Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Caidin posted:

My biggest bugbears in the first game was getting those drat black bars of the screen without loving up the field of view and that the majority of the game is a mostly omnipotent sadist juggling your balls so I never had any real sense of progress until like the last boss.

If they can do something about the camera that'd be great, going to wait and see how the plot looks I guess.

They patched in the ability to disable the letterboxing sometime after the game released.

I recommend you all go back through it and play it again if you have not done so recently. I am doing so today and it's great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I think my biggest complaint (outside of the massive technical issues) was that every time I started getting invested in the mechanics and setting the game went OOOO WE'RE IN THE loving MATRIX and threw everything out of the window.

There was no sense of structure progression, or cohesiveness. It was the videogame equivalent of that party game where you write two sentences of a story on a piece of paper, fold it over with a couple of words showing and hand it to the next person to write a few more, before laughing at the mess of ridiculous garbage you've all produced. Except in TEW's case you'd just paid £30 for it and someone set the building on fire just as you were finishing it all off.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The Evil Within's digital bundle is on sale this week on the PSN for their Best of E3 sale. 50% off with PS+

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Convex posted:

I think my biggest complaint (outside of the massive technical issues) was that every time I started getting invested in the mechanics and setting the game went OOOO WE'RE IN THE loving MATRIX and threw everything out of the window.

There was no sense of structure progression, or cohesiveness. It was the videogame equivalent of that party game where you write two sentences of a story on a piece of paper, fold it over with a couple of words showing and hand it to the next person to write a few more, before laughing at the mess of ridiculous garbage you've all produced. Except in TEW's case you'd just paid £30 for it and someone set the building on fire just as you were finishing it all off.

This is also my only real complaint with the game. I hope the sequel is structured better. The first game can't really decide if it wants to be a stealth game or a shooty game, and punishes you too hard for screwing up the stealth at the start, but punishes you too hard for screwing up the shooting at the end. There's no middle ground. You can get used to that pretty easy, but it still kinda sucks.

I would prefer something more akin to The Last of Us, where every encounter is structured to be either stealthy or shooty. The game is already built for it, the two of them control almost exactly the same, they just need more open areas like the villages in the early chapters.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 13, 2017

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

That Evil Within Bundle on PS4 was $7.19 when I bought it back in March. Might hold out if you aren't going to play it right away.

I was really hoping we'd see a short blip of news about Not a Hero, DLC 3, or Resident Evil 2 at one of the conferences. I guess E3 is officially starting today so maybe there'll be some news later in the week.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I should reinstall evil within. I couldn't even be arsed getting through the opening forced stealth section because I hate those things. I bet it takes about five minutes once you know what you're doing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fil5000 posted:

I should reinstall evil within. I couldn't even be arsed getting through the opening forced stealth section because I hate those things. I bet it takes about five minutes once you know what you're doing.

You should quit now lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fil5000 posted:

It goes much faster on the second time through, yes, but it's also really hard to make it through the village without getting spotted at least once or twice because the enemies are bunched so tightly together. My advice is to lure them into the traps if you get caught out by them, they're not just plopped there to trip you up.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

All this talk of traps and villages reminds me of the good ol' days of first playing RE4, before I recognised the last section of the game as a chore which would put me off starting the game again for years.

Good times... :allears:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
E3 came and went with no mention of the RE2 remake, right?

Does that mean anything? Development hell? Quiet cancellation? Just nothing to report? All of the above?

Vakal
May 11, 2008
It looks like Resident Evil: Vendetta comes out on DBD/Blu Ray today.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mogomra posted:

Does that mean anything? Development hell? Quiet cancellation? Just nothing to report? All of the above?

Vapourware

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Vakal posted:

It looks like Resident Evil: Vendetta comes out on DBD/Blu Ray today.

only digital today, blue ray isnt until july edit - and i think its actually tomorrow, it is in theaters today

Mogomra posted:

Do you have any other upcoming projects you’d like to tease?

Hiroyuki Kobayashi: The only thing I can tell you is about something that’s already out in the public. Resident Evil 2, a remade version, the game, will be out from Capcom soon.

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 19, 2017

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Guys I'm starting to think I got hosed on the RE7 season pass

At least we're still getting Not a Hero

Right???

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
TEW has a feel like an old band's greatest-hits album. It's as if a bunch of levels from several different projects were hemstitched together with not quite enough connective tissue, and in fact, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Mikami deliberately threw together level concepts from a bunch of unfinished games in an attempt to make it a sort of career retrospective for himself.

Mogomra posted:

Doesn't mean a thing. RE:R2 wasn't at any E3 at all.

They might be waiting to debut it at the Tokyo Game Show, where it would naturally be a bigger deal; they might have punted on having a decent vertical slice that would serve as an E3 demo reel; or they may simply have decided to put all their E3 muscle behind MVC:I this time out.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 19, 2017

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Wanderer posted:

TEW has a feel like an old band's greatest-hits album. It's as if a bunch of levels from several different projects were hemstitched together with not quite enough connective tissue, and in fact, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Mikami deliberately threw together level concepts from a bunch of unfinished games in an attempt to make it a sort of career retrospective for himself.
The whole game flows like dream logic (which is appropriate) with the way it will wildly diverge in mood and setting. It doesn't all work, but that was something that was really cool to me, it feels like playing around in a nightmare.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Wanderer posted:

Doesn't mean a thing. RE:R2 wasn't at any E3 at all.

They might be waiting to debut it at the Tokyo Game Show, where it would naturally be a bigger deal; they might have punted on having a decent vertical slice that would serve as an E3 demo reel; or they may simply have decided to put all their E3 muscle behind MVC:I this time out.

Yeah, I could see Tokyo Game Show. Sony has been real buddy-buddy with Capcom these past couple of years and I could see them saving that for the PlayStation eXperience in winter too.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

abagofcheetos posted:

Hiroyuki Kobayashi: The only thing I can tell you is about something that’s already out in the public. Resident Evil 2, a remade version, the game, will be out from Capcom soon.

Someone on neogaf said this is a mistranslation and he meant it will be revealed soon. Makes a bit more sense considering RE7 waa revealed about 7 months before release.

Hope it's in the style of REmake and not RE4 as the latter really wouldn't work given a lot of RE2 is corridors of one form or other. Also it would make even less sense if Leon was doing matrix kung fu on everyone as a rookie cop on his first day

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

For me if it's not literally REmake 2 then it's an abject failure.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wanderer posted:

This is almost the truth. The Evil Within was once a completely different game with the same general aesthetic, much more similar in tone to RE4. It wasn't even a horror game, at first. See this part of a foreword by Mikami himself and conclusion by the art director:

Imgur is having problems right now but I have the rest of it onhand anyway. I uploaded the artbook (which I own! It fuckin' rules!) in my let's play thread, scroll down and click on all the fancy pictures for the full relevant section of the artbook. There's some interesting concepts from the game it used to be found there.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 19, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I can only hope TEW2 knows what it wants to be and sticks to it, this time with less bathtub Matrix. I also hope it's optimized better than dogshit console version I had to suffer through.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Guys I'm starting to think I got hosed on the RE7 season pass

At least we're still getting Not a Hero

Right???

Never buy season passes.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SettingSun posted:

For me if it's not literally REmake 2 then it's an abject failure.

yeah, they might be able to pull off first person with the RE7 engine, but they would have to NAIL it. otherwise REmake all the way.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I've said it before, but I'd be totally fine if they just made a full game out of the first part of Leon's campaign in RE6. :shrug:

REmake 2 would also be great. And so would RE2, 1st person RE7 style...

What I'm trying to say is that I don't freakin' care as long as it's got some tense "Entire city's infected, and everything's gone to poo poo" parts.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
saw resident evil vendetta in the theatre tonight. pretty annoying they showed a lot of footage before the film started, i closed my eyes for most of it. my goon friend and i laughed really hard at some parts, and the action was really over the top and the acting hammy. all the japanese RE films are good.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The first nine minutes of it are on YouTube. I'm glad that Chris isn't getting another BSAA squad killed, but you'd think every nation's military would, at this point, have some amount of bioterror training.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wanderer posted:

The first nine minutes of it are on YouTube. I'm glad that Chris isn't getting another BSAA squad killed, but you'd think every nation's military would, at this point, have some amount of bioterror training.

I bet it still would be most basic, almost offensively simple concepts just dealt with over 30 minutes, because if we can save 50 bucks on the bi-annual bioterror training it will look good for the city's budget.

Like it's just some dude from the BSAA telling them "if the place is full of zombies, then you've other places to be" and "shoot them in the head, make sure they're dead" around a box of donuts and some stale coffee.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Practice your giant swings, stunners, and suplexes. No, don't ask me why."

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Didn't even know they dropped a trailer.

"When I was a kid, I used to think about the kind of man I'd grow up to be." -Leon

:allears:

The kind of man who wrestles living, walking horrible entities and gives many thumbs up to his partners.

"The BSAA know how to deal with this."

Yeah, you shoot them in the head then throw them like a garbage can.

Apparently it's already been released, and there was no fanfare. Interesting.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 20, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I loved the bit in Vendetta where Rebecca goes "yeah this new outbreak is so sad and we need a cure-OMG THIS IS THE BEST COFFEE EVER THE WAY THE CHOCOLATE ADDS TO THE FLAVOR IS AMAZING."

The BSAA being super into Breaking Bad is strangely funny to me too.

Also I love that we finally have an A-Virus!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The whole movie culminated for this part, and only this part. I fuckin' died, I just wasn't expecting it.

The impossible pelvic thrust that throws him off is so :shepface: that all the slow pacing up to the combat made it worth it.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 20, 2017

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Wait are these movies any good? I only saw the first RE film back in 2002 and it was ok but forgettable

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The CGI movies (Degeneration, Damnation, Vendetta) actually involve characters and plot points from the games and have nothing to do with the live action movies Paul W.S. Anderson makes.

I wouldn't call them "good" per se but if you like the insanity of RE4/5/6, they match that tone pretty well.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Convex posted:

Wait are these movies any good? I only saw the first RE film back in 2002 and it was ok but forgettable

Raxivace posted:

The CGI movies (Degeneration, Damnation, Vendetta) actually involve characters and plot points from the games and have nothing to do with the live action movies Paul W.S. Anderson makes.

I wouldn't call them "good" per se but if you like the insanity of RE4/5/6, they match that tone pretty well.

I haven't seen Vendetta yet but here are my three sentence reviews of Degeneration and Damnation:

Degeneration: Brings Claire and Leon back together (but not for the entire movie) in what I'd call more of an RE2-like plot and actually has Leon acting somewhat like he did in RE4 so it's kind of good just for that stuff. Claire gets to show that she hasn't lost all of the Matrix skills she learned for the Code Veronica intro. Has some dodgy CGI in places where the action ramps up and gets more frenetic but I didn't ever find it deal breaking or super distracting so overall it's not really all that bad for an RE movie.

Damnation: Much better CGI than Degeneration but takes far more of its plot and action cues from RE5 and RE6. You get super ninja Ada Wong, Leon a bit more into his more dour phase, bigger versions of iconic monsters, more guns, more blood. Again its okay for an RE movie but started to feel more like a generic movie than anything Resident Evil - outside the characters of course.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also they are like the one set of movies in existence that involve firing guns that actually has the dude (Leon in this case) load his gun with tracer rounds before he shoots to ignite the barrel.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Vendetta is loving dumb and I loved every second of it.

Also Rebecca is a cutie.

And Chris and Leon perform some loving virus magic and turn the zombies back into people.

I can pretty much just jump to any part of the movie and find something either awesome, hilarious or both.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Degeneration was amazing because of how ridiculous the self destruct process in that one was. If Umbrella spent as much money on safeguarding the research process than they did on getting rid of the inevitable gently caress-ups...

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I wonder/don't wonder what the closest analogies to what Umbrella does in the RE games is in real life. You hear about human atrocities during WWII and human/animal experiments in the Soviet Union, I assume there are clandestine labs somewhere trying some awful stuff with rats or pigs or whatever now.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Electromax posted:

I wonder/don't wonder what the closest analogies to what Umbrella does in the RE games is in real life. You hear about human atrocities during WWII and human/animal experiments in the Soviet Union, I assume there are clandestine labs somewhere trying some awful stuff with rats or pigs or whatever now.

Well, there are a handful of labs around the world that study Biosafety Level 4 classified diseases. These are diseases like the Ebola virus, Crimean-congo Hemorrhagic Fever, and Smallpox that are extremely virulent, deadly, and in most cases have no known cure nor any effective treatments. These are, no exaggeration, the most dangerous diseases in the world and the stuff horror films are made of.

But it is seriously unlikely that any of these labs are working on bioweapons or human experimentation. In principle, these diseases could be genetically engineered to be made much worse if you had the resources and a few decades to spare. But there is no way to make them distinguish between friend and foe, or civilian and military. This makes them completely useless for anything but regional genocide and terrorism, and there is always the chance the weapon could backfire and infect the people making it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Electromax posted:

The thing about the T-Virus is that turning people into zombies is a side effect of the pure stuff. Its actual intended purpose is in "reanimating dead cells," which is how Umbrella was using it: to create brand-new forms of life. With that in mind, other corporations would be chafing at the bit to conduct their own experiments, and the Degeneration lab was actually one of the smarter companies in the series as far as safeguards went. Their only problem was that dude they hired was running a scam.

The closest analog in real life is probably stem cell/CRISPR research, which is heavily monitored. I wouldn't exactly be surprised if there was some corporation funding a secret lab somewhere that's way out on the ragged edge of sanity, just because there's always going to be some rear end in a top hat who thinks Weyland-Yutani were the good guys in Aliens, but there's a limit to what can be realistically accomplished.