Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

kiimo posted:

Lakers are definitely taking Ball.
Apparently they were trying to trade back from 2 with the Kings for 5 and 10, so I wouldn't be so sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

whoever drafts ball should have hedo announce the pick

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

straight up brolic posted:

Apparently they were trying to trade back from 2 with the Kings for 5 and 10, so I wouldn't be so sure

They may have thought that they could still get at 5.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

That was apparently trying to get all of the picks on earth to trade for PG

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Redgrendel2001 posted:

They may have thought that they could still get at 5.
The odds of Ball making it past the Suns are non-existent

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

whoever drafts ball should have hedo announce the pick

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

That was apparently trying to get all of the picks on earth to trade for PG
I love that Magic didn't have a deal actually lined up so the Pacers can just loving extort him now. For his George + 2 Maxes plan to work he needs his Bird Rights. Pacers can afford to make him sweat.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

The odds of Ball making it past the Suns are non-existent

No poo poo, but look at the decision making of Lakers management right now.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

I love that Magic didn't have a deal actually lined up so the Pacers can just loving extort him now. For his George + 2 Maxes plan to work he needs his Bird Rights. Pacers can afford to make him sweat.

I like to imagine Magic is just getting all of his updates on the landscape of the league as they're reported, and he reacts from there.

Paul George tells Indiana he wants to play for the Lakers
"Alright, just gotta ring up the Pacers and close the deal...what do you mean you want more than Jordan Clarkson"

Is LeBron James on his way to L.A. next offseason?
"Right on, King James in purple and gold. Time to clear up some cap space. See ya D'Angelo!"
(a year passes)
"What do you mean he signed with the Clippers"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ESPN has a thing that ranks the top pick at every number by win share and look who cropped up at #52
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19657372/the-best-picks-every-nba-draft-slot

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

rest in peace Detroit, drafting Luke Kennard and running out the five white guy rotation

Baynes opted out so it's only four I think.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

xbilkis posted:

I like to imagine Magic is just getting all of his updates on the landscape of the league as they're reported, and he reacts from there.

Paul George tells Indiana he wants to play for the Lakers
"Alright, just gotta ring up the Pacers and close the deal...what do you mean you want more than Jordan Clarkson"

Is LeBron James on his way to L.A. next offseason?
"Right on, King James in purple and gold. Time to clear up some cap space. See ya D'Angelo!"
(a year passes)
"What do you mean he signed with the Clippers"

What started with the Jerry West thing might have been the first sign that the Lakers are in big trouble letting someone run the place with such little experience.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

kiimo posted:

What started with the Jerry West thing might have been the first sign that the Lakers are in big trouble letting someone run the place with such little experience.

This is the problem: he doesn't have little experience. He has a lot of experience being bad at basketball at a management level.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

This is the problem: he doesn't have little experience. He has a lot of experience being bad at basketball at a management level.

I keep bringing it up, but he was been a VP for over a decade and was in almost all of the failed FA meetings. Like, he had to resign about a year ago because he kept going on twitter and tampering

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

ESPN has a thing that ranks the top pick at every number by win share and look who cropped up at #52
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19657372/the-best-picks-every-nba-draft-slot

Sheesh you could build a pretty modern super line-up with just the 5th picks.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I think the Dwight trade makes it way more likely Charlotte goes with Kennard, if anyone had their heart set on drafting/not drafting him

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Henchman of Santa posted:

Baynes opted out so it's only four I think.

Oh so Serbs aren't white anymore
You must be on the Ustasha payroll

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

Oh so Serbs aren't white anymore
You must be on the Ustasha payroll

Boban, Ellenson, Leuer, Beno (who's a free agent). I think that's everyone.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Xpost
https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/877528824543674369

Guaranteed Fox or Jackson at #5 would be a nice thing

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

WhyteRyce posted:

Xpost
https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/877528824543674369

Guaranteed Fox or Jackson at #5 would be a nice thing

I hope the Kings somehow get Jackson and Dennis Smith

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Jota posted:

I hope the Kings somehow get Jackson and Dennis Smith

Vlade: Character matters
Vlade: well we couldn't pass on this talent and we believe these issues are over blown

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I wonder who takes fox in this scenario

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

I wonder who takes fox in this scenario

Either the Suns or Kings, probably. Seems pretty likely now that it'll go Fultz, Ball, Tatum, and then Jackson and Fox in some order

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

MourningView posted:

Either the Suns or Kings, probably. Seems pretty likely now that it'll go Fultz, Ball, Tatum, and then Jackson and Fox in some order

I still think there's a chance Jackson goes #3 if Boston thinks that they can move him for Butler or Zinger, but after the last week o' crazy who the hell knows.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
What if the Lakers unloaded D'Angelo because Colangelo called Magic and lied to him saying they weren't going to take Fultz.

This caused Magic to prematurely jettison the only PG on the roster.

Magic is a moron.

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015

The Pacers don't seem to be in a position to extort anyone. Paul George made it known as forcibly as possible that any team trying to acquire him would be just renting him for a year, depressing competing trade offers. As long as that is happening, it's the Lakers extorting the Pacers. Yes, they would like to get him now, because the future is always uncertain, but at the same time, they can afford to wait a lot more than the Pacers.

Magic Johnson's Big Trade: well, he managed to rid himself of Jim and Mitch's catastrophic Mozgov contract, but at a stiff price. No matter how much of an idiot Russell made of himself at times, his physical potential was still large, and you'd like to think that Magic could have gotten something more tangible out of trading him. Yes, Lopez is an upgrade at center and has a much more team friendly contract, and yes, it makes for cap space, but the 27th pick is simply trade bait, and Magic has to turn those into something. If he can, great, he made the trade work. But it really is dependent on doing what Jim and Mitch couldn't do - making the Lakers themselves a desirable selling point again, and knowing how to land desirable free agents.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The Lakers used to be able to turn the 27th pick into decent rotation guys on cheap deals. Too bad they fired the guy that used to do that

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Well....do you?!?!
https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status/877563863851556864

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Sounds like he was on the sweat leaf at the time.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Brain Doctor isn't gonna like that

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Who's going to rehab Giles' knees and come away with the steal of the draft?

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015

humpthewind posted:

What if the Lakers unloaded D'Angelo because Colangelo called Magic and lied to him saying they weren't going to take Fultz.

This caused Magic to prematurely jettison the only PG on the roster.

Magic is a moron.

What if...and maybe this is a huge reach...Magic didn't care one way or the other because he had Ball as a second option at PG? Just sayin'.

And hey! What if the Lakers actually did have somebody else who could play point guard so...like maybe...they could have played Russell at shooting guard at the end of last season?
;-)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

EvanTH posted:

Blazers seem like a perfect fit with all their first-rounders, already-solid depth and need for a home run in the draft, but I could understand them being a little skittish about drafting a highly-touted high school prospect with knee issues

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

EvanTH posted:

His only hope is to go to the Suns.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

His only hope is to go to the Suns.

https://sportsmedicine.mayoclinic.org/about-us/collaborations/minnesota-timberwolves-lynx.php

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
nevermind he's obviously going to Brooklyn and we'll get him his own room at the HSS (formerly known as Hospital for the Ruptured and Crippled)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

EvanTH posted:

Spurs

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Haha latest mock has Frank at #15 to the Blazers.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wow Og AND Gilles to Portland. DX clearly has never taken a basketball history class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

"Is Len Bias your spirit animal?"

• Locked thread