Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This trend of gamedevdudes working through their fatherhood issues and midlife crises is getting somewhat tiring, are we going to get a bunch of oldmangames a few years down the road

ehhHH it's a phenomenon that's given us the last of us and nier gestalt, and there's a lot of good art in other media that's oldman stuff so bring it on

just ignore the bad games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if you're really dedicated to making the busted rear end magic system in morrowind work get ye to yon spellcraft shop and make yourself a "drain intelligence on self for a gajillion points for 1 second" and as long as you have the magic available to cast it successfully it'll refill your magic meter

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

actually even better enchant your left buttcheek cover with it so you can cast it even without magic

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I want more good momgames, games about moms being moms (and not games for bored moms in the suburbs)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

localize mother 3, nintendo!

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

I want more good momgames, games about moms being moms (and not games for bored moms in the suburbs)

Does Cart Life count?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

Parasite Eve

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Bayonetta is pretty good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Final Fantasy XIII

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Super Metroid

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

super mario sunshine is about adoptive families and stepmoms and the courts breaking them up

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

These are all good games that came out very recently, I guess we can stop making momgames

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I heard people who played the demo for Peach Beach Splash at E3 said the "Game-feel" felt a lot like using the F.L.U.D.D. from Sunshine.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jay Rust posted:

These are all good games that came out very recently, I guess we can stop making momgames
Ok then how about Horizon Zero Dawn.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I recently realized that over the course of my life I have owned the first and last hardware revision of every Nintendo handheld with the exception of the gba (I had an SP but not a micro).

I' m probably going to get New 2DS XL to replace my launch vanilla 3DS when it comes out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Palpek posted:

Ok then how about Horizon Zero Dawn.

In addition to being a good game about motherhood HZD is also very progressive because Aloy has two moms.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Minecraft UPDATE - Nintendo Switch players will now NEED Xbox Live login

quote:

MINECRAFT players will have to download a big new update that unifies almost all platforms - but Nintendo Switch owners will now NEED an Xbox Live login to play online.

Switch owners will soon be able to play with Minecraft fans on the Xbox One and PC, but to do so will have to log into Xbox Live to play online.

It is part of the brand new push to unify players across all consoles, but PS4 and PS4 Pro players will not be part of the cross-platform play.

The Minecraft news was revealed by Phil Spencer, the Head of Xbox, during an interview with Giant Bomb.

I can see why Sony told MS to gently caress off

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dewgy posted:

The absurdly common cliff racers will be your worst enemy and the combat sucks a big fat one. Have fun!

Cliff Racers are one of those things like the barrel in Sonic 3 or the existence of fire and ice levels in general where I somehow encountered them on my own and overcame them without ever being annoyed by them and then as an adult discovered internet gaming communities and learned that it was something that I was supposed to be infuriated about.

Then again Morrowind was my first real WRPG after Knight of the Old Republic, maybe random encounters in JRPGs had inoculated me from the annoyance of randomly having a monster swoop up out of nowhere every minute or two.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Cliff Racers are one of those things like the barrel in Sonic 3 or the existence of fire and ice levels in general where I somehow encountered them on my own and overcame them without ever being annoyed by them and then as an adult discovered internet gaming communities and learned that it was something that I was supposed to be infuriated about.

I had the same thing with Navi in Ocarina of Time

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Help Im Alive posted:

I had the same thing with Navi in Ocarina of Time

Haha yeah, that was the other big one I was trying to think of. Like, maybe it's just because as a Nintendo fanboy with no Playstation I was just enchanted by the novelty of voice clips in a console game but I always though Navi was cute and I liked her little "Hey!" and "Listen!"s.

I found Tatl in Majora's Mask way worse because she was super sarcastic and obnoxious and would usually just make fun of you instead of giving you any actual useful advice when you tried to talk to her.

gently caress that owl forever though.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

kaepora gaebora's song rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS07D8VoPIs

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

:lol:

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUEwR34O3M0

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

To be fair, it sounds like you would need the XBL login just to play with the other platforms which are wrapped with XBL logins, and saying you "need" it to play the game at all is probably hyperbole.

Have there been any other cross-platform games like this before? I remember EA used to require you make an account for their lovely servers that they would shut down and cripple the game after like a year.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

That's only if you want to play cross platform, you can still play online with other switches.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

raditts posted:

Have there been any other cross-platform games like this before? I remember EA used to require you make an account for their lovely servers that they would shut down and cripple the game after like a year.

Wasn't it Portal 2 on PS3 that you could log in through your Steam account for some bonus?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Dewgy posted:

The absurdly common cliff racers will be your worst enemy and the combat sucks a big fat one. Have fun!

Oblivion vid but still relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBbm8sV6IKk

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

why did Sony tell Psyonix to gently caress off then

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Phantasium posted:

Wasn't it Portal 2 on PS3 that you could log in through your Steam account for some bonus?

I think so, yeah. I can't think of any cases of cross-platform shenanigans that doesn't require a second login, so I don't see why it would be considered so crazy that MS isn't going to set up special servers for this one game that they already have running under their own architecture.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Quest For Glory II posted:

why did Sony tell Psyonix to gently caress off then

Because they gave out like 20 million copies of the game on ps+ and dont give a poo poo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Beat rez infinite. The new area is drop dead awesome.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i did the cool thing before they patched it out because people were having fun

but what's most impressive here..... is that ireland formed naturally...

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
People in PYF were gushing about The Saboteur and if nothing else I feel like that game's soundtrack was ahead of the curve because I swear I've heard that one Nina Simone remix they use for the credits several times in various media since that game came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiCEnNwjEog

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

My replay of Xenogears is finished.

I think I said it before but I love finding more evidence that child-me was an idiot. I haven't touched the game since it first came out and what I remembered of the final boss of XG was that it was fairly difficult and it's silly how wrong that is and how hard I stomped him.

I do still like the notion of a final boss having a ton of "parts" that give them extra moves you can disable by beating the parts first.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Real hurthling! posted:

Beat rez infinite. The new area is drop dead awesome.

Now do it in VR :getin:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

People in PYF were gushing about The Saboteur and if nothing else I feel like that game's soundtrack was ahead of the curve because I swear I've heard that one Nina Simone remix they use for the credits several times in various media since that game came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiCEnNwjEog
i'm playing it now and the game is screaaaming for a remaster, it may be from 2009 but it feels like a PS2 game in places

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
We're getting release information and more gameplay footage of Cook Serve Delicious 2 tomorrow aaaaagh I'm so excited :woop:

Holy moly now there's a love of mine I've completely forgotten about.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i beat saboteur last summer and it was really good but there's no reason for it to be an open world game other than padding. great set pieces in the missions though.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Quest For Glory II posted:

i'm playing it now and the game is screaaaming for a remaster, it may be from 2009 but it feels like a PS2 game in places

I played it on PC so it was even worse, since the game has a lot of known issues (from the markers on the map not lining up with the actual texture of the landscape to the physics goofing out and sending tanks and destroyed towers cartwheels in the air to city block sized chunks of countryside just plain not spawing and leaving huge holes in the world) that will never be fixed since Pandemic was shuttered right after it was released.

But it still has so much stuff to love. That gimmick where when you're driving the music starts out tinny and lo-fi and then fades into a bassy high fidelity track makes me :monocle: every time.

Real hurthling! posted:

i beat saboteur last summer and it was really good but there's no reason for it to be an open world game other than padding. great set pieces in the missions though.

The Nazi-occupied France setting worked really well IMHO since it mean the map was littered with poo poo for you to blow up. And it did a good job making areas that were full of targets organically without having to resort to Far Cry's designated bases.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Phantasium posted:

I do still like the notion of a final boss having a ton of "parts" that give them extra moves you can disable by beating the parts first.

play Grandia one day then, it has that in spades. I liked 1's tone better but it's really grindy. 2 is on Steam but I don't know if it is a good port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

i agree with this too but that's only because I don't like open world games in the slightest

• Locked thread