Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
She only knew "One, Two, Many, Lots"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

I've told this story before but I had a history teacher who couldn't pronounce any number over 100,000. The first time she flubbed one a few times so I tentatively said it correctly assuming it was just one of those things that happens. Like when you erase a typo then write it again the exact same way. From then on though she'd call on me to read out any number over 100,000 for her which was a lot of pressure because I'd have to pay attention instead of play snake on my phone. When we covered World War II it was a nightmare reading about the death toll not because of the horrific human tragedy but because there were so many big numbers.

My first grade teacher actually rapped my knuckles with a yard stick for impudently insisting that she was wrong about how the letter "X" was pronounced. She was teaching that the words "fox" and "box" were pronounced "fosk" and "bosk". To her logic, if they were pronounced the way that we all normally say them, they would be spelled "focks" or "bocks" instead of with an "X". That's when I learned to just go along with whatever and keep my mouth shut. It was also a grade school in rural Louisiana 30 something years ago.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BioEnchanted posted:

She only knew "One, Two, Many, Lots"

Detritus would probably be a smarter teacher.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mushika posted:

That's when I learned to just go along with whatever and keep my mouth shut. It was also a grade school in rural Louisiana 30 something years ago.

Yeah, the smartest thing you can ever do in primary and secondary education is just keep your head down and your drat mouth shut.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Found you guys some more human trash!
https://mobile.twitter.com/NoGazis/status/877486431354138624
Yw!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The fact that people with morally reprehensible ideas now proudly call themselves deplorable makes me wonder if I'm living in a children's book.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Almost like these people can't actually be defeated by playing nice, and explaining to them how the things they believe are hurtful.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I had an English teacher who constantly asked us how to spell words while he was writing in the board.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
In my English class our teacher had us spell 15 new words every week!!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
If you disagreed with my fourth grade teacher, she'd make you write a report on why you were right and present it to the class. It was pretty ingenious.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I had a math teacher that apparently was really brilliant but he just didn't give a poo poo. Sometimes he'd correct home assignments on the blackboard and if he noticed that he'd made a mistake somewhere and things were not working out, he just muttered "This one's trivial anyways." and wiped the blackboard clean. I did a lot of learning from books that year because all my teachers were trash in their own way.

Also having done some teaching during my PhD showed me just how much grades are made up bullshit.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yeah, the smartest thing you can ever do in primary and secondary education is just keep your head down and your drat mouth shut.

Grades are strongly influenced by the teacher's opinion of your intelligence. Sit in the front 2 rows and try to seem smart.

But not too smart, or the bullies will come for you. :ohdear:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Facebook Aunt posted:

Grades are strongly influenced by the teacher's opinion of your intelligence. Sit in the front 2 rows and try to seem smart.

But not too smart, or the bullies will come for you. :ohdear:

This is also true at work.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Pay me to tell you to sign up to MLM schemes! Each 'life coaching' session includes a COMPLIMENTARY signup under my Beachbody account!

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Tall Poppy Syndrome! It's beloved the world over!

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Oh my god this is 90% of the reason I did so well in high school. I was quiet and have an intelligent-sounding voice and good vocabulary. College was a bit harder than I was expecting.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
oh hey u guys wanted more LITERAL HUMAN GARBAGE right?? well here I am to the rescue. in the comments for the video of Philando's fiance being handcuffed after he was murdered, trapped with her terrified lil daughter who at one point begs her to be careful so she doesn't also get "SHOOTED"

these people do not deserve our empathy, understanding, explanations, etc. They're human trash. Watch the video and tell me you don't feel the same. Yeah, I'm angry, I'm real loving angry.

Useless Rabbit
Jan 27, 2009

Punkin Spunkin posted:

oh hey u guys wanted more LITERAL HUMAN GARBAGE right?? well here I am to the rescue. in the comments for the video of Philando's fiance being handcuffed after he was murdered, trapped with her terrified lil daughter who at one point begs her to be careful so she doesn't also get "SHOOTED"

these people do not deserve our empathy, understanding, explanations, etc. They're human trash. Watch the video and tell me you don't feel the same. Yeah, I'm angry, I'm real loving angry.

I'm confused. Is she saying it's not the correct video of the shooting or that the video itself is staged? I can understand the former with all the bullshit that gets posted on social media nowadays, but if she's claiming the latter, then she should throw herself through a plate glass window.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Gross Dude posted:

In my English class our teacher had us spell 15 new words every week!!

This was university. We weren't doing spelling tests, we were analyzing literature.

I also had a general education arts class where we were going to be "writing about images". I'm a photographer so I though it would be cool. It ended up being about memes. I had to chooses a meme to write about for our final exam so I chose Loss. The Cyanide and Happiness mockery of it, to be precise.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Picnic Princess posted:

This was university. We weren't doing spelling tests, we were analyzing literature.

I also had a general education arts class where we were going to be "writing about images". I'm a photographer so I though it would be cool. It ended up being about memes. I had to chooses a meme to write about for our final exam so I chose Loss. The Cyanide and Happiness mockery of it, to be precise.
I took a Mythology course for some GE requirement and our final exam was to write an essay about why Star Wars was an example of modern mythology. We had until the credits finished rolling on Empire Strikes Back to turn it in.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Maybe Republicans are right, maybe college IS a waste of money

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yawgmoth posted:

I took a Mythology course for some GE requirement and our final exam was to write an essay about why Star Wars was an example of modern mythology. We had until the credits finished rolling on Empire Strikes Back to turn it in.

That's just evil. How would you get anything done?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

She couldn't say "one hundred thousand and one" but could say all the other words separately and in other combinations? Was there just some kind of mental block?

SpacePig posted:

Would she say, like, millium and billium or something?

She'd mess it up by saying 126,000 as 100,026 and stuff like that. It was the first thing she did that got a laugh out of the class so I suspect it was more about winning us over as she was a student teacher than it was about a mortal fear of big numbers. We also had a teacher who got so mad with people yelling in class he told the class he'd write everything we yelled out down. Shockingly people instead of going mute started screaming that his mother was a prostitute. We were able to look at the sheet when he went off to the principal and he'd spelled prostitute wrong twice in different ways.

content:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Picnic Princess posted:

This sounds like how you get the class on modern cultural phenomenon, the meme, past whatever stodgy body is controlling how classes are listed. One of our religious studies professors was studying vampire cults, and the class on it was something really bland like "occult religions and alternative culture."

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They should really hire B-Movie producers to choose names for classes.

"Yeah I'm taking a class called LIMB FROM LIMB about the history of amputation and a biology class called ORGY OF THE BLOOD PARASITES"

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Jun 21, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tiggum posted:

I had a teacher in highschool who got the definitions of dependent and independent variables backwards somehow and told us the textbook was wrong. :downs:

Worst one I ever had was a geography teacher who couldn't tell New Zealand, Hawaii or Brazil apart on a map.

I live in Hawaii. We were in a Hawaiian public school. She could not find Hawaii on a map. She thought it was Brazill. Even the worst student in the class lost their poo poo laughing and telling her she was wrong so she doubled down and pointed to New Zealand saying that was Brazil, and that Brazil was Hawaii.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I remember the day I realized some of the teachers were dumber than the children. I was like 9 or 10, it was English class and the teacher kept insisting that the only correct word for thumb was "thumpkin" and that "bear" was pronounced in the same way as "beer".

I should stress that this was English as a second language and that this was a rather old teacher* but it was then I realized that teachers were not all knowing bastions of knowledge and some of them were even morons.

*though she was probably just middle aged and seemed ancient to kid me.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Jun 21, 2017

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

My sister was an english teacher (as in second language) and she pronouncing "focus" as "gently caress us" during her first months of teaching was the best thing ever :allears: She realized of her mistake later and her reaction was even funnier.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Desperado Bones posted:

My sister was an english teacher (as in second language) and she pronouncing "focus" as "gently caress us" during her first months of teaching was the best thing ever :allears: She realized of her mistake later and her reaction was even funnier.

I had a Russian film teacher who did this too. Couldn't stop talking about how great Citizen Kane's deep fuckus was.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

That stupid loving image of the wolves in Canada keeps popping up again, the one where it claims wolves are so smart because they put the weakest at the front of the line to set the pace.

Yeah, so smart, making the weakest do the hardest work by breaking the trail through snow up to their bellies. That won't kill them through exhaustion right away. Definitely a much better solution than getting the stronger ones to break the trail in order to allow easier travel for the older or smaller.

Not to mention there's actually no such thing as alpha wolves in wild packs. That was debunked years ago by the same guy who wrote the original paper that morons keep trying to apply to human beings today.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
In 9th grade English, I was asked to use the word "delivered" in a sentence. "He woke up with a splitting headache, in a bathtub full of ice, and suddenly realized he'd been delivered." I got detention. I thought I was funny.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If my kid ever gets detention for a pun that choice I'll have that teacher's job.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009

Desperado Bones posted:

pronouncing "focus" as "gently caress us"

My mom's Cuban nurse drives a gently caress Us and loves it. She wanted to know how it compard to our Fusion.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I got removed from an honors history course after politely correcting the teacher that the wehrmacht was not the German Air Force.
"I think you mean the Luftwaffe"
"No, the Wehrmacht was the AF. The Luftwaffe was a division in it."
"I'm pretty certain you are wrong on that."
Smugly, "Prove it."

When I came in the next day with a stack of history books and the glossary entries highlighted, he kicked me out if his class, and out of the honors history program.

In retrospect, I was probably a smug little poo poo about it. When I taught years later, I made sure to double check the notes for the lecture, and gave the students a chance to explain if they thought I was wrong -mike without being a dick.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

She'd mess it up by saying 126,000 as 100,026 and stuff like that. It was the first thing she did that got a laugh out of the class so I suspect it was more about winning us over as she was a student teacher than it was about a mortal fear of big numbers. We also had a teacher who got so mad with people yelling in class he told the class he'd write everything we yelled out down. Shockingly people instead of going mute started screaming that his mother was a prostitute. We were able to look at the sheet when he went off to the principal and he'd spelled prostitute wrong twice in different ways.

content:

Innumeracy (the inability to do simple everyday mathematics, like calculating change or estimating the price of a single item in a pack) is surprisingly common. I don't know if there are any formal studies of its prevalence, but it's estimated to be at least as common as illiteracy, which affects 15% of the American population.

Also some psychologists believe that there may be a mathematical counterpart to dyslexia, where people simply can't comprehend written numbers and equations.

I'd like to think that that sort of thing would be caught before the person had earned a teaching credential but that's not how the American educational system works

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 00:53 on Jun 22, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Picnic Princess posted:

That stupid loving image of the wolves in Canada keeps popping up again, the one where it claims wolves are so smart because they put the weakest at the front of the line to set the pace.

Yeah, so smart, making the weakest do the hardest work by breaking the trail through snow up to their bellies. That won't kill them through exhaustion right away. Definitely a much better solution than getting the stronger ones to break the trail in order to allow easier travel for the older or smaller.

Not to mention there's actually no such thing as alpha wolves in wild packs. That was debunked years ago by the same guy who wrote the original paper that morons keep trying to apply to human beings today.

It works for wolves in captivity, and captivity describes the discourse bubble and basements "alphas" have contained themselves to.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Robot Style posted:

I had a Russian film teacher who did this too. Couldn't stop talking about how great Citizen Kane's deep fuckus was.

I have a French friend who says it like this (also, he's offered each of us "diet cock"), and we've made a joke of it to the point that today in traffic, I was stuck behind a Ford Focus, and kept saying "gently caress you, fuckus!"

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

FreudianSlippers posted:

and that "bear" was pronounced in the same way as "beer".

Isn't it?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Maybe if you're Aussie or Kiwi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

If you live somewhere where there are bears, you don't want to shout "bear!" and have your buddy think you want another beer.