Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Waroduce posted:

my buddy has one of the original PS4's im thinking about taking off his hands for like $150. is there anything wrong or lovely or limiting about the original ps4? Is it worth it to spring for a newer model? if so...why?

The launch PS4 is worse than the Slim in these ways:
-Louder
-Worse wifi (not that the slim is necessarily good but the launch model is really bad)
-Sometimes the capacitive buttons malfunction and cause annoying problems like spontaneous disk eject

$150 is a bargain though, especially if you don't have a 4K TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
i dont have a 4k tv and the only things i really play are madden or fifa and maybbbee battlefield...do people still play that? is the graphics difference very large irt to both 4k AND the upgraded video card or whatever included in the pro or something

its also close enough to my router to hardwire it in so.....

im getting a yes do it sense from you guys

what are some cool and good games for ps4?i like not racing games basically.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Play Horizon Zero Dawn

Bloodborne if that kind of game appeals to you

Two good RPGs in Tales of Berseria and Persona 5 just came out this year

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Waroduce posted:

i dont have a 4k tv and the only things i really play are madden or fifa and maybbbee battlefield...do people still play that? is the graphics difference very large irt to both 4k AND the upgraded video card or whatever included in the pro or something

its also close enough to my router to hardwire it in so.....

im getting a yes do it sense from you guys

Yes, it's a good buy. I would also recommend upgrading the hard drive but that's something you can do later. There are tons of cool and fun games for the PS4 and you would probably get a shorter list if you asked for games to avoid.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Play yakuza 0

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Play Horizon Zero Dawn

Bloodborne if that kind of game appeals to you

Two good RPGs in Tales of Berseria and Persona 5 just came out this year

Play Bloodborne anyway since (anecdotally) a lot of people who didn't really get into dark souls seem to really like Bloodborne for some reason.

It's worth a shot at least.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
it also runs crossplatform stuff pretty well so if you have a bad pc you can play watchdogs 2, etc

i like killzone shadowfall but a lot of people don't :shrug:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

oh yeah and you should buy wipeout and puyo puyo tetris

mayben ot wupeout if you dont like racin'

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 21, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

corn in the bible posted:

the PS4 PRO has better graphics and can do 4k output, but all the non-pro ps4s are the same and you won't be losing out by having an old one. there's no pro exclusive games either, unlike the new 3ds.

if you're gonna go insane cause every game isnt 1080p60fps then don't buy it but otherwise it's perfectly fine!

You make it sound like devs are actually using the Pro for 60fps

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

"hi everyone I like to play a couple of sports games and battlefield, what are some games i'd like? no racing games please"

"oh here's a bunch of jrpgs. also, wipeout"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

"hi everyone I like to play a couple of sports games and battlefield, what are some games i'd like? no racing games please"

"oh here's a bunch of jrpgs. also, wipeout"

Waroduce posted:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

like, maybe titanfall 2 might've been a better place to start

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

like, maybe titanfall 2 might've been a better place to start

Can't really recommend games I haven't played and don't have any interest in playing

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

titanfall 2 has a real good single player campaign but it's also on pc so he might have played it already, i dunno

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Andrast posted:

Can't really recommend games I haven't played and don't have any interest in playing

You could simply... not recommend.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

You could simply... not recommend.

He asked for recommendations and said he likes "not racing games". I wasn't aware that all japanese games are racing games.

I recommended my favorite game on the system, Bloodborne.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

How about people just recommend games they like with the assumption that others are intelligent enough to research for themselves whether or not the recommendations would interest them. :)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Andrast posted:

I wasn't aware that all japanese games are racing games.
Turn in your gamercard, this is like basic knowledge.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Nina posted:

You make it sound like devs are actually using the Pro for 60fps

Didn't Nioh and Tomb Raider do this exact thing?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Rise of the Tomb Raider is locked to 30fps on the Pro, you need to pay out some serious PC $$$ to see Lara's hair lovingly rendered in 1440p @ 60fps.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can see ROTTR to 1080p60 on a Pro but then you get graphics equivalent to a non-pro.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
god bless u all thank u

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Wait did Eidos only get to keep the Hitman IP when they split earlier this month? I can understand Square-Enix wanting to keep Tomb Raider, what happened to Legacy of Kain IP? Is it just going to be stuck in limbo forever now?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

haveblue posted:

You can see ROTTR to 1080p60 on a Pro but then you get graphics equivalent to a non-pro.

The non-Pro still occasionally pulls off stuff that blows my tiny little mind (the shader work in Uncharted 4, for example) so this hardly seems like a bad thing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You should check out Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Future Tone if you like rhythm games. ps4 exclusive too

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

and if you like fighting games theres lots of great stuff: guilty gear rev 2, King of fighters XIV, blazblue central fiction, tekken 7, hell dead or alive 5 is even free

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Regy Rusty posted:

How about people just recommend games they like with the assumption that others are intelligent enough to research for themselves whether or not the recommendations would interest them. :)

this is some real "it might not be what you asked for but have you considered a song of ice and fire by george rr martin" poo poo right here

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

For anyone who is really into sports games I'd recommend Life is Strange. It has skateboarding, swimming AND football!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Recommend some games then instead of bitching about other people's recommendations

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cowcaster posted:

this is some real "it might not be what you asked for but have you considered a song of ice and fire by george rr martin" poo poo right here

a man falls through the earth and into parisian catacombs. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my nigga have u tried dark souls"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Honestly surprised nobody has said Knack yet

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sakurazuka posted:

I feel like the superficial similarities between Souls games and metroidvanias has a lot of people attempting to merge the two poorly and Hollow Knight is a victim of that.
However that's just the impression I get as I won't be playing it until the Switch version comes out.

When my job was at a point where I was basically mainlining podcasts 8 hours a day 5 days a week I jumped through a podcast dedicated to the Dark Souls games called Bonfireside Chat that eventually branched out into other soulslike games andit made for a really fascinating meta-narrative of the hosts going from being utterly in love with the original game to being so disappointed with 3 and burned out on crummy indie soulslikes that have a few good ideas but bungle everything else.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

I think in this particular instance you're being the bad poster

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

I'm sorry my recommendation of some of my favorite PS4 games has offended you so, please forgive me

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

what are you suppose to recommend to sports gamers that they don't already know. like rocket league

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Andrast posted:

Recommend some games then instead of bitching about other people's recommendations

rocket league
destiny
titanfall 2

maybe:
horizon zero dawn
uncharted 4
prey

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

why are multiple people complaining about game recs that the person who asked for them had no issue with lol

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

rocket league
destiny
titanfall 2

maybe:
horizon zero dawn
uncharted 4
prey

I can also vouch for Rocket League. It's really good.

Did they ever fix the PS4 port of Prey? I played it on PC (it's also really good) but heard bad things about the PS4 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cowcaster posted:

rocket league
destiny
titanfall 2

maybe:
horizon zero dawn
uncharted 4
prey

I love Destiny but there is no universe in which it's a stronger recommendation than those three. Especially now that it's been basically put out to pasture and the sequel comes out in three months.

• Locked thread