Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I've kind of been kind of skipping around this thread so I might have missed this being posted about earlier, but I just learned that Alaska might be shutting down:

http://juneauempire.com/state/2017-06-18/alaska-remains-course-statewide-shutdown-second-special-session-begins

Which, yeah, seems pretty bad.

The perfect excuse for Trump to sell it off to Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Lightning Lord posted:

Whenever Democrats lose, it causes us to weep and cry for aeons and consider never voting again. How do we fight this?

I don't think this is really any kind of large scale problem. GA-06 was played as a winnable seat and we lost. People are going to be pissed about that and desperately trying to convince them that it's actually a good thing isn't going to accomplish anything. Nobody will still be demoralized over this in a year and a half, and that's all that really matters.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Pollyanna posted:

Cool, the votes really were rigged.

Naw the article says some were targeted and only a small number may have been compromised.

I'd like a more concrete analysis on the actual effect. Regardless, this is pretty huge - it seems like attacking the voting system is an act of war, and it certainly impacts the investigation.

If it turns out Trump's campaign knew about this, it would be straight-up treason wouldn't it?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I've kind of been kind of skipping around this thread so I might have missed this being posted about earlier, but I just learned that Alaska might be shutting down:

http://juneauempire.com/state/2017-06-18/alaska-remains-course-statewide-shutdown-second-special-session-begins

Which, yeah, seems pretty bad.

They need to take tips from wyoming and turn all that oil and gas revenue into giant surpluses. Seems like horrible mismanagement on their part.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Pollyanna posted:

Cool, the votes really were rigged.

The Article You're Commenting On posted:

Senate intelligence committee chairman Richard Burr asked if any evidence votes were changed by these Russian cyber efforts, all three witnesses -- Liles, Manfra, and FBI Assistant Director for Counterintelligence Priestap -- all said "no sir."

Read the article maybe? Although in truth, I'm not entirely sure whether the 'no sir' implies 'Russia did not influence the outcome' or simply 'Russia did not hack vote counting machines'. If it's the latter, it doesn't rule out 'Russia messed with voter registration/some other means of altering the outcome''.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Paradoxish posted:

I don't think this is really any kind of large scale problem. GA-06 was played as a winnable seat and we lost. People are going to be pissed about that and desperately trying to convince them that it's actually a good thing isn't going to accomplish anything. Nobody will still be demoralized over this in a year and a half, and that's all that really matters.

And I honestly think that the "either we win or nothing matters" isn't a sentiment that overshadows the political spectrum at large, beyond this thread or other parts of the internet. This isn't going to change anything about how people in general feel about Trump or the GOP agenda.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hanales posted:

You know what dude. We're on ObamaCare. My wife is battling cancer. We are being destroyed financially and healthwise by them loving with plans and not actually fixing things. Healthcare is my primary concern throughout this election and everything else. I'm actually effected unlike most of you sadbrained trolls, and yet somehow I can still look at things realistically and critically without talking like the world is ending every five seconds. So gently caress off with all of it and post real content, you and all the rest of the broke brained dimwits.

Why are you assuming that I'm not actually impacted by this?

Xombie posted:

You are the very caricature of "ivory tower liberal" that has made the blue collar constituency abandon the Democratic party.

Ah yes, clearly what really hurt the blue collar voters with Democrats is people talking about how things are genuinely really bad and there is a pressing need to fix things. That's a very logical analysis backed up by actual evidence there.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Dems need to find an extreme Russian stooge that they can pretend will be running in 2020. That will make the GOP care about the Russian hacking.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Even if they didn't change the outcome (odds are they didn't) the fact there may have been attempts to infiltrate is A Big Deal

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

hanales posted:

They need to take tips from wyoming and turn all that oil and gas revenue into giant surpluses. Seems like horrible mismanagement on their part.

The state wouldn't be in this mess had Parnell not given $2Bn back to his employers back before the price crash and now no matter what the new leadership does they'll be blamed for the consequences of that decision.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

hanales posted:

Because that is working out so well for Wyoming right now.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe
hey we lost last night and it ruined my marriage gently caress u america

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, I do. Call me when it actually leads to a win or to the GOP changing their plans an iota or when it seems remotely likely this will continue to last until 2018 instead of the Democratic voters finding a reason not to vote.

The Democrats lost despite pushing tons of money into it. They got nothing out of it.

No, I don't actually believe the GOP would be doing all this if they thought there would be actual consequences, or at least not all of them. There are going to be die-hards no matter what but they don't need to lose that many.
Man you are just so hopeless, I don't think anything can make you happy.

if someone changes your avatar again are you just going to end it all?

ImpAtom posted:

No it isn't.

The people who keep clinging to optimism and "it's going to be okay, it's just SADBRAINS" are actively damaging. They don't actually have an iota of empathy for the people who are looking at either losing every bit of money they have or dying in the upcoming years. Half the posts in this thread are people being super smug and happy that people are upset and unhappy about the fact they are going to probably die and calling those people 'sadbrains' and broken. I'm not particularly sure why I should read that as anything but sheer delight over the suffering of others because those others aren't going "This is good news... for the DEMOCRATIC PARTY" after the Democrats threw money hand over fist into a lost race. The argument wants to at once be "it was close, they could have won" and "Well they never really could have won in the first place, why would you expect that?"
lol gently caress you you moron, my family and I are DEFINITELY affected by all this but giving up does nothing but let the GOP get away with even worse poo poo. Stay mad. Get more people informed, involved, and mad. Don't be this hopeless waste online.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Star Man posted:

Because that is working out so well for Wyoming right now.

Have they lost their surplus? Last I checked they had enough money to run the government for like 5 years in a rainy day fund.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Thanks for proving my point about how you're more interested in being snide and smug than anything else though.

if you're unhappy with people being snide and smug about politics why are you posting in this thread? take some responsibility for yourself you child

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Why are you assuming that I'm not actually impacted by this?

Because you sure as poo poo have been. My mom just had a mastectomy. Without the federal marketplace she wouldn't have insurance, and without that insurance she wouldn't have even gone in for screening and caught her cancer as early as she did. poo poo she probably would have been like my uncle, putting off screening until it's potentially metastatic.

Ossoff's loss is not the best outcome, but it's not a disaster. Democrats are outperforming by 8 percentage points across the nation. That could be higher, but it is a start and sometimes yeah you take what you can get. That's not optimism, that's a realistic assessment of the situation. There is poo poo to be done but you and other people in this thread like you keep bringing up that people will die without this coverage as if, yeah, we don't loving know that.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm not sadbraining anyone... I just think going "All is lost, time to die" in response to GA-6 is what the MAGAHats want. Demoralization is a kind of voter suppression.

This. The "Nothing matters" fuckers are doing the work of the MAGAs.

Ossoff had enough people fired up to bring a red seat down to a dead heat. They did a lot of things right resulting in a large turn out and a lot of people got motivated beyond just casting a vote.

Getting people fired up like this is exactly what they need to win. Someone had posted a poll breaking down the demographics and the middle aged and younger people broke pretty hard for Ossoff. The demographics are already here, you just need a little bit more tuning to get the result we want.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The GA-6 election is over and done with. The results suck, but can we talk about something else?

Like this, for instance: http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/21/politics/russia-hacking-hearing-states-targeted/index.html

I will say it again, don't do electronic voting. I will post it again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3_0x6oaDmI

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

hey we lost last night and it ruined my marriage gently caress u america

Nice rap sheet.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

ImpAtom posted:

Ah yes, clearly what really hurt the blue collar voters with Democrats is people talking about how things are genuinely really bad and there is a pressing need to fix things. That's a very logical analysis backed up by actual evidence there.

All your "caring" by demanding people nurse your fragile ego while you commit ascetic flagellation hasn't helped anyone one bit, ImpAtom. Least of all you.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Richard Keatley Would Have Won.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
also, democrats are performing an average 8% higher in these elections against literally everything the GOP can throw at them. Have you SEEN the smear campaign directed at Ossoff? Outright lies, accusations of terrorist leanings, not to mention having huge support from out of state up to and including the president himself to push GOP voter turnout in an already heavily red. That it was still that close is pretty shocking.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ImpAtom posted:

No it isn't.

The people who keep clinging to optimism and "it's going to be okay, it's just SADBRAINS" are actively damaging. They don't actually have an iota of empathy for the people who are looking at either losing every bit of money they have or dying in the upcoming years. Half the posts in this thread are people being super smug and happy that people are upset and unhappy about the fact they are going to probably die and calling those people 'sadbrains' and broken. I'm not particularly sure why I should read that as anything but sheer delight over the suffering of others because those others aren't going "This is good news... for the DEMOCRATIC PARTY" after the Democrats threw money hand over fist into a lost race. The argument wants to at once be "it was close, they could have won" and "Well they never really could have won in the first place, why would you expect that?"

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Things honestly went to crap after all the permabans

We who are left are the ones who didn't feel like going all in, it makes a certain kind of sense.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xombie posted:

And I honestly think that the "either we win or nothing matters" isn't a sentiment that overshadows the political spectrum at large, beyond this thread or other parts of the internet. This isn't going to change anything about how people in general feel about Trump or the GOP agenda.

I agree, but I'm also sympathetic to people who want to use these losses as a jumping off point for discussions about why we lost and what can be done differently in the future. It may not change anything, but it feels more productive than insisting that every loss is actually a win.

That said, in my perfect world these special elections would have never gotten this level of media attention in the first place and we'd all be ignoring GA-06 just like we're ignoring SC-05.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The argument wants to at once be "it was close, they could have won" and "Well they never really could have won in the first place, why would you expect that?"

But enough about Bernie.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Skippy Granola posted:

Even if they didn't change the outcome (odds are they didn't) the fact there may have been attempts to infiltrate is A Big Deal

The only thing that makes something a Big Deal is how many posts pop up in this thread when news of it breaks :drum:

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Xibanya posted:

We who are left are the ones who didn't feel like going all in, it makes a certain kind of sense.

We were left behind from the Clinton Rapture and now must post in a doomed forum controlled by roving bands of sadbrains.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

The only thing that makes something a Big Deal is how many posts pop up in this thread when news of it breaks :drum:

By-election = HYOOG

Possible cyber attack by a hostile foreign actor = NO SHUT UP GA-6 IS HYOOG

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm requesting a Trump tweet. It doesn't have to be atrocious, just his usual dumb bragging.

Thank you

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

hanales posted:

Have they lost their surplus? Last I checked they had enough money to run the government for like 5 years in a rainy day fund.

lol no they won't use the rainy day fund for ~*~reasons~*~

Instead, all they're doing is slashing funds, laying people off, freezing hiring to everything except for the department of corrections and the University of Wyoming, selling public land, and praying that coal and oil prices go back up to what they were eight years ago.

I'm of the opinion that the state could be a leader in nuclear power development because there is probably more uranium in Wyoming than any other one state in the country, but the Wyoming government's corporate masters in fossil fuels won't allow it. Wyoming's largest contributor to state funds is energy royalties from mining, followed by sales tax. And if people in coal and oil aren't working, then they're not spending money to generate sales tax revenue. There is nothing for the state to fall back on and all those people that moved here looking for any kind of work during the recession have packed up and left if they are able to.

I live in Riverton and there are houses all over the loving place that are for sale that will probably never get sold and if they do, I doubt it will be what the seller thinks they'll get. I guess Lander is faring okay, but that's because the town is more white collar and no one says "I hate Lander because there are too many Indians" like they do about Riverton. Cheyenne might be going through some growth as people who don't like the cost of living in Colorado are slowly migrating there and commuting all the way to Fort Collins for work.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

lol gently caress you you moron, my family and I are DEFINITELY affected by all this but giving up does nothing but let the GOP get away with even worse poo poo. Stay mad. Get more people involved. Get more people informed. Don't be this hopeless sadbrain waste online.

Please post where I said "give up." or "Stop trying" or "be sad." Would you like me to link to the multiple times I've said here or elsewhere "volunteer" or "protest" or 'get angry and treat this like a serious situation." I'm not saying anyone should give up and mean exactly the opposite.

TGLT posted:

Because you sure as poo poo have been. My mom just had a mastectomy. Without the federal marketplace she wouldn't have insurance, and without that insurance she wouldn't have even gone in for screening and caught her cancer as early as she did. poo poo she probably would have been like my uncle, putting off screening until it's potentially metastatic.

I am on Obamacare. I also have an incredible serious stomach issue in the last year which came very close to leaving me non-functional and required surgery that even with Obamacare left me with incredibly heavy medical bills and which requires ongoing treatment and medication to leave me functional. I am genuinely and wholeheartedly terrified of what is going to happen in the next year not because it will impact me, personally, on a very significant level. This is in addition to other medical issues including multiple scoliosis which has gotten worse as I've gotten older and leaves me frequently in crippling pain. I don't particularly want to go into every goddamn problem my lovely failing body has in this thread but if you're looking for me to admit "I care about this because it will impact me, personally," then yes, it does, in addition to friends and family members. (That multiple scoliosis is something both my father and sister have too, in addition to countless other problems including the big C in my family.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 21, 2017

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
the worst loving thing about the ossoff loss is that i now have that horrible pre-trap music track by drama stuck in my head today

left, left, left, left, left right lefAAHUGFDSFHJ

thanks boner_confessor

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

ImpAtom posted:

No it isn't.

Yeah. I work at a community health center and the future looks awful. Individual exchange plans gel fantastically with our program, making it so we aren't eating 100% of our patient costs. If the exchange markets collapse and Medicaid retreats my health center will be cost restricted to helping fewer patients while simultaneously having enormously more demand for our services.

We lost. It's hard to be cheered by a close loss when the net result will likely be preventable disease and death. It's not "giving up" to acknowledge this.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Star Man posted:

lol no they won't use the rainy day fund for ~*~reasons~*~

Instead, all they're doing is slashing funds, laying people off, freezing hiring to everything except for the department of corrections and the University of Wyoming, selling public land, and praying that coal and oil prices go back up to what they were eight years ago.

I'm of the opinion that the state could be a leader in nuclear power development because there is probably more uranium in Wyoming than any other one state in the country, but the Wyoming government's corporate masters in fossil fuels won't allow it. Wyoming's largest contributor to state funds is energy royalties from mining, followed by sales tax. And if people in coal and oil aren't working, then they're not spending money to generate sales tax revenue. There is nothing for the state to fall back on and all those people that moved here looking for any kind of work during the recession have packed up and left if they are able to.

I live in Riverton and there are houses all over the loving place that are for sale that will probably never get sold and if they do, I doubt it will be what the seller thinks they'll get. I guess Lander is faring okay, but that's because the town is more white collar and no one says "I hate Lander because there are too many Indians" like they do about Riverton. Cheyenne might be going through some growth as people who don't like the cost of living in Colorado are slowly migrating there and commuting all the way to Fort Collins for work.
coal and oil companies are by and large incestuous in both demeanor and a literal sense

anglo-saxon hegemony writing itself out of existence is greaat

namaste

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Ah yes, clearly what really hurt the blue collar voters with Democrats is people talking about how things are genuinely really bad and there is a pressing need to fix things.

This is 100% the opposite of the Democrats' strategy in 2016.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Please post where I said "give up." or "Stop trying" or "be sad."

You yelled at people for being optimistic.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Majorian posted:

This is 100% the opposite of the Democrats' strategy in 2016.

In fact it was the whole of Trump's strategy.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Subvisual Haze posted:

We lost. It's hard to be cheered by a close loss when the net result will likely be preventable disease and death. It's not "giving up" to acknowledge this.

Wait a second, how is the loss of this one special election going to likely be preventable disease and death, where it otherwise wouldn't have been if Ossoff had won?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Things suck so let's just all yell at each other for a while. Did I see someone using the phrase 'ivory tower liberal'? JUICY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I am on Obamacare. I also have an incredible serious stomach issue in the last year which came very close to leaving me non-functional and required surgery that even with Obamacare left me with incredibly heavy medical bills and which requires ongoing treatment and medication to leave me functional. I am genuinely and wholeheartedly terrified of what is going to happen in the next year not because it will impact me, personally, on a very significant level. This is in addition to other medical issues including multiple scoliosis which has gotten worse as I've gotten older and leaves me frequently in crippling pain. I don't particularly want to go into every goddamn problem my lovely failing body has in this thread but if you're looking for me to admit "I care about this because it will impact me, personally," then yes, it does, in addition to friends and family members. (That multiple scoliosis is something both my father and sister have too.)

I'm not looking for that kind of admittance, and I am sorry to hear that you are in such a rough state. The point is that you aren't alone in being worried about the ACA, you're not alone in knowing what is at stake when Democrats fail to make gains.

There is poo poo to talk about Ossoff's loss. The Dems need to find a balance between going after Trump and the Republicans for their policies while pushing and promoting their own. They need to learn how to convince voters that they are in the fight that they are absolutely already in. But part of that is actually grappling with what Ossoff's loss means in context, and that means acknowledging that it was a better performance in that district than Dems have done in a while. Part of fixing failure is acknowledging what worked or was okay but can be improved, otherwise you get poo poo like people convinced that you should never ever mention Trump because then you're just "being the uninspiring party of Not-Trump."

• Locked thread