Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
Do goons still play this in any force? I turned it back on a bit ago and am enjoying a few of the new classes so I was wondering if we had any sort of presence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herr
Jan 19, 2009
Right now I'm sat in Calpheon at level 42 Wizard, with 33 quests within the city which I absolutely cannot stand doing, and I just want to get to PvP. I can't wait to get all these quests over, be done with and be at 56-57.

I've heard that gear is very important in PvP, and it requires a time, silver and potentially cash investment to get there. How much time am I looking at wallowing in this filthy quest and exp grind, and how much cash am I supposed to throw away? Let's say I'm averaging 3-4 hours a night.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

herr posted:

Right now I'm sat in Calpheon at level 42 Wizard, with 33 quests within the city which I absolutely cannot stand doing, and I just want to get to PvP. I can't wait to get all these quests over, be done with and be at 56-57.

I've heard that gear is very important in PvP, and it requires a time, silver and potentially cash investment to get there. How much time am I looking at wallowing in this filthy quest and exp grind, and how much cash am I supposed to throw away? Let's say I'm averaging 3-4 hours a night.

stop doing quests, just stop

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Enkmar posted:

stop doing quests, just stop

yeah, just go murder stuff with xp boosts. much faster leveling

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Also unless you start intently studying Blade Bocques's entire catalog of work you probably wont be able to afford competitive pvp gear for a long while. The bum to billionaire series has lots of good info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwAVAizh0_g

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Enkmar posted:

Also unless you start intently studying Blade Bocques's entire catalog of work you probably wont be able to afford competitive pvp gear for a long while. The bum to billionaire series has lots of good info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwAVAizh0_g

Even if you do, it will either take you a couple months or a lot of no-lifing to get to semi-competitive gear. Bladeboques puts out a lot of content, but I'd take any recent information from blackdesertanalytics or from morrolan over bladeboques since they put a lot more work into their stuff.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

herr posted:

Ok so Korean PVP MMOs are not like western ones. In WoW you can buy a token to get you to near max level, then quest for a few hours, then go do arena and be PVP relevant in less than a week. WoW has a level cap, which is easy to reach, and gear is "normalized" for the most part in PVP.
In Korean MMOs you spend 70% of your time PVE grinding, 25% of the time waiting for things such as the marketplace, crafting, etc, and maybe 5% of the time PVPing. They have no level hard cap but each level require exponentially more XP. You said you are level 42. Getting to level 50 takes double that time. Getting to 56 takes as much time as getting 6-8 characters to 50. Getting to 60 takes the same amount of time as getting 8 characters to 56. We are talking an hour or more of effective grinding just for 1% of xp.
On top of that you need gear, gear which also becomes exponentially more expensive.

PVP is largely gear and level dependent, somewhat class dependent and a tiny bit player skill dependent. The top dogs in pvp now are all 60 to 61 (which requires a SIGNIFICANT dedication and time investment to reach) AND they have gear worth billions, AND they play 6-12 hours per day AND they already have a worker empire providing a ton of passive income per day. You might eventually reach to the top because people previously on the top burn out, but you will never be able to catch up to the people currently on top.

Playing Korean MMOs for the pvp is a fools errand. They are decent PVE games though, letting you slaughter hordes of enemies without having to pay much attention.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

Ok so Korean PVP MMOs are not like western ones. In WoW you can buy a token to get you to near max level, then quest for a few hours, then go do arena and be PVP relevant in less than a week. WoW has a level cap, which is easy to reach, and gear is "normalized" for the most part in PVP.
In Korean MMOs you spend 70% of your time PVE grinding, 25% of the time waiting for things such as the marketplace, crafting, etc, and maybe 5% of the time PVPing. They have no level hard cap but each level require exponentially more XP. You said you are level 42. Getting to level 50 takes double that time. Getting to 56 takes as much time as getting 6-8 characters to 50. Getting to 60 takes the same amount of time as getting 8 characters to 56. We are talking an hour or more of effective grinding just for 1% of xp.
On top of that you need gear, gear which also becomes exponentially more expensive.

PVP is largely gear and level dependent, somewhat class dependent and a tiny bit player skill dependent. The top dogs in pvp now are all 60 to 61 (which requires a SIGNIFICANT dedication and time investment to reach) AND they have gear worth billions, AND they play 6-12 hours per day AND they already have a worker empire providing a ton of passive income per day. You might eventually reach to the top because people previously on the top burn out, but you will never be able to catch up to the people currently on top.

Playing Korean MMOs for the pvp is a fools errand. They are decent PVE games though, letting you slaughter hordes of enemies without having to pay much attention.

I wouldn't necessarily say never but it is indeed a fool's errand. Most of the very top people are soft capped (full tet armor and weapons, full tri yellow accessories) or close to it. Upgrading a single piece past that point can cost more than getting to that point in the first place, so while it is possible to meaningfully catch up it still requires an extraordinary amount of time and silver that most of us do not have unless someone happens to stream video games full time

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

gwrtheyrn posted:

I wouldn't necessarily say never but it is indeed a fool's errand. Most of the very top people are soft capped (full tet armor and weapons, full tri yellow accessories) or close to it. Upgrading a single piece past that point can cost more than getting to that point in the first place, so while it is possible to meaningfully catch up it still requires an extraordinary amount of time and silver that most of us do not have unless someone happens to stream video games full time

The solution, is to gank squad people.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ywat1S-Wps

J
Jun 10, 2001

Patch tomorrow bringing striker awakening and higher level sausans, and some kind of un announced event. Supposedly the new sausans are about the same difficulty as cadries in valencia.

quote:

Striker Awakening will be launched with an event.
New hunting ground Shultz Guard post will be added to Sausan Garrison.
A new Battle Arena will be added.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
So I've been gone for a bit. Wtf is a sausans and a cadre.

J
Jun 10, 2001

YOTC posted:

Sounds like you've probably been gone since before they expanded the original release's area. Mediah added land east of Heidel. In the mediah area, sausans is in the north/northeast by the water, it is probably the 2nd most popular grind spot in the game behind pirate island. Cadries are another grind spot in the valencia expansion, which is the landmass east of the mediah area.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

J posted:

Sounds like you've probably been gone since before they expanded the original release's area. Mediah added land east of Heidel. In the mediah area, sausans is in the north/northeast by the water, it is probably the 2nd most popular grind spot in the game behind pirate island. Cadries are another grind spot in the valencia expansion, which is the landmass east of the mediah area.

Yeah I stopped like a week before the expansion hit. Just got burned out cooking forever after I hit 50 on my main and had nothing to do but gear grind. This whole game is gear grind though and I'm in a better mindset for that atm.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I've been leveling a ranger and enjoying it's gameplay, but I just found out after the awakening it's melee focused. What classes are range focused post awakening. I've been enjoying it's Dodge and shooty shoot shoot playstyle.

Also how the hell do I use the marketplace and not lag out?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Basically witch/wizard, and DK a little, though they all are kind of PBAOE with 1 or 2 long range skills. Nothing like the ranger pre-awakening. Though the W/W skills are spammable.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 21, 2017

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Krataar posted:

Also how the hell do I use the marketplace and not lag out?

Search after choosing a category, and avoid using favorites.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'm installing this game now because I have nothing better to do with my time so why not PvE for hours and hours? Are all the classes pretty well functional, or are there a couple classes that are far and away better than others? I'm not super interested in PvP right now and I just wanna slay enemies and get gold so would a DK work well for that?

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm installing this game now because I have nothing better to do with my time so why not PvE for hours and hours? Are all the classes pretty well functional, or are there a couple classes that are far and away better than others? I'm not super interested in PvP right now and I just wanna slay enemies and get gold so would a DK work well for that?

All the classes are functional, some better at certain things than others... DK is a good AoE character. Most seem to be with a few exceptions (maehwa, Valk, Ninja/Kunoichi). Mostly I think it comes down to gear, not so much class/player skills, but outside of those few classes that are more single target, for AoE farming I wouldn't worry too much.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

tamer is prime pve because they can 16 pull, have insane clear speeds once you gear up, and are also real strong in 1v1 pvp which is the kind of pvp you'll most likely be doing if you don't feel like moving and want to contest a rotation.

e: that is, beyond witch/wizard, dk being top tier all around because of being overtuned

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Just failed my 30th worker promotion in a row. This is fun.
Rapidly burning out on the game. Every time i play its just a treadmill of go to the bank and get beer (because having enough of it in inventory will mean i can barely have anything else there), restore worker stamina, assign workers to a job again, do daily quests for desperately needed CP (and getting about 1 CP per day), and whoops play time over.

Also tired of being treated like some sort of gambling addict. All the dice rolls/roulettes are so unnecessary and are just blatant attempts to capitalize on (some) peoples gambling addiction.
Do the Black spirit Adventure, literal dice throw. Land on useless buffs for the most part, but occasionally on another roulette which spins for a needlessly long time. Get some useless item from said roulette like a whale tendon potion.
Or land on a chest slot which is most likely a special meal, which gives you another roulette. Do we really need a roulette for a chest with 4 loving items in it?
Not to mention the events, like the current Kamasylve Tree event. Every single roulette shows off all those fancy items like boss gear and what not and every single roulette aaaaaaaalmost stops at a boss gear slot before at the last milisecond jumping to (yet another) black stone or elixir.

Gambling does nothing for me, im not going to go "just one more time" to get the big payout or beat the bank. If the roulettes weren't so obviously rigged, say showing 90 slots of black stones if they have 90% drop rate, it wouldn't be so bad. As it is now it looks like every item has an equal chance to appear in the roulette. Im not expecting boss items every second roll or anything, i'd just like them to not treat us like mindless idiots. I guess it is a strategy their marketing department have found working...

Im going to take a break from worker empiring and just PVE a bit. The PVE is fun, it is quite satisfying to blow up a bunch of enemies at once. I am glad i have no aspirations to be "competitive" in this game, that must be a soul crushing experience.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 21, 2017

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ineptitude posted:

Gambling does nothing for me, im not going to go "just one more time" to get the big payout or beat the bank.

The problem with microtransaction videogames is that devs have figured out that it's better to just not even bother marketing to anyone who isn't going to spend a million trillion dollars on their game, and the best way to rope people into spending lots of money on games is gambling. Even if you and 98% of the playerbase never touch the gambling systems, if they manage to snag the 2% of whaling gamblers its a major payoff for them. It's why pretty much every single phone game has a loot crate mechanic or a gacha of some kind

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

YOTC posted:

Cadre is a place where you go in Valencia to undo several hours of grinding before you find a new place to farm.

(the ranged mobs are numerous and they hurt)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I've been gone for 3 months and I read that Valkyrie went from being a punching bag to one of the strongest PVP classes in the game. WTF happened?

J
Jun 10, 2001

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

DK is overtuned right now and supposedly (I can't find the quote), the devs have said they are looking to bring other classes up to DK's level rather than nerf them. So yeah, if DK looks interesting to you, jump right in. They are good at every aspect of the game.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I've been gone for 3 months and I read that Valkyrie went from being a punching bag to one of the strongest PVP classes in the game. WTF happened?

A patch or two ago they made it so valks can use their grab with their awakened weapon out instead of having to swap. People poo poo their pants over this. I don't know anything about valks, here and there in patch notes they've changed some other abilities but people never really seemed to say much about that. But the grab change they went nuts over.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Grabs are a wonderful thing. Mostly just for PVP though.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Patch notes are up.

Another blackstone/fragment/relic event is live. Also they doubled the karma loss for PKing someone, if you want a hilarious dose of blackdesertplayers.txt just check the forums right now. People are making GBS threads their pants and saying the game is dead now :lol:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

J posted:

Patch notes are up.

Another blackstone/fragment/relic event is live. Also they doubled the karma loss for PKing someone, if you want a hilarious dose of blackdesertplayers.txt just check the forums right now. People are making GBS threads their pants and saying the game is dead now :lol:

Those people scream bloody murder every time karma comes up as a penalty mechanism.

It's pretty great.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its me, Im the guildless terror that will invade your grind spots and cause you to suffer grief endlessly as your karma goes hyper negative.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

They're griefing me by making me kill them over and over :smith:

Anything that upsets these people is probably more entertaining than killing Sausans will ever be.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

I never picked up the rewards for hitting Artisan Processor. I was thinking of accepting the reward on a character that is not my processer, to get a bunch of processing levels on it instead of accepting it on my processer and getting like 1% towards the next level.
One of the rewards is "Knowledge of Shaking: Skilled", is this an account wide thing? I assume so since it is a knowledge but feel it safer to ask to be sure.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Ineptitude posted:

I never picked up the rewards for hitting Artisan Processor. I was thinking of accepting the reward on a character that is not my processer, to get a bunch of processing levels on it instead of accepting it on my processer and getting like 1% towards the next level.
One of the rewards is "Knowledge of Shaking: Skilled", is this an account wide thing? I assume so since it is a knowledge but feel it safer to ask to be sure.

yep: http://bddatabase.net/us/theme/6561/

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I love how little having negative karma actually affects you, ganking strangers is the bdo end game

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm glad to see the small but vocal "my spot" part of the BDO community is taking the slight changes to PVP karma so well.

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?threads/megathread-karma-changes.17281/

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?threads/my-spot-my-mobs-is-it-now.17670/

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/6irc5c/na_the_be_red_or_be_dead_initiative_removed_three/

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?threads/today-is-the-day-i-draw-the-line.17580/
^ This guy is so upset he's not going to spend one cent more. He's already spent 4800 Euros

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?threads/no-more-money-for-pa.17805/

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?threads/the-end-of-bdo-eu-na.17749/

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?threads/are-kakao-deveopers-really-idiots.17638/

Just wait until we catch up to Korea and each gank costs 200k negative karma. :haw:

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

It slays me that these people think someone turning up and killing mobs is griefing. How precious.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Why are you entitled to an area that I can clear 4x faster than you by myself? Inb4 "you're not entitled to it either" you're right, which is why I'm smoking the dogshit out of people who come into my rotation. That's the antithesis of entitlement. I am working for and defending my spot. You walking in and expecting to get poo poo is entitlement. The only entitlement is that of karma bombers.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
My video game spot :byodood:

*urinates on rock*

Now it's marked so everyone knows it's mine.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
People are going to bitch either way because nobody likes change. I don't understand the issue, if you don't want to karma hit then share the dumb spot and kill the mobs faster til the other person leaves. Complaining about karma bombing is dumb when it's you that makes the decision to kill the other guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Drythe posted:

Why are you entitled to an area that I can clear 4x faster than you by myself? Inb4 "you're not entitled to it either" you're right, which is why I'm smoking the dogshit out of people who come into my rotation. That's the antithesis of entitlement. I am working for and defending my spot. You walking in and expecting to get poo poo is entitlement. The only entitlement is that of karma bombers.

source your quotes