Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

fits my needs posted:

we just need to let China take over
or Germany, they're pretty good at exporting misery labor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Agean90 posted:

I like mad nate more than shook nate or calm nate tbh

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/877533841421987840

SC-5 was redistricted in 2008 and looks totally different now, and I guess I don't remember the RNC spending money in that district. Nor do I remember them even bothering to recruit a serious candidate in CA-34. They don't "compete everywhere."

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

as an nba fan i know that all stache bros are gulenists so iron stache is going to shake up our devil's bargain with erdogan

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Albert Brooks wrote a fictional story about America in 2030 and one of the parts of the story is China takes over healthcare in California after the big earthquake hits and it was a good book.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Concerned Citizen posted:

SC-5 was redistricted in 2008 and looks totally different now, and I guess I don't remember the RNC spending money in that district. Nor do I remember them even bothering to recruit a serious candidate in CA-34. They don't "compete everywhere."

UM ACTUALLY

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Shear Modulus posted:

as an nba fan i know that all stache bros are gulenists so iron stache is going to shake up our devil's bargain with erdogan
i'm sure we really, really need to keep the alliance with the person who is turning his own country into a daesh harbor state against the wishes of his citizens

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
IRONSTACHE

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i believe mad nate

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

loquacius posted:

the way you can tell this guy is something special is that he's been a politician for two days, he already has supporters, and people are already calling his supporters "bros"

iron bros is a pretty a+ name though

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
[extremely Stalin voice] all these fuckin Broz Bros are drivin me crazy

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

like frat boys in power armor

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
dont mash the stashe

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yinlock posted:

like frat boys in power armor

like a special move from a Mario & Luigi game

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
"David Yankovich" sounds like a Banderist, no surprise he wants to smash the proletarian revolutionary

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

and therefore I don't know how you get to $400b even when taking into account increased spending thanks to newly-covered people

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

and you think 25k/year families footing the rest of the bill is reasonable...why?

also i like how your first response was this instead of actually taxing the rich and deinflating fraudulent accounting healthcare costs

of course you raise taxes; I was saying I don't see how it's even as much as they're saying, and the sticker shock to begin with is because the state would be paying 100% when it's currently paying like 10% of the cost

Hell, Medicaid/CHIP covers 26% of Californians at $82b. Multiply by 4 and that's less than $400b. State single payer wouldn't necessarily get rid of federal Medicaid contributions either. I mean total state spending would probably be more like $200b, which is like a $170b increase.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

loquacius posted:

like a special move from a Mario & Luigi game

what is ironstache's stache stat

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

or Germany, they're pretty good at exporting misery labor

I was joking, but yeah sure lol definitely need to give the Germans a third try to engineer the most exquisite war/genocide industry.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I briefly wished I could vote for Bryce but then remembered it'd mean I had to move to Janesville or to that desolate stretch between Milwaukee and Chicago

Good luck stache bro

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

republicans never actually look into whether their policies will work, they just pass poo poo and win. just loving do single payer who cares if it doesn't work good lord

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

democrats are screwing up weed legalization in MA god i hate this party so much

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

I was writing a post about how hope only exists in JRPGs not written by :yokotaro:, but got distracted by the idea of describing BadDems in the style of Drakengard/Nier weapon stories.

Well... are you gonna share or just tease us with that?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Karl Barks posted:

democrats are screwing up weed legalization in MA god i hate this party so much

what, did they do something else recently or is this just a general observation (because yeah they are, gently caress old people)

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

loquacius posted:

what, did they do something else recently or is this just a general observation (because yeah they are, gently caress old people)

they're moving the power to ban marijauna sales from a community from the voters to the adlermans (think city council), they've upped the tax from 12% to 28%, and they're trying to classify the different kinds of weed (edibles, oils, plant) as different drugs

plus a bunch of other poo poo

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

here this goes into it: https://digboston.com/omnibust-on-ridiculousness-rancor-and-the-vulnerable-mass-cannabis-law/

other bad thing is they want to force marijuana sales to go through tobacco shops

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

fits my needs posted:

I was joking, but yeah sure lol definitely need to give the Germans a third try to engineer the most exquisite war/genocide industry.
they're already doing it for everything but war materiel, just ask southern and eastern europe

and they're making their own deep state now :allears:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Karl Barks posted:

republicans never actually look into whether their policies will work, they just pass poo poo and win. just loving do single payer who cares if it doesn't work good lord

the people need to understand why they're dumb for wanting things, and the reason why is we can't tax the rich

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Holy crap

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

lol that basically nobody even wants to suggest raising taxes on the wealthy tho lol:

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-pollin-single-payer-healthcare-healthy-california-20170621-story.html

single payer is doable!!!!!! (by raising sales and taxes on businesses)

quote:

First, California could impose a gross receipts tax of 2.3% on businesses, but with an exemption for the first $2 million of revenue. Through such an exemption, about 80% of all businesses in California — small firms — would pay nothing in gross receipts tax, and medium-sized businesses would pay an effective tax rate of less than 1%.

Second, the state could institute a sales tax increase of 2.3%. The tax would not apply to housing, utilities, food purchased for the home or a range of services, and it could be offset for low-income families with a 2% income tax credit.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the day this party dies is gonna own
The appropriate response:

"David who???"

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

u guys ever think about how much money is in off shore accounts.... i bet it's a lot

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

paranoid randroid posted:

i dont even remember how GA-6 became the end all be all of elections but my hot take is that if you're pinning all your hopes and dreams on suburban southerners not being awful, you might be in trouble

there were a ton of Republican contenders splitting the conservative vote in the primary while Ossoff was the only Dem running, so they thought there was a good chance he could slide into power by exploiting GOP incompetence to win the majority in the primary while all the GOP contenders were too busy fighting each other

he failed, naturally, but by then everyone involved was too high on their own farts to ask "why do we think he'd do better against one opponent than against ten?" for all the money they spent, he didnt do any better in the general than in the primary, so despite all the campaigning they did, the only thing that changed is that all the Republican voters voted Handel

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

and you think 25k/year families footing the rest of the bill is reasonable...why?

also i like how your first response was this instead of actually taxing the rich and deinflating fraudulent accounting healthcare costs

its illegal to raise taxes in California

it's basically the one state where a legislator can say "but it's expensive :qq:" without necessarily being a shitlord

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Main Paineframe posted:

it's basically the one state where a legislator can say "but it's expensive :qq:" without necessarily being a shitlord

do it anyway and make it go through the courts

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

lmao so this is why china is spending so much money in this dumb state :unsmigghh:

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

it's illegal to ban abortion but here we are

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

They make the fukken laws, that can fukken change them. no excuses

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

GalacticAcid posted:

https://twitter.com/WSpriggs/status/826556764242006019

William Spriggs is the Chief Economist at the AFL-CIO and not a C-SPAM poster

William Spriggs has an interesting essay in The American Prospect, Why The White Worker Theme is Harmful.

quote:

while in the fall of 2015 Republicans fawned over attending games between the University of Alabama and Auburn, not a peep was heard on the need for Democrats to be at a game between Alabama State and Alabama A&M. Black voters often determine the victor in the Southern Democratic primaries, but spending time in Iowa and New Hampshire would be a likely outcome of a party worried about white working voters.

Democrats need to spend more time developing a frame to combat inequality. They need to do a better job of explaining that income inequality is a threat to economic growth. They need to be spending time helping Americans take the blinders off and see that workers, of all races, are being given the shaft by a system where corporate greed has become an elite “entitlement.” They need to pull the Band-Aid off a false sense there is some white privilege that can spare some workers the wrath of America’s war on working people. They must fess up to their quiet, and sometimes vocal, support of an agenda that attacked America’s workers. They need to stop believing the problem confronting American workers is that they are uneducated or unskilled. They need to stop defining the white working class as the less-educated. Those are the perennial excuses meted out to black workers. Young black workers reacted angrily in 2016 to a perception that their pain was being ignored. They didn’t vote for Trump, but Clinton lost as much because they didn’t vote for her either as Trump won because white voters voted for him.

The Democrats won’t solve their electability issues repeating the debate about white voters that they had in the late 1980s. They need to focus on the urgency of the effect of income inequality on American democracy. They need to sound the alarm. And they need to wake up and see who they are in bed with. The power elite of the party think they have freed themselves of a dependency on union support. But the Wall Street vision of the economy is poison for workers of all races and for Democrats.
When the Republican Party of the 19th century cut its deal to end Reconstruction and concentrate on winning the white vote, it launched the Gilded Age and the unremittent growth of inequality that collapsed in the Great Depression. It was accompanied by a Southern populism that entrenched a harsh racial code. Trump’s victory puts us within reach of repeating that mistake in history. Democrats need to be wary, and shrewd. How they handle this could entrench the dystopia of more Trumps—or create a new multiracial coalition of class uplift.

Selected this section more or less arbitrarily, the whole thing is worth a read.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

it's been fun watching weigel become explicitly partisan

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/877574263196307457

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
if there's enough money for war, there's enough money for single payer

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
its been really weird watching Weigel go from being a kinda squishy libertarian-ish guy to what he is now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Agean90 posted:

They make the fukken laws, that can fukken change them. no excuses

it's not laws, it's parts of the California Constitution, as added by voters using the ballot initiative system to write hilariously ridiculous restrictions on taxation directly into the Constitution

• Locked thread