Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
X-post from the 40k thread

The Sisko posted:

While not quite done just yet, these bad boys are are table top ready stage for me. Now that admech is much simplified I look forward to playing and not going cross eyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genola
Apr 7, 2011
Nice and clean! I like those red stripes.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

The Sisko posted:

Really friggin cool

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

Has anyone here ordered from miniature market before and had a bad shipment? My friend got our package in and there was no packing materials, it had a huge dent on the box (thankfully not a board game and just a minis box), and the paints were rolling around freely. I chalk it up to luck that none of them leaked or exploded in there. Is this normal or are they usually better about it? I'm willing to give them another chance if they typically have better packing policies but my friend said he's out.

I haven't ordered from them in quite some time, so I can't remember how packing looked. Have you contacted them to express your feelings on the poor packing? They might give you a credit toward your next order or something.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Cross posting my spooky Skeletons:

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Anyone have suggestions on bits and bobs or floor pieces for urban bases? I'm mostly going with cork and maybe some rubble but I'd love to have some molded floor pieces sometimes or other urban flair. I wish I could get some cities of death floor sprues for not a billion dollars.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Has anyone here ordered from miniature market before and had a bad shipment? My friend got our package in and there was no packing materials, it had a huge dent on the box (thankfully not a board game and just a minis box), and the paints were rolling around freely. I chalk it up to luck that none of them leaked or exploded in there. Is this normal or are they usually better about it? I'm willing to give them another chance if they typically have better packing policies but my friend said he's out.

Stuff I've ordered from them has typically come packed with the usual air bags and paints bundled in a plastic bag.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Sisko posted:

This is a really rad paint job! What forgeworld are they?

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Cross posting my spooky Skeletons:

These are pretty nice. I like them a lot.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Chill la Chill posted:

Usually I get a giant box that's stuffed with a shitload of air packs, and frequently a couple of cardboard dividers. Clearly something went wrong and you should complain to their service folks, but I've never had them do that to anything I've ordered, and they're my primary supplier for minis and related garbage.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How should I highlight a black cloak that's been painted Abaddon Black? i know grey works, but it's a bit too much of a contrast for my taste. I was thinking Incubi Darkness, then a fine highlight of Dark Reaper. Any suggestions?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Zuul the Cat posted:

How should I highlight a black cloak that's been painted Abaddon Black? i know grey works, but it's a bit too much of a contrast for my taste. I was thinking Incubi Darkness, then a fine highlight of Dark Reaper. Any suggestions?

Blue, Brown, Green or Gray will all work, but you're going to have mix your colors to keep the lighting subtle. You want to start with a highlight that's a mix of Incubi Darkness and black first, then move on to pure Incubi Darkness, then edge with something else lighter

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zuul the Cat posted:

I've been using Dark Reaper and Fenrisian Grey for my black power armor. I'd probably start with Dark Reaper and work my way up mixing colors. There's a Warhammer TV tutorial on a black cloak you could check out too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHGVtRRW4Xg

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Zuul the Cat posted:

This is a really rad paint job! What forgeworld are they?

JcDent posted:

Really friggin cool

Thanks for the kind words. My Admech are Forge World Metalica with a few tweaks here and there.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Friends I am going to paint my bigly marines as Salamanders. Can anyone recommend a darker green to use for their armor? I tried the warhammer TV method and the result was too bright for my tastes. Range indifferent. I'm looking for something slightly brighter than Caliban Green

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Just a few quick photos of the 4 chosen I've finished for my new Emperors Children army. Sorry for the poo poo quality photos, currently waiting on new phone. These pictures don't do the pink justice. It's supposed to be Vallejo Game Color - Squid Pink

The shading is pretty heavy handed, and this is my first go at models this detailed, but I think they came out alright. :shobon:

Still trying to get the process down, and watching a ton of videos. Gonna invest in an airbrush sometime soon and a few new detail brushes so highlights don't end up being so big and messy.

Wanted to go more :sparkles: Emperor's Children. While i was painting a few of these at my FLGS, a few people commented they liked them, but could never bring themselves to field a pink army, thus giving me more confidence that this was the correct decision. Going to do the bases with flowers as well. (Thanks whomever posted the flower links earlier!) Also, here is my terminator sorcerer with a female human head.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

:sparkles: Emperor's Children.

These look pretty good. Pink chaos warriors are badass. It's also inspiring for a stray noise marine I have sitting around!

Skails fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 22, 2017

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Squid Pink is my jam for doing 40k Emperor's Children. (and most other models I paint honestly). Those boiz look great!

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I remember using simple green to get paint off the old pewter miniatures, but is that safe with the warhammer 40k plastic cadians from ~2006? I'm trying to salvage some of my old models for resale.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Simple Green is totally safe to use on plastic GW mans. Super Clean is faster but prolonged (talking, like, days worth of time here) exposure may make the plastic a little soft. Small/thin parts like swords and gun barrels might snap off.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Thanks guys! :haw: I want to do my cultists next, but I can't think of a scheme that would work with their clothing/slaanesh.

Maybe a pink gas mask here or there, dark purple cloth... not sure. I was thinking about going full on 80's Warriors style with them, only a bit more garish. Very minimal leopard print scraps, maybe a pink headband? Any cool suggestions or examples out there?

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Been busy with lots of things. So finally got around to sharing here.

Working on a Tzeentch warband for AoS skirmish.

Finished gang for Gorkamorka

Some grots ready to grab some loot

A trukk ready for another game

Flower Witch for Kingdom Death

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Painting this tank gold using citadel paints

Any hints on shading? Usually with gold minis I'll wash with reikland flesh shade.

Thinking I should do the same but be careful to only get it in the recesses? My concern is the collor difference might be way too obvious with such wide open flat spaces. Maybe I should use a brown or black instead?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Moose-Alini posted:

Painting this tank gold using citadel paints

Any hints on shading? Usually with gold minis I'll wash with reikland flesh shade.

Thinking I should do the same but be careful to only get it in the recesses? My concern is the collor difference might be way too obvious with such wide open flat spaces. Maybe I should use a brown or black instead?

If you're using an airbrush you can get some color variation through that by layering metallic tones from one hue to the next, but if not I'd just use a wash in the recesses.

Consider using a sepia wash, then a brown wash. Gives more depth to the gold. Also, purple wash in the deepest recesses helps break up some of the monotony of it and makes the gold look more rich..

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Slimnoid posted:

If you're using an airbrush you can get some color variation through that by layering metallic tones from one hue to the next, but if not I'd just use a wash in the recesses.

Consider using a sepia wash, then a brown wash. Gives more depth to the gold. Also, purple wash in the deepest recesses helps break up some of the monotony of it and makes the gold look more rich..

Just old bristles. So I should sepia and brown the flat areas too?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Moar 15mm!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Moose-Alini posted:

Just old bristles. So I should sepia and brown the flat areas too?

Nah, you run the risk of getting water stains on the gold. Just stick to the recesses. Keep a dry rag or paper towel close at hand to wipe away any excess was that gets beyond where you'd like it.

Give it a good highlight after you're done using washes, too. Mix in that base color with a silver in a 2:1 ratio and do edge highlighting. Less is more in this case I feel, since you've got a really good base coat down on the gold. and anything more would perhaps distract from it.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

I just wanted to say I love your 15mm dudes.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

dr_ether posted:

So much good stuff on this page, but this really stood out. Can you explain how you go about creating such vibrant colours? I've been all about the naturals for years but I'm starting a Tzeentch -themed warband for another skirmish game and need to get a bit freaky.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Southern Heel posted:

So much good stuff on this page, but this really stood out. Can you explain how you go about creating such vibrant colours? I've been all about the naturals for years but I'm starting a Tzeentch -themed warband for another skirmish game and need to get a bit freaky.

Hi. First thing is I zenithal prime everything! This means the shadows are always nice and dark with respect to the highlights, no matter the colour scheme I am using.

Otherwise, I think the answer to getting the vibrant colours is not being afraid to highlight progressively to nearly white, and then go back in with washes and glazes to add some deeper colours.

This is the WIP shots for the Karic acolytes

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Fish and Chimps posted:

I just wanted to say I love your 15mm dudes.

Thanks! Its a very underappreciated scale I think.

There's some interesting stuff coming out of shapeways:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZUKP49X6B/skeletons-fantasy-miniatures-set?optionId=60786352

I've got a set of these arriving in the mail this weekend:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Thanks! Its a very underappreciated scale I think.

There's some interesting stuff coming out of shapeways:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZUKP49X6B/skeletons-fantasy-miniatures-set?optionId=60786352

I've got a set of these arriving in the mail this weekend:

What are you playing with those minis?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Its for Frostgrave

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

If I put gloss varnish over matte matte, will it end up glossy? Or some odd intermediate state?

On some river sections I've poured resin there's now a shiny gloss over half the terrain where capillary action has pulled it in. I don't have anything except spray matte varnish, and I'm worried about it hitting the glossy water. I'm going to add gloss medium onto the water anyway, so if I can spray it all matte (to remove the sheen on the 'grass'), then layer the medium ontop of the now matte river and it ends up shiney, then I'd be happiest.

Here's what I mean:

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 22, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Chill la Chill posted:

I don't know how to base this guy.

My vote goes for a mound of undulating tits.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

If I put gloss varnish over matte matte, will it end up glossy? Or some odd intermediate state?

On some river sections I've poured resin there's now a shiny gloss over half the terrain where capillary action has pulled it in. I don't have anything except spray matte varnish, and I'm worried about it hitting the glossy water. I'm going to add gloss medium onto the water anyway, so if I can spray it all matte (to remove the sheen on the 'grass'), then layer the medium ontop of the now matte river and it ends up shiney, then I'd be happiest.

Here's what I mean:

Gloss > Matte > Gloss is fine yeah. Be careful when spraying the matte on the grass as that likes to frost up.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I really love your paint style. It's pretty unique.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

dr_ether posted:

Love it all. When you do you zenithal priming, are you doing black > gray > white?

Awesome. I especially love your tiny skeleman. How big is your board when playing with 15mm? What are you using for terrain?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

dr_ether posted:

This is some extremely good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

berzerkmonkey posted:

How big is your board when playing with 15mm? What are you using for terrain?

I plan to use the standard size board. Actual Terrain is TBD