Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

It's pretty common for those size batteries to be unsealed, like many lawn/garden batteries. They are essentially in suspended animation until you wet the cells, so you can keep them in stock/storage basically forever.

Elephanthead posted:

For some reason, (probably shipping) none of the big box kits have the acid in the battery. It comes as an acid kit and an empty battery. Thanks Obama.

There you go, I assumed everything residential had moved to gel cells so you didn't have home owners mucking around with acid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

H110Hawk posted:

There you go, I assumed everything residential had moved to gel cells so you didn't have home owners mucking around with acid.

I only spilled a little bit on myself. I'm sure the scarring will fade eventually.

Now I have a bunch of (diluted) acid sitting around that I'm not 100% what to do with. Pour it in a coffee can with baking soda, probably.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Batteries going bad on the shelf is apparently still more expensive than the acid spill lawsuits. (you know this is probably the actual calculation used)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Batteries going bad on the shelf is apparently still more expensive than the acid spill lawsuits. (you know this is probably the actual calculation used)

Even industrial applications are moving to sealed lead batteries, but I guess those have easily forecasted supply chains so they don't wind up letting the first year of their life dissolve on the shelf. (Which reduces the total Ah of the battery even more.) Stuff in motion is even going to lithium where adding water is the last thing you'll do.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
turns out my toilet line is leaking somewhere between the second floor and the basement, and it isn't the wax ring, oh boy

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Bozart posted:

turns out my toilet line is leaking somewhere between the second floor and the basement, and it isn't the wax ring, oh boy

How lovely.

Thread Title chat!: Looking for a recommendation for a natural gas grill, want to pick something up during 4th of July sales. Only one I've seen on sale so far is one at home depot that's not in stock to look at and i've never heard of the brand...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo-5-Burner-Natural-Gas-Grill-with-Side-Burner-and-Rotisserie-Burner-DGA550SSN-D/205210037

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Weber offers their grills in propane or NG configurations. Probably not going to find NG in stock anywhere.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I bought my NG Weber off Amazon, 2-day shipping with Prime.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

I bought my NG Weber off Amazon, 2-day shipping with Prime.

Which model? I'm trying to figure out feature set I GAF about. Thinking:
Medium Grill top size
Dedicated 'searing station'

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hughlander posted:

Which model? I'm trying to figure out feature set I GAF about. Thinking:
Medium Grill top size
Dedicated 'searing station'

Was a Summit 470, a silly indulgence. Left it behind when we moved, sold to the next tenants for a song.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

brugroffil posted:

Weber offers their grills in propane or NG configurations. Probably not going to find NG in stock anywhere.

If you live where NG is common Lowes will have them in stock. Florida, nope, Indiana yep.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I love our Weber spirit propane but yeah, Amazon will sell you whatever version you want to assemble yourself. Some assembly required, I used power tools and it took me a little over an hour.

It was fun.

I nearly went with an NG grill but propane hasn't been an issue.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

gently caress everything about a loving smart home I'm done with this poo poo

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Pryor on Fire posted:

That's my opinion before even sticking my dick in this particular beehive.

Guys, is there a consensus of whether it's worth getting a paint sprayer? I just closed and I am not in love with a bright yellow living room or half the other goddamn rooms.

Would a few paint rollers be more reasonable? I want to do this pretty quickly and not hate myself.

Additionally, was there ever a conclusion to paint-chat earlier? I'm hoping for recommendations and I'm overwhelmed by the amount of poo poo that suddenly found itself on my plate. Plus, the ladyfriend wants a puppy. :hb:

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Guys, is there a consensus of whether it's worth getting a paint sprayer? I just closed and I am not in love with a bright yellow living room or half the other goddamn rooms.

I don't know if there's a consensus, but I would never spray inside my house because it makes a huge mess. Just buy some rollers.

As far as paint brands, I use both Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore and they are both good quality paints.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Hey guys, first time home owner here. I've had little white granules blowing out of my vents at the top floor of my home. Called an HVAC dude and they checked around the attic and came to the conclusion that its the stuff pictured here:

He suspects its an old type of insulation. House was built in the 50s, so not sure what it could be. Looks like sand but definitely feels gritty and smooshes.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Deckit posted:

Hey guys, first time home owner here. I've had little white granules blowing out of my vents at the top floor of my home. Called an HVAC dude and they checked around the attic and came to the conclusion that its the stuff pictured here:

He suspects its an old type of insulation. House was built in the 50s, so not sure what it could be. Looks like sand but definitely feels gritty and smooshes.

Sorry about your future mesothelioma

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Deckit posted:

Long-shot, but is it possible it's old diatomaceous earth? Is there evidence of insect damage around there?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Cannon_Fodder posted:

That's my opinion before even sticking my dick in this particular beehive.

Would a few paint rollers be more reasonable? I want to do this pretty quickly and not hate myself.

Additionally, was there ever a conclusion to paint-chat earlier? I'm hoping for recommendations and I'm overwhelmed by the amount of poo poo that suddenly found itself on my plate. Plus, the ladyfriend wants a puppy. :hb:

sprayers are great for say repainting doors in the garage, mass amounts of new trim in the garage, repainting a cabinet or vanity, etc.

I'd never try to use one indoors. I'd imagine they're just way too messy. Get good at cutting in corners and edges without painter's tape, which is the biggest PITA part of the job. Rolling out the walls is the easy part.

And spend the money for good paint. Cheap stuff will look like garbage and require more coats than good stuff, so you end up spending just as much money and twice as much time.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 23, 2017

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

brugroffil posted:

sprayers are great for say repainting doors in the garage, mass amounts of new trim in the garage, repainting a cabinet or vanity, etc.

Agreed 1000%. We replaced all of our interior doors last spring and the paint sprayer was clutch in getting a good coating in, definitely would not recommend it for interior walls, though. I'd go roller all the way, there.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Deckit posted:

Perlite?

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Higgy posted:

:/

That's what I was thinking but it might just be age because of how different it looks.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Long-shot, but is it possible it's old diatomaceous earth? Is there evidence of insect damage around there?

Looking at the pictures for that, that might be what it is! I didn't see any insect damage, but according to wikipedia it was used as an insulator.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Pryor on Fire posted:

Sometimes I get tempted by smart home thingies, but then I remember that I have no desire to computer janitor my lightbulbs.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I ended up hiring a painter and it came to $3k for the whole house. It's a 3 story 2000 sq ft row home with a 500 saw foot finished basement and a lot of high ceilings going up the stairs so I'm happy with it. It would have taken me forever to paint myself, I don't have the time, and I don't want to live in a house with lovely flesh colored walls for any amount of time. The paint consensus seemed to be Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore, but the paint is real cheap compared to the labor regardless, so might as well go for the good stuff. Now when I move in Monday/Tuesday I will have a freshly painted home that I like.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Sherwin Williams also having a sale so I got 14 gallons of the Cashmere line for $500ish

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Paint feels like such a huge scam to me. Like $35 a gallon for paint is a good price? It probably costs all of fifty cents a gallon to manufacture.

brb starting a new paint company

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Higgy posted:

Yeah I wouldn't mess around with that any more without a respirator / washing your clothing after to not carry dust around. Even perlite you are supposed to wear a mask while you mix.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
How can I build a floating wooden deck on top of my fiberglass roof deck? I'd like to do this because it'll look nicer than the coated fiberglass, protect the roof, and most importantly level out the slope of the roof so it's more usable. Right now all the furniture doesn't sit right, like you're being ejected from the seat you're in. And my dog is eventually going to drop a tennis ball into the gutter somehow.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Paint feels like such a huge scam to me. Like $35 a gallon for paint is a good price? It probably costs all of fifty cents a gallon to manufacture.

brb starting a new paint company

There is a huge difference between lovely paint and good paint, so they must be doing something different that is too expensive for the cheap brands to bother with. Otherwise lovely home depot paint for $10 a gallon should be just as good.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

The Behr poo poo I've been using is like $40/gallon, but I don't have to prime even over dark colors.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Story time! I moved into my home around 3 years ago and my living room was, in fact, bright yellow :v:

The home did not have AC at the time, and I realized there would be no better time to do a living room with fresh paint (about 1,000 sq. ft) than before I moved in a bunch of furniture.

It was 93-99, and thank god I had my apartment for another week so that I could go home and have some relief, because painting without air conditioning during the summer is fuckin' miserable. If you're planning on tackling this yourself and don't have some cooling options, I would say a paint sprayer may be a good choice.

By hour 3 on day 2 of painting that living room I was pretty sure I was close to heatstroke, and yeah well never doing that again lol

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Ghostnuke posted:

The Behr poo poo I've been using is like $40/gallon, but I don't have to prime even over dark colors.

Are you talking about their Marquee paint? We changed a dark red room to very light grey and that stuff was awesome. One coat, no primer, and used less paint.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Smart homes seem incredibly not worth the time, effort or money and it still astounds me that people actually pour money into this poo poo.

This is said as someone who does IT for a living. I could do the work, sure, but gently caress that nonsense. At least centralize this instead of every company wanting to do their stupid implementation.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Eh, theres some fairly simple stuff that I have found useful and pretty easy. For example, my living room has no switched lighting, we use 4 lamps to illuminate it. I set up an Insteon wall switch that controls a lamp module I put on each lamp and now I can control the lights from the hall. Hell of a lot better than walking a circle around the room turning each lamp individually as you go.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Kirios posted:

Smart homes seem incredibly not worth the time, effort or money and it still astounds me that people actually pour money into this poo poo.

This is said as someone who does IT for a living. I could do the work, sure, but gently caress that nonsense. At least centralize this instead of every company wanting to do their stupid implementation.

my boss is building a house and the smart home package started at 15k.

anything beyond immediately increases the price by at least 5k.

I'm just thinking... uh, nah.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

The Dave posted:

Are you talking about their Marquee paint? We changed a dark red room to very light grey and that stuff was awesome. One coat, no primer, and used less paint.

That's the one. Expensive, but it works.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Would a few paint rollers be more reasonable?

People covered high quality paint, but buy high quality brushes and rollers as well, then learn how to take care of them. The expensive perdy roller handle is totally worth it over the home depot cheap one, same with the rollers themselves, Wooster brushes, etc. Buy a screw on broom handle if you don't have one and need to do high areas, your roller handle will screw onto it allowing you to do ceilings and such. For your paint tray buy double the number of plastic liners you think you need, plus one.

Then buy a package of very small, cheapest paint brushes harbor freight sells for misc bullshit which will come up in a week.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Five gallon bucket with a roller screen over paint tray imo

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

H110Hawk posted:

People covered high quality paint, but buy high quality brushes and rollers as well, then learn how to take care of them. The expensive perdy roller handle is totally worth it over the home depot cheap one, same with the rollers themselves, Wooster brushes, etc. Buy a screw on broom handle if you don't have one and need to do high areas, your roller handle will screw onto it allowing you to do ceilings and such. For your paint tray buy double the number of plastic liners you think you need, plus one.

Then buy a package of very small, cheapest paint brushes harbor freight sells for misc bullshit which will come up in a week.

Seconding this, I have a couple Zibra brushes, I think they may be polyester, that are amazing and I spend a lot of time cleaning them up to keep them that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Ladies, gents, milestone hit.

I bought 2 new sinks and some painter's tape. I'm officially improving my new house. I couldn't be more pumped despite knowing how annoying this is all going to be.