5 and 6. Both rounds i sat there casting hornet queens and sidisis into counterspells waiting until they had enough lands to cast it at end of turn and unloaded a handful of removal spells on it. One guy picked up 9 lands to save it. After he discarded all of them the next turn i jammed a whip and reanimated whatever I wanted and watched his face crumble .

I loved Sidisi Whip.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Dominaria no longer has time holes destroying the fabric of reality but is still a hellscape dominated by slivers short of a serious retcon.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Alaan posted:

Dominaria no longer has time holes destroying the fabric of reality but is still a hellscape dominated by slivers short of a serious retcon.

Turns out something Magical happened and it's fine now.

Don't worry about it.

I bet there aren't even slivers in the set.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Alaan posted:

I mean, it is whatever the Imagineers™ at WOTC want it to be, it's not like they have to follow certain rules with their made up magic story.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Entropic posted:

Turns out something Magical happened and it's fine now.

Don't worry about it.

I bet there aren't even slivers in the set.

Please no more slivers ever. They were cool once, but they pushed that poo poo to to edge.

Each sliver has "2: each sliver has '1: each sliver is a library'"

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
ReclaimIng Dominaria from slivers could actually be a cool Alienesque storyline.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Alaan posted:

or they could just say all the slivers died from plague. or magic. doesn't have to be a retcon is my main point

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I think slivers are fine and popular with magic players of all types. Anybody that doesn't want slivers is wrong.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Note: Slivers died on the way back to their home plane.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
if they bring back slivers we get the lovely human-looking ones instead of the cool ones so i'm not really so hype for them

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I've been having a blast playing BW Eldrazi in Modern. I guess it's just really good against my local meta but I've been wrecking with it. Having tons of maindeck hand disruption (Inquisition/Thoughtseize, Tidehollow Sculler, Thought-Knot Seer) is just really good against a lot of decks that are trying to do unfair things, and maindeck graveyard hate (Relic of Progenitus) randomly hoses certain decks too.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sickening posted:

I think slivers are fine and popular with magic players of all types. Anybody that doesn't want slivers is wrong.

Jacob Van Lunen spotted

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

mandatory lesbian posted:

if they bring back slivers we get the lovely human-looking ones instead of the cool ones so i'm not really so hype for them
Or "slivers you control" gain an ability instead of all of them. :(

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
http://mythicspoiler.com/hou/cards/hostiledesert.html

quote:

Hostile Desert
Land - Desert (rare)
T: Add (1) to your mana pool.
(2), exile a land card from your graveyard: ~ becomes a 3/4 elemental creature until end of turn. It's still a land.

Doesn't seem that great; being a manland that enters the battlefield untapped is great, and turning into a 3/4 for effectively 3 mana is great, but the condition needed for it to pull that effect off is too unreliable in standard and it doesn't produce colored mana.

Might be playable in modern if you use fetches, I guess.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

the Orb of Zot posted:

http://mythicspoiler.com/hou/cards/hostiledesert.html

Doesn't seem that great; being a manland that enters the battlefield untapped is great, and turning into a 3/4 for effectively 3 mana is great, but the condition needed for it to pull that effect off is too unreliable in standard and it doesn't produce colored mana.

Might be playable in modern if you use fetches, I guess.

Holy cow this seems amazing in any format with fetches.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Dodging Bolt is a big deal but so is producing only colorless mana and needing to exile lands repeatedly.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

YggdrasilTM posted:

Holy graveyard hate, batman.

Scavenger Grounds

Land - Desert
T: Add ◊ to your mana pool.

2, T, Sacrifice a desert: Exile all cards from all graveyards.

I don't know why but it frustrates me tremendously that this isn't Uncommon.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Entropic posted:

Note: Slivers died on the way back to their home plane.

Rath was overlaid on Dominaria, so Dominaria is the Slivers' home plane now.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mandatory lesbian posted:

no they realized they hosed up with that one.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

That's....that's actually a sweet art for Augur.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

clamiam45 posted:

Holy cow this seems amazing in any format with fetches.

The problem is in fetchland formats you often push your manabase to the point where you can't afford many colourless lands. Running this means you're not running, say, Gavony Township, Ghost Quarter, Vault of the Archangel, stuff like that.

I don't think it's going to see play in this Standard either, as most decks which are likely to have lands in their graveyard and might want a land-that's-also-a-threat would probably prefer Westvale Abbey. After rotation it might fit in, since there will still be cycling lands around to fuel it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

This set gives off the same vibe as the ingest/process stuff from bfz. Except deserts aren't as ubiquitous as exiling people's stuff, so a lot of the cards don't look great.

This feels like it's going to be unexpectedly good in some random deck somewhere though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mezzanon posted:

Aetherling could definitely make itself unblockable. My quote was meant to say that Pearl Lake Ancient had no evasion. That's my bad.

Aetherling didn't have flash, but had evasion, and saw play as a control finisher.

Pearl Lake Ancient Had Flash but no evasion, and saw play as a control finisher.

Agree.

Yeah but if your Aetherling dies, you lose.

I'm just saying, I think Locust God could see play as a one-of in R/U control, and may replace the one-of Kefnet.
Aetherling is completely invincible unless you have a Pithing Needle out naming Aetherling

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

odiv posted:

Or "slivers you control" gain an ability instead of all of them. :(

I don't know why people harped on that so much. It so rarely came up but the new look of slivers was the worst thing that's ever happened to magic.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Angry Grimace posted:

Aetherling is completely invincible unless you have a Pithing Needle out naming Aetherling

I Doom Bladed an AEtherling in Standard and it died.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Pontius Pilate posted:

I don't know why people harped on that so much. It so rarely came up but the new look of slivers was the worst thing that's ever happened to magic.

My nostalgia for a game I didn't start playing until a month before Shards of Alara came out was ruined, god drat it!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Angry Grimace posted:

A little hyperbolic, but not much. Aetherling is probably the best 9 mana creature every printed

Some Numbers posted:

I Doom Bladed an AEtherling in Standard and it died.

I think I successfully killed an aetherling twice while it was In standard, but I definitely successfully raced it several times by using removal spells to take it out of combat and buy a turn.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Pontius Pilate posted:

It was their whole gimmick. The thing that made Slivers Slivers!

But yeah, it's not like it made any real difference to me.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I killed an Aetherling with Dismember 2 games in a row.

In legacy. A few weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Hellsau posted:

That's....that's actually a sweet art for Augur.

isn't that Alchemist's Refuge?