Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Xombie posted:

Are you under the impression that even a Democratic house is going to be able to do anything other than the same obstruction that we saw from Republicans under Obama?

Obstruction would be a tremendous improvement on where things are at now, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I assume when picking cabinet members that are currently in office, one of the things considered is how vulnerable their seats would be? When was the last time a seat flipped parties during a special election caused by a presidential appointment?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Z. Autobahn posted:

For one thing, it would've dramatically decreased the odds of AHCA passing.

Unless the D's swept them (which they were never going to do), there is nothing dramatic that it would have done to the chances of the AHCA passing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

McConnell wouldn't give a poo poo if Ossoff won. He is determined to ram the AHCA through no matter what. I think the deteriorating situation with the Trump WH is also motivating him to get this done ASAP. I'm just wondering if he has the votes.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Xombie posted:

Unless the D's swept them (which they were never going to do), there is nothing dramatic that it would have done to the chances of the AHCA passing.

You don't need anything dramatic to block AHCA. You need 3 Senators feeling skittish. Right now, they're all feeling joyful and emboldened.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Spiritus Nox posted:

Obstruction would be a tremendous improvement on where things are at now, actually.

Right, with all of this legislation that's whizzing through congress.

I swear that you guys don't even actually follow politics beyond reading tweets in this thread.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

skylined! posted:

there is a clear strategy, which can be inferred by the approach to the +8 average swing toward dems across the 5 elections

engaging with it in argument is worthwhile. complaining that we aren't all in a perfect world this morning because dems hosed it up is not.

You mean the 5 elections of which four were basically written off by the national party? Doesn't seem like the result of much strategic acumen on their part to me.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Democracy is like a team of oxen - you have to pull really hard to the left to shift course a little bit.

Just hang in there. Progressivism is making some gains, and we have to keep pulling.

No part of this administration is normal or okay.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Xombie posted:

Right, with all of this legislation that's whizzing through congress.

I swear that you guys don't even actually follow politics beyond reading tweets in this thread.

But...but...Any Day Now! :ohdear:

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Z. Autobahn posted:

You don't need anything dramatic to block AHCA. You need 3 Senators feeling skittish. Right now, they're all feeling joyful and emboldened.

Yeah I'm sure that the R's in swing districts are feeling joyful and emboldened that hard-R districts are getting competitive and the GOP has to pump tons of money into what were safe havens. Absolutely over the moon.

And that's not even with the poo poo passed and a year of rising premiums. Just with the threat of it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

McConnell wouldn't give a poo poo if Ossoff won. He is determined to ram the AHCA through no matter what. I think the deteriorating situation with the Trump WH is also motivating him to get this done ASAP. I'm just wondering if he has the votes.

I don't give a poo poo what Mitch McConnell thinks, I care whether some skittish blue/ish state Republican has reason to fear for his seat if he goes along with Mitch.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Xombie posted:

Yeah I'm sure that the R's in swing districts are feeling joyful and emboldened that hard-R districts are getting competitive and the GOP has to pump tons of money into what were safe havens. Absolutely over the moon.
Also the town halls where they are getting yelled at

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

FlamingLiberal posted:

Of course they have the votes. A handful will have their staff put out a press release detailing how troubled they are with some random section of the bill and then they'll all vote in lockstep.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
The Handel campaign raised $4.5 million and outside groups spent $18.2 million. This district should have cost the GOP $0.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Xombie posted:

And that's not even with the poo poo passed and a year of rising premiums. Just with the threat of it.

Honestly? Yes. Yes, they are.

Look, this isn't a rational matter. It's 'gut'. Any rational analysis would tell you passing AHCA is a terrible idea. They're going off gut and emotion, and right now, their guts are happy.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Z. Autobahn posted:

Reminder that they literally got hunted for the AHCA a week ago, I doubt 'emboldened' is the feeling in on the hill.

Now maybe that's motivating for them on account of feeding their persecution complex, but these aren't confident well-liked leaders.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Skippy Granola posted:

Democracy is like a team of oxen - you have to pull really hard to the left to shift course a little bit.

Just hang in there. Progressivism is making some gains, and we have to keep pulling.

Can you explain what gains progressivism is making please

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Like, I'm not Gloom-And-Dooming; I think in 2018 prognostication terms, the elections last night give the Dems good odds to take the House (though I wish they were better). But it's also naive to deny that right now, there's a celebratory relieved mood among Republicans, and that's going to make them more likely, not less, to stick with the agenda.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Maybe the Democratic Party needs to rebrand itself the Freedom Party and go bananas.

You're not against the party of freedom, are you? :smug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skippy Granola posted:

I'm pretty sure the tens of thousands of people who are going to die in the next few years don't feel very comforted at the idea that "progressivism is making some gains" when those gains are "We're not losing AS BADLY as we might have" in a game where anything short of a win is 100% meaningless.

The GOP are delighted. They're not taking this as a loss. They're taking it as proof they can do whatever and win.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Z. Autobahn posted:

Like, I'm not Gloom-And-Dooming; I think in 2018 prognostication terms, the elections last night give the Dems good odds to take the House (though I wish they were better). But it's also naive to deny that right now, there's a celebratory relieved mood among Republicans, and that's going to make them more likely, not less, to stick with the agenda.

Has the 538 guy or anyone else extrapolated the actual vs demographic for the 5 special elections to all house districts?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Maybe the answer is somewhere in the middle

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure the tens of thousands of people who are going to die in the next few years don't feel very comforted at the idea that "progressivism is making some gains" when those gains are "We're not losing AS BADLY as we might have" in a game where anything short of a win is 100% meaningless.

You really think 8-12 points movement towards the left is 100% meaningless?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Reik posted:

The Handel campaign raised $4.5 million and outside groups spent $18.2 million. This district should have cost the GOP $0.

Your point isn't wrong, but it's not like they wasted that money. That money was spent because they wanted to hold onto that seat, which is exactly what they did. The takeaway from this can just as easily be that Republicans are capable of raising the resources necessary to defend their seats even in the face of an overwhelmingly unpopular president.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Z. Autobahn posted:

Honestly? Yes. Yes, they are.

Look, this isn't a rational matter. It's 'gut'. Any rational analysis would tell you passing AHCA is a terrible idea. They're going off gut and emotion, and right now, their guts are happy.

They are actual politicians, not NPC's in a video game. There's nothing a +8 Dem swing doesn't achieve that a +10 one would. Either they give a poo poo about their reelection chances or they don't. If they're willing to ram the legislation through at their own peril, then 2-3 Dems actually winning wouldn't matter. Actually passing it just fucks them even further and makes it even more likely they'll be voted out despite whatever grinding slog of lovely legislation they manage to hammer out.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Dietrich posted:

by scaring the GOP into being more centrist

You mean that thing that hasn't happened in living memory?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Skippy Granola posted:

This is your reminder that climate change will literally end civilization before our culture breaks away from its current course.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Z. Autobahn posted:

No one with a working brain thought that they were going to abandon their agenda. The only thing that's possible is slowing it down, which is already being accomplished.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Dietrich posted:

You really think 8-12 points movement towards the left is 100% meaningless?

Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, chum

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

Your point isn't wrong, but it's not like they wasted that money. That money was spent because they wanted to hold onto that seat, which is exactly what they did. The takeaway from this can just as easily be that Republicans are capable of raising the resources necessary to defend their seats even in the face of an overwhelmingly unpopular president.

They've only got so much money though, even if they have a lot. When defending a couple specific districts they can raise the resources, but can they when it's every house seat where republicans historically lead by 15 or less? If you assume the deeper red a district is the less amount of money they will need to spend to defend it, how much would they be spending in a district that may only lean +5-7 R historically?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

ImpAtom posted:

The GOP are delighted. They're not taking this as a loss. They're taking it as proof they can do whatever and win.

You are absolutely delusional if you thought they were going to abandon their agenda with an Ossof win. They don't care about proof or winning, they just care about ramming their agenda through. The only thing that can be accomplished is shaking enough of them that the process gets slowed enough to stall for longer.

"I was totally afraid that my R+2 district was going to be lost next year, but now that a previously R+35 district was down to 2 points with just the threat of this legislation I'm about to pass, I'm totally emboldened!" says absolutely no one in this physical reality.

If they go through with their agenda, it's not because they're happy, it's because they know they're hosed and are going kamikaze.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 21, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Is this the part of the week where we consume ourselves?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

sean10mm posted:

You mean that thing that hasn't happened in living memory?

There are plenty of people alive that remember moderate republicans.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Reik posted:

They've only got so much money though, even if they have a lot. When defending a couple specific districts they can raise the resources, but can they when it's every house seat where republicans historically lead by 15 or less? If you assume the deeper red a district is the less amount of money they will need to spend to defend it, how much would they be spending in a district that may only lean +5-7 R historically?

On the other end of that, though, can the Dems and other left-leaning organizations really pour enough money and candidates into these races to make the danger real or has too much ammunition already been spent?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Whoops guess a district by-election in rightwing Georgia has broken the left.

Republicans are not winning as big as they used to, plenty of their leadership have hitched their wagons to a deeply unpopular probable criminal, and their vaunted healthcare bill may not even pass.

Plus, regular folks are getting mad and paying attention. Hush your unproductive sadbrains

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Lightning Lord posted:

Is this the part of the week where we consume ourselves?

You mean the whole week?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Change might be extremely slow but it is still supposed to be visible. It'll take time, yes, but it helps if we can see it happening.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

skylined! posted:

for the broke/sadbrains

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/877515596887470080

this does actually suggest a dem wave in 2018, especially with the rate of which trump continues to rapidfuck support and demoralize republicans, while providing more to work with to energize democrats

you can doom and gloom all you want, but a +8 swing toward democrats in heavy red districts just five loving months after this shithead took office is unprecedented

Predicting 2018 seems utterly pointless. Not because ive lost faith in any polls, but because so much poo poo is going to happen between now and the midterms that what people think right now wont matter in the slightest. Hell, with how much crazy poo poo happens at the last minute, I wouldnt try to predict the midterms a week before they happened,

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Xombie posted:

They are actual politicians, not NPC's in a video game. There's nothing a +8 Dem swing doesn't achieve that a +10 one would.

It's precisely because they're humans, not machines, that the difference between winning and losing, between maximum consequences and none at all, is orders of magnitude more meaningful than shaving numbers off the margin of victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ratoslov posted:

You mean the whole week?

The self-consumption never stops, this thread is an infinite ouroboros.

• Locked thread