Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
you can't nail down trump's position and his momentum at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You can't win elections by running against a candidate. Of course Ossoff lost. I don't know how much clearer this has to be.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
2018 when dems pick up three seats in the house and lose five in the senate will be the victory we're waiting for

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Turns out I know this guy!

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

You can't win elections by running against a candidate. Of course Ossoff lost. I don't know how much clearer this has to be.

I don't remember him mentioning Trump once in all of the ads I saw.

I think he was more running as Republican-lite without explicitly stating positions except generic bullshit like "eliminating waste"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

pyrotek posted:

I don't remember him mentioning Trump once in all of the ads I saw.

I think he was more running as Republican-lite without explicitly stating positions except generic bullshit like "eliminating waste"
This didn't help, but I don't think it's even his fault. The national party turned it into a referendum on Trump, and that is never, ever going to win a congressional seat.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i think that in the end, people don't like being wrong, and there will be tons of people who support trump to the very end because of that. way more than people who choose to die on the democrat hill

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
trump is inspiring

also he makes liberals sooooo maaaad :drac:

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
i prefer it when communists make liberals mad

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't understand why everyone's going all day crew over a race that was never going to swing Dem

The GOP spent horrendous amounts of money and sank to new lows in advertising to hang on to a seat Handel should have waltzed into. Once the Senate is done completely loving up health care more Americans might give a poo poo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

We need to see through all the so-called "substance" of elections to their shallow, stupid heart.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Baloogan posted:

trump is inspiring

Yep, and that the main motivation beyond conservative politics for awhile now

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
liberals are bad and the problem with conservatism is not that it's anti-liberal but that it can't actually hurt them

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

brugroffil posted:

Yep, and that the main motivation beyond conservative politics for awhile now

hey you guys get your licks in by executing millions of babies :shrug:

that also gets people pretty mad

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
omg nobody is executing babies

that would imply they were convicted of a crime

this is simply murder

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
most of those babies deserved to die

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Trip report from northern Kansas and southern Nebraska:

- One town has so little money for infrastructure that the pavement has worn away from most of their streets, revealing the old cobblestone roads beneath. Instead of raising money and fixing them, they renamed their annual carnival "Cobblestone Fest."

- Corporate farming has bought up a huge amount of farmland and put windmills on them to cut energy costs. The locals have put up spray painted pressboard signs saying "windmills are ruining our view." Meanwhile their lawns are all full of old rusted junk.

- You still can't buy beer in Kansas on Sunday because Jesus said so, and the beer you can buy the other six days off the week is required by law to have less than 3.2% alcohol.

- It costs my in-laws $600 a year for tags for their car, and it costs $525 to enroll your kid in public school, and they're fine with that as long as taxes stay low.

- My in-laws are about to either lose their health insurance or not be able to afford premiums if the GOP plan passes. When my dad found them a plan that would save them $1000+ a month, they ignored him.

- According to whatever fountain of bullshit they get their information from, either my mother in law can't work or they will lose my father in law's social security. Even if that were true and they divorced and kept separate finances, Kansas would still consider them common law in six months time.

- Their kitchen is covered in "God Bless America" signage.

I went to my cousin's wedding in Kansas's version of Silent Hill in 2012 like a week after the election. I saw my aunt and uncle for the first time in over a decade and within minutes my uncle was telling me how he "had no problem with the black man but he needed to know his place"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

The GOP spent horrendous amounts of money and sank to new lows in advertising to hang on to a seat Handel should have waltzed into. Once the Senate is done completely loving up health care more Americans might give a poo poo.

They still won

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

This didn't help, but I don't think it's even his fault. The national party turned it into a referendum on Trump, and that is never, ever going to win a congressional seat.

You're looking nationally, I'm looking locally. Of course, he was never going to win that seat either way.

In 2014 I went to an organizational meeting for Michelle Nunn when she was running against David Perdue. People asked about specific positions a few times and the response was always that she wouldn't be revealing her positions on issues until closer to the election because they didn't want their opponent to use them against her.

It was a singularly uninspiring meeting. I went in looking to volunteer and left knowing not to waste my time. If your policy is so bad that you don't want to reveal it, you are never going to win a race.

Ossoff reminded me of that quite a bit.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Baloogan posted:

hey you guys get your licks in by executing millions of babies :shrug:

that also gets people pretty mad
I think abortifacients should cause fetal tissue to be ejected from the body like a t-shirt from a cannon, and I think we should make it into a national sport.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Baloogan posted:

trump is inspiring

He really is to the people he wants to inspire. It is his greatest strength

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

pyrotek posted:

You're looking nationally, I'm looking locally. Of course, he was never going to win that seat either way.
And it's a legit perspective, but the party turned it in to a national election.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Call it "executing" a baby, and liberals are all "waaahhhh, we don't do that!" But call it "Mexicuting" a baby, and liberals are like "YASS KWEEN, SLAY INNOCENT BABIES!" Hypocrisy!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/877474368661618688

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

merrick garland

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm glad he still hasn't learned.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Vertical Lime posted:

merrick garland

the first of the three supremes trump nominates? yeah.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Vertical Lime posted:

merrick garland

tea party

really republican party as a whole

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

He's right. The Republicans will always get their way. Obstruction doesn't work when Democrats do it.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

They still won

No one realistically expected otherwise

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

pyrotek posted:

tea party

really republican party as a whole

everything basically

democrats should oppose everything universally

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Obstruction doesn't work!

*The Gang Obstructs Justice*

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

not that i cared that much about georgia but outlaw state polls

they have no money and it shows

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Baloogan posted:

you can't nail down trump's position and his momentum at the same time

this is pretty clever

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
how do you 'come together' when you have diametrically opposed values?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Origami Dali posted:

democrats are from venus, republicans from mars

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
trump is from jupiter

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

The Obama technique: give in almost completely.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
look trump goobly goop blah blah gop beep boop dems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
here's a challenge: create an edgy, winning campaign slogan for the dems that doesn't end up being an incredible self-own. i couldn't do it.

• Locked thread