Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'll finally check out Apocrypha. The novel series turned me off really early because of course the guy who designed the worst design would focus the first chapter on his own bad character, but apparently that was just the first chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Lord Koth posted:

Has anyone actually read Knight's & Magic in order to offer an opinion about it? On the one hand it looks like generic LN isekai trash, but on the other I'm tempted to watch it simply because it has medieval mecha in it, a category that has been sorely lacking in decent entries since Break Blade. And the PV didn't look exactly terrible - no harem for one.

Dunno how fair it is to judge it on just one volume but I wrote this after reading it a couple of years ago:

---
Finished reading Knights & Magic vol 1 by Amazake no Hisago. Unsurprisingly, it's a popular web novel that got picked up by a light novel label and is now published in paper form.

A 28-year-old programmer, cherished by his software company for sliding in before deadline and saving projects, is on his way home one day when he is killed by a drunk driver. Through the wonder of reincarnation, he finds himself reborn in a fantasy world filled with monsters, where humanity fights for its territory using giant mechanical robots known as Silhouette Knights. They're powered by magic, and as our protagonist soon discovers, the method of control is eerily similar to computer source code. Using the amazing skills gained in his former life, the young hero now sets out to revolutionize warfare with brilliant magical algorithms.

Let me be frank: this is terrible. It places itself firmly in the bottom 1% of what I've read in the past few years. Not because the story is worthless, or the prose is terrible, but because the structure of the storytelling itself is so insanely boring that I wanted to throw the book out the window nearly every page. The author is so intoxicated with his lore that every trace of plot or characterization is drowned out by explanations on details of details in details. It's excruciatingly dull.

The author also has no trust in his readership whatsoever, so every single line of dialogue is followed by a paragraph or two explaining exactly why the character felt the need to say those words in particular, and what the consequences of uttering them will be. The main character is only developed through the praise of his surroundings, so he's left as a perfect doll for the author to move around in his little imaginary world, endlessly executing amazing feats through blazing intellect. Any chance for turning him into a real person is swept away by labelling him a "mecha otaku" who just loves big robots.

Reading it in Japanese, I'm also smothered by incomprehensible katakana fantasy names, which instantly makes it twice as bad. Maybe the series turns into something fun eventually, but I'm pretty unlikely to give it more of my time.
---

Note that many of my complaints may have been fixed in the anime adaptation.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, read the first Volume of the Netsuzou TRap manga. I think I'm ok giving it a pass.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
knights and magic is indeed generic ln isekai trash, but the anime may have sweet magic robot fights. if those fights aren't amazing there will be no reason to watch the show at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I'll finally check out Apocrypha. The novel series turned me off really early because of course the guy who designed the worst design would focus the first chapter on his own bad character, but apparently that was just the first chapter.
jack's barely even in the thing, spoilers

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Which is a good thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly jack's an okay character and honestly kind of fun in some of the fate/grand order stuff that just writes her like a goofy kid who wants to be friends with alice, but her design is p. bad so big rip

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if it was the same director as zero would the show open with a double-length episode about jack doing nothing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

if it was the same director as zero would the show open with a double-length episode about jack doing nothing
take the scene where tokiomi and kotomine's dad walk around kotomine while explaining things for twelve minutes, replace kotomine with a roast chicken, tokiomi with amakusa, and kotomine's dad with shakespeare. then place it in the middle of the season. grats, that's fate/apocrypha.

edit: that said nobody cares about f/a and it doesn't have WRITTEN BY GEN UROBUCHI slapped on it so maybe the anime will have the freedom to make some changes. the manga of f/a made some changes, for instance.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 21, 2017

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

quote:

Welcome to the Ballroom (Ballroom e Youkoso)
Centaur's Worries (Centaur no Nayami)
Made in Abyss
New Game!!
Owarimonogatari 2nd Season

Excited for these.

quote:

Restaurant to Another World (Isekai Shokudou)
Kakegurui
Vatican Miracle Examiner (Vatican Kiseki Chousakan)

Interested by these enough to give them a try.

I'll keep watching MHA and Sakura Quest of course. Looks like I'll be watching more shows next season than currently (as long as Centaurs and Abyss are as good as I hope), although the fall season is what I'm really hyped about.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Symphogear, gently caress yeah.

Will probably check out the Fate thing too. How many Sabers does it have

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

This season will bless us with not one, not two, but three new web novel adaptations, ranked #13 (Restaurant), #32 (Knighty Magics) and #91 (Smartphone) on Narou. Might be the first time they don't turn out to be big sales hits, so I guess the bubble is about to burst.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

McDragon posted:

Symphogear, gently caress yeah.

Will probably check out the Fate thing too. How many Sabers does it have

It has one definite Saberface, maybe two depending on if you count Jeanne as a Saberface or not.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

honestly jack's an okay character and honestly kind of fun in some of the fate/grand order stuff that just writes her like a goofy kid who wants to be friends with alice, but her design is p. bad so big rip

judging from the pv she seems to be a messy eater with a big appetite like chris. that's five points

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Okay, yeah, K&M does sound like it was pretty bad as an LN. If utterly stupid amounts of exposition was the absolute worst flaw though, it could at least be decent for fights when animated. Moved into the "I'll try the first few episodes" category.

Waffleman_ posted:

It has one definite Saberface, maybe two depending on if you count Jeanne as a Saberface or not.

Jeanne has always been a Saberface, hell it's even been used as a plot point (Zero). Maybe not quite to the same degree as the mass of various Sabers with it, but still pretty close.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it has jeanne and mordred but jeanne just looks similar to arturia and isn't an exact replica of her and mordred has, uh, obvious reasons to look like arturia, so it's pretty low on the saberface rankings

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Saberface is Saberface. Jeanne is one as are Nero and Okita. They're just not literal Arturia clones (in one way or another), like most of them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jeanne has a different design from arturia, she just looks similar because she's a blonde knight lady drawn by takeuchi. nero is just arturia with a different outfit, they even have the same hair. okita sits between these two extremes.

proof: jeanne doesn't have an ahoge, nero does.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Eh, while it's true that Jeanne is lacking the ahoge, JAlter does have it.

Also, to get back on topic, Apocrypha is looking pretty good from the previews.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Most of the reason I like Apocrypha (the manga at least) is because of Akira Ishida if I'm honest.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Akira Ishida is the same guy who did the best MaoYuu manga, right?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That is correct.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
in order of most likely to least likely to watch:

Hitorijime My Hero
Youkai Apartment no Yuuga na Nichijou
Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu
Dive!!
Ballroom e Youkoso
Keppeki Danshi! Aoyama-kun
Vatican Kiseki Chousakan
Konbini Kareshi

I was planning to either read or watch the older Saiyuuki stuff eventually so someday I may get around to the new show but not right away. I also have a buttload of backlog so I doubt I'll stick with all of these but it depends on how cute all the boys are.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i suppose if you go into saiyuuki knowing the action is awful it might be tolerable, but boy did that aspect really turn me off. the PVs for the new season seem to be repeating it, despite having almost two decades of progress in anime production methods.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
My impression having only watched a couple of old episodes and browsed the manga a little bit is that the manga is probably better. I started to watch the old anime a while back but it was only streaming dubbed and oh my god there was no way.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 21, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
these are the shows I'm definitely going to at least watch the first episode of

Welcome to the Ballroom
Centaur's Worries
Dive!!
Fate/Apocrypha
Restaurant to Another World
Cleanliness Boy! Aoyama-kun
Made in Abyss
Owarimonogatari 2nd Season
Senki Zesshou Symphogear AXZ
The Irresponsible Galaxy☆Tylor

there might be too much anime

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Are people hyped for Made in Abyss on the basis of the manga?

Slithy Toves
Oct 29, 2007
"Somehow it seems to fill my head with ideas--only I don't exactly know what they are!"
I'm actually surprised more people haven't mentioned Youkai Apartment. The manga is really sweet and adorable, even if the author's social commentary can be a little obnoxious. That PV doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence in the show looking good, but hopefully the writing will be as :3: as the manga/LNs.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is Tylor a sequel from the 90's show? Or is it like a Weird spin-off/remake?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Wark Say posted:

It's one of those fluffy <5m shows, so it can probably safely be ignored, canon-wise.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

different adaptation of the same source novels

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's based on the later tylor novels about tylor's kid

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Fate/Apocrypha and Isekai Shokudou are getting a watch from me the former because I am deep in fate poo poo and the latter, because I made the food thread, I must watch the food show. The light novel is a relaxing read, I'm sad that it hasn't been translated beyond 15 chapters.

Convenience Store Boyfriends sounds fun too, Saiyuki I'll watch because I've been starved for any Saiyuki content, I'm sad that Minekura's health issues and general publishing bs tends to make releases uneven and confusing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a Fate thread?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Fangz posted:

the pvs looked pretty good

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Fangz posted:

yeah, me. the manga owns. stuff gets twisted later but it has a rather gradual progression into the darker content so I don't think it should dissuade anyone from testing the waters w/ the anime

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Space Flower posted:

judging from the pv she seems to be a messy eater with a big appetite like chris. that's five points

Sold

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is there a Fate thread?

The type moon negathread has you covered for all your fate grand order needs and every now and again they discuss other things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Endorph posted:

jack the stripper

• Locked thread