Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

MasterSlowPoke posted:

That's not the proper size for Ultramarines in late M30.

New 30k thread title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
While not quite done just yet, these bad boys are are table top ready stage for me. Now that admech is much simplified I look forward to playing and not going cross eyed.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

All I'm really hoping for now is to have the rest of the Primaris line release before the Konor campaign kicks off, so I have enough time to build poo poo.

Giving the escalation piece of the Konor campaign I'd say there's a decent chance they're going to release the new Primaris stuff along with each phase.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Babby's first speedpainted Howling Griffon.

Now I understand why such a rad looking army is so rare.

Blood Ravens and Exorcists are becoming more likely what I will choose.

Edit: i hit it with Agrax Earthshade, but I hadn't let my varnish dry long enough so the finish crazed. (Not pictured)

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011
Painting up the Primaris marines from the starter as Celestial Lions with the Vallejo liquid gold paints. Only Issue is where would I get Celestial Lions transfers and lion bits to spruce up the squads.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

The Sisko posted:

While not quite done just yet, these bad boys are are table top ready stage for me. Now that admech is much simplified I look forward to playing and not going cross eyed.

Hell yah my man, looking good. Especially like the edge highlighting. Subtle but it makes the khaki color pop.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Comrade Merf posted:

Painting up the Primaris marines from the starter as Celestial Lions with the Vallejo liquid gold paints. Only Issue is where would I get Celestial Lions transfers and lion bits to spruce up the squads.

Shapeways has actual lion shoulder pads, but no insignia or transfers. There are a couple companies that are doing design your own decals, but I can't remember the name of the website.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Zuul the Cat posted:

Shapeways has actual lion shoulder pads, but no insignia or transfers. There are a couple companies that are doing design your own decals, but I can't remember the name of the website.

http://www.fallouthobbies.com/custom

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
In the Forge World Index Astartes, it has Spartans as Lords of War (too bad, was hoping for heavy). They are also relics. The relic rule says you cannot have more than one relic in a battle-forged detachment than you have other units of the same battlefield role.

Ah, also the Relic Contemptor has the full suite of weapon options, as well as a kind of feel no pain on a 6 ability called "Relic of Ancient Glory."

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 21, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

GreenMarine posted:

In the Forge World Index Astartes, it has Spartans as Lords of War (too bad, was hoping for heavy). They are also relics. The relic rule says you cannot have more than one relic in a battle-forged detachment than you have other units of the same battlefield role.

Ah, also the Relic Contemptor has the full suite of weapon options, as well as a kind of feel no pain on a 6 ability called "Relic of Ancient Glory."

Yeah that's the same thing venerable dreads get.

Also, that's loving hilarious. Forgeworld has no idea how their own rules work. I guess they expect you to take it in a superheavy detachment with 2 knights or something to make a legal detachment.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Forgeworld are pretty terrible at anything rules-wise, but the old Imperial Armour books had great fluff. I wonder if they'll ever re-release the big campaign books for 8th.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Yeah that's the same thing venerable dreads get.

Also, that's loving hilarious. Forgeworld has no idea how their own rules work. I guess they expect you to take it in a superheavy detachment with 2 knights or something to make a legal detachment.
You can take just one Lord of War in a Super Heavy Auxiliary Detachment. There's no addition or subtraction to the number of command points you get.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Endman posted:

Forgeworld are pretty terrible at anything rules-wise, but the old Imperial Armour books had great fluff. I wonder if they'll ever re-release the big campaign books for 8th.

The 30k red books are fantastic. I've actually got a bit of faith in 7.5 being really good.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Safety Factor posted:

You can take just one Lord of War in a Super Heavy Auxiliary Detachment. There's no addition or subtraction to the number of command points you get.

Yes. But then you have more relic than non-relic vehicles in the detachment and so it's not a legal detachment. The Relic rule is based on detachments, not on the army.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
"If your army is battle-forged, no detachment may contain more RELIC units than it does non-RELIC units of the same battlefield role." Maybe they intend this or maybe they will FAQ it. Either way, you can't take a RELIC super heavy without taking at least one non-RELIC superheavy.

The book seems good overall.

One other thing, there are two rules called "Relic of Ancient Glory." One is the aforementioned feel no pain like effect.

The other is a Stratagem that costs 2 CP and says "This Stratagem is used at the beginning of your fight phase. Choose a single friendly RELIC unit, all friendly ADEPTUS ASTARTES models within 6" of the chosen RELIC unit may re-roll the first failed hit roll of that phase."

So that doesn't seem too bad.

Also, Storm Eagles and Fire Raptors are not relics.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 21, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:laffo: Ok, so you can't take a simple Spartan. That's rough. I mean, how often is someone going to take multiple super heavies?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I think the bare minimum points would be taking a spartan, guilliman, and a knight gallant in order to legally field the spartan.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

So I did a THING. For laughs using an online army builder since I don't have the full rules yet I decided to see how big of a LEGAL army I could make out of my 2nd tier army (as Chaos Space Marines are my first love. Tyranids are third.) following the Detachment Points list construction rules. This is what I was capable of creating legally!

Things not in use STILL include another Falcon, 2 more Warlocks, 2 Storm Guardians with Fusion Guns, a Storm Guardian with a Power Fist, a Storm Guardian with 2 Pistols, Karandras, Everyone's Least Favorite Farseer Eldrad U., another War Walker, and a D Cannon Team. (I have 2 Superheavy Tanks which were once known as Tempests as well but they are Forge World now. They became known as the Scorpion. At least in the Imperial Armor II softback.) So this is my legally built megaforce detachment I won't ever use as one force. But I have it. I took all my silly rear end Space Elves and made ALL THE LIST at once.

Doing this lets me know I have 5 models to glue back together before this afternoon when I play a 1K Patrol points game. And ideally my rulebook will come in the mail (unlikely), and I can get the Xenos 1 Index at the comic shop. (I should also be buying a Necron army for 100 bucks that is like 250 bucks of stuff. Because I totally need another army.)

Also if its fun and I get actively playing 40K again I can go in and both touch up or actually paint my Elves then maybe the Crons or Chaos. (My Nids are pretty much done outside of paint washes.)

An idea of what my Nid scheme looks like. This old school Warrior made a friend. :3: Though they are mostly all in my model complete Tyranid Attack set now:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

I think the bare minimum points would be taking a spartan, guilliman, and a knight gallant in order to legally field the spartan.
You wouldn't need three Lords of War, just two including the Spartan. 1 is not more than 1. It's still dumb and FW clearly only considered the normal detachments when they wrote that rule.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It sounds like an error and they're normally pretty good at clarifying these things.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Safety Factor posted:

You wouldn't need three Lords of War, just two including the Spartan. 1 is not more than 1. It's still dumb and FW clearly only considered the normal detachments when they wrote that rule.

But isn't the Super-Heavy detachment 3-5 LoWs?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Safety Factor posted:

No, the lord of war detachment is 3-5. The only way to field it in a detachment where half or more of them are non-relic is 1 spartan to 2 other lords of war. If you got two superheavy auxilliary detachments, 1 a spartan and 1 something else, it still wouldn't be legal because the spartan is its own detachment that is 100% relic.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, sounds like typical FW rules writing. I'm sure they'll fix it as it makes running a Spartan or Typhon, etc. exorbitantly expensive if you need two more super heavies. Someone should e-mail them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Be careful with their email responses. They've given clarifications over email that have been wrong in the past lmao.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Be careful with their email responses. They've given clarifications over email that have been wrong in the past lmao.
Yeah, there's only a slight chance they actually ask anyone on the rules team. Most of the time it's just the person on customer service duty making up something.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, there's only a slight chance they actually ask anyone on the rules team. Most of the time it's just the person on customer service duty making up something.

Someone got a response from them re Maru Skara rite of war in 30k and their incorrect email is basically the first google search response. It causes no end of loving problems...

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Someone got a response from them re Maru Skara rite of war in 30k and their incorrect email is basically the first google search response. It causes no end of loving problems...

In the context of 30k being considered to be the GW game for the more "serious" gamer this conversation is amusing me to no end.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pendent posted:

In the context of 30k being considered to be the GW game for the more "serious" gamer this conversation is amusing me to no end.

It's only serious by virtue of it being for the groggy gamer that wants to play historical Napoleonic battles in some batshit stupid future world of fascist supermen. I've found the people that play the game are as chill or more chill than 40k (which isn't a high chill level, but nonetheless) and often make really loving stupid decisions based on "well, a world eater totally would have tried to charge through that dangerous pool of acid".

JBP posted:

It sounds like an error and they're normally pretty good at clarifying these things.

Obviously when I said this I meant errata or similar. Don't listen to the email man. Forgeworld email man bad.

JBP fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 21, 2017

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh man, yeah, FW has alarmingly bad editing sometimes. They have some headscratchers when it comes to balance too.

To their credit tho, they never went to a full 7th edition and 6.5 30k has been a pretty fun and balanced experience. Meanwhile 7th nosedived so hard GW Prime basically had to reboot the setting :shrug:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BULBASAUR posted:

Oh man, yeah, FW has alarmingly bad editing sometimes. They have some headscratchers when it comes to balance too.

To their credit tho, they never went to a full 7th edition and 6.5 30k has been a pretty fun and balanced experience. Meanwhile 7th nosedived so hard GW Prime basically had to reboot the setting :shrug:

I feel like their own game is well balanced after the red books, but imperial armour has always been pretty funny releasing blatantly superior stuff that costs the same points as mainline GW armour and stuff. I think it was the laser destroyer battery for IG that was the most hated as a few of them could clean sweep an armoured column on the first turn and they were cheap as poo poo considering they could reliably blow the poo poo out of land raiders with minimal fuss.

There is also the opposite end where they release a nice model that has cool rules but it is so expensive in points that no one wants to take it.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

BULBASAUR posted:

Speaking of balance:

Fellblade has a demolisher cannon and a gun that's either Heavy 2d6 S8 AP -3 2 damage, or Heavy 2 S14 AP-4 6 damage

For exactly 100 points more (717 vs 817) you can get a falchion with a literal twin volcano cannon with 2d6 S16 AP-5 2d6 damage. They've got some real hits and misses with statting out their 30k stuff. Heavy 2 compared to a 2d6 volcano cannon is super disappointing, even if it also gets a demolisher to go with it. The whole xdx system for shots just does not scale up properly.

Also, the new void shields are so loving lovely. They're just an invuln save that works against mortal wounds and the save gets worse as you go down the damage degradation chart. They're boring as poo poo.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 21, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

chutche2 posted:

Speaking of balance:

Fellblade has a demolisher cannon and a gun that's either Heavy 2d6 S8 AP -3 2 damage, or Heavy 2 S14 AP-4 6 damage

For exactly 100 points more (717 vs 817) you can get a falchion with a literal twin volcano cannon with 2d6 S16 AP-5 2d6 damage. They've got some real hits and misses with statting out their 30k stuff. Heavy 2 compared to a 2d6 volcano cannon is super disappointing, even if it also gets a demolisher to go with it.

Well it is cheaper (100 pts will kit out all your sargeants) and the damage number is super reliable on the fellblade, plus as you said you have the demolisher. I guess it depends what you're shooting but AP-4 and 6 dam isn't garbage, plus it can go infantry clearing in the other mode along with a demolisher round which is pretty rude.

But yeah take the huge loving volcano gun because it is a volcano gun.

e: actually I can't work it out in my head, maybe I'm doing mental arithmetic that doesn't make sense and is desperate to justify the fellblade for some stupid reason. The demolisher is nice, but you could take a conga line of tanks with demolisher cannons for that price.

JBP fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 21, 2017

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Any of our resident Ork players want to give me some advice? I am trying to draft a 1.5k list now indexes are out.

Regular warbikers? I love the aesthetic, but the only consolidated source of 8e unit info I can find considers them absolutely terrible, though it is 1d4chan wiki so they could be over reacting.

Koptas seem really, really expensive, over 80 points a pop for fairly innaccurate guns and a random number of attacks, what are the benefits to them? I have 3 aobr models and again, sweet as gently caress aesthetic so I'm just looking for a reason to field them.

A gun platform battlewagon? A few weeks before 8th dropped someone had the idea of loading a kff mek into a hardcase battlewagon, having it hang back with the killkannon and shokk gun and have it blast things while the mek keeps it safe and topped up. Anyone tried it yet? I feel like I might be able to get similar results for slightly cheaper if I swap the wagon for some mek guns, more accurate too.

I want the centrepiece of my army to be a Big Mek, Painboy and Warboss all on warbikes backed up by some nob bikers. Riding around tying stuff up to allow some big squads of boyz to foot slog up the map safely. Backed up by some of the above.

I'm not too bothered about having the absolute most optimised list but I don't want to spend my money and points on a terrible strategy or really bad units. So advice would be appreciated.

Tiger Millionaire fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jun 21, 2017

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
"Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him!"

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Any of our resident Ork players want to give me some advice?

Koptas get the big bombs for free so I can see them being a really nice reaction to terminator type deep strike things. Also fly can let you charge straight over stuff into some backline artillery tank or whatever and tie that up. Probably best in units of 1 to engage as many separate units as possible and have no moral problems. I think they rule.

The mek won't be able to shoot out of a hardcased wagon. Probably better having him sat beside it anyway so he can do repairs. I'm excited to see the lifta droppa wagon that should be in the new FW index.

But I dunno I haven't even played yet.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Any of our resident Ork players want to give me some advice? I am trying to draft a 1.5k list now indexes are out.

Regular warbikers? I love the aesthetic, but the only consolidated source of 8e unit info I can find considers them absolutely terrible, though it is 1d4chan wiki so they could be over reacting.

Koptas seem really, really expensive, over 80 points a pop for fairly innaccurate guns and a random number of attacks, what are the benefits to them? I have 3 aobr models and again, sweet as gently caress aesthetic so I'm just looking for a reason to field them.

A gun platform battlewagon? A few weeks before 8th dropped someone had the idea of loading a kff mek into a hardcase battlewagon, having it hang back with the killkannon and shokk gun and have it blast things while the mek keeps it safe and topped up. Anyone tried it yet? I feel like I might be able to get similar results for slightly cheaper if I swap the wagon for some mek guns, more accurate too.

I want the centrepiece of my army to be a Big Mek, Painboy and Warboss all on warbikes backed up by some nob bikers. Riding around tying stuff up to allow some big squads of boyz to foot slog up the map safely. Backed up by some of the above.

I'm not too bothered about having the absolute most optimised list but I don't want to spend my money and points on a terrible strategy or really bad units. So advice would be appreciated.

I like speed freaks - Ork warbikers seem to have been buffed. They have 2 wounds and now have 6 shots at s5. They are quick which will help them get into combat turn 1-2. Moral is a weakness as they will have fewer models than most Ork units and they have lost the inbuilt cover save. I cannot see a reason to complain about them. Deffkoptas seem to be useful for harassing a weaker backfield unit. I think they are too expensive for 4 wounds at T5 if you take killsaws and/or rokkits. I would say keep them cheap and use them to tie up units after dropping a bomb on them.

For your purposes, you can squeeze 3 30 Boy units and a 10 Nob-biker unit into a brigade detachment accompanied by a Warboss, Painboy and Big Mek (all on bikes). Lots of klaws in there.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Am I being dumb or can Ironclad dreads not take 2x DCCWs? I swear this used to be a thing but maybe I'm remembering wrong. If not then wow they are expensive.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Corrode posted:

Am I being dumb or can Ironclad dreads not take 2x DCCWs? I swear this used to be a thing but maybe I'm remembering wrong. If not then wow they are expensive.

They never had that option. Seismic Hammer or chainfist only for left arms.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

They never had that option. Seismic Hammer or chainfist only for left arms.

Thanks. Shows how long it is since my Ironclad got on the table.

E: also can't see any kind of cost for Ironclad assault launchers.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jun 21, 2017

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Last night I had my first full-sized game of 8E, deciding to play a narrative mission which was surprisingly fun. We had originally agreed to play 100 power each, but I threw in an extra ~30 at the last minute for the scenario as attacking forces arrive piecemeal from reserve. The game took exactly 4 hours, which is pretty impressive considering it was effectively ~2700pts vs 2000pts and we kept double checking all the new rules and stats. With a bit more experience I can see the same game being done in 3 hours, which is a definite improvement from 7E.
  • Hormagaunts are incredible. I took 60, and despite half arriving late they were just an unstoppable tide that swept away anything they touched - including consolidating into a damaged Russ to finish it off. Only Pask with anti-horde weapons managed to put up any real dent in them.
  • Venomthrope toxic miasma is pretty nasty, providing the edge to get the gaunts take out Coteaz and his retinue.
  • Same goes for the Maleceptor AoE ability, although its combat attacks were underwhelming against a T8 Russ.
  • My lone Carnifex made a desperate charge at a Vanquisher, forcing it to overload its plasma cannons and cripple itself before dropping to a fluke lascannon overwatch shot. Reckon I'll need to at least field these in pairs in future.
  • A Trygon weathered fire from a Russ squadron long enough to smash one of them, exploding it and crippling everything nearby.
  • My Dimachaeron used a stratagem to compensate for its turn 4 arrival, outflanking straight into the Russ squadron to finish off Pask and anyone nearby.
  • The Swarmlord got the worst of the reserve rolls, arriving on turn 4. Even with his double move he didn't manage to reach anything before the end of the game. A little annoying as I was most looking forward to using him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Gaunts hordes! Gaunts hordes!
Hordes of Gaunts!