Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
From what they've told us it's just the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Imagined posted:

Is there better/more/different loot in hard mode, or is it just kicking yourself in the nuts for shits n giggles?

I think the worst is going to be the plateau and early game. Dealing exclusively with blue bokos with only crapass clubs seems like it will be a drag.

I don't expect it since they haven't said a single thing, but i hope there is some sort of randomization or redo of shrines. Knowing where poo poo is means beelining for climbers gear.

What are the tiers to monsters anyway?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

frodnonnag posted:

I think the worst is going to be the plateau and early game. Dealing exclusively with blue bokos with only crapass clubs seems like it will be a drag.

maybe they'll drop better weapons

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

frodnonnag posted:

I don't expect it since they haven't said a single thing, but i hope there is some sort of randomization or redo of shrines. Knowing where poo poo is means beelining for climbers gear.

What are the tiers to monsters anyway?

Red>Blue>Black>Silver>(presumably) Gold

Lizalfos have elemental varients that seem to be around the Black range in terms of health/damage. Fire, Ice, Thunder.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

frodnonnag posted:

Yeah, the kind of silly thing about this game is that it not only gets easier as it goes on, but the level of danger drops off a cliff. Upgraded armor does so much to mitigate damage that endgame enemies end up doing a pittance of damage, and defense up food makes even the small amount that gets through absolutely trivial. Add to that that you're likely sitting on literally hundreds of hearts worth of instant healing and several 5 heart revives in the forms of fairies and the game loses all challenge.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Reinanigans posted:

Red>Blue>Black>Silver>(presumably) Gold

Lizalfos have elemental varients that seem to be around the Black range in terms of health/damage. Fire, Ice, Thunder.

The thunder ones are the only real issue, however, considering the other two kinds can be one-shot with the opposite element.

I haven't seen any indication that the leveled up enemies won't have better loot. It'd make sense for them to have higher-level drops, otherwise you'll likely wind up breaking all your low-level poo poo on an enemy without actually being able to kill it. Presumably, gold enemies will carry enchanted weapons.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I can really only see Gold enemies having different weapons. I'm also imagining it just won't be worth your time to fight things unless they have decent stuff for you to grab.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Actually, I think the early game will be about the same. Assuming the blue enemies carry equivalent weapons (spiked boko clubs, etc.), you're going to get better weapons to fight the higher HP enemies. The only real difference is that you'll get one-shotted more often. In terms of killing speed, though, I don't think that will change a whole lot.

As for Gold enemies, I'm not sure what they could drop that would make them any more worthwhile to kill than silver. Also, Guardians don't have "tiers" so unless they just ramped up the HP, I'm not sure how they could get a lot harder. If you can shield parry, you've won.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Something you can do with all that extra meat you hunted is drop it in bundles of 5 around a fire and make Seared Steaks out of them. This way you can have basically an infinite amount of generic healing items that stack in one slot in your meals inventory, and you can focus on filling the rest of your meals inventory with dishes that have other utility.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the trailer showed bokoblins flying around on octorock balloon rafts so I think (hope) the enemy upgrade involves more than just higher hp and better loot

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spergatory posted:

I'm so annoyed at the Tingle set bonus. Not because it's redundant (though it is), but because it makes no goddamn sense. The Sheikah set bonus, I could understand. You're a ninja, you sneak better at night, why not get a speed boost. Same with Dark Link. He's a creature of darkness, he should be stronger at night.

But Tingle? Tingle? What in the ever-living gently caress does Tingle have to do with night time?

Yeah, it's pretty lazy, they should have made it so that you glide further/faster.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, it's pretty lazy, they should have made it so that you glide further/faster.

Yes! gently caress, it's so obvious.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
Or invoke some sort of 10-second balloon backpack that lets you take larger leaps? The game engine seems suited for such flexibility. Disappointing considering this DLC had been planned for a while. It's not like they only had 3 months to get it right.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I legit think Nintendo is trying to avoid accusations of hiding anything (besides the cosmetics of it) behind the paywall

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I can understand not wanting to put it on an amiibo cause a lot of people aren't into those, but isn't the point of dlc paying for new stuff?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Why is such a big deal made about the Master Sword when you don't even need to use it to defeat Ganon? Sure you don't need to get it if you don't want to but I just find it weird how it's built up to be so legendary and as "the sword that seals the darkness" when you just use the lightbow instead anyway.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Tradition really. Same reason it almost always has to be Ganon (or someone related to him) and Zelda (or someone related to her) in the mainline games. Majora's mask of course being the outlier.

Or maybe they just don't think consumers would like other cool powerful magical swords?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Frankston posted:

Why is such a big deal made about the Master Sword when you don't even need to use it to defeat Ganon? Sure you don't need to get it if you don't want to but I just find it weird how it's built up to be so legendary and as "the sword that seals the darkness" when you just use the lightbow instead anyway.
When used in the right place against the right things, it's a bitchin 60 attack Sword, that doesn't completely break, that has a buff that reduces the speed of deterioration.

I prefer that they leave you the freedom of using anything including a mop or a spring loaded hammer with a goofy effect on the final boss anyways, and just leave the sword of legends as a bitchin weapon you can choose to have.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

..............how does one get the goofy hammer?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kilton sells it

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Frankston posted:

Look, Link is basically a knight of the Round Table with a dash of Aragorn thrown in. It just doesn't work without a fancy magic sword.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

..............how does one get the goofy hammer?

Kilton sells it. e: goddammit

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Pretty sad about the tingle outfit just being night speed but I'll take it i guess. Not gonna stop me from using bombs and balloons only

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I was really disappointed with the spring loaded hammer when I bought it

I was expecting enemies to fly way farther :sigh:

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Kaubocks posted:

I was really disappointed with the spring loaded hammer when I bought it

I was expecting enemies to fly way farther :sigh:

Me too. I used it a couple of times, dropped it so I could get a pic for the compendium and left it behind.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

DJCobol posted:

Me too. I used it a couple of times, dropped it so I could get a pic for the compendium and left it behind.

When I had it, I reserved it for use on skeletal mobs, who only need a single point of damage to body and head to die. I'd bomb them instead, but juggling bomb types and cool down is annoying.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Majora's Mask amiibo in a couple days! :holy:

save-scumming four times tho... :suicide:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I would assume Gold enemies would have their own tier of weapons like every other enemy color, so there's that.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

.TakaM posted:

Majora's Mask amiibo in a couple days! :holy:

save-scumming four times tho... :suicide:
I'm 3 star fragments from upgrading all the BOTW gear. Still haven't fought ganon lots more lynel and hinox hunting for me from this amiibo (only one in getting from this wave). I might wait to beat ganon till I'm dressed like fierce deity. It'll be just like overpowering Majora.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Augus posted:

I would assume Gold enemies would have their own tier of weapons like every other enemy color, so there's that.

Like I said above, they could get away when just giving gold enemies enchanted/elemental weapons. They're stronger than their numbers would have you believe, and they're especially effective in enemy hands because elemental damage bypasses armor. You'll always take at least 3-4 hearts of damage from an elemental weapon unless you're wearing specific elemental armor.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Just explored Typhlo Ruins, and I was legitimately nervous the whole time, even when I was spinning to winning against the Hinox

Also super disappointed that there was nothing on Mekar Island.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
There's no unique shrine or loot there but try visiting it at night.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I visited the ruins a lot earlier, before I learned spin to win. I had to keep the ridge between me and the Hinox and plinked away at him with arrows. I think that was just the second Hinox I had faced at that point.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

It's fun if you bring some meteor rods, grass and other poo poo will light on fire.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I finally bought a switch and got this game and I'm like ten hours in and wandering around aimlessly. I have triumphed over the robot elephant so far and am just dicking around now. What are some things I should do to make my life easier.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Argue posted:

There's no unique shrine or loot there but try visiting it at night.

I just did this to see what was there. Interesting, but I was surprised there wasn't even a Korok there

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Bushiz posted:

I finally bought a switch and got this game and I'm like ten hours in and wandering around aimlessly. I have triumphed over the robot elephant so far and am just dicking around now. What are some things I should do to make my life easier.

Do the robot bird in the northwest, makes life a lot easier.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bushiz posted:

Did you find the inventory expansion NPC?
Have you done the bits at the Ancient Tech Lab and upgraded your runes afterwards? (Also there's really good armor if you have enough Guardian drop to make it at the other ancient tech lab, but that'll probably take a while.)
The best of the Divine Beast powers, imo, is the bird dude's one, which is a giant jump. So if you want that, go do bird dude village.
If you're ever running low on weapons, there's a Colosseum near Hyrule Castle that has a Lynel and a bunch of Bokos/Moblins that have relatively good weapon drops for whatever stage of the game you're at (they do get outclassed at the very end but only then.)

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Also the coliseum is good because it has enemies with every different type of elemental weapon, so if you ever find yourself needing a fire, ice, or thunder weapon, just go there

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

You'll die a lot at first, but save just before meeting a Lynel or Guardian Stalker (or just after, because it resets them), and practice parrying their strikes. You can repeat for other enemies, of course, but those are the ones that give people tons of trouble, and parrying doesn't use up durability of the shield.

For Lynels specifically, parry and then immediately shoot them in the face with an arrow (the sweet spot is on the lower left of their head from your perspective). This stuns them and you can hop on their back (go near and press A to mount) and use your most damaging weapon for 5 free hits that don't hurt durability at all. When you master fighting them (which is good to do to upgrade the armor you get from the mazes), you'll only use up durability on your bows (and each one of them has a new bow you can take) and use up arrows (and they typically have multiple arrows). Also, keep in mind that if you have the parrying timing down, every single attack (including fireballs and explosions) can be parried, which briefly stuns them.

For Guardians specifically, they typically try to stay at a distance away from you where you will want to hit the parry button just after (not on) the audio and visual signal that they are going to shoot. Doing this three times will kill them for their sweet loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Speaking of elemental weapons and magic rods...I get why they didn't want to just let you buy or repair weapons, but it would have been cool if there were some kind of wizard or blacksmith character who would let you combine like knight's broadsword with red chu jelly to make a flameblade. Or a torch, rubies, and chu jelly to make a meteor rod.

I just really want more meteor rods next time.