Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

It was actually a really good movie.
I like all the parts not about the villain woman in the movie. The stuff about Edward trying to live without alchemy now, despite the hellhole Germany is about to become, are pretty good.

Also Fritz Lang is a character! Any anime that makes Fritz Lang a character is good in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Nevermind, this is my favorite OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPgRhOYRQFc

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Conspiratiorist posted:

Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis for an excellent, mature, old-style adventure tale in a high fantasy world, with character designs evocative of the 80s.
I'll strongly second this recommendation. One of the things I liked about Attack on Titan was how few anime tropes it used, and how cinematic it felt. Rage of Bahamut is straight up animated Pirates of the Caribbean with more bounty-hunting soundrels. The pitch is that a shameless rogue accidentally partners with a naive demon, and is stuck playing tour guide to an adorable killing machine that will ruin his poo poo if he gets out of line. It has Joan of Arc, swashbuckling zombie pirates, giant crabs, giant robots, world-ending dragons, and all of it stunningly well animated.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYdXomC4K-Q

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
When season 1 was written did the Manga go past the end of season 2. What I'm wondering if I should even be hypothesizing based on my Rewatching of s1

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I don't feel like waiting until 2018. What chapter of the manga does the end of S2 pick up at so I can grab it and start reading?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MJP posted:

I don't feel like waiting until 2018. What chapter of the manga does the end of S2 pick up at so I can grab it and start reading?
Chapter 51.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

When season 1 was written did the Manga go past the end of season 2. What I'm wondering if I should even be hypothesizing based on my Rewatching of s1

Nah. The manga was actually covering the latter parts of what was covered this season while season 1 was airing.

E: but yeah the anime follows the manga closely enough that you can still pick up any foreshadowing that was dropped in there

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 20, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Isayama is so adept at foreshadowing it's hard to believe this is his first professional work.

He's spoken of changing details here and there (including the fate of major characters and even a presumed earlier ending point for the series) based on feedback from fans and his editor, but even so the series manages to feel like everything was planned well in advance. Either he's very rigorous and measured with his writing in order to make correct determinations of what changes he can make while keeping the structure of of the story seamless whole, or he's exceptionally talented at building upon what he's already laid down.

So if you mean "should I use seemingly throwaway scenes and small details from the first season to make hypothesis about the future of the story?" the answer is very much yes.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

It was actually an anime movie.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

I love that they put them on the opening like they're going to be recurring characters, then they get slaughtered. Seeing them in the opening is a reminder of the cost for having all the awesome gear.

I still hold "Bite" as one of my favorite episodes of the show. Everything's going great for the Levi Squad, then just one by one they get slaughtered, and you're like them, just being unable to process the first death long enough for the next one to happen.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

Conspiratiorist posted:

He's spoken of changing details here and there (including the fate of major characters and even a presumed earlier ending point for the series) based on feedback from fans and his editor, but even so the series manages to feel like everything was planned well in advance.

For anyone who doesn't know. Sasha was supposed to die during her encounter with the Lil'Titan that she 1v1'd with a Bow. Isayama's editor was so broken up over her death that Isayama decided to change it, not realizing how much of a well liked Character he had made Sasha. Which is funny especially after the Fan-fare around her when S1 aired. (Sasha best girl)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Conspiratiorist posted:

Isayama is so adept at foreshadowing it's hard to believe this is his first professional work.

He's spoken of changing details here and there (including the fate of major characters and even a presumed earlier ending point for the series) based on feedback from fans and his editor, but even so the series manages to feel like everything was planned well in advance. Either he's very rigorous and measured with his writing in order to make correct determinations of what changes he can make while keeping the structure of of the story seamless whole, or he's exceptionally talented at building upon what he's already laid down.

So if you mean "should I use seemingly throwaway scenes and small details from the first season to make hypothesis about the future of the story?" the answer is very much yes.

Didn't he want to kill off Sasha pretty early on? That would have been quite a terrible loss. Hurray for adaptive writing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Squidster posted:

I'll strongly second this recommendation. One of the things I liked about Attack on Titan was how few anime tropes it used, and how cinematic it felt. Rage of Bahamut is straight up animated Pirates of the Caribbean with more bounty-hunting soundrels. The pitch is that a shameless rogue accidentally partners with a naive demon, and is stuck playing tour guide to an adorable killing machine that will ruin his poo poo if he gets out of line. It has Joan of Arc, swashbuckling zombie pirates, giant crabs, giant robots, world-ending dragons, and all of it stunningly well animated.

well animated except for bahamut itself anyway

that cg nightmare looks terrible

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
This season was pretty great. Really excited to see how these new powers and everything go. They seem really powerful, i wonder what the catch is to them, or if they'll just introduce stronger antagonists. The author really has done an excellent job revealing the world so far. I hope we will still get creepy human Titan action because if it's becomes animals titans versus human titans or something i feel the animal titans won't be as scary, just going off my glimpse of them in the OP.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

E-flat posted:

My favorite is one I didn't notice until now, happening from a whim to re-watch the training episodes.

And Eren was like "woah, she looks really pissed." Huh, I wonder what happened when they came here.... Ah, right.

holy poo poo Reiner

:dogbutton: I've never seen that scene knowing about Reiner, Beartoto, Annie, and Marcel. Good catch. Man, Reiner nearly hosed all three of them over by playfully joking around like this on his big brother persona on quite a few occasions, huh?

Also, my friend group has finally found time to meet up and have everyone catch up on Attack on Titan to the same point, working around those pesky things like lives, jobs, and relationships! We're going to start at the Female Titan arc for the guy who's furthest behind. Wish me luck on keeping a straight face on scenes like this, everyone.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

It's okay to have an opinion man, just let it out.

Catalina posted:

:dogbutton: I've never seen that scene knowing about Reiner, Beartoto, Annie, and Marcel. Good catch. Man, Reiner nearly hosed all three of them over by playfully joking around like this on his big brother persona on quite a few occasions, huh?

Also, my friend group has finally found time to meet up and have everyone catch up on Attack on Titan to the same point, working around those pesky things like lives, jobs, and relationships! We're going to start at the Female Titan arc for the guy who's furthest behind. Wish me luck on keeping a straight face on scenes like this, everyone.

I must reiterate that it's a really good idea to rewatch the first season knowing what you know now and seeing how many little nods and hints you missed.

There's a ton, like Reiner has smoke coming off of him after he saves Armin and poo poo like that.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Squidster posted:

It also has an excellent second season/sequel that's airing right now.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

As someone current on the manga, rewatching everything has been a really fun experience. The foreshadowing work that Isayama has done with the series is fantastic and the show has done an excellent job translating that to the screen.

The changes to the Annie reveal and fight at the end of season one is probably my only major complaint about the show's adaptation. (Eren tossing Mikasa like a fastball at Annie climbing the wall was a much cooler climax to the fight than the cliched 'Eva-01 rage out' we got in the show.)

The reveal for Bert and Ernie was fantastic, and I am very excited to see the finale of the next season animated if they break the story up the way I'm guessing they will.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
This show constantly reminds me of Blue Gender

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

ATP_Power posted:

The changes to the Annie reveal and fight at the end of season one is probably my only major complaint about the show's adaptation. (Eren tossing Mikasa like a fastball at Annie climbing the wall was a much cooler climax to the fight than the cliched 'Eva-01 rage out' we got in the show.)

Explain more ples

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Explain more ples

In brief:
The reveal: How Annie's psyche was expressed to the viewers when she was found out felt very different in the manga than in the anime (Her smile/laugh before she's rushed and transforms specifically.) I'm having a hard time putting it into words, but her reaction in the show felt far less in keeping with her character than the manga's take

The fight: In the manga Eren is in control of his titan the entire fight, and has an internal monologue about his relationship with Annie (similar to the one he had about Reiner and Bert later.) The fight proceeds pretty much the same as in the show until the point where she crushes Eren's titan's face into paste with a kick. In the manga, she takes him down, and then immediately starts running and is well up the wall before anyone can catch back up to her. Armin realizing that they can't catch her with the 3DMG and has Eren's mangled but healing titan throw Mikasa up the wall to intercept her and cut her down. After she falls, she encases her human body in the crystal, but it doesn't engulf Eren's titan.

Compare that to the show where we get a rote Shonen mecha fight where the way that the protagonists win is through an rear end-pull rage powerup and their individual strength with basically no character moments, creative thinking or teamwork to overcome a seemingly insurmountable challenge.

This sequence is from chapter 31 to 33 for those interested.

The shifters are all fascinating characters and I think Annie got the short end of the stick when it came to how she was treated in the show vs in the manga compared to Reiner, Berthold, and Ymir.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

ATP_Power posted:

In brief:

The shifters are all fascinating characters and I think Annie got the short end of the stick when it came to how she was treated in the show vs in the manga compared to Reiner, Berthold, and Ymir.

One thing I dont understand is why Annie joined the military police if her goal was to capture Eren, being in the scouts would put her closer to him.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The MPs were super corrupt. Nobody would probably notice if she just disappeared for a day while Eren and the scouts go on an expedition.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

ATP_Power posted:

In brief:
The reveal: How Annie's psyche was expressed to the viewers when she was found out felt very different in the manga than in the anime (Her smile/laugh before she's rushed and transforms specifically.) I'm having a hard time putting it into words, but her reaction in the show felt far less in keeping with her character than the manga's take

The fight: In the manga Eren is in control of his titan the entire fight, and has an internal monologue about his relationship with Annie (similar to the one he had about Reiner and Bert later.) The fight proceeds pretty much the same as in the show until the point where she crushes Eren's titan's face into paste with a kick. In the manga, she takes him down, and then immediately starts running and is well up the wall before anyone can catch back up to her. Armin realizing that they can't catch her with the 3DMG and has Eren's mangled but healing titan throw Mikasa up the wall to intercept her and cut her down. After she falls, she encases her human body in the crystal, but it doesn't engulf Eren's titan.

Compare that to the show where we get a rote Shonen mecha fight where the way that the protagonists win is through an rear end-pull rage powerup and their individual strength with basically no character moments, creative thinking or teamwork to overcome a seemingly insurmountable challenge.

This sequence is from chapter 31 to 33 for those interested.

That's a lot of good stuff, honestly, and I agree there are quite a few things that adapt from the manga that leave me scratching my head, character development wise, I want to mention that two of those things were specific requests by the author to be put into the anime. From what I remember, being too lazy to source 4 year old interviews right now, Annie's laugh at being discovered was actually something in the original storyboard, but not put into the manga, a fact that Hajime Isayama regretted enough to request it be put in. He's described it as portraying the feeling of her being able to discard all of the secrets burdening her down and be a normal 15-year-old girl, her true self.

Isayama has also said that a specific request for the anime was to make Eren's character more useless, and that he himself didn't fully realize Eren's complete character until after he had seen the anime and heard Yūki Kaji act as his voice, as Eren was the main character and more of a "slave to the story".

The final Annie vs. Eren fight I got nothing, though. I saw the anime first so I like both of them, but I understand a lot of the dislike from manga fans. I'm disappointed myself that a lot of the reaction of the characters after the battle to regain Eren from Reiner and BerritoBertholdt was cut to fit the 12 episode format. I was especially looking forward to Historia losing her poo poo over why the hell Ymir would leave her and screaming at people not to call her Krista anymore. I was also looking foward to Jean, Connie, and Eren talking about the cost of saving Eren, and Eren growing as a person and deflatedly thanking Jean for saving Mikasa and him instead of rising to Jean's bait.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Sorry :shobon:

Philip Rivers fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 21, 2017

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I'm not trying to single you out, Philip Rivers, it's not in the OP, but in the last thread we had a "no manga spoilers, not even in tags, take it to the manga discussion thread" rule, and it's been an unwritten rule for this thread.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

One of the reasons I ask is commander Pyxis called himself a warrior and not a soldier in episode 5, and for Reiner that distinction seems to be important to his identity as a shifter. :stare:

:vince:

Back when I saw the first season, I suspected Pyxis was the colossal titan, just because they both have bald heads and something else I had thought of at the time. Interesting that I was wrong, but somehow not far off.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Sjs00 posted:

This show constantly reminds me of Blue Gender

Too bad the kids never exploded into bugs themselves.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I feel like a fool not realizing Reiner was a shifter after watching ep 17 again where he gets purposely caught by Anne

He reveals that he thought Erin was in the flank that got attacked first and after he learns Eren is in the middle and he gets caught by Annie she starts running that way.

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 21, 2017

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I feel like a fool not realizing Reiner was a shifter after watching ep 17 again where he gets purposely caught by Anne

He reveals that he thought Erin was in the flank that got attacked first and after he learns Eren is in the middle and he gets caught by Annie she starts running that way.

That's what's great about rewatching the series, because they lay out all this information plain as day but you're not looking for any of it so nothing seems out of the ordinary. As soon as you know what happens down the line you start to see all sorts of details that really make you appreciate just how much foreshadowing there actually was.

Like with the scene you mentioned where Reiner gets caught by Annie -- you're so shocked by the fact that main man Reiner just got killed (and then not) that you're not really looking for small clues because you're too focused on the fact that this character almost just died and then came back and it's overwhelming. Going back and watching obviously you know what is going to happen and can parse the scene at a different speed and so the foreshadowing becomes much more clear.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The steam was Annie's blood though.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Conspiratiorist posted:

The steam was Annie's blood though.

That is the conclusion that they wanted you to make.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

That is the conclusion that they wanted you to make.

Reiner just cut a message into her hand, right? Even after watching the reveal episode in S2, that's what I always assumed it was.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
After watching Levi carve up Annie again I'm sorta hoping we get to see him take on the monkey titan, solo or with a partner like Mikasa or  Erwin (can you operate 3dm with just one arm?)

I like how it's apparent that if Eren didn't listen to Levi at first he could have probably stopped Levi's squad from dying and beat Annie

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 21, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

After watching Levi carve up Annie again I'm sorta hoping we get to see him take on the monkey titan, solo or with a partner like Mikasa or Erwin (can you operate 3dm with just one arm?)

you control the gear with your hands (that's what the triggers on the sword hilts are for)

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Yeah but couldnt you conceivably have two triggers on one hand? I really hope Erwin can continue being out on the front lines

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I like how it's apparent that if Eren didn't listen to Levi at first he could have probably stopped Levi's squad from dying and beat Annie

The best part is that nobody blames him for it. Everyone is mature enough to not dwell in what-ifisms.

Except for Eren himself, who naturally beats himself over it again and again.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
If real life was an animes would you guys rather be in this world or one punch man's world?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

If real life was an animes would you guys rather be in this world or one punch man's world?

One Punch Man's world. Sure as soon as the story starts humanity gets more and more screwed and destroyed by monsters, but at least I still get the modern comforts of life and hope that I live next to Saitama. In AoT I'm stuck in medieval hell with giant disproportionate zombies with no idea any place outside the walls that is completely safe from the Titans. Plus I trust Saitama to beat up the next cosmic horror to pay me back for fixing his plumbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

One Punch Man's world. There's internet.

• Locked thread