Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
http://massivelyop.com/2017/06/20/e3-2017-final-fantasy-xivs-naoki-yoshida-on-stormblood-design-and-themeparks/
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/06/20/final-fantasy-xiv-team-picks-new-jobs-creates-minions/

Some things to read during maintenance.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

nuru posted:

You left out the gross mutually exclusive nature of Aetherflow and Aethertrail now. You can't use Aetherflow during Dreadwyrm Trance anymore, and if you use Aetherflow while you have any Aethertrail stacks you lose as many AF stacks as you have AT.

It feels pretty bad. I'd rather have the ability to drop AT stacks that we had before than this hamstrung system that feels like it only exists because they wanted to add a shiny UI element.

Actually, it made SMN easy to play to the point that even I can manage. I could never get my head around to how smn plays before, now it's super easy, and aethertrails finally don't go away if you gently caress up even slightly for the ~optimal rotation~

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Good news, you can gently caress up slightly and end up with even more of a penalty now if you ever manage to waste a charge.

Summoner was not hard before.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

quote:

Yoshida bluntly told me that the original game “was crap” and players had every right to be angry.

However, going forward with Stormblood or any other update, he also understands that when changes are made that players don’t like, “it’s only natural” for them to be angry. In fact, he says, “You should get mad.”

YoshiP is cool and good :cool:

quote:

Hmm… no matter what we tell you it could potentially be a spoiler. For those players who enjoyed Final Fantasy Tactics or Final Fantasy XII, I think those players will enjoy this content. The gear you obtain from completing the content should be enjoyable to those fans of the Ivalice Alliance.

This is cool. I was worried we'd get something from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance :cheeky:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Red Card
Eject a player from your instance.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I want Marche's pizza cutter

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I would absolutely wear a judge-themed tank glamour set.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Is it too much to hope for Ramza and Agrias outfits?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

orcane posted:

Good news, you can gently caress up slightly and end up with even more of a penalty now if you ever manage to waste a charge.

Summoner was not hard before.

Hard? No. Annoying? Very yes.

Also gently caress up how? The only thing that can miss is bane, and missing a bane still only puts you back 60 seconds, instead of 120 like before.

That and I haven't missed a bane for over 2 years.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Am I understanding correctly that Riddle of Earth only refreshes Greased Lightning if you take damage? IDK how I'm supposed to take advantage of that ever.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

homeless snail posted:

Am I understanding correctly that Riddle of Earth only refreshes Greased Lightning if you take damage? IDK how I'm supposed to take advantage of that ever.
Yep; the Greased Lightning refresh is basically for situations where guaranteed damage comes out while the boss is unhittable. I.e., boss limit breaks and other giant attacks.

The problem I have with that is, you usually shouldn't need damage mitigation during those sections, since everyone is generally taking the same damage and getting healed a bunch anyway. It could certainly help if it's a stack and share damage situation though.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Martman posted:

Yep; the Greased Lightning refresh is basically for situations where guaranteed damage comes out while the boss is unhittable. I.e., boss limit breaks and other giant attacks.

The problem I have with that is, you usually shouldn't need damage mitigation during those sections, since everyone is generally taking the same damage and getting healed a bunch anyway. It could certainly help if it's a stack and share damage situation though.

Yeah, it's another skill to offset monks weakness to downtime, like form shift. Added bonus is the damage reduction, but when you know you're gonna watch the boss do a roomwide aoe there is less chance of dropping gl stacks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
19MB Patch!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If a boss jumps to do a big raid wide though, doesn't that tend to predominantly hit at either the beginning or end of the invulnerability? Doesn't seem like its actually buying you much time on GL unless SB bosses get a lot splashier 65+

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

homeless snail posted:

If a boss jumps to do a big raid wide though, doesn't that tend to predominantly hit at either the beginning or end of the invulnerability? Doesn't seem like its actually buying you much time on GL unless SB bosses get a lot splashier 65+
You're probably right that there will be plenty of situations where it only gives you a few extra seconds or whatever, but there will also be times where that was all you needed.

I'm not denying it's weird; it seems like they're just hesitant to give us a big "refresh my GL" cooldown for whatever reason, and it ends up being put into this kind of odd mechanic that's dependent on boss damage that wasn't initially designed to have any impact on GL.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
A DDoS, huh? Called it (kinda).

isk posted:

Only so much that can be tested and modeled. Nothing beats a live environment, especially with millions of concurrent users. While their structure should support scalable/cloud server capacity, even that can be vulnerable to DDoSes. Either way, "testing" only gets so far.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Zaphod42 posted:

This is cool. I was worried we'd get something from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance :cheeky:

Speculation remains fairly strong that "Ivalice" is going to be revealed as one of the Shards of Hydaelyn. It'd wrap up a number of dangling questions, and given how much of a fan Matsuno is of XIV, he'd totally be on board.

Spoilers aside, I love that XIV is what brought Matsuno more or less back into the SE fold. Him leaving was a drat shame and I hope after Return to Ivalice he's able to land some more SE projects if he wants 'em (though at this point he's also a bit on the older side).

Zaphod42 posted:

19MB Patch!

And the notes:

quote:

◆Final Fantasy XIV Hotfixes (Jun. 21, 2017)◆

■The following adjustment have been made.
・The Louisoix World is now available as a selectable World.

■The following countermeasure was implemented.
・A countermeasure to prevent the system in charge of managing transfers from and to instances, from acting abnormally has been implemented.

■The following issues have been addressed.
・An issue with the main scenario quest “The Lord of the Revel” wherein if a player entered the duty while performing an emote, a client error would occasionally display upon the completion of the duty and then prevented the player from logging back in.
* With this hotfix, we will be reverting back to the previous system where players were not be able to maintain their emote after leaving a duty. We will switch back to the current system at a late date once we are able to address the issue.
・An issue with “Shisui of the Violet Tides” wherein a certain status ailment would not occasionally disappear upon defeating the boss.
・An issue with the main scenario quest “Once More, to the Ruby Sea” wherein certain events such as server outages would prevent players from progressing with the quest.
・An issue with the main scenario quest “To Bend with the Wind” wherein if a player is attacked while viewing the cutscene, the cutscene would be canceled.
・An issue with the FATE “Keeping More Peace” in The Fringes wherein monsters would continuously spawn and prevent players from progressing with the FATE.
・An issue wherein the following actions could not be used via text commands when playing as a weaver, goldsmith, or leatherworker:
Hasty Touch II / Careful Synthesis III / Rapid Synthesis II / Prudent Touch / Focused Synthesis / Focused Touch / Initial Preparations / Specialty: Reinforce / Specialty: Refurbish / Specialty: Reflect
・An issue wherein the action Impulsive Appraisal II could not be used via text command when playing as a botanist.
・An issue with “Emanation” wherein the server would crash under certain conditions.
・An issue with the dark knight job quest “The Orphans and the Broken Blade” wherein the server would crash under certain conditions.
・An issue wherein emotes performed by nearby characters would occasionally cause a player’s game client to crash.
・An issue with the quest “Fathoms Below” wherein an NPC’s dialogue would appear in Japanese.
・An issue wherein the description for the samurai action “Hissatsu: Yaten” would be incorrect.

Looks like there are some attempts at mitigating the biggest problems in here. I was also totally wondering if the Japanese in Fathoms Below was intended or not.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

homeless snail posted:

Yeah, a lot of jumps just take way too long on one side of the hit. I think more commonly you'd use it for when you get targeted by some mechanic that makes you lose uptime.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
By the by, has anyone who ordered the digital version from the SE Online Store gotten their retail key yet? I'm beginning to get antsy.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

VHGS posted:

Yeah, a lot of jumps just take way too long on one side of the hit. I think more commonly you'd use it for when you get targeted by some mechanic that makes you lose uptime.
Yeah you're right. "Unhittable" is maybe too broad, but mostly I meant damage is coming out and you can't hit the boss.

EDIT:

SpaceDrake posted:

By the by, has anyone who ordered the digital version from the SE Online Store gotten their retail key yet? I'm beginning to get antsy.
I got mine, and I heard of a fair number of others getting theirs.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

The samurai starting gear doesn't look too bad.

vOv posted:

I haven't tried gposing abilities but if you or anyone in your party does an emote before you /gpose then it'll repeat on loop.
It would be pretty neat if you could capture the boss in the picture.

EDIT:

SpaceDrake posted:

Got mine yesterday.

fakemirage fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 21, 2017

isk
Oct 3, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

Got mine at, like, 10 AM US Central yesterday.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

I found my code in access details, replacing the pre-order code. Check your order on the site.

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"
What's the orchestration called for Cyan's theme and where do I get it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Game up, go play game.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

fakemirage posted:

The samurai starting gear doesn't look too bad.
It would be pretty neat if you could capture the boss in the picture.

The SAM starting gear is pretty ace. I do wish it was dyeable but I suppose that would make it *too* good.

How does one access the "controls" for /gpose by the way? I see it referenced in the description for /gpose but no reference anywhere as to how to actually bring it up.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

Hard? No. Annoying? Very yes.

Also gently caress up how? The only thing that can miss is bane, and missing a bane still only puts you back 60 seconds, instead of 120 like before.

That and I haven't missed a bane for over 2 years.

You were not losing 2 minutes before unless you lost the stacks entirely. You could gently caress up a fester or bane, the next aetherflow refreshed AF stacks to 3 of which you needed one for DWT and two to build for the next DWT. You wasted 1/6 AF stacks.

Now if you lose one AT stack, you can only use the next aetherflow to get back the third. You're not getting the other two. You start building AT stacks again with the third aetherflow. You're not spending 3/6 AF stacks on fester etc. Someone who REALLY fucks up can even put AF on cooldown without gaining a single stack if DWT is still up. That's a full minute delay for the next DWT and Bahamut-egi. So overall it got much worse for bad and average players, and all you can do in the meantime is cast Ruin.

Obviously that doesn't happen to perfect players :smuggo:

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 21, 2017

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Really curious who is pathetic enough to DDoS XIV. Geez.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

edit: deleted

Shy fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 21, 2017

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

Conot posted:

How does one access the "controls" for /gpose by the way? I see it referenced in the description for /gpose but no reference anywhere as to how to actually bring it up.
The controls dialog can be toggled by pressing whatever key you've bound your auto-run to. I use the middle mouse button, but I know others access it through the R and numlock keys.

Remember to hide the controls before taking the screenshot, or they'll become a part of it.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

fakemirage posted:

The controls dialog can be toggled by pressing whatever key you've bound your auto-run to. I use the middle mouse button, but I know others access it through the R and numlock keys.

Remember to hide the controls before taking the screenshot, or they'll become a part of it.

Thanks! Will have to give it a shot later

Had my first competition for SAM gear with a Monk yesterday. I'm glad they're rare enough that I don't have to worry about it most of the time.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Conot posted:

Thanks! Will have to give it a shot later

Had my first competition for SAM gear with a Monk yesterday. I'm glad they're rare enough that I don't have to worry about it most of the time.

So far my biggest competition has been other Samurai. I haven't seen a single Monk yet and I've run the first 4 dungeons 2-3 times each.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Freaksaus posted:

So far my biggest competition has been other Samurai. I haven't seen a single Monk yet and I've run the first 4 dungeons 2-3 times each.

I was leveling up monk to use as my expansion job but all the kneejerking turned me off of it. The fact that I would be competing with a ton of samurais for equipment was even less appealing.

POTD is starting to grate on me hard. I really want to get this done with so I can start going through the MSQ. I should just take my AST or DRK through the content instead, but leveling them would be way easier with the armory and instant dungeon queues.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 21, 2017

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Yikes, I'm glad I decided to wait and see if the base game goes on Steam Sale tomorrow, now that I read about that DDOS. I would have been really frustrated yesterday :v:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If you have any podcasts or audiobooks you've been wanting to catch up on, potd grinding is a great time to do it, it really takes the edge off.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Yeah, if you've got Netflix just go watch the new season of MST3K while you're pushing through.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Final story dungeon and trial own bones. So many mechanics in the final trial -

1) Tidal Wave - move towards the wave (find it) / away from pools in back (knockback) - get right on the edge, not much tolerance
2) Purple marks - get away
3) Alternating columns
4) Earth Breath - big cones, someone will be marked
5) Hellfire - get in pools
6) Pulse beacons - run away
7) Kill adds - long columns - keep folks topped off during add phase - interrupt Death Sentence on the big adds
8) For the ATE, move your cursor towards the center of the screen, then tap the button rapidly, huge column afterwards
9) Dodge the square tail attack, then kill it - avoid standing on cracked platforms after it's hit by a tail - leave the corners if possible to dodge AoE later
10) Aerial blast - get to center, repeat knockbacks + damage
11) Diamond Dust - stay still, don't move when the ground is ice
12) Akh Morn - tanks stack (?) or just use cooldowns?
13) Stack up for the orange/yellow arrow circle - must do this, heavy damage
14) Break chains (marked)
15) Earthen Fury - two players marked, should run to the edges and point the big cones away from the group
16) Icicles from the edge will push a bit, be mindful of edges

Left off a few others, old & simple stuff (move away from the marked people, etc.).

Ainsley McTree posted:

If you have any podcasts or audiobooks you've been wanting to catch up on, potd grinding is a great time to do it, it really takes the edge off.

Tensokuu posted:

Yeah, if you've got Netflix just go watch the new season of MST3K while you're pushing through.

Did these as well, can confirm it helped a lot with getting SAM to 60. Got thru the new (to Netflix) season of Parts Unknown.

isk fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 21, 2017

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

SpaceDrake posted:

Square literally shipped my CE copy yesterday. It's going to Canada.

So yeah, I'm gonna lose Stormblood access for a while until it gets here. GJ on shipping early so I get it for release!

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

isk posted:

Final story dungeon and trial own bones. So many mechanics in the final trial -

8) For the ATE, move your cursor towards the center of the screen, then tap the button rapidly, huge column afterwards

Left off a few others, old & simple stuff (move away from the marked people, etc.).

Did these as well, can confirm it helped a lot with getting SAM to 60. Got thru the new (to Netflix) season of Parts Unknown.

Final Trial Mechanic Spoiler
On #8 you don't need to move your mouse and tap the button. Any input works, so you can just bang away at your keyboard and be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Overall liked Stormblood 4.0 a lot. Various thoughts -

* Hits a lot of the same notes as Heavensward 3.0, resolves most plotlines and leaves a few others open. Great characters written pretty well, with some surprise yet appropriate appearances. Follows the guideline of making the audience care about the cast, and then puts the cast in dangerous situations. Don't recall any quests that were as frustrating as the 3.0 Churning Mists find-the-moogle ones, but I do have a few more to do. Speaking of -

* I -think- there are significantly more sidequests in SB. I did most of them until the late 60s, and I only did FATEs and dungeons casually, yet I only had to double back and do a handful of sidequests to meet a level requirement right at 69/70. I also like how long sidequest chains usually (always?) give an aether current at the start, giving you the option to do other stuff and come back later.

* Dungeons are great! Relatively challenging but not overly so, none that feel as brutal as The Vault with pubbies. Loot all the time - while the final story dungeon lacks the guaranteed personal drop at the end, two guaranteed grade V materia per person is an inspired design choice. The trials aren't playing around either but the mechanics seem a bit more upfront and transparent than HW's early ones. Lakshmi is really good but Susano is THE RULES OF NATURE

* Music owns, both day and night themes. Soken's a god and Uematsu did well with the main theme. The melody hosed me up pretty much every time it played. Also, (Azim Steppe) the Doma theme kicking in as you meet Hien at a cliffside (somewhat like Cyan in the World of Ruin) is a wonderful moment.

* The zones are pretty and diverse with a massive sense of scale. The tower in the Ruby Sea, the walls of Yanxia, etc. Underwater gives a preview of flight speed, and I like the increase to ground mount speed (though I'd argue it could be given a bit earlier in each zone). The Lochs upfront aren't quite as visually interesting as Azys Lla, but that's made up by what's under the surface, the architecture of the palace, and also the fact that it's Ala loving Mhigo. Overall you can see the benefit from PS3 deprecation - zones are big and instances have far fewer load screens.

* Stated this before, but SAM is a well designed class that plays fluidly. For the most part, new abilities are introduced at a reasonable pace, and it wasn't until Guren that I felt even a bit taxed (but that was also b/c I was dealing with new dungeons/trials).

* FATEs are okay. A bit better with the random bonuses, and the 30 min boss / Orchestrion roll in each zone (I think) is neat.

* Love the QoL changes. Only had to clean out my bags once on the way to 70. Being able to change jobs anywhere with no cooldown penalty is the best.

Only snag for me has been the server issues, but relieved to see it was due to a DDoS (both b/c it was due to external causes, and b/c I've experienced the same at my job. Solidarity!). Even with those, then getting mostly to 61 w/DRG followed by a switch to SAM and lots of PotD runs, I was able to get within a shade of 70 during early access without poopsocking. Lots of stretches where the servers were solid.

This expansion should be real good moving forward. Only real doubt I have is if Savage raids are initially overturned again, but the team's generally shown an ability to learn from past mistakes.

Maguoob posted:

Final Trial Mechanic Spoiler
On #8 you don't need to move your mouse and tap the button. Any input works, so you can just bang away at your keyboard and be fine.

Thanks! Great tip, will add to my macros.