Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Someone please stop me. I'm tempted to buy a stormlord and fill it with 6 heavy weapons squads with mortars, 2 company commanders, and 2 platoon commanders.

For 854 points you get 1 vulcan mega bolter, 3 heavy stubbers, 5 twin heavy bolters, 4 lascannons, 18 mortars, and 6 orders. It probably isn't as effective as I want it to be but it sounds really fun.

Stanley Tucheetos fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

xtothez posted:

[*]The Swarmlord got the worst of the reserve rolls, arriving on turn 4. Even with his double move he didn't manage to reach anything before the end of the game.

Were you rolling for reserves? I'm pretty sure you just choose the turn he comes in.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

Someone please stop me. I'm tempted to buy a stormlord and fill it with 6 heavy weapons squads with mortars, 2 company commanders, and 2 platoon commanders.

For 854 points you get 1 vulcan mega bolter, 3 heavy stubbers, 5 twin heavy bolters, 4 lascannons, 18 mortars, and 6 orders. It probably isn't as effective as I want it to be but it sounds really fun.

That sounds rad as hell. How can you afford not to do it?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

DO IT TO IT posted:

Were you rolling for reserves? I'm pretty sure you just choose the turn he comes in.

We played the narrative mission Patrol (pg200), where you start with three units on the board and roll for reserves. We both used the stratagems that adjust the rolls up and down, so I was needing 5+'s for reinforcements. As is usual for 40k, my most expensive unit failed both rolls and automatically entered on turn four.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Still haven't gotten a chance to play a game on the new rules due to "work". But I have been playing with battlescribe in prep for ATC. Anyone have any experience with Guilliman led lists yet? Seeing how easy it is for certain armies to effect a turn 1 charge I decided to change up my list to the following.

Battalion Det
HQ - Sicarius, Chronus in Razorback with Twin assault Cannon

Troops -
6x 5 man tacticals with: 3x combi-melta/melta, 3x Combi-Plas/Grav-Cannon

Dedicated Transport
5x Razorback with twin assault cannon

Patrol Det
Hq - Techmarine

Troops - 2x 5 man Scouts

Super-Heavy Auxilliary
Roboute Guilliman

Lots of firepower here, still unsure if Grav-Cannons are the way to go.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

DO IT TO IT posted:

Some of the narrative missions use Reserves rules and have strategems that let you modify the results

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

xtothez posted:

Hormagaunts are incredible. I took 60, and despite half arriving late they were just an unstoppable tide that swept away anything they touched - including consolidating into a damaged Russ to finish it off.

Did they consolidate from a combat they had taken part in and take out the Russ in the same turn? Cause I'm pretty sure they can't do that.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Fuegan posted:

Did they consolidate from a combat they had taken part in and take out the Russ in the same turn? Cause I'm pretty sure they can't do that.

Unless they're berserkers, in which case they can totally do that poo poo :getin:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Fuegan posted:

No, they consolidated into it from killing Coteaz and attacked it in the following turn.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

How are these new morale rules playing out? Looks like MSU might suffer if they lose a dude, roll badly and *poof* rest of the squad disappears.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

BeigeJacket posted:

How are these new morale rules playing out? Looks like MSU might suffer if they lose a dude, roll badly and *poof* rest of the squad disappears.

It's fine and helps MSU more than large units. It's only d6+models lost.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Naramyth posted:

It's fine and helps MSU more than large units. It's only d6+models lost.

There's definitely a sweet spot for most units and I don't think it's "minimum size" for most. Like you don't want to run minimum size Necron Warrior squads because you want to keep them able to reanimate, so somewhere in the 12-18 range is probably ideal.

And for Orks and Tyranids I think you still want to go bigass hordes

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

TheChirurgeon posted:

There's definitely a sweet spot for most units and I don't think it's "minimum size" for most. Like you don't want to run minimum size Necron Warrior squads because you want to keep them able to reanimate, so somewhere in the 12-18 range is probably ideal.

And for Orks and Tyranids I think you still want to go bigass hordes

Agreed. I'm coming at it from the imperium lyfe. And big blobs of guard are good with a commissar.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

BeigeJacket posted:

I thought morale would be a big deal but it kind of isn't. Big hordes of infantry generally have rules to mitigate or ignore it, and small units rarely lose enough dudes at once to care about it. It only matters in edge cases e.g. if you kill 20 Orks in a turn and they're too far away to mob rule up with other Orks.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

TheChirurgeon posted:

Unless they're berserkers, in which case they can totally do that poo poo :getin:

Yup, they're pretty scary!

edit: regarding morale, in my third match of 8th I forgot to put one of my hormagaunt broods in range of synapse, and thus they lost ~8 models to their morale check after the first enemy turn. After that I made sure to stay within synapse :v:

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 21, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

BeigeJacket posted:

MSU is mathematically and practically more resilient to morale checks. You lost most of a small unit and then roll poorly on morale it may get wiped out, but you're still likely losing fewer models overall. 9 wounds plus a morale check into a 10 man Space Marine Squad is taking fewer models off the table than it would into 30 man unit. They incentivize blobs with units like Commissars to circumvent morale checks, or things that make Morale easier to pass like Mob Rule.

Also people do realize losing models to Morale is supposed to abstract them breaking and fleeing the battle, right?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

BeigeJacket posted:

They mostly affect everyone, but in ways that change your strategy. So far in my games the only way morale has really mattered has been when a unit got almost killed and then the morale took care of the rest of it.
Morale keeps the game moving when you've clearly lost an engagement but otherwise everyone has ways to keep it in check.

Being able to spend 2 command points and then automatically pass and then fly away with your 1 Triarch Praetorian and then roll 5 5's and bring the squad back to 6 with 2 wounds each as a Necron was pretty fun. :getin:

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Any of our resident Ork players want to give me some advice? I am trying to draft a 1.5k list now indexes are out.

Regular warbikers? I love the aesthetic, but the only consolidated source of 8e unit info I can find considers them absolutely terrible, though it is 1d4chan wiki so they could be over reacting.

Koptas seem really, really expensive, over 80 points a pop for fairly innaccurate guns and a random number of attacks, what are the benefits to them? I have 3 aobr models and again, sweet as gently caress aesthetic so I'm just looking for a reason to field them.

A gun platform battlewagon? A few weeks before 8th dropped someone had the idea of loading a kff mek into a hardcase battlewagon, having it hang back with the killkannon and shokk gun and have it blast things while the mek keeps it safe and topped up. Anyone tried it yet? I feel like I might be able to get similar results for slightly cheaper if I swap the wagon for some mek guns, more accurate too.

I want the centrepiece of my army to be a Big Mek, Painboy and Warboss all on warbikes backed up by some nob bikers. Riding around tying stuff up to allow some big squads of boyz to foot slog up the map safely. Backed up by some of the above.

I'm not too bothered about having the absolute most optimised list but I don't want to spend my money and points on a terrible strategy or really bad units. So advice would be appreciated.

Warbikers wreck rear end. Koptas are more expensive because Big Bomms are free, they get a boatload of S5 attacks, and they are an absolute nightmare to try to kill at T5 W4.

You might consider loading a Big Mek on a Warbike with both a KFF and a Shokk Attack Gun to ride beside the Killcannon Battlewagon--it took me loving 4 rounds of beating its rear end for me to drop a BW, even with Big Bugs and heavy mining equipment and rending out the rear end.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Corrode posted:

Thanks. Shows how long it is since my Ironclad got on the table.

E: also can't see any kind of cost for Ironclad assault launchers.

I think they're a free option for them now...

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

mango sentinel posted:

MSU is mathematically and practically more resilient to morale checks. You lost most of a small unit and then roll poorly on morale it may get wiped out, but you're still likely losing fewer models overall. 9 wounds plus a morale check into a 10 man Space Marine Squad is taking fewer models off the table than it would into 30 man unit. They incentivize blobs with units like Commissars to circumvent morale checks, or things that make Morale easier to pass like Mob Rule.

Not necessarily. Yeah, to some extent--a 5-man devastator squad is more resilient to morale-related deaths, but less resilient to suffering casualties from shooting and assaults--they lose combat effectiveness much faster than a 10-man devastator squad because each wound they take reduces their effectiveness by more than 20%.

Also, every army has the ability to auto-pass moral checks if they eat it real bad one turn.

quote:

Also people do realize losing models to Morale is supposed to abstract them breaking and fleeing the battle, right?

It can mean breaking and fleeing, blipping out of existence, phasing out, succumbing to additional wounds, being eaten by your comrades, etc.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yes, a devastator squad is the ideal example because if you can afford them you might want ablative wounds for the squad, because if you lose a bolter marine it's 13 points but if a 5-man squad takes a casualty it's either the sergeant or a 23-41 point devastator.

But for tactical marines? You can get 2 5-man squads, and each one has a combi weapon and a special or heavy weapon, and be overall less vulnerable to morale. A 10-man space marine squad rerolling morale is still really resistant, but with 5-man squads you may as well be immune to morale. And you can put both squads in the same rhino.

They balance this by making it so if you have more units deployed you go second. I think that's a fine way to do it.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
So I got my Nids out for their first 8th edition game.

I tottaly stomped my friends demons. He had no real shooting so he couldn't get to the tervigon which was keeping the termaguant squads full as the chipped away at what ever they were fighting. I also got 2 6 wound smites against his blood thruster. This is the first time my Nids have ever tabled anyone. The only thing I lost was 2 fexs and 3/5ths of a hormaguant squad.

The Malenthropes were being proxied for venomthropes since i couldnt find point values for them.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
I've headed back to 40k after many many years away, and picked up Genestealer Cults since, hey, that's what I played last time around. I'm trying to work out what to add to my force to make it competitive/not terrible. Here's what I have so far:

Patriarch
Magus
Primus
24 Acolyte Hybrids
32 Neophyte Hybrids
4 Aberrants
4 Purestrains

I'm going to pick up a box of purestrains to bring them up to useful numbers, but I need some hard hitters and... well, I'm not sure what else. Do people think I should pick up a couple of Russes for GSC, or should I just go with an allied Imperial Guard detachment? If I do the latter, what's the best way forward? Or would tyranids be a more sensible addition?

Thanks in advance folks.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Thanks for the ork advice everyone!

I've got a nice little 1.5k list now, Warboss on bike, big mek with kff on bike, painboy on bike (these will be fun conversion projects), 3 squads of 3 nob bikers, 3 squads of 30 boyz, 3 Kustom Mega Kannons with a regular Mek to keep them cooled off. It feels like it should have the tools to tackle most things.

Though, I've given all the bikers big choppas instead of klaws, because they are 1/3 the cost and have the same ap and average damage as klaws, don't have the -1 to hit that klaws do either.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?

General Olloth posted:

Being able to spend 2 command points and then automatically pass and then fly away with your 1 Triarch Praetorian and then roll 5 5's and bring the squad back to 6 with 2 wounds each as a Necron was pretty fun. :getin:

Have done something similar, only with a warrior blob blasted down to 3 models and then coming back to 12 the next turn.

Aren't Praetorians fearless though? I don't have my codex on me, but I thought that was one of the big reasons to use them.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JesusIsTehCool posted:

So I got my Nids out for their first 8th edition game.

I tottaly stomped my friends demons. He had no real shooting so he couldn't get to the tervigon which was keeping the termaguant squads full as the chipped away at what ever they were fighting. I also got 2 6 wound smites against his blood thruster. This is the first time my Nids have ever tabled anyone. The only thing I lost was 2 fexs and 3/5ths of a hormaguant squad.

The Malenthropes were being proxied for venomthropes since i couldnt find point values for them.

Such a cool looking army. We'll have to play soon!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Looking at the Primaris stats, why doesn't the lieutenant's bolt rifle get the AP and extra range of other Primaris bolters? You'd think a weapon with a fancy title like master-crafted auto bolt rifle would get more than just 2 damage standard Marine bolter stats, and Assault instead of Rapid Fire. Does getting 2 shots at 24 inches instead of 15 inches really make such an overwhelming difference that giving it at least the extra AP would make it overpowered?

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Nifara posted:

I've headed back to 40k after many many years away, and picked up Genestealer Cults since, hey, that's what I played last time around. I'm trying to work out what to add to my force to make it competitive/not terrible. Here's what I have so far:

Patriarch
Magus
Primus
24 Acolyte Hybrids
32 Neophyte Hybrids
4 Aberrants
4 Purestrains

I'm going to pick up a box of purestrains to bring them up to useful numbers, but I need some hard hitters and... well, I'm not sure what else. Do people think I should pick up a couple of Russes for GSC, or should I just go with an allied Imperial Guard detachment? If I do the latter, what's the best way forward? Or would tyranids be a more sensible addition?

Thanks in advance folks.

Guard has a lot more shooting, what with HWTs, fliers, and artillery. I actually considered it, and now have some Heavy Weapons Teams for sale/trade :v: Tyranids are really strong and much more melee-focused. I've actually gotten pretty stomped with GSC until I ran a Tyranid detachment with mostly GSC, but a Hive Tyrant, Dimachaeron, and Toxicrene, at which point I tabled my opponent for the first time in 8th edition.

Mostly, consider whether you want soldier mans with blasty tanks or giant dinosaur bugs led by floods of gribblies.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Bee posted:

Looking at the Primaris stats, why doesn't the lieutenant's bolt rifle get the AP and extra range of other Primaris bolters? You'd think a weapon with a fancy title like master-crafted auto bolt rifle would get more than just 2 damage standard Marine bolter stats, and Assault instead of Rapid Fire. Does getting 2 shots at 24 inches instead of 15 inches really make such an overwhelming difference that giving it at least the extra AP would make it overpowered?

Being able to run and shoot is pretty nice, and 2 wounds per hit is too.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Bee posted:

It feels a lot like Lieutenants in particular were intended as babysitters for tactical squads.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

It feels a lot like Lieutenants in particular were intended as babysitters for tactical squads.

I like the idea of having a Lieutenant and a Captain sitting in the middle of a blob of Intercessors and Hellblasters. The Hellblasters in particular would be pretty funny when overcharging- rerolling 1s to hit and would would make them incredibly consistent for their damage output.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
See, I think I'd like Lts better hanging out with the big guns.

Blowing your 3+ lascannon wound roll is brutal. In comparison, with an intercessor squad the Lt is adding maybe 1 extra 1 damage wound against a T4 target.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 21, 2017

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So has anyone played against Magnus yet? At 415 points he seems drastically under-costed.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

TKIY posted:

So has anyone played against Magnus yet? At 415 points he seems drastically under-costed.

I've seen a lot of people complaining about how much Tzeentch got shafted with them using the 3 generic chaos powers, but haven't seen any reports anywhere of actually playing magnus.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

chutche2 posted:

Blowing your 3+ lascannon wound roll is brutal. In comparison, with an intercessor squad the Lt is adding maybe 1 extra 1 damage wound against a T4 target.

Yeah. I feel like at least talking starter set chars, Swordguy should catch up with the Inceptors to help them through combat situations, Gunhaver should stick with the Hellblasters for that sweet plasma reroll.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

chutche2 posted:

Pedro re-rolls on lascannons saved my game the other day so I'm definitely in favour of this.

Gonna throw down 6 dreadnoughts next time I play.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
That's the first squad largely done, I'm humming and hawing over whether I'm gonna do squad identifiers and such on them so haven't varnished and fully committed yet but I'm pretty happy with them. Decided to use the nominal sergeant as a normal dude for a bit more visual variety in the squad and while i really wasn't sold on inceptors when they were announced I'm a lot more partial to them without the armour colour on their respirators so they dont look like they have big dumb mouths.

Next order of business is batch painting an intercessor squad which will hopefully take me less time than these greebly motherfuckers.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

I've seen a lot of people complaining about how much Tzeentch got shafted with them using the 3 generic chaos powers, but haven't seen any reports anywhere of actually playing magnus.

I watched a game last night ans he's basically unstoppable. T8, 18w, 4++ (rerolling 1s) and he rolls out d6/2d6 with his smite and then a ton more with his sword all while flying around at Mach 2. Ate a Swarmlord in combat without breaking a sweat and Swarmy had the charge.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
But yeah, it's why i'm debating if I want a techmarine or a primaris Lt when I field my 3 tarantula outrider detachment. Techmarine can repair them and carry his own heavy gun, Lt lets them get those rerolls. When I'm building an actual competitive list, those tarantulas are super undercosted and pair well with buffs.

Corrode posted:

Pedro re-rolls on lascannons saved my game the other day so I'm definitely in favour of this.

Well remember, the Lt rerolls wounds and Pedro rerolls hits. So you can use both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Artum posted:

That's the first squad largely done, I'm humming and hawing over whether I'm gonna do squad identifiers and such on them so haven't varnished and fully committed yet but I'm pretty happy with them. Decided to use the nominal sergeant as a normal dude for a bit more visual variety in the squad and while i really wasn't sold on inceptors when they were announced I'm a lot more partial to them without the armour colour on their respirators so they dont look like they have big dumb mouths.

Next order of business is batch painting an intercessor squad which will hopefully take me less time than these greebly motherfuckers.

These look really cool. Good work! I"m looking forward to seeing the intercessors.