Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

ziggurat posted:

i am the only person itt who has ever been to the thriving township of bogan gate, i have supped and slept there, and i saw a flock of wild cockatiels flying free in the desert sunset

i grew up in the desert, you merely adopted it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

open24hours posted:

It's as much a pejorative for snobby Guardian readers as it is a reference to an actual class.

Fine, it has just become so overly misused that sometimes it's hard to tell

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I honestly prefer people identifying as middle class than believing that bullshit that Australia doesn't have a class system, because it's slightly less overt than Britain's.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

starkebn posted:

Fine, it has just become so overly misused that sometimes it's hard to tell

There is a class structure: I would characterise it as the rich, the managerial class, the political class, the employed, the working poor, and everyone else in order of who looks down on who, and who gives the orders. Maybe we should classify full time and part time in that, but I tend to think part timers are working poor anyway. But upper, middle, and working divisions are just as useless today as white and blue collars.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

ewe2 posted:

There is a class structure: I would characterise it as the rich, the managerial class, the political class, the employed, the working poor, and everyone else in order of who looks down on who, and who gives the orders. Maybe we should classify full time and part time in that, but I tend to think part timers are working poor anyway. But upper, middle, and working divisions are just as useless today as white and blue collars.

I'm seeing this spectrum juxtaposed against that PETA "Where do you draw the line" billboard about food v. cuddly pets; except with regard to where we start feeding the guillotines.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I honestly prefer people identifying as middle class than believing that bullshit that Australia doesn't have a class system, because it's slightly less overt than Britain's.

I like British white collar poor people that treat blue collars like poo poo despite earning half their income and being perpetually on the brink of suicide.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

ewe2 posted:

I was thinking along the same lines while eating lunch just now. I would maybe call the rich 'Owners' but I don't know if that's too muddying of the waters

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I think the most important divisions are the owner/investor class, managerial class, employees and labour hire/casual/serf class.

Oh and if you go sideways between employee and managerial you get cashed up bogans in utes that work for themselves, but the great housing implosion will kill them down to labour hire.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Owners isn't a bad name but doesn't quite reach the parasitical nature of it. Someone argued that they're really just the new aristocracy but are too scared to admit it. I look at the political response to Grenfell as a good example of their detachment and greed.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

two classes then - Glorious Job Creators or Leaners

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

starkebn posted:

two classes then - Glorious Job Creators or Leaners

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...dfa0d7648fc6180

quote:

Pauline Hanson says autistic kids should be removed from mainstream classes

Matthew Killoran, The Courier-Mail

16 minutes ago

ONE Nation leader Senator Pauline Hanson announced this morning that her party will back the Federal Government’s $18.6 billion school funding package.

But she also said “we need to get rid of” autistic children from mainstream classrooms, arguing teachers had to spend too much time with them at the expense of other students’ education.

She said parents and teachers had raised the issue with her of children with disabilities or autism in mainstream classrooms.

“These kids have a right to an education by all means, but if there’s a number of them these children should actually go into a special classroom, looked after and given that special attention,” she said in the Senate this morning.

“Most of the time the teacher spends so much time on them they forget about the child who wants to go ahead in leaps and bounds in their education, but are held back by those.

“It’s no good saying we have to allow these kids to feel good about themselves and we don’t want to upset them and make them feel hurt.

Hanson 'internment' suggestion slapped down

“We have to be realistic at times and consider the impact that is having on other children in the classroom.

“We need to get rid of those people because you want everyone to feel good about themselves.”

She said it was difficult for One Nation to come to the position of supporting the $18.6 billion in extra funding for schools.

“I hope this will improve our educational standards if it is addressed in the classroom,” Senator Hanson said.

She criticised Labor for not supporting the bill, as the Opposition wants a further $22 billion to match the original Gonski funding proposed by the Gillard Government.

“I think it’s a good start, $18.6 billion. That’s a start, why can’t you work with the government with regards to this and then build on that,” she said.

“Stop opposing things just because you’re on the opposition. It’s about working together for the future of this nation. I just get so frustrated with the whole lot of you.”

Pauline Hanson can gently caress right off a cliff into a ravine and take Queensland with her

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
NXT and PHON pushing Gonski 2.0: gently caress the Children through.

https://twitter.com/srpeatling/status/877328861733638144

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bogan King posted:

NXT and PHON pushing Gonski 2.0: gently caress the Children through.

https://twitter.com/srpeatling/status/877328861733638144

PHON macht frei.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Never fear, catholic schools will stay rich because something something base.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

gently caress me dead. People are attacking the head of the RBA like he is the CEO of a public bank after he said workers should demand higher wages, which flies hard counter to the bullshit the government of Australia shovels down people's necks day in day out. He is literally saying "things are pretty good and getting better in my opinion as the country's head economist, so get stuck into your boss or whatever other authority is available to boost your increase each year" and people are maligning him as an out of touch fuckhead.

Meanwhile private sector unionism sits at 10%

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

tithin posted:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...dfa0d7648fc6180

Pauline Hanson can gently caress right off a cliff into a ravine and take Queensland with her

It would be so easy to make a similar argument to this but not come across as scum too

starkebn
May 18, 2004

JBP posted:

gently caress me dead. People are attacking the head of the RBA like he is the CEO of a public bank after he said workers should demand higher wages, which flies hard counter to the bullshit the government of Australia shovels down people's necks day in day out. He is literally saying "things are pretty good and getting better in my opinion as the country's head economist, so get stuck into your boss or whatever other authority is available to boost your increase each year" and people are maligning him as an out of touch fuckhead.

They've won. When the workers leaners are attacking the people advocating for them the Glorious Job Creators have won.

starkebn fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 21, 2017

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

Counterpoint: I'm on a bargaining team and our CFO just blew up 12 months worth of negotiations over a few hundred thousand dollars (out of a > half billion dollar salaries bill)

The head of the RBA needs to be telling employers to stop being shitheads TBQH.

Edit: Like seriously, if you think that unions and employee advocates have the capability to get more money out of the enterprise bargaining process in TYOOL 2017 than they already are, you're an out of touch fuckhead.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 21, 2017

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Pauline loving Hanson posted:

We need to get rid of those people

What
the
gently caress

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

Counterpoint: I'm on a bargaining team and our CFO just blew up 12 months worth of negotiations over a few hundred thousand dollars (out of a > half billion dollar salaries bill)

The head of the RBA needs to be telling employers to stop being shitheads TBQH

Your CFO is a scumbag and I'm sorry to hear that. I also assume you don't have enough people to back you up in punching his lights out industrially?

He doesn't have the power to do that and he has made repeated statements about corporate profits being out of proportion to wage increases. All he can do is comment on the economics being right for workers to get paid more and the ball is in your court as a worker to make the demand or cast the vote.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

MonoAus posted:

What
the
gently caress
Didn't you get the PHON is another nazi party memo? It got sent to everybody's house by the PHON no less.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Bill Shorten is a hero of the working class. Attacking the educated elite is the new ALP line.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

I think the time is soon that people will start gradually making higher wage claims (or unionising lol), because the economics are also saying that people are running out of savings to draw down to maintain their living conditions. When this happens it either triggers a recession consumer spending strike or it results in higher wage demands.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bogan King posted:

Bill Shorten is a hero of the working class. Attacking the educated elite is the new ALP line.

For fucks sake. So much for the old educated progressives. Full Trump now.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Which class has waifus

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Only the philosopher kings.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

JBP posted:

For fucks sake. So much for the old educated progressives. Full Trump now.

This is just a ham fisted way of saying that the White Australia policy that Dutton wants is dumb.

------------------------------------

Despite being removed from the equation completely now, Greens are still unable to commit to a position on Gonski.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Bogan King posted:

Bill Shorten (Xavier College)

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I think he's right, BTW, but an arts/law aristocrat like himself doesn't get to say it.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't even checked if that's what he studied, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

Your CFO is a scumbag and I'm sorry to hear that. I also assume you don't have enough people to back you up in punching his lights out industrially?

He doesn't have the power to do that and he has made repeated statements about corporate profits being out of proportion to wage increases. All he can do is comment on the economics being right for workers to get paid more and the ball is in your court as a worker to make the demand or cast the vote.

Again, you need to look at this in the context of the present industrial relations landscape.

We have a WA University who have a very good chance of winning a bid to have their existing EBA struck down, returning them to the award rate (our estimates put that at a 30-35% real reduction in take home pay). At least one local industrial firm have already achieved this in the commission, and employers across the state are eyeing this option off very seriously. The same university have also engaged a union-busting law firm in order to pursue litigation against the Union staff on their bargaining team. The other universities are refusing to negotiate on pay full stop, with offers below 1% P/A across the board, and are quite likely assessing their chances of getting a non-union ballot through with that figure and a vast reduction in entitlements. Industrial action has to date resulted in nothing but increased vitriol from the employers.

The commission have been steadily becoming more supportive of this type of action by employers, to the point of working to actively cut take home pay for casuals. The actions of the so-called "independent" umpire are in absolute contrast with assertions from the RBA that employers are in a good place right now.

So I would argue that the ball is so far out of our court that people are right to criticise the statement as being out of touch.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

Again, you need to look at this in the context of the present industrial relations landscape.

It is even more urgent that workers fight hard given the current landscape. I've worked for 8 years in unions and been through 80+ EBA negotiations. Everything you say is correct and I don't deny it in any way, but it doesn't change the fact that something has to give and what must give is employers.

The country desperately needs a general strike or for anyone under the age of 40 to stop paying their taxes for a year to punish hosed governance. This kind of thing is just a pipedream though because Australia has an industrially defeated population and people like you have to fight single battles at the enterprise level. It's Bob Hawke and Paul Keating's fault.

Don Dongington posted:

The commission have been steadily becoming more supportive of this type of action by employers, to the point of working to actively cut take home pay for casuals. The actions of the so-called "independent" umpire are in absolute contrast with assertions from the RBA that employers are in a good place right now.

People thinking Fair Work is a friend or service to employees is the biggest loving snake oil lie of all.

e: I'm genuinely interested in the action you've taken so far and how the union density is if you're cool with posting about it.

ee: maybe don't if they're at the stage of sending legal letters and monitoring communications poo poo, even if the chance of it being seen here is very small.

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 21, 2017

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Spotted in the wild today

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

ewe2 posted:

The managerial class might be above the political class in terms of snobbery (the only time when looking down on a class is correct and good) but I'm not sure they have the power to give them orders.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Bogan King posted:

Spotted in the wild today

barcode placement preserves modesty

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

The managerial class might be above the political class in terms of snobbery (the only time when looking down on a class is correct and good) but I'm not sure they have the power to give them orders.

Why do you think they're so against donation reform?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

e: I'm genuinely interested in the action you've taken so far and how the union density is if you're cool with posting about it.

ee: maybe don't if they're at the stage of sending legal letters and monitoring communications poo poo, even if the chance of it being seen here is very small.

Yeah I can't really do that without potentially compromising one thing or the other. It's not a simple matter of just saying "give us what we asked for or we're pulling our labour", regardless.

I genuinely believe things were better before the Libs were in a position to start stacking the commission. If Labor wanted a sure bet at the next election, it definitely wouldn't hurt them to run on a platform of well-defined IR reform (or a platform, period). Removing the loopholes that allow employers to game the FWC would be #1. Removing the financial penalties for withholding labour (but allowing you to be fired or stood down if you just go "lol I'm on strike") would still be reasonable.

I don't think it would require too much tweaking to restore balance and fix wage stagnation, casualisation and reduce the days of free labour employees are being forced to give away every year. Even Labor SHOULD be able to commit themselves to that. It's not like we're asking for them to nationalise the banks*

*But they should

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

anyone under the age of 40 to stop paying their taxes for a year

lmao PAYG says no bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!