Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Psion is correct, the impact damage is in addition to the explosion damage. Not super relevant for Skrakes, but for bloats it is the difference between one-shot headshotting them with the M79 or two shots. And it's pretty relevant for Fleshpounds too- if they're charging just fire I guess but if they're not mad yet it's absolutely worth taking that extra second to line up a RPG headshot on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Ugh, having to headshot something with a weapon designed to penetrate solid steel is aggravating. Much like how emptying a full AA-12 drum into anything'a brain should kill it, I think designers need to adhere to the rule of "mass of ordnance > mass of target --> dead target".

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Lacklustre Hero posted:

Supports are actually good vs large zeds because the double barrel staggers and the aa12 is a war crime

I got vote kicked off my last game for soloing single scrakes with AA12 and double-barrel. "Stop raging the scrakes, support!" someone yelled and then it was voting time and a millisecond later I'm out. I mean, who cares when it's only 1 at a time and everyone else seems to be ignoring it? It's not like I grenaded a group of them and they all came out swinging. Ah pubbies. Or I suck, which is not unlikely.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Could be worse - your team could insist on fighting in the big open areas of the snow level including when Hans shows up and starts shooting.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Gromit posted:

I got vote kicked off my last game for soloing single scrakes with AA12 and double-barrel. "Stop raging the scrakes, support!" someone yelled and then it was voting time and a millisecond later I'm out. I mean, who cares when it's only 1 at a time and everyone else seems to be ignoring it? It's not like I grenaded a group of them and they all came out swinging. Ah pubbies. Or I suck, which is not unlikely.

A couple double barrel altfire blasts (assuming you took the right perks) decaps scrakes, so while you're not the best choice to take point on them you can certainly obliterate them if you can headshot. Votekicking immediately is the kind of shameful behavior I'd expect from tripwire-game pubbies though

Shumagorath posted:

Ugh, having to headshot something with a weapon designed to penetrate solid steel is aggravating. Much like how emptying a full AA-12 drum into anything'a brain should kill it, I think designers need to adhere to the rule of "mass of ordnance > mass of target --> dead target".

this game is really Headshot Floor 2, for better or for worse. The separate head health pool - not just a different damage multiplier but a literally different hp pool - really, really forces it for almost every class. Personally I don't really mind that, because it's something you have to do more as the difficulty goes up more. That works out alright, lower difficulties you can just shotgun bodyshot everything, higher difficulties take tight choke and shotgun headshot. :shrug:

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 20, 2017

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I haven't played since they implemented that weird rock paper scissors damage system. Did they ever manage to make this as fun and silly as the first one?

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Psion posted:

this game is really Headshot Floor 2

Well that is literally the weekly wacky modifier mode this week

e: which I just played solo and very nearly one-shot Hans with the railgun; I had the extra ammo perk instead of the bonus ironsight damage perk so that'd probably do it

ClonedPickle fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 21, 2017

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

ClonedPickle posted:

Well that is literally the weekly wacky modifier mode this week

e: which I just played solo and very nearly one-shot Hans with the railgun; I had the extra ammo perk instead of the bonus ironsight damage perk so that'd probably do it

Oh is the new weekly out already?

Done and done.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 21, 2017

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Gets you a neat centerfire skin.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Propaganda Hour posted:

Gets you a neat centerfire skin.

Jurassic Park tie-in?

I wouldn't mind this-game-but-with-dinos...

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Meldonox posted:

I haven't played since they implemented that weird rock paper scissors damage system. Did they ever manage to make this as fun and silly as the first one?

They really tamed that the gently caress down and I don't really notice it now. I honestly think the game is in a good place right now, although I'm sure there are some things that could still do with tuning. Not that I could tell you what those would be, but I couldn't describe it as a perfect experience. The one thing that stands out between KF1 and 2 for me is how hard it is to heal other players with the syringe. In 1 you could run past someone and easily give them a hit with it but now it's like some precision minigame.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
To be fair, medics now have a homing dart and each medic weapon has its own supply. Also, anyone can use these weapons. Not saying you're wrong, it is a bitch to syringe someone, but it's pretty moot at this point.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

To be fair, medics now have a homing dart and each medic weapon has its own supply. Also, anyone can use these weapons. Not saying you're wrong, it is a bitch to syringe someone, but it's pretty moot at this point.

Tryhard grogs were trying to use the homing dart as an excuse to nerf the Medic into oblivion earlier last year because it "made the game too easy".

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

What always bothered me about the medic in KF2 was healing others with the syringe. In KF1 it only took half your gauge to heal others and that promoted healing others over yourself. But in KF2 it consumes the full gauge.

Having level 25'd medic first it's a pretty well rounded class. Just wish it had more different weapons to play with.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Revolver Bunker posted:

What always bothered me about the medic in KF2 was healing others with the syringe. In KF1 it only took half your gauge to heal others and that promoted healing others over yourself. But in KF2 it consumes the full gauge.

Healing someone else with KF2's syringe has it recharge twice as fast compared to healing yourself with it. Also hitting other players with KF1's syringe sucked as well, fight me

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
You also get a bit of money for healing allies, so there's another small incentive to be a team player.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I just found out on the new weekly, don't go Demo hoping to get splash damage head damage on the bosses. Unless it's a direct head shot with the RPG, they take no damage.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Gromit posted:

They really tamed that the gently caress down and I don't really notice it now. I honestly think the game is in a good place right now, although I'm sure there are some things that could still do with tuning. Not that I could tell you what those would be, but I couldn't describe it as a perfect experience. The one thing that stands out between KF1 and 2 for me is how hard it is to heal other players with the syringe. In 1 you could run past someone and easily give them a hit with it but now it's like some precision minigame.

Hey cool, thanks! I bought this ages ago hoping it would be a worthy successor to the first one, but realistically expecting it to be.. kinda competent maybe? I really enjoyed playing berserker in the first one and kinda liked how it was here.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Skoll posted:

So I just found out on the new weekly, don't go Demo hoping to get splash damage head damage on the bosses. Unless it's a direct head shot with the RPG, they take no damage.

Yeah, this is kind of "Don't play demo or firebug" the event.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

aniviron posted:

Yeah, this is kind of "Don't play demo or firebug" the event.

Yep. Rolled Sharpshooter next game and got it though.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
This event made me realize how much damage a team of sharpshooters and commandos can do on a boss. Good lord

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
What's this Rock Paper Scissors thing people are talking about? I only play intermittently and have never noticed something like that.

Not that I'm the sharpest of players, when I first started I'd refuse to take ammo or grenades from Supports and Demos because I thought my teammates would need them more :downsgun:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

ClonedPickle posted:

Healing someone else with KF2's syringe has it recharge twice as fast compared to healing yourself with it. Also hitting other players with KF1's syringe sucked as well, fight me

Oh I completely agree that the syringe sucked in both versions. Its slightly better in KF2. I wish the knife could heal so I can just stab people to full health as a medic.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

ClonedPickle posted:

Also hitting other players with KF1's syringe sucked as well, fight me

You are crazy and I'll beat the poo poo out of you after school today to prove it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Revolver Bunker posted:

I wish the knife could heal so I can just stab people to full health as a medic.

I didn't, but now I do.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Propaganda Hour posted:

This event made me realize how much damage a team of sharpshooters and commandos can do on a boss. Good lord

Finishing the boss with a team of all Sharpshooters is the winning strat akin to the sextuple Firebug strat back when the microwave gun was busted. We did it with Skoll if he's running around somewhere and he can vouch for it, it just melts the boss.

The way to go is use all the stability perks and use the railgun, double tap when you fire because it makes you reload faster, and if you're fighting Kevin just freeze him the moment his health bar changes color for an instant one-cycle. Easy peasy.

Alacron posted:

What's this Rock Paper Scissors thing people are talking about? I only play intermittently and have never noticed something like that.

Not that I'm the sharpest of players, when I first started I'd refuse to take ammo or grenades from Supports and Demos because I thought my teammates would need them more :downsgun:

It's resistances. They implemented them in the beta and they were completely insane (Stalkers could survive a pointblank shotgun, Crawlers could be rendered headless but alive by the pistol, and Gunslinger's weapons all did reduced damage to everything). How it works is that some zeds just take more or less damage than others based on the weapon you're firing. I wrote a guide breaking it down here, and it includes the raw data I extracted my information from. It doesn't quite matter now considering how much they toned it back.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 22, 2017

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Can confirm Theta Zero's Sharpshooter strat melts bosses. When I did my second try for this Weekly, it was me and two other Sharpshooters and we killed Kevin in about three railgun shots. You can actually solo him with a railgun headshot.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Skoll posted:

Can confirm Theta Zero's Sharpshooter strat melts bosses. When I did my second try for this Weekly, it was me and two other Sharpshooters and we killed Kevin in about three railgun shots. You can actually solo him with a railgun headshot.

The railgun is just busted. I was stuck on HoE solo as SWAT for a while until I decided to just run the railgun as SWAT and it finally let me beat the boss.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Skoll posted:

Was just level 14 doing the weekly solo as sharpshooter, a single headshot does about 90% to Kev with the left hand side of the perk tree. It's obscene.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh they took out the dumb resistance thing?

Might actually play this game over KF1 now.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

dogstile posted:

Oh they took out the dumb resistance thing?

Might actually play this game over KF1 now.

It's less that they removed it, and more they changed the values to be less retarded for the most part(I'd say the resistances for the bosses need some more fine tuning though, make it so Gunslinger and SWAT are less of a liability in the boss round for one thing)

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I'm pretty happy to hear it's decent. Do folks still use the old Killing Floor group?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Hmm.

KF 2 Update 1054 posted:

We have just set live a required update for clients and servers with the following changes:

Weapons Balance:
Commando
Stoner 63a
Damage increased 20%
Scar
Damage increased 10%

Support
M4
Weight reduced to 7 blocks
Hip recoil reduced 13%
Reload speed increased 20%
Elite reload speed increased 20%

Sharpshooter
Centerfire
Adjusted position for reloads to not block the center screen as much
Fix camera bob on sprint run to not be so extreme

Bug Fixes:
Fixed Scrake enrage issue
Fleshpound now properly enrages at any point in the game at spawn time if requested, Boom mode now properly de-enrages at all times
Players should now be able to more reliably matchmake into Weekly Event servers
Fixed typo with Summer Sideshow player "Accesosory"
Jagerhorn now also properly unlocks via Digital Deluxe as well as game group membership

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Meldonox posted:

I'm pretty happy to hear it's decent. Do folks still use the old Killing Floor group?

Not from what I've seen. The game spent so long in EA with balance issues going back and forth I think a lot of goons lost interest. It's a shame because it's really fun where it is right now.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

assuming the numbers spreadsheet was current before today, that means Stoner changed from 30 to 36 base damage, SCAR-H from 55 to 60.5 (I don't know if this rounds to 60 or 61) and the M4 change doesn't let you bring it with an AA12+DBS so who cares. (ok being generous as possible, the M4 change puts it in a better place in the hypothetical future they reduce it to 6 weight)

:shrug:

someone else can do the math on whether or not 5-6 damage changes any shot-to-kill breakpoints. It'd be nice if the answer was yes, especially letting the SCAR drop sirens/gorefiends faster, for example.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 22, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Stoner desperately needed the buff. After the first shot or two it's not accurate enough to get headshots so you have to aim for the body, which means the damage is really necessary.

I mean, the utility of a 1500D weapon that doesn't get headshots can still be called into question here, but at least this will help. Right now it's one of the worst weapons for how much it costs.

The Benelli buffs are welcome too, especially the reload speed. Power isn't an issue, even the standard issue does fine against everything except skrakes and FPs, but with how fast the M4 fires it meant you spent about 80% of your time reloading the drat thing, what's the point to firing that fast if the reload is still slow? I don't think this is going to stop me from using the AA12 over it, but it's at least something to think about when I'm loving around on lower difficulties now.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
I really dig the centerfire. Part of me is surprised that they didn't nerf it because it is incredibly effective at 650 I feel.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there a good updated guide to Berzerker? I seem to struggle until I can afford a Pulverizer and can't get the hang of the mace + shield. Still only level 8 so I guess the Crovel / Zwei are usable on Hard with the damage bonus at 10?

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Sell the crovel, the lawnmower blade does more damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Severed posted:

I really dig the centerfire. Part of me is surprised that they didn't nerf it because it is incredibly effective at 650 I feel.

I like it for Gunslinger, not so much Sharpshooter. The .500 outclasses it just because you get more bullets out faster, the iron sight isn't wrong half of the time due to view bobbing, you get a nice handful more ammo, and it does essentially the same damage. On Gunslinger though it can replace dual 1911 which is a straight upgrade.

Shumagorath posted:

Is there a good updated guide to Berzerker? I seem to struggle until I can afford a Pulverizer and can't get the hang of the mace + shield. Still only level 8 so I guess the Crovel / Zwei are usable on Hard with the damage bonus at 10?

I wrote this brief guide a while back, I think just two weeks ago.

Theta Zero posted:

You can use pretty much any setup of skills for Berserker, it just depends on whether or not you want to play super-defensively or super-offensively. For defense, you want the perks that give you extra health and for offense you want to use the perks that give you health regen. In general, working with perks that give you extra health or damage over health regen work best with a pocket Medic on you. The absolutely most important perk is the one that gives you stat boosts on a successful parry. During its effects, you take almost no damage, do an insane amount of damage in return, and it's easy to chain infinitely by just letting a baby zed hit you for another free parry. In general you want to play like an absolute idiot if you're going for an offensive build because you heal by killing small zeds, or stick with your team as the resident tanky front line for defensive builds. Learn how to parry (it's not that difficult, the timing is super generous), and learn how to swing your view with your attacks (your swings' hitboxes go off in a ray, so if you swipe your view, you'll hit more things). Decide what you like better--doing precise light attacks or arcing your strong attacks, and select your skills based off of which resonates better with you.

Weapons:

Crovel: Is actually worthless. Because of how resistances work and due to its swing speed, your knife actually does more raw damage and has a higher DPS.

Nailgun: Worthless. Don't use it. You get zero bonuses for it outside of a raw damage buff.

Eviscerator: Not that great, but does a ton of damage with the saw blades and is a very effective anti-boss weapon. It has the highest threshold for blocking (it blocks the most damage) and you generally want to use this on the boss wave since it's not wonderful for crowd control.

Katana: Good as a transitional weapon when you're saving up. Has the fastest swing speed and does decent damage, and you can carry it with the eviscerator, so you can use this for crowd control during boss fights.

Pulverizor: Your hardest hitting weapon. The alt fire does the most damage you can do against Fleshpounds and Scrakes (even if Scrakes resist explosions, the raw damage alone outclasses other weapons). Not good for crowd control unless you spam light attacks or empty the clip so it doesn't explode on alt fire. You can also use the explosion to get yourself out of being surrounded.

Zweihander: The best weapon for crowd control, strong swings are nice and slow, leaving a long-lasting hitbox for you to swing your view with. Its stab attack is the fastest (for some reason) and it does an insane amount of damage like the Pulverizor but doesn't rely on ammo. You mostly want to pair this with the Pulverizor and use it for every enemy besides Scrakes and Fleshpounds.

Bonecrusher: A fun weapon but not as effective as the Pulverizor or Zweihander. It has an incredibly high block threshold (almost as much as the Eviscerator) but the main benefit of it is that it's hilarious. If you don't want to use the Eviscerator, it serves as a good replacement for boss fights. It's best paired with the Pulverizor so you'll have something to quickly dispatch Scrakes and Fleshpounds. Doing a shield bash and landing a headshot will also almost always knock a zed down.

Zeds:

Clots, Crawlers, Stalkers, Gorefasts: Just swing in an arc and you'll dispatch them easily. Gorefasts generally need to get hit in the head to die in one shot.

Sirens and Bloats: Usually worth a Pulverizor strong attack, otherwise aim for the head.

Husks: Do a forward overhead swing for any weapon and aim for the backpack so it explodes, you can hit it if you angle it just right.

Gorefiends: These things suck. Prioritize them as much as possible because they don't get staggered when they attack or when you parry them and will Beyblade you to death.

Scrakes and Fleshpounds: Get the parry bonus and Pulverize them to death, or just aim for the head. For Fleshpounds, you can also do a backwards strong attack with the Pulverizor (the underhand swing) and aim for its chest for the same effect as a headshot.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 23, 2017