Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Avirosb posted:

Obama is taking money from Wall Street now, and Bernie owns 3 houses now.
Heck, Bernie ain't even a Dem, what's he hanging around 'em for? Don't you have Liberal parties in America?

Running on a third party is worthless, so he's gotta try to take over the Dems. Who gives a gently caress about his 3 houses?

Now Obama taking speech money is dumb, but also unrelated to my point.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Crazy by small donation standards, or crazy like fund every race in the country standards?

Crazy by any standard. If the DNC weren't incompetent (or corrupt) maybe the money could have been spent in a more optimal manner.

E: VVV Yea, that's why it's disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

The idea that we should hang on to Pelosi due to her fundraising ability is disgusting, to me.
When people say "fundraising ability" what they really mean is "willing to reassure donors that they will never move left no matter what happens"

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Now Obama taking speech money is dumb, but also unrelated to my point.

People poo poo on Obama for this but the guy did his time and comparatively speaking he wasn't that bad of a president. I'd charge exorbitant fees to the donor class just to make them feel good about themselves too.

If he makes any headway against gerrymandering it'll have been worth it.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

WampaLord posted:

Running on a third party is worthless, so he's gotta try to take over the Dems. Who gives a gently caress about his 3 houses?

People who can't afford one?

Maybe you should ask yourself why running on a third party is worthless or if having only two parties is such a great idea to begin with.
'Cause it sure doesn't seem like it the way things are going.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

People poo poo on Obama for this but the guy did his time and comparatively speaking he wasn't that bad of a president. I'd charge exorbitant fees to the donor class just to make them feel good about themselves too.

If he makes any headway against gerrymandering it'll have been worth it.

He's already making millions from book sales and he has a pension, plus he just got done spending 0 money for 8 years while his Presidential salary presumably just sat in the stock market.

Why does he need more loving money? Shouldn't Democrats be above that level of greed?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

WampaLord posted:

Crazy by any standard. If the DNC weren't incompetent (or corrupt) maybe the money could have been spent in a more optimal manner.

The best I can find for his small donor pull is under $60mil. Is that enough to win the presidency and Congress?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obama-fundraising-powered-by-small-donors-new-study-shows/2012/02/08/gIQANfKIzQ_story.html

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

The best I can find for his small donor pull is under $60mil. Is that enough to win the presidency and Congress?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obama-fundraising-powered-by-small-donors-new-study-shows/2012/02/08/gIQANfKIzQ_story.html

Surely 2016 taught us that more money doesn't equal automatic win, yes?

Maybe, just maybe, selling out for campaign money is hurting the party when no one will vote for them because they sold out?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Avirosb posted:

Maybe you should ask yourself why running on a third party is worthless or if having only two parties is such a great idea to begin with.

I don't think it's up to him.

WampaLord posted:

He's already making millions from book sales and he has a pension, plus he just got done spending 0 money for 8 years while his Presidential salary presumably just sat in the stock market.

Why does he need more loving money? Shouldn't Democrats be above that level of greed?
He's a private citizen, who gives a poo poo?

WampaLord posted:

Surely 2016 taught us that more money doesn't equal automatic win, yes?

Maybe, just maybe, selling out for campaign money is hurting the party when no one will vote for them because they sold out?
Even if we know there's a spending ceiling, what's the floor?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

He's the most famous Democrat in the world, he should be setting an example.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

WampaLord posted:

He's the most famous Democrat in the world, he should be setting an example.

Not his job, get over it.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

PerniciousKnid posted:

The democratic base

there's a reason Hillary was so sheepish about her speeches

PerniciousKnid posted:

yes, caring about nothing is a winning strategy

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

PerniciousKnid posted:

Bernie raised $230M which is definitely enough to win the presidency since Trump did it raising $330M to Hillary's 563M

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

Inspiring message. Let's put it on some bumper stickers and see how it tests.

Hillary 2020: Get Over It

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

WampaLord posted:

You want to secure yourself financially in the troubling times the country is heading towards.

quote:

Reminder that Bernie had to play nice with Democrats to even stand a chance because running as a third party is apparently worthless.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

PerniciousKnid posted:

literally his job though? I mean he is still campaigning for other people!

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Avirosb posted:

People who can't afford one?

'Cause it sure doesn't seem like it the way things are going.

We don't keep the two party system around because we like it. It's kept around because the voting system prevents third parties from being viable. Can't change the voting system because the only people who can do that are the people who benefit from the current system.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Avirosb posted:

You want to secure yourself financially in the troubling times the country is heading towards.

lmao yeah, Obama is terrified for his financial security so he does wall st speeches

how stupid can you be?

pro tip, he's an unabashed capitalist that basically went "nah" after being handed the first opportunity in decades to reform the financial system

he wants more cash because net worth is how he determines the value of a person

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

NewForumSoftware posted:

lmao yeah, Obama is terrified for his financial security so he does wall st speeches

how stupid can you be?

So stupid I forgot you can't be flippant on the internet without using italics.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Secretary of the Treasury pays a taxable pension to the president. Former presidents receive a pension equal to the pay that the head of an executive department (Executive Level I) would be paid, as of 2015 $203,700 per year. The pension begins immediately after a president's departure from office.

:thunk:

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Avirosb posted:

So stupid I forgot you can't be flippant on the internet without using italics.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's pretty telling that centrists get really mad when people suggest that Obama maybe shouldn't drag the Dem name further into the mud by taking Wall Street cash. What's a bit more baffling is the insistence that it totally doesn't matter because he isn't President anymore, mostly because the GOP still manages to get mileage out of yelling about Bill Clinton, but it makes sense once you get that the dedicated centrists don't actually want to win unless they can do it with their fantasy electorate consisting entirely of beep boop moral robots.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

sirtommygunn posted:

We don't keep the two party system around because we like it. It's kept around because the voting system prevents third parties from being viable.
Can't change the voting system because the only people who can do that are the people who benefit from the current system.

Maybe that could be something worth looking into.
I dunno, it seems like kind of a big deal.

Here's an idea: Instead of pouring fresh new blood into the Democratic party,
how about someone create an entirely new party? Boy, wouldn't that be radical?
Then people could crowd-fund it or something, like all the kids do nowadays.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Avirosb posted:

Go have fun with the Greens and gently caress off, then. You have a laughably naive view of politics if you think third parties are the answer.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

waffle posted:

Bernie raised $230M which is definitely enough to win the presidency since Trump did it raising $330M to Hillary's 563M

But only half of that was from small donations.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

literally his job though? I mean he is still campaigning for other people!

Well, that's a better answer than "not policing private citizen = nothing matters". But it's still up to him to do what he wants. Getting tied up in knots over what the ex president is doing feels like a huge waste of energy to me.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

PerniciousKnid posted:

Getting tied up in knots over what the ex president is doing feels like a huge waste of energy to me.

you act like he left the presidency and just rode into the sunset and didn't attempt to direct the way the Democratic party goes

does the name Tom Perez ring a bell?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

WampaLord posted:

Go have fun with the Greens and gently caress off, then. You have a laughably naive view of politics if you think third parties are the answer.

Hey now, my country didn't end up with Donald Trump as president.
Maybe America's problem is that your system is simply too complicated for most voters to fully understand?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Avirosb posted:

Maybe America's problem is that your system is simply too complicated for most voters to fully understand?

this is a bigger part of the problem than you realize but "make a new third party" is not the solution to that, or a solution to anything for that matter

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

As long as there are democrats more concerned about which gender specific pronouns are appropriate for California limousine liberals instead of directly addressing the concerns of Baltimore, Portland, and the entire Rustbelt, you'll get Republicans running poo poo forever.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Is is that bad for Obama to speak with rich people and try to get them on board with more liberal ideas and make some money (because they can afford it)? He didn't charge fees when he was speaking at schools from what I remember.

Wouldn't there be cause to be mad if he made time out for Cantor Fitzgerald and didn't squeeze them for money that can go to a good cause?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's pretty telling that centrists get really mad when people suggest that Obama maybe shouldn't drag the Dem name further into the mud by taking Wall Street cash. What's a bit more baffling is the insistence that it totally doesn't matter because he isn't President anymore, mostly because the GOP still manages to get mileage out of yelling about Bill Clinton, but it makes sense once you get that the dedicated centrists don't actually want to win unless they can do it with their fantasy electorate consisting entirely of beep boop moral robots.
GOP gonna GOP.

Honestly, once the Democrats have a viable presidential candidate to worry about, nobody will care about Obama beyond "hey that guy was good and popular". Nobody's going to be running oppo on him in 2020. How much did Clinton's misdeeds hurt Obama?

Avirosb posted:

Hey, we never thought of that, thanks we'll get right on it.

Sincerely,
Every third party in America.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Brony Car posted:

Is is that bad for Obama to speak with rich people and try to get them on board with more liberal ideas and make some money (because they can afford it)?

:laffo:

loving oh my god, that's what you think he's doing?

He's telling them all about how they're the backbone of America. They're paying for the speech equivalent of a blowjob.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

NewForumSoftware posted:

this is a bigger part of the problem than you realize but "make a new third party" is not the solution to that, or a solution to anything for that matter

I mean if the Dems are going to keep losing all the goddamn time, it's the time to make a serious third party, not a joke one like the greens and force them to split their vote or come to that side.

It's clear progressives aren't going to turn out for centrists anymore.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Brony Car posted:

Is is that bad for Obama to speak with rich people and try to get them on board with more liberal ideas and make some money (because they can afford it)? He didn't charge fees when he was speaking at schools from what I remember.

that's not why he's speaking to them

quote:

Wouldn't there be cause to be mad if he made time out for Cantor Fitzgerald and didn't squeeze them for money that can go to a good cause?

lol the "he's actually fleecing them" defense

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

lol the "he's actually fleecing them" defense

Yea, he's killing off Wall St one $400k speech at a time, lmao.

E: VVV *Trevor Noah voice* "What a brother can't get paid?"

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

WampaLord posted:

The Secretary of the Treasury pays a taxable pension to the president. Former presidents receive a pension equal to the pay that the head of an executive department (Executive Level I) would be paid, as of 2015 $203,700 per year. The pension begins immediately after a president's departure from office.

:thunk:

Dude's literally a pauper.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

PerniciousKnid posted:

Well, that's a better answer than "not policing private citizen = nothing matters". But it's still up to him to do what he wants. Getting tied up in knots over what the ex president is doing feels like a huge waste of energy to me.

PerniciousKnid posted:

GOP gonna GOP.

Honestly, once the Democrats have a viable presidential candidate to worry about, nobody will care about Obama beyond "hey that guy was good and popular". Nobody's going to be running oppo on him in 2020. How much did Clinton's misdeeds hurt Obama?

You're being a real dumbo here because the GOP sure as poo poo won't ignore what Obama is doing and will happily use that to tar the entire Democratic Party by association. Bill Clinton getting a blowjob was used to rile up the GOP base for decades. Bill Clinton signing NAFTA was exploited by Trump to win the rust belt only seven and a half months ago. You don't actually have your preferred fantasy electorate, and this kind of poo poo does matter. Obama taking wall street cash could just as easily be used come the next election to paint the Dems as corrupt corporate stooges in the pocket of big money, which is a really good way of killing grassroots enthusiasm for a Dem candidate because it's actually got truth to it.

So maybe Obama shouldn't be taking that dirty cash, eh?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Brony Car posted:

In criminal law there's a principle called "Fruit of the Poison Tree" that refers to when evidence is gathered illegally, the idea being that no matter how compelling the evidence it is tainted by the way it was gathered. Money given by Wall Street bankers should be seen the same way, as ill gotten gains that cannot and should not be taken by people of conscience.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

NewForumSoftware posted:

But Bernie would have won though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Avirosb posted:

But Bernie would have won though.

Because he ran as a Democrat

• Locked thread