Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
derra
Dec 29, 2012

Prism posted:

I always get the Main Gauche, since so many classes can use it. I also got the mantle and the ribbon just in case, since I had time.

The #fire job ended up being Time Mage so I don't have to worry about anything.

I always get those 3 as well but thought it was worth calling out, because it seems people play this game very differently from me (hating Dancers? Grinding Flame Rings? Full power Brave Blades?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

derra posted:

I always get those 3 as well but thought it was worth calling out, because it seems people play this game very differently from me (hating Dancers? Grinding Flame Rings? Full power Brave Blades?)

My Brave Blade is actually still pristine. I'll see all my classes first.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

derra posted:

Dancers are good! But if you don't have some way to deal with Almagest (Blue mage, mystic knight or white mage) then Ned is kind of a pain (unless you level hard). They're obviously not the strongest Earth job (chemist and samurai are both absurdly good), but they're also not the worst - until you reach Ned and get Almagested. My dancer was still the king of one of my triple crowns a few years ago, because Sword Dance is fantastic.

edit: Almagest does ~1500 damage. The beefiest Dancer, Butt-Dancer, gets that at what, level 40ish?

Exercu fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 21, 2017

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Do Bows use the regular damage formula? Would giving a Ranger Equip Axe increase damage output?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

OzFactor posted:

Do Bows use the regular damage formula? Would giving a Ranger Equip Axe increase damage output?

Bows use the knives damage formula, so basically the normal Strength-based one plus a hanging byte from the agility portion (it's bugged, you'll get 1 or 0 but never more).

Berserkers have 5 more strength than Rangers, so yes, it will increase damage output a bit. You are fairly likely to have better options for that slot, but if you don't it's valid.

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 21, 2017

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Should I use my one Dark Matter on Boat Gilgamesh, or should I save it for one of the crystals? I didn't feel like grinding for more, even though I know that's what really makes Chemist shine.

Right now I have Bartz as a perma-Red Mage with White to see if I can unlock Dualcast sometime this century, and the others are currently: combine Geomancer with Red, combine White Mage with Mix, and having Mix on an actual Chemist. I always feel like I play FF5 sub-optimally, but I'll probably live, right?

derra
Dec 29, 2012
The Dancer themselves doesn't have to survive Almagest, that's what Phoenix Downs are for. Equip Ribbon and Rainbow Dresses means they're contributing a lot to the encounter anyway, even ignoring their great (albeit, yes, RNG and spikey) default command.

Generally you can prepare to handle your team surviving Almagest, even if not every individual survives the attack. Grand Cross is still a crapshoot.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Exercu posted:

Dancers are good! But if you don't have some way to deal with Almagest (Blue mage, mystic knight or white mage) then Ned is kind of a pain (unless you level hard). They're obviously not the strongest Earth job (chemist and samurai are both absurdly good), but they're also not the worst - until you reach Ned and get Almagested. My dancer was still the king of one of my triple crowns a few years ago, because Sword Dance is fantastic.

edit: Almagest does ~1500 damage. The beefiest Dancer, Butt-Dancer, gets that at what, level 40ish?

I am basically going to be spending the next couple days leveling, because no one on my team is going to survive the first Almagest except my one berserker. Dancer/Geo/Geo/Zerk is not a good team to go against Exdeath with.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Simply Simon posted:

Whoever had the idea for the mini tactic against the Crystals, I salute you.

It's actually a viable tactic against NED as well, since being minied doubles a character's evasion. Just equip your berzerkers with Aegis Shields and Gaia Hammers.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Alxprit posted:

Should I use my one Dark Matter on Boat Gilgamesh, or should I save it for one of the crystals? I didn't feel like grinding for more, even though I know that's what really makes Chemist shine.

Right now I have Bartz as a perma-Red Mage with White to see if I can unlock Dualcast sometime this century, and the others are currently: combine Geomancer with Red, combine White Mage with Mix, and having Mix on an actual Chemist. I always feel like I play FF5 sub-optimally, but I'll probably live, right?

Kill Boatgamesh. Atomos will give you another, but you have access to a very safe burn strat on the Crystals (everyone starts in back, Mix Resist Fire and Levitate on your team, Protect and Shell, hit the top crystal until it Firaga's, then switch to a different crystal and kill them individually as the fire one keeps you up).

If you're not deleting every crystal you probably should do a lot of that anyway, so just skip the Boatgamesh fight altogether.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

derra posted:

Kill Boatgamesh. Atomos will give you another, but you have access to a very safe burn strat on the Crystals (everyone starts in back, Mix Resist Fire and Levitate on your team, Protect and Shell, hit the top crystal until it Firaga's, then switch to a different crystal and kill them individually as the fire one keeps you up).

If you're not deleting every crystal you probably should do a lot of that anyway, so just skip the Boatgamesh fight altogether.

Right, thank you. I completely forgot that Chemists can create primary elemental absorption on a whim. Good fun.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
All The Bravest (Thus Far)

Plot.lost
Dwall (x2)
Koobes*
Supremezero
Focacciasaurus_Rex
Bufuman
Vernatio
Serene Dragon
Olive Garden Tonight!
Ssmagus
Blue Link
Fhqwhgads

That's $70 for those of you keeping track.

Bregor posted:

(PS. I'm trying for the Brave Blade challenge too, although Meatfort will probably break me.)
I offered Koobes double for their trizerker run, and I'll offer the same to you.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Bad Seafood posted:

I offered Koobes double for their trizerker run, and I'll offer the same to you.

Sorry, ended up running during the Mini Dragon grind. Bawk-bawk-bawk-bawk!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Ah, the wonderful feeling of heading back to the save point in the Barrier tower with your four reflect rings and getting another one to drop.

Next is the giant vacuum ghost with my Ranger and her three mindless, angry friends. I'm going to try them with all Killer Bows and see if we can race him. Here's something I never thought of before: does he take longer to suck up people in the back row?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Black Mage, Monk, Berserker & Beastmaster at the beginning of World 2 (Regole). A bit over-leveled from the Flame Ring grind, so the Monk is actually keeping up damage-wise still. Equip Whips on Berserker fixes their Agility, equipping Bare-handed on Beastmaster gives them a massive Strength boost, now all I need is for my Monk to learn how to equip a real weapon before her punching starts to suck, and I've got a pretty powerful physical party at this point. Unfortunately, this is the stretch of the game where Black Mage kind of sucks. Fortunately they tend to have an answer for most of the bosses up until we get to Moore and 5th level magic.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
Got tired of grinding for Sandworm, so I Job Fair'd a berserker and got a Ranger instead. Hey guess what my Earth job is

:smith:

Grinding for reflect rings now, but so far I should still have a 150 Brave Blade! We'll see if Meatfort breaks me

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Uhh so say I were to emulate GBA FF5 and I do the escape sequence after the fire crystal and I exit the castle and the overworld is all glitched out and the timer doesn't stop and the victory theme doesn't stop either until the timer runs out... and then I restart from the save point but the prelude just keeps playing forever... would I be screwed and the ROM is corrupted or something? Any fixes?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Are you using fast-forward? I've had the latter happen a couple times with the enhanced sound hack when loading a game with fast forward enabled (though more often I get silence until I get into a battle or whatever), though the former is new to me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

How do you guys have a "submit victory pictures" button? That doesn't show up on my player screen.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Yeah eff it, I don't want to do quad zerk sandworm. To the fair!

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Bruceski posted:

How do you guys have a "submit victory pictures" button? That doesn't show up on my player screen.

Are you logged in (via Twitter) on the FJF site?

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Mega64 posted:

Are you using fast-forward? I've had the latter happen a couple times with the enhanced sound hack when loading a game with fast forward enabled (though more often I get silence until I get into a battle or whatever), though the former is new to me.

No... Iron Claw isn't even spawning, but maybe I'm just murdering everything too fast? Timer keeps on ticking though. I tried saving and loading on the world map, but that didn't work either. Interestingly whatever BGM is playing at that moment speeds up as the timer counts down, which is kind of funny. Ugh, was just getting some traction here, gotta restart I guess.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What the indicator when the chicken knife is full power?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Rirse posted:

What the indicator when the chicken knife is full power?

No real indicator, but it will increase your attack power to 127 (if it's the only weapon you have equipped).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

A small riddle for the mathematically-inclined people in this thread. Assume Berserker Galuf being level 28 and using a Death Sickle against the forest guardians. What's the probability of the Death spell not triggering in 224 hits?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Maleketh posted:

Are you logged in (via Twitter) on the FJF site?

No I wasn't. That did it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Samuel Clemens posted:

A small riddle for the mathematically-inclined people in this thread. Assume Berserker Galuf being level 28 and using a Death Sickle against the forest guardians. What's the probability of the Death spell not triggering in 224 hits?

The Death Sickle procs an average of one-out-of-three times, so effectively zero.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Schwarzwald posted:

The Death Sickle procs an average of one-out-of-three times, so effectively zero.

approximately 1 / 2.9*10^40 chance

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 21, 2017

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
It's a 31% chance to hit (80% - [Level 28 - Level 77]%) after a 33% proc, I think. So a little better than 1 out of 10 hits should kill. 224 is a pretty drat long streak of 90%.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm not sure how/where FF5 rounds, but I have about an 8.2% chance to kill a guardian on hit, and a .000000494 percent chance after your 224 hits.

These are hits and not swings right?

Don't forget the crystals evade spells 20% of the time on top of the hit chance.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

derra posted:

Don't forget the crystals evade spells 20% of the time on top of the hit chance.

Yeah, the magic accuracy formula is essentially "(Spell Accuracy + Caster level) - (Magic Evade + Enemy Level)", so instead of being a ~31% chance to hit per proc, the crystal MEv makes it about a ~11% chance.

That's assuming that the proc triggers (33% of the time) and that the attack actually connects (85%).

Austere things
Feb 4, 2013
Whelp, that's done and another Basch for the pile, if that offer still stands.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, the magic accuracy formula is essentially "(Spell Accuracy + Caster level) - (Magic Evade + Enemy Level)", so instead of being a ~31% chance to hit per proc, the crystal MEv makes it about a ~11% chance.

That's assuming that the proc triggers (33% of the time) and that the attack actually connects (85%).

I don't think that's correct - it's an additional check (like Main Gauche or Elven Cloak evades).

Accuracy is Spell Accuracy + Caster Level - Target Level, or 31% in this case.

You also have to go through 100-mevade, or 80% here, giving it about a 25% chance per proc of sticking.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

BrightWing posted:

Yeah eff it, I don't want to do quad zerk sandworm. To the fair!

Re rolled into ranger, never got that before, so this should at least be interesting!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

derra posted:

I don't think that's correct - it's an additional check (like Main Gauche or Elven Cloak evades).

Accuracy is Spell Accuracy + Caster Level - Target Level, or 31% in this case.

You also have to go through 100-mevade, or 80% here, giving it about a 25% chance per proc of sticking.

Huh, you're right. It checks hit% and then checks evade%, as two separate rolls. I thought the two were part of the same calculation.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Bregor posted:

Was thinking about Rugwizard with Quadzerkers. Will he cast Return on a missed physical attack on GBA?
The Algorithm FAQ says you need to successfully hit the target to enact React scripts (aka Gogo doesn't React on whiffs). Having done it last year I really, really can't recommend it. You most likely can't just toggle fast forward on an emulator and have it work out. You'll also need to occasionally manipulate the RNG by hitting run/A? every once in awhile so it doesn't get stuck in a loop. I had three very high level non-Bartz Berserkers (though I can't remember if they were 97) equipped with nothing but Hermes Sandals and Mage Mashers which for whatever reason seemed to work better than a mix of anything else (for reference, +8 units of Weight is -1 Agility not taking in rounding errors. You could also consider the Knives formula including the M bug but :effort:).

Then again, you might get lucky because my successful one was like during a couple hours where I barely manipulated it every 15 minutes or so (after three overnights getting stuck on loops).

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Doom Goon posted:

The Algorithm FAQ says you need to successfully hit the target to enact React scripts (aka Gogo doesn't React on whiffs). Having done it last year I really, really can't recommend it. You most likely can't just toggle fast forward on an emulator and have it work out. You'll also need to occasionally manipulate the RNG by hitting run/A? every once in awhile so it doesn't get stuck in a loop. I had three very high level non-Bartz Berserkers (though I can't remember if they were 97) equipped with nothing but Hermes Sandals and Mage Mashers which for whatever reason seemed to work better than a mix of anything else (for reference, +8 units of Weight is -1 Agility not taking in rounding errors. You could also consider the Knives formula including the M bug but :effort:).

Then again, you might get lucky because my successful one was like during a couple hours where I barely manipulated it every 15 minutes or so (after three overnights getting stuck on loops).

Yeah I was hoping that a blind Zerk with Bone Mail, Reflect Ring and an axe for low accuracy would miss enough for Rugwizard to kill himself or run out of MP. Doesn't seem likely though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bregor posted:

Yeah I was hoping that a blind Zerk with Bone Mail, Reflect Ring and an axe for low accuracy would miss enough for Rugwizard to kill himself or run out of MP. Doesn't seem likely though.

Hit rate caps at 1% due to calculations, meaning there's always a chance to hit, and making Rugwizard suicide is almost as slow as running him out of MP thanks to inherent regen.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ayyy. That's exactly why I'm doing this Toxx.

• Locked thread