Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is there gonna be a True Detective season 3? I watched the first ep of the second season and had no interest in continuing whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Seems up in the air at the moment. HBO representatives have hemmed and hawed to the press in a very noncommittal way about how they'd love to bring it back, every time with a clear subtext of "But we aren't keen on giving Pizzolatto free reign as writer and producer again." Pizzolatto, meanwhile, recently revealed that he's got two scripts ready for a potential third season - scripts that David Milch had a hand in writing. He would be a part of the show's creative team going forward.

I thought season 2 was fine for what it was: a pulpy, kinda trashy crime drama. Certainly not as good as season 1 (Too many protagonists, which in turn produced an unfocused narrative,) but entertaining enough.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

This is heresy but I haven't seen Season One of TD. I enjoyed Season Two, though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

This is heresy but I haven't seen Season One of TD. I enjoyed Season Two, though.

Holy poo poo, you are then in for one amazing season of tv then. :toot:

Seriously, check that poo poo out ASAP, great stuff. If you actually liked Season 2 :stare:

It's really akin to saying 'Man, Batman and Robin was SO good! It was the fourth one? I should probably watch the first one then."

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

I hadn't even considered that this could be a thing people do. That's sort of based on the idea that most people dragged themselves to their couches to watch S2 because S1 was so good and ended up being incredibly dissapointed.

My point is that you're very lucky. Season 1 of True Detective is truly special and I'm envious that you get to enjoy it fresh from the jump.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I'll be on my forth rewatch of TD s1 this year. Feels good. very excited.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I'll be on my forth rewatch of TD s1 this year. Feels good. very excited.

Look at this guy with his MA in spelling. :rolleyes:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

FrensaGeran posted:

Look at this guy with his MA in spelling. :rolleyes:

heh, u mad? Bet you don't even have a bacchelors in it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Did they ever explain what the marks on Tommy's back were from during Season 1?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I assumed he was one of the college kids that jumped

I think I read in the books he watched a couple jump, but those scars.

Anyway, it was never referenced again outside the pilot

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Also I found Season 2 of TD to be adequate, but it had the potential to be great

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Was there any significance to that issue of National Geographic, in the end?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Professor Shark posted:

I could be wrong but I think it was a link to the fact that Kevin and Patti were going to end up in Cairo, New York.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Professor Shark posted:

In the end Kevin Sr's voices and all that really did lead him to helping Kevin Jr from the hotel in Perth, he just forgot after coming down from God's Tongue.

Niwrad posted:

Did they ever explain what the marks on Tommy's back were from during Season 1?

I assumed Holy Wayne was abusing him.

LIKEINEEDTHIS
Oct 3, 2012

by Smythe
Nora was on the phone with a couple of DID guys earlier this season and after she was done asking for more leeway in pursuing the departure scam in Australia, one of them says to the other "well looks like she's going". I always thought there was some significance to that which wasn't made immediately apparent. But instead nora retired to raise birds and we never heard from them again. Did i read that scene wrong? I'm not in a position to rewatch so I can't say for sure.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

LIKEINEEDTHIS posted:

Nora was on the phone with a couple of DID guys earlier this season and after she was done asking for more leeway in pursuing the departure scam in Australia, one of them says to the other "well looks like she's going". I always thought there was some significance to that which wasn't made immediately apparent. But instead nora retired to raise birds and we never heard from them again. Did i read that scene wrong? I'm not in a position to rewatch so I can't say for sure.

I dunno if you're wrong or not but that scene, and line in particular, did stick out to me.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Man, Carrie Coon really deserves so much recognition for Nora. Most of the time we got to see hardened, angry Nora who lost everything in The Departure, which works and is great, but when she smiles...god, that smile, you see the gentle, kind, vulnerable person and it's just fantastic.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Why did Assassin Kevin shoot Vice President Meg in the second-to-last episode?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Onomarchus posted:

Why did Assassin Kevin shoot Vice President Meg in the second-to-last episode?

To show that he was trying to take control of the scenario around him instead of just going along with what he was told.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I don't think the real hero of this show has gotten his due

P.Lyon, the man who saved the world from Cthulu and averted the apocalypse

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
I watched the pilot for the first time the night the series finale aired, and now I'm here. I thought it was all very good. I read the entire thread and whoever said Liv Tyler is a bad actress is out of their fuckin' mind. I got a little impatient in the final season when it got closer to the end and it seemed there wasn't enough room left for the show to wrap up. Lindelof proposed Tommy/Jill and John Murphy focus episodes in one of the interviews, and I wish we could have seen them. Again, all nitpicking, great show.

try the new taco place fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 15, 2017

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I am the one who called Liv Tyler a bad actress but I've rewatched the series twice since then and have revaluated everything I thought about the first season

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Professor Shark posted:

I am the one who called Liv Tyler a bad actress but I've rewatched the series twice since then and have revaluated everything I thought about the first season

The first season is amazing.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Liv Tyler is a perfectly fine actress but she is on the same show as Carrie Coon and Ann Dowd who are on another level.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I rewatched the end of the series again, and I have to say, The Most Powerful Man In The World (And His Twin Brother) is basically a perfect finale. If the show ended there I would have been very happy. I liked that it wasn't the finale, though. A lot of the show revolves around moving on, or not moving on. Coming back to Nora, who thinks she's moved on, and Kevin, who knows he hasn't, and closing out their story on a hopeful note was perfect. The show kept the mystery of the Departure intact while giving a plausible and satisfying answer at the same time, and it did the same for Kevin and Nora. I really appreciated how well put together it all was.

Niwrad posted:

Liv Tyler is a perfectly fine actress but she is on the same show as Carrie Coon and Ann Dowd who are on another level.

I think she got better when she stopped trying to understand Meg as a character and just did the scenes as written (as per some interview somewhere). Meg is such a hosed up human being that I don't think she knew why she was doing what she was doing most of the time, and I think that once Tyler embraced that it worked a lot better.

E: I can also understand why people would be so certain Laurie killed herself, but really, when I first saw the episode I wasn't sure she did. The intro has her making an attempt and backing out at the last second because of a conversation right before. Once she picked up the phone and talked to her kids I didn't think she was going to go through with it.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 15, 2017

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006
Just binged watched Seasons 2/3 in three days and :love: :cry:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My fan theory for Jill is that she unexpectedly encounters one of the twins from the first season at university and they get married, similar to the ending of the book

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Finally finished it all. Favorite moment this season was Matts line (and the scene itself) when God tried to run from the cops and is eaten by the lion: "that's the guy I was telling you about!" :lol:

Thought Kevin's death sequence was way better last season but still extremely interesting.

Also saw some comments on a weak episode with Sr. and agree completely.

Also am so glad we are told about the other side. The hostile Russian doctor didn't make sense or add to the transport tech scenes to me, kinda odd. Overall glad I stuck with the series until the end. Not amazing all the time but amazing at times.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

Seems up in the air at the moment. HBO representatives have hemmed and hawed to the press in a very noncommittal way about how they'd love to bring it back, every time with a clear subtext of "But we aren't keen on giving Pizzolatto free reign as writer and producer again." Pizzolatto, meanwhile, recently revealed that he's got two scripts ready for a potential third season - scripts that David Milch had a hand in writing. He would be a part of the show's creative team going forward.

I thought season 2 was fine for what it was: a pulpy, kinda trashy crime drama. Certainly not as good as season 1 (Too many protagonists, which in turn produced an unfocused narrative,) but entertaining enough.

Hey I know this derail is from a while back but I got around to watching John from Cincinnati the other day and couldn't believe it was greenlit, let alone given a whole season. Deadwood was amazing, but JfC had dialogue like that which no human has ever spoken, it was like aliens imitating an HBO show. That doesn't make me feel so confident about Season 3

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Leftovers novel came in at the library, I'm looking forward to reading it! Having just read the prologue as an appetizer while I finish another novel, the actress and writers really seemed to capture Laurie's tone pre-GR

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

The Leftovers novel came in at the library, I'm looking forward to reading it! Having just read the prologue as an appetizer while I finish another novel, the actress and writers really seemed to capture Laurie's tone pre-GR

I found the hardcover, new. for only a dollar the other day and also just started it. So far I'm put off by how prosaic the writing is, though, and how little it shows instead of telling. Based on the show I expected a style more like Don Delillo. Interesting to see the differences from the pilot, though.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I liked the novel (And the straightforward nature of Perrotta's writing,) but thinking back on I believe you're right in that a lot of the "plot" happens in recollections. Lots of little character sketches, showing how they are operating in the moment, rather than active protagonists advancing their own stories.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Every interview I've read with Perrotta makes it seem like he didn't like the ending very much and really wants people to lean towards the Lying option

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty fun that the two creators both so clearly believe opposite things about the ending. For me personally it makes its ambiguous nature even more effective and satisfying.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

It's pretty fun that the two creators both so clearly believe opposite things about the ending. For me personally it makes its ambiguous nature even more effective and satisfying.

Our very own Locke and Jack.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Lindelof's post-Leftovers project will be adapting the graphic novel Watchmen (previously adapted as a movie by Zack Snyder) as a TV series for HBO.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Klungar posted:

Lindelof's post-Leftovers project will be adapting the graphic novel Watchmen (previously adapted as a movie by Zack Snyder) as a TV series for HBO.

I want to be excited about this because I love Lindelof and like Watchmen but the movie was so good I feel like we don't actually need this.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The movie was good but I wouldn't mind a miniseries that gives the story more time like it deserves. Of course I do think Watchmen shouldn't really be hosed with ever as it's basically objectively impossible to top the original but I'll watch whatever Lindelof gets up to.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Lindelof has a lifetime blank check with me. I will watch whatever he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Lindelof has a lifetime blank check with me. I will watch whatever he does.
Same, but I'm cautiously optimistic here because aside from some of the casting choices I'm very happy with the movie as it is. So if they're going to do this then I'm curious as to what route they would take with it.

• Locked thread