Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Zzulu posted:

I was ready to hate on Overwatch because I really disliked the style of it.

It felt like it was designed in a boardroom, you know? Like, they had "blizzards style" and then just threw dissonant poo poo on the wall and the end product made no sense at all.

BUT

Then I played it... and it was actually super fun. Like, Tracers mechanic alone sold me on the game. You get to play a shooter with a character that can blink twice and then rewind time for herself. That poo poo is a million times cooler than the Call of Duty garbage that is getting so stale now

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

VideoTapir posted:

The only good 3D platformer was Jumping Flash.
I loving loved JF2 as a teen. Everyone says Half Life is the best first-person platformer, but Jumping Flash did everything right with the camera, and the triple jump was a fantastic idea that other games should have stolen or learned from. JF2 has some of my favorite vidya music ever, too.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My sincere but unpopular opinion: you should not be able to field-revive dead squad mates in most video games, and similarly in most games you should just go "alive ----> dead" with no "downed" state in between. A downed/revive system is something that may make sense for a select few types of games but has absolutely no place in your average shooter/action game, imo.

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion among players or just designers though.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
It's one of my least favorite things in TF2. I mean, it's helpful sometimes, but more often when I am waiting to respawn I'm mentally planning out my route to a more advantageous position; not expecting to be thrown right back into the meat grinder that just got me killed. Then there's the times where I just charged into a meat grinder because it's more useful to be a bullet sponge than to just suicide when I'm killing myself to reach a point close to spawn faster than walking there.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

this is dumb and bad, max payne is super playable today and always has been, the bullet time and shooting are really well balanced and fun, its much more fun than lame cover shooters

max payne is still awesome, but i can see how kids who grew up playing games in the era of regenerating health and aiming reticules the size of dinner plates might find it too hard

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I played it when it was new and hated it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Twelve Batmans posted:

Agreed. It's gotten to point where I seek out games I overlooked when I was younger specifically because I'm looking for something janky and weird that doesn't handle like a contemporary AAA game. poo poo like God Hand had obvious challenges (camera always being behind your back) but offered ways to provide information to the player that forced them to cobble together a method of reacting to what the game throws at you (radar system to catch enemies from the back and sides).

Have you tried kid Icarus uprising

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

get that OUT of my face posted:

gamepro was the pinnacle of video game reviews even though some of the ones they did were laughable. they gave that star wars fighting game for ps1 a very good score even though it was widely considered to suck balls. that probably had something to do with the fact that it was on the cover for the issue they reviewed it in

The odd thing is that despite that I seem to recall that game being extremely popular after it came out. Maybe it was because it was a big exclusive with a brand that was rebuilding some mainstream pop culture popularity, fighting games were still pretty popular, etc.

It's maybe the same way that stuff like the first TMNT game on the NES seemed to always be a highly popular game on the playground or in Nintendo Power for years.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 20, 2017

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I have not solely for the fact that it's a handheld game and I came to hate playing on tiny screens but I had it recommended to me several times. I might just emulate it and try it out.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Teleglitch is an aesthetic triumph and one of the most beautiful games I have ever played.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah you can be cynical about the cyborg waifus and bitch about ultimates or whatever, but the gameplay is fun and almost all the classes have unique mechanics no other FPS is offering.

Plus the worst character--D.vA -- gets mocked as a mountain dew-chugging neckbeard girl a lot by fans which makes her much more tolerable.
as cringeworthy as the blatant pandering to fans is, overwatch at least is different than the average FPS and that's something in its favor

SciFiDownBeat posted:

that game looks great other than the fact that you need three hands to control it effectively. i want to see another game in the franchise for the switch

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
That final fantasy XV fishing game looks dope

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Speaking of fishing, the fishing minigame in Stardew Valley is cool and good.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Eela6 posted:

Teleglitch is an aesthetic triumph and one of the most beautiful games I have ever played.

Teleglitch is my favorite top-down shooter. And one of the only good rogue-like shooter games.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Meridian posted:

Speaking of fishing, the fishing minigame in Stardew Valley is cool and good.

Games with good fishing games in them:

Breath of Fire III
Breath of Fire IV

Uuuhh... list more please. I love fishing minigames.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Chomp8645 posted:

My sincere but unpopular opinion: you should not be able to field-revive dead squad mates in most video games, and similarly in most games you should just go "alive ----> dead" with no "downed" state in between. A downed/revive system is something that may make sense for a select few types of games but has absolutely no place in your average shooter/action game, imo.

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion among players or just designers though.

Just use a shotgun or grenade launcher or some other thing that renders the target turbo hosed

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Twelve Batmans posted:

Breath of Fire III
Breath of Fire IV

Off the top of my head that's pretty much all I've got. Most of the ones that come to mind are just "cast, wait for sound/visual effect, hit button" and that's where they stop.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't understand how one man made Stardew Valley but everybody else is poo poo. The industry is garbage.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Vegetable posted:

I don't understand how one man made Stardew Valley but everybody else is poo poo. The industry is garbage.

Yeah it's pretty incredible.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Twelve Batmans posted:

Breath of Fire III
Breath of Fire IV

I liked Harvest Moon's and Animal Crossing's fishing things as a young lad

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Vegetable posted:

The same way one guy in his house did the music, art, and programming for Cave Story and that is still a way better game than 99% of the indie pixel garbage shat out by start-ups commandeered by people with weird-colored hair/ear-gauges and white-board walls everywhere.

Quantity isn't quality. You get one person who knows what they are doing and they are worth a whole company of "indie devs". Hell probably worth more I'd say.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Meridian posted:

Off the top of my head that's pretty much all I've got. Most of the ones that come to mind are just "cast, wait for sound/visual effect, hit button" and that's where they stop.

Yeah most games are like this. Suikoden II's the same thing.

BoF 3's was great though because the lure system, uses of fish, and all the varied sprites/info on them.

4's however cranked it up by giving you the choice of positioning around the lake/river/etc. and then allowing you fish in specific spots where certain fish were more likely to inhabit. I didn't even know I liked fishing mini-games until I played Breath of Fire.

SuperSlacker
Mar 11, 2007

*Gamergate opinion*

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Bass Masters Classic on the Genesis was the only fishing game I've ever really enjoyed.

Best part was finding a hidden pond on the map and catching a bass so big that it near took up the entire screen.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
mario jumps too high

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Dragon Age Inquisition is really just Dragon's Dogma plus horses and minus the fun.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

all bioware games are basically just dating sims with either gun shooting interludes or magic shooting interludes. You could probably reskin mass effect or dragon age over eachother and they would barely change mechanically, and the romances are middle school level dogshit for idiots tbh

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

basic hitler posted:

all bioware games are basically just dating sims with either gun shooting interludes or magic shooting interludes. You could probably reskin mass effect or dragon age over eachother and they would barely change mechanically, and the romances are middle school level dogshit for idiots tbh

You're not wrong. It's why I picked up the game when it was on sale for $15 with all the DLCs included. I enjoyed Origins' story, liked II's combat. I figured I might as well finish the trilogy with Inquisition, but the overall story direction is batshit insane. All I wanted to do was fight Darkspawn and save the loving world, not play diplomacy between mages and templars.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

SciFiDownBeat posted:

i really didnt like this game at all, it was shiny and cool but felt like it was on rails despite knowing that it wasn't. it was cool to play for 15 minutes and i didnt really feel compelled to play more than that

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Vegetable posted:

an autistic fedora neckbeard who has no clue how to design video games made the most successful video game of all time

quake and doom are foundational to the entirety of modern game design and were coded almost entirely by john carmack in what i assume to be a cocaine induced stupor. he banged that poo poo out, released it on deadline, figured it was too poo poo, and rewrote it from scratch again

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nigga crab pollock posted:

an autistic fedora neckbeard who has no clue how to design video games made the most successful video game of all time

quake and doom are foundational to the entirety of modern game design and were coded almost entirely by john carmack in what i assume to be a cocaine induced stupor. he banged that poo poo out, released it on deadline, figured it was too poo poo, and rewrote it from scratch again

Carmack was just copying akalabeth

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

basic hitler posted:

let's never forget this post by a bioware writer on their own forums

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That's literally the most disgusting thing I've read in a while

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

jesus

wasn't the head writer at one point some kind of hambeast lesbian

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

That has to be nepotism getting that person a job writing at that level. It's like a lesser known Baldwin brother riding on the coat-tails of Alec's latest hosed up tweet to land a lovely D movie gig but for video games. that's a relative of a producer or something

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

regardless, if you have a job where that's the level of content you're producing on a multi million dollar project, you didn't earn your position. to anyone reading this, you are just a leech that people humor for career reasons. Just so you know, uhhh *gigglesquee*

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'd imagine that there are plenty of people at bioware who think and talk like sheryl chee, and that's why the romances in their games are so stupid

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I bet you're pretty proud of the size of your bioware forum screencap folder

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Twelve Batmans posted:

The same way one guy in his house did the music, art, and programming for Cave Story and that is still a way better game than 99% of the indie pixel garbage shat out by start-ups commandeered by people with weird-colored hair/ear-gauges

Um ok, what SHOULD game devs look like?

EDIT: I agree with what you're saying about devs but then you vault into old man//cloud territory immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Indie games are the new DOS garage games. Its 90% shovelware with the remaining 10% being either obscure gems like Brigador or a competant development house w/ no publisher.