Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Have you guys considered not playing SFO because holy poo poo does it sound terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zudgemud posted:

Ranged focus fire and lots chaff to tie him up. Due to some unfortunate repeated beastmen raiding I had a prolonged lack of crossbowmen. This made vampire lords and heroes really god drat difficult to deal with as the flat trajectory attack of free company militias is not great for dealing with small single model melee monsters tearing through your main battle line.
Basically all my battles ended up being played out as described above. The few remaining free company militia with ammo being used to slowly focus down their lords/heroes while my own general tried to get an occasional charge in while at the same avoiding becoming a victim for the game of murder tag.

If you've got flat trajectory shooting at a character the easiest way to do it is to have your character fight him and retreat any melee units. The character is basically immune to friendly fire and the guns will kill fast enough that even a weenier character can usually survive long enough to get the kill.

I've seen off many a Grimgor that way.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Zore posted:

Have you guys considered not playing SFO because holy poo poo does it sound terrible.

Idk I think it owns.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Apparently the update also buffs chaos across the board and also buffs witch hunters to actually be viable ranged heroes, which seems cool, even if I'll never use them in campaign for anything other than murdering agents

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
So, with all this talk about Bad Traits i realised i was still using that one mod "No Bad Traits" that was deleted (i had it saved in another folder for some reason and moved it back in after i realised i couldn't find it anymore on the workshop). It seems to work for all factions still so ive decided to reupload it here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=951486172

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Does it make chaos fun to play? I'm torn between doing another beastman run, chaos or vc.

I've done way too many vc runs but they are fun as hell and sound even more fun on steel faith so...

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zore posted:

SFO does a lot to make the AI significantly less terrible without just piling on more stat bonuses, makes a lot of otherwise garbage units very useful and viable at all stages of the game, makes magic and especially wizard lords fun to use, and makes what should be monstrous threats like the Vampire Counts and Greenskins into a significant presence on the map that need to be dealt with in a big way instead of vestigial baby factions who get strangled by their local neighbors in 4 out of 5 games. Vampires in particular are one of the most fun changes because it gives the Empire a serious snowballing existential threat that has to be dealt with in the early to mid game.

Generally these changes outweigh the warts.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 20, 2017

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fangz posted:

They could dismount in the earliest total wars. The problem is that it's basically never worthwhile to do so.

by eartliest you mean...the latest :v:

and they were super useful because cavalry was basically the only units in the game with armor in Attila so dismounting them to beat the snot out of some militias was cool and good.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zore posted:

we play it bc it is better

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
This might be another dumb newbie question but if I'm playing as chaos/beastmen, what's a good rule of thumb for when I want to start new hordes? It seems to take a long time to build up your starter horde and I'm not sure whether it's better to go "tall" and focus on pimping your main horde or go "wide" and get a second/third horde rolling asap.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Pellisworth posted:

This might be another dumb newbie question but if I'm playing as chaos/beastmen, what's a good rule of thumb for when I want to start new hordes? It seems to take a long time to build up your starter horde and I'm not sure whether it's better to go "tall" and focus on pimping your main horde or go "wide" and get a second/third horde rolling asap.

Speaking for Beastmen as I don't play WoC, with Beastmen it's generally just a good idea to keep your initial second horde around but leave it with just some cheap chaff troops and use it as bait for enemies while your main stack hides in ambush next to it or use it to reinforce major fights so that its leader will level up without costing you a ton of money. This will also let you bank a lot of growth so that when your economy is sound you can simply slingshot all the necessary buildings to turn it into a full fledged second army.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kanos posted:

Speaking for Beastmen as I don't play WoC, with Beastmen it's generally just a good idea to keep your initial second horde around but leave it with just some cheap chaff troops and use it as bait for enemies while your main stack hides in ambush next to it or use it to reinforce major fights so that its leader will level up without costing you a ton of money. This will also let you bank a lot of growth so that when your economy is sound you can simply slingshot all the necessary buildings to turn it into a full fledged second army.

At this point imo, WoC should just straight up port the beastmen mechanics. Waaagh meter, no attrition, second horde from turn one. It's so much more fun. They'd still be hardmode just from lacking the special beastmen movement modes.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Zore posted:

One significant change is to make settlements able to produce certain units at certain tiers, so even if the AI is pants on head retarded when it comes to constricting barracks type structures it'll still make reasonable armies.

The unit size of many chaff units is increased, so these units actually have strength in numbers because there's over 200 of the bastards per unit card. Magic is a lot more effective, so a couple wizards actually function as a force multipler. Conversely, some units are smaller but considerably more concentrated in power- Dragon back Slayers for example. Grail Guardians are another small but super powerful unit.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Panfilo posted:

One significant change is to make settlements able to produce certain units at certain tiers, so even if the AI is pants on head retarded when it comes to constricting barracks type structures it'll still make reasonable armies.

The unit size of many chaff units is increased, so these units actually have strength in numbers because there's over 200 of the bastards per unit card. Magic is a lot more effective, so a couple wizards actually function as a force multipler. Conversely, some units are smaller but considerably more concentrated in power- Dragon back Slayers for example. Grail Guardians are another small but super powerful unit.

Naw man, armies of 13 rock lobbers and 7 wolf chariots are way more fun

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

we play it bc it is better

I do it because I've done everything in vanilla and Empire's struggles in Vanilla aren't as fun as in SFO.

Also I have a really nice computer and it's nice fighting 200+ unit sizes.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The new imperial guard is stupid good and I'd like it better if they capped recruitment at one or two of them to reflect their elite status. Otherwise it's an unbreakable line of murder halberds, although that's still pretty fun.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The new imperial guard is stupid good and I'd like it better if they capped recruitment at one or two of them to reflect their elite status. Otherwise it's an unbreakable line of murder halberds, although that's still pretty fun.

Good thing we are getting Temple Guard (Lizardmen), Black Guard (Dark Elves), Phoenix Guard (High Elves) and Stormvermin (Skaven) as elite halberd infantry in the new game.

Jesus, Games Workshop has always been bloody awful with names and another evidence that Skaven are the best.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ZearothK posted:

Good thing we are getting Temple Guard (Lizardmen), Black Guard (Dark Elves), Phoenix Guard (High Elves) and Stormvermin (Skaven) as elite halberd infantry in the new game.

Jesus, Games Workshop has always been bloody awful with names and another evidence that Skaven are the best.

The "guard" spam went on overdrive as of the warham world blowing up.

Like every 40k and Sigmar faction has at least one kind of "Badass Guard" unit

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I mean, the steam tank is similarly powerful and expensive and so are the demigryphs. They're each basically the best units in the game. They should get hosed up by handguns or cannons or something, though.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PtX_tJdBU4

Warpstone meteor at 4:58

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tomb Kings confirmed as fourth faction.

I am so psyched to cruise my pleasure barge around elf island and put paid to the lesser races.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Vampire Coast??? @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PtX_tJdBU4&t=174s

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

That's what I'm thinking.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dandywalken posted:

That's what I'm thinking.

Sure looks like it.

And that did look distinctly like a Tomb King ship sailing off the coast as well...

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I'm so hyped for this its crazy.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I could see Tomb Kings being similar to TW1's Bretonnia; unplayable and unfinished until they get the DLC treatment.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lots of hype. Seems they're making new additions to the campaign map, such as walls and setpieces that are larger than a settlement. This could be dope.

I saw a Vampire city on the coast, humans with different colored armour, what looked like a tomb kings ship, and a warpstone meteor. This is gonna be sick.

e: Also, dwarfs in Lustria?

jokes fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 21, 2017

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Getting both Tyrion and Teclis as a high elf looks like it's going to be an unholy pain in the rear end.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Timestamp for this Tomb King ship? Can't find what you're looking at.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Blinks77 posted:

Getting both Tyrion and Teclis as a high elf looks like it's going to be an unholy pain in the rear end.

Seriously. I am a big fan of Teclis, and I am definitely starting as him, but Ulthuan just looks so cool to play around in

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Dandywalken posted:

how do you stop them? Just have to focus fire with everything available? Monstrous creatures?

Generally I mean, not necessarily Empire only.

Yeah I found the hyping of VC lords in SFO was way overblown. They die quickly to gunlines just like in vanilla.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Pirazzo's Lost Legion, nice one.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Today I learned that in a SFO game, one casting of The Dwellers Below will annihilate a unit of artillery. A Life Wizard on a Pegasus is ridiculous.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
drat that new campaign looks good as hell.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Ammanas posted:

Yeah I found the hyping of VC lords in SFO was way overblown. They die quickly to gunlines just like in vanilla.

I guess some people are just bad at gunlines.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Stephen9001 posted:

I guess some people are just bad at gunlines.
You're playing Empire! They're all about relying on guns and god to hold back 10 feet tall hellwarriors and doombeasts, how can people be bad at gunlines? Which, actually, is kind of why I wish they had more religious-themed units in their roster or that they were more crucial.

e: I really want a new Empire playthrough with Legitimacy mod, but also, new game coming out soon. Decisions are hard. :(

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 21, 2017

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I find the SFO vampires to be not as overpowered as people say too, except during sieges. They will absolutely lock down a portion of the wall with minimal support both as attacked and defender. It's very annoying.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I find the SFO vampires to be not as overpowered as people say too, except during sieges. They will absolutely lock down a portion of the wall with minimal support both as attacked and defender. It's very annoying.

As Vlad you can pretty much just walk your starting characters into Drakenhof's gate and slaughter the entire garrison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Angry Lobster posted:

Pirazzo's Lost Legion, nice one.

Imagine a story DLC tracing their adventures from Tilea to Lustria, Araby, and back home. Could be cool as gently caress.

• Locked thread