Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

I want more good momgames, games about moms being moms (and not games for bored moms in the suburbs)

Games about moms playing games for bored moms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

oddium posted:

i did the cool thing before they patched it out because people were having fun

but what's most impressive here..... is that ireland formed naturally...

I haven't been keeping up with eu4,what did they patch out

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

People in PYF were gushing about The Saboteur and if nothing else I feel like that game's soundtrack was ahead of the curve because I swear I've heard that one Nina Simone remix they use for the credits several times in various media since that game came out.

I watched a buddy play it and the ending's hard swerve from what you expect to happen is really, really good.

also punching cows to blow them up

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Holy gently caress nex machina is the best bullethell twinstick i've ever played

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Samuringa posted:

play Grandia one day then, it has that in spades. I liked 1's tone better but it's really grindy. 2 is on Steam but I don't know if it is a good port.

Grandia is one of those games where I got to the end of it back in the day and never actually beat it.

It's actually probably a good candidate for a replay.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Grapplejack posted:

I watched a buddy play it and the ending's hard swerve from what you expect to happen is really, really good.

Yeah, so much of the game is goofy weird pulp stuff (the whole comic book visual gimmick where you losing a race and your brother makes the world turn black and white, the arc with John Noble's character having you hunt down Indiana Jones artifacts) that having the ending be you climbing through an Eiffel tower full of defeated Nazis that have either hung themselves or are sitting catatonic in shock after Paris overturns their occupation was chilling in a way that I wouldn't see until Wolfenstein: The New Order years later.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

Holy gently caress nex machina is the best bullethell twinstick i've ever played

It's so good!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Samuringa posted:

play Grandia one day then, it has that in spades. I liked 1's tone better but it's really grindy. 2 is on Steam but I don't know if it is a good port.

Everyone should play Grandia 2, it's amazing and I love the combat system.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'm playing through The Wolf Among Us and at the beginning of Episode 3 Holly is pissed that Bigby threw her sisters' corpse down the witching well despite me choosing the opposite option. Is this a thing that happens no matter what or is it the game glitching up due to Telltale's usual incompetence? If so I'm amazed since I started it as soon as I finished the second episode.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Haha yeah, that was the other big one I was trying to think of. Like, maybe it's just because as a Nintendo fanboy with no Playstation I was just enchanted by the novelty of voice clips in a console game but I always though Navi was cute and I liked her little "Hey!" and "Listen!"s.

I found Tatl in Majora's Mask way worse because she was super sarcastic and obnoxious and would usually just make fun of you instead of giving you any actual useful advice when you tried to talk to her.

gently caress that owl forever though.

Both Navi and Tatl were good, I'm taking this brave stance.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
http://i.imgur.com/mRfTRV9.gifv

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

GUI posted:

I'm playing through The Wolf Among Us and at the beginning of Episode 3 Holly is pissed that Bigby threw her sisters' corpse down the witching well despite me choosing the opposite option. Is this a thing that happens no matter what or is it the game glitching up due to Telltale's usual incompetence? If so I'm amazed since I started it as soon as I finished the second episode.

Oh, nevermind, I think the game exploded and collapsed unto itself.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

fables was a bad comic

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Everyone should play Grandia 2, it's amazing and I love the combat system.

its a big shame no one ever picked those mechanics up, its one of the best implementations of turn based combat ever done

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

corn in the bible posted:

fables was a bad comic

Fitting for a Telltale game then.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

babypolis posted:

its a big shame no one ever picked those mechanics up, its one of the best implementations of turn based combat ever done

Child of Light almost does it, but falls short.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I didn't realise call of duty ghosts had actual ghosts in it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wish there was an hd rerelease of metal arms

i remember that game being really good but you need a better pc than i have to emulate it these days, and i'd like to play it with mouse aim

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Colonel posted:

i wish there was an hd rerelease of metal arms

i remember that game being really good but you need a better pc than i have to emulate it these days, and i'd like to play it with mouse aim

I remember that game being pretty funny.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
L.A. Noire and The Saboteur are both pretty great if you've ever spent a day or three in Los Angeles or Paris respectively, although in a lapse of accuracy only one features a funicular IIRC.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

GUI posted:

You might as well cut your losses and stop playing at this point because it's all downhill from EP3 until the game jumps off a cliff and explodes.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Spoilers: Ever Oasis is gonna be really good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Only thing I didn't like about the demo was the run speed felt a bit too slow.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

babypolis posted:

Trails of Cold Steel is pretty much what a modern Grandia with actual difficulty would play like.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Raserys posted:

I haven't been keeping up with eu4,what did they patch out

they gave russia an idea called Siberian Frontiers or something that lets them set up as many maintainence free colonies for 20 dip each as they want as long as there's a land connection to the capital through non-colonies. and they also added this idea to the custom nation designer but they made it cost 0 points.

so you could take it and get First Come First Serve in ~150 years

but now the idea costs 200 points

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

they gave russia an idea called Siberian Frontiers or something that lets them set up as many maintainence free colonies for 20 dip each as they want as long as there's a land connection to the capital through non-colonies. and they also added this idea to the custom nation designer but they made it cost 0 points.

so you could take it and get First Come First Serve in ~150 years

but now the idea costs 200 points

Cool

Chargrilled Face
Nov 4, 2008
I've started playing Shadowrun Dragonfall (skipped the original reboot after hearing not-so-great things about it) and I'm loving it. Are there many other games that play similarly to this and have neat settings/stories/characters? I'm thinking of picking up Shadowrun Hong Kong after this but apart from that I have no clue where else to look for this type of game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

Only thing I didn't like about the demo was the run speed felt a bit too slow.

Painfully so. Otherwise its like ys, animal crossing, and zelda put together so i like it

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

oddium posted:

they gave russia an idea called Siberian Frontiers or something that lets them set up as many maintainence free colonies for 20 dip each as they want as long as there's a land connection to the capital through non-colonies.

:stare:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Just started playing hollow knight and it's real fun but progression seems to be a lot slower than other metroidvanias I've played. 2-3 hours in and I'm still weak as hell just with a functional map.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I feel like the superficial similarities between Souls games and metroidvanias has a lot of people attempting to merge the two poorly and Hollow Knight is a victim of that.
However that's just the impression I get as I won't be playing it until the Switch version comes out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
man, there is almost a really good game in Sword Art Online: Silly Subtitle, but the story seems ultra generic harem JRPG that even my wife thinks is a bit much

shame

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

I feel like the superficial similarities between Souls games and metroidvanias has a lot of people attempting to merge the two poorly and Hollow Knight is a victim of that.
However that's just the impression I get as I won't be playing it until the Switch version comes out.

It doesn't help that the plot and way lore is conveyed in HK is a little too close to the Dark Souls series

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Chargrilled Face posted:

I've started playing Shadowrun Dragonfall (skipped the original reboot after hearing not-so-great things about it) and I'm loving it. Are there many other games that play similarly to this and have neat settings/stories/characters? I'm thinking of picking up Shadowrun Hong Kong after this but apart from that I have no clue where else to look for this type of game.

Wasteland 2 has a similar combat system to the new Shadowrun games. I'd also recommend Divinity Original Sin since has multiplayer and a few QoL tweaks for people who aren't normally into CRPGs.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Red Bones posted:

I didn't realise call of duty ghosts had actual ghosts in it.

That's ghost recon ,friendo

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Sakurazuka posted:

I haven't played the souls games, but talking about hollow knight with my friend who has played them, it seems like backtracking is a lot easier in souls in that you often just roll and swerve past enemies, and it's something you can just sort of do on autopilot after you've run through the same area a few times. Hollow Knight has a lot more precision platforming with wall grabs and spikes and pits, and getting back to the spot you died (to retry a boss or to collect your ghost and try a platforming section again) takes a lot more conscious effort, and it makes all the backtracking in the game a lot longer and more boring than it otherwise would be. The game is big and going from one place to another or fighting a boss, everything just takes a lot of time and effort, and some people find that really rewarding and engrossing and some people find it boring and repetitive.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
my buddy has one of the original PS4's im thinking about taking off his hands for like $150. is there anything wrong or lovely or limiting about the original ps4? Is it worth it to spring for a newer model? if so...why?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Waroduce posted:

my buddy has one of the original PS4's im thinking about taking off his hands for like $150. is there anything wrong or lovely or limiting about the original ps4? Is it worth it to spring for a newer model? if so...why?

Do you have a 4K tv? If the answer is no then a pro doesn't do that much.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waroduce posted:

No way that's a really sweet deal, go for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Waroduce posted:

the PS4 PRO has better graphics and can do 4k output, but all the non-pro ps4s are the same and you won't be losing out by having an old one. there's no pro exclusive games either, unlike the new 3ds.

if you're gonna go insane cause every game isnt 1080p60fps then don't buy it but otherwise it's perfectly fine!

• Locked thread