Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Any good or goon-certified maps that have some sort of "Japanese summer" feel to them? Think Seto Inland Sea.

Carribean-themed might work as well. Bright and pretty, with some options for bridges? A lot of Japan-themed maps on the workshop seem... Pretty bad, low-effort or are too mountainous to do much with. Although I'd still take mountainous if it's pretty and varied enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I've downloaded this one but not successfully started a city on it - I think I hooked my city up to a connection that meets the highway too far away to work on the starting tile. Also I tried left-hand drive which may have done bad things to it:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=940364357

quote:

Welcome to the Archipelago Omishima island !

Situated in Japan, in the Seto Inland Sea, it was formed by 3 islands from north to south : Ikuchi,Omishima and Hakata

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That's infuriating that the MOM mod owner just ghosted the entire community. The whole Steam Workshop system is fine for assets but is really poorly suited for large multi-contributor mods.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

That's infuriating that the MOM mod owner just ghosted the entire community. The whole Steam Workshop system is fine for assets but is really poorly suited for large multi-contributor mods.
I'm not actually sure what "ghosted" means in this case. The author hasn't been active recently?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm not actually sure what "ghosted" means in this case. The author hasn't been active recently?

BP was saying absolutely no one has been able to track down or get any sort of reply from the owner of the MOM mod and it's associated assets shortly after it was released :(

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Albino Squirrel posted:

I've downloaded this one but not successfully started a city on it - I think I hooked my city up to a connection that meets the highway too far away to work on the starting tile. Also I tried left-hand drive which may have done bad things to it:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=940364357

That looks great. too bad I don't have Mass Transit lol.

I did find two good ones (Sakura islands and Delta) so I'll see if I can whip up something cool there.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

More of the same poo poo:

Here's a "map" of how it looks now

I love this stadium, it's actually to scale and makes the tiny stadium CO made look ridiculously tiny. It's sunken too which is cool. I've put it at the edge of a huge park in the suburbs.

There's also some actual towers on the horizon now.

Next to the stadium is a sort of lovely entertainment district. It's where idiot sports fans get drunk or carry on the party after a big event at the stadium.

More single family homes at the edge of the city. They nicely transition into larger buildings as they get closer to the city.

Very much under construction, but some ex-industrial land turned into condos and a single ridiculously big and ugly office tower. Still not sure about this whole area.

Hillside low-density

"skyline"

This area turned out really nice, probably my favourite area in the city.

Park on the hillside, just a regular boring neighbourhood.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
which map are you playing on?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

This area turned out really nice, probably my favourite area in the city.

I like this a lot, looks very real and pretty!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Doorknob Slobber posted:

which map are you playing on?

I always whip something simple up before a new city then terraform it more as I play.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CLAM DOWN posted:

I like this a lot, looks very real and pretty!

Although not a true round-about in real life, it's "inspired" by the actual version what with the tram stop and all.

God how I wish we could just zone and have street-walls of buildings like those automatically fit and conform to the edges... it can't be that hard to do.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I honestly like your version better, the way the tram line waves through and that little market square there is fantastic.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Keep fiddling away at this city. I keep thinking I've lost steam but I keep finding fun things to do. I really want to cover the rest of the islands with farms, that will be a big job.

Instead of spamming them all here I'll just dump a gallery of new pictures.
http://imgur.com/gallery/hFvNk

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Not skyline but got the "build a city itch", and decided to start a new SC4 region.

Growth

Bonus shots:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
with the ploppable RICO mod are ploppables supposed to have an affect on the RCI indicator? I dropped a massive costco complex that is supposed to be commercial, but my commercial demand didn't seem to go down.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

with the ploppable RICO mod are ploppables supposed to have an affect on the RCI indicator? I dropped a massive costco complex that is supposed to be commercial, but my commercial demand didn't seem to go down.

The commercial demand bar is weird. The game thinks you need WAY more commercial than you actually do, so even if you zone or place a lot of it, the bar will tend to stay about in the middle. It is safe to ignore that slider completely. You need very little commercial zoning, if any. For commercial, I just plop or zone whatever looks cool and don't worry about the slider.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, RCI is hosed in skylines, just look at your unemployment and always chase R.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Hi I've been in Los Angeles for the past week with a rental car and Cities Skylines has ruined it for me.

I've been screaming at two-lane on-ramps that merge into a single lane and *then* merge into the highway.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

quote:

Field '.PathUnit.m_vehicleTypes' not found. [System.MissingFieldException]

Details:
No details

I can't play because of this error box, and when I say ok it just pops up again and again and again. Anyone have any idea what mod this is?

This pops up when the game loads, if it helps.

quote:

A Mod caused an error [System.Exception]

Details:
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Exception: TFW: Original method StartPathFind has not been found for redirection
at Transit.Framework.Redirection.Redirector.PerformRedirections (UInt64 bitMask) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CSL_Traffic.TrafficMod.OnEnabled () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Grand Fromage posted:

I can't play because of this error box, and when I say ok it just pops up again and again and again. Anyone have any idea what mod this is?

This pops up when the game loads, if it helps.

Are you using an old version of IPT or other traffic mods?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I disabled Traffic++ V2 and it seems like that was the problem.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Grand Fromage posted:

I disabled Traffic++ V2 and it seems like that was the problem.

Traffic++ hasn't really been supported for a while now, I think that it's mostly been absorbed into TM:PE.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ofaloaf posted:

Hi I've been in Los Angeles for the past week with a rental car and Cities Skylines has ruined it for me.

I've been screaming at two-lane on-ramps that merge into a single lane and *then* merge into the highway.

Yeah there's a lot of decisions like that in Southern CA that because of this game I now curse at whoever designed them.

I get that irl you have to work around a lot of conditions that don't exist in the game but why in the blue gently caress would you put a traffic light on a freeway interchange (where the 78 meets the I5)???

Also this intersection:

gently caress this intersection. There's a set of lights on either side of the tracks and they aren't synchronized whatsoever. If you're trying to turn left at that bottom left set of lights, it only lets 2-3 cars go at a time because it is on a timer and there is invariably a long long line of cars waiting (and thus creating traffic out to the next 3-4 intersections behind them) because it is a super busy intersection along two major roads.

Also there's a big bus hub right there because lol.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 17, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't believe that's not in Boston.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
If I wanted to start playing Skylines with the aim of being a super detail nutcase like all the youtubers, is there a list of 'must have' mods?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Game won't start for me now. Won't get past the Paradox logo at startup. Any handy way to remove all mods/assets from outside the game proper?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

BigglesSWE posted:

Game won't start for me now. Won't get past the Paradox logo at startup. Any handy way to remove all mods/assets from outside the game proper?

I'd try deleting the game's workshop folder, launching it and pausing the workshop download to see if you can hit the in game unsubscribe button. The only way I know of how to do it otherwise is using a chrome script to unsubscribe to your assets one page at a time.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Ofaloaf posted:

This is often implemented poorly but in principle is actually ok, you need two lanes to "hold" all the cars that are going at slow street speed and as they get to highway speed they merge together into the one lane.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
LA is just brutal to drive around in if you're not used to it and the other drivers don't help the situation at all.

The hell is that there's no good public transport so you pretty much have to drive.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
are roundabouts not the best way to do major intersections? every time I use one all the cars get stuck on the outside lane and traffic grinds to a standstill

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Doorknob Slobber posted:

are roundabouts not the best way to do major intersections? every time I use one all the cars get stuck on the outside lane and traffic grinds to a standstill

Use 1-lane one-ways or highways, the AI gets fucky and doesn't take advantage of multiple lanes. Also this happens in real life, roundabouts aren't magic traffic bullets. They are good until they are not good, at which point you need some sort of grade separated solution.

Also make sure not to just place the joining roads connecting onto the roundabout at a 90 degree angle, use highway ramps and have little Y shaped connections so the cars don't have to slow down and turn 90 degrees to get on or off, this helps flow a lot.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

Use 1-lane one-ways or highways, the AI gets fucky and doesn't take advantage of multiple lanes. Also this happens in real life, roundabouts aren't magic traffic bullets. They are good until they are not good, at which point you need some sort of grade separated solution.

Also make sure not to just place the joining roads connecting onto the roundabout at a 90 degree angle, use highway ramps and have little Y shaped connections so the cars don't have to slow down and turn 90 degrees to get on or off, this helps flow a lot.

thanks this is great, do you have any in-game pictures of this I can try to copy?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Literally just )O( with the O being the roundabout and the outside brackets being ways on/off. Can also do above below but i'm to lazy to find a keyboard symbol that looks like that.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

thanks this is great, do you have any in-game pictures of this I can try to copy?

Some variations on a the theme:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The best intersection is a four level roundabout that segregates traffic by direction and destination.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

The best intersection is a four level roundabout that segregates traffic by direction and destination.

Your Traffic Toilet was a good one.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Only three, and inefficiently designed, but definitely a toilet…

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I want to do that but have it extend underground. I'm wondering how feasible it'd be.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tippis posted:

Some variations on a the theme:

Thanks, how do you keep the roundabouts nice looking circles? When I do this it seems to automatically turn my circles into lopsided hideous malformed ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Thanks, how do you keep the roundabouts nice looking circles? When I do this it seems to automatically turn my circles into lopsided hideous malformed ones.

Without mods, there are two ways of doing it: one is to get a feel for how the game will react to different branching angles — it will try to apply a “sensible” curvature to how you attach a new road, and that sensibility is unlikely to match yours.

The other is to constrain how those interpolations are allowed to happen by adding in forced break points in the curves. Essentially, you're adding in spokes in your circular road, which restricts how the game can draw curves between the points where those spokes connect with the circle. You can do this either by drawing the circle first and then adding in roads in the middle, or by building the spokes first and then drawing curves between them — which is better depends a bit on how large a roundabout you're making, and how comfortable you are with using the free-form curve tool.

The main limitation is that if you make the actual circle too small, you run into the limit of how short a curve segment can be, and the road will refuse to attach to anywhere except your spoke connection points. You want a balance where you have a spoke, say, every 45°, but still enough space between them to allow another road connection without forcibly snapping to those pre-existing intersections.

Once you're done, you should be able to remove the shape-supporting roads without the whole thing going wonky.