Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

This is not Glengarry Glen Ross and you are not Alec Baldwin, go jump off a bridge.

Covfefe is for closers only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am so annoyed that the Awful app doesn't render tweets natively.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Rigel posted:

McConnell's demonic health care bill will lurch forth from its secret fetid swamp, hissing at the light of day tomorrow morning

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/877570939403350018

Well hello there.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Didn't this happen like a week ago? Have they been banging on about it all this time or did they revive it out of nowhere?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

You're a dick for quoting the whole post.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
Brownish person did a thing. Let's get Muslim Ban part 3: Electric Boogalee fired up.

quote:

An officer for Bishop International Airport was stabbed Wednesday in a possible terror-related incident in Flint, Michigan, sources told NBC News.

The attacker allegedly shouted "Allahu akbar" before stabbing Lieutenant Jeff Neville, who was bleeding from the neck, sources and witnesses at Bishop International Airport said.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/officer-stabbed-possible-terror-incident-michigan-airport-n775131

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Critical posted:

Last night I got real pissed at the election. Then I said gently caress it and smoked a weed and shot Nazis in Wolfenstein The New Order.

This morning I woke up sad and crawled to my lovely cubicle and listened to my favorite comedy albums all morning and now I feel better.

If something happens that breaks you its OK to disconnect for 24 to 48 hours before you resume screaming at the sky.

And Mango Sentinel's worst tweet is hard to pin down. Anything warmongering about NK is pretty terrifying. I thought yesterday's was scary as poo poo but it got buries under election anxiety.

Come on man, don't leave us hanging. What was the comedy album???

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

skylined! posted:

actually if you read the last twenty pages going back to the beginning of the election results i believe you will find that it is indeed many people's position. also of thousands of 'progressives' on twitter, but i guess that's not wholly relevant.

it is quite obvious that at this point many gop congresspeople are very aware that the AHCA is toxic as gently caress. an ossoff win would not have changed the current trajectory a tall, and if you believe that you have no loving idea who mitch mcconnell is or what he has done in his political career.

let's look at the numbers. the last election in 2016 in ga06 ended with (R) tom price winning by 76,171 more votes, with a total vote cast of 326,005 (201,088 going to price), or 61.7%
of the vote (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia%27s_6th_congressional_district#2016). the democrat received 124,917 votes.

last night, handel received 134,595 votes to ossoff's 124,893.

the democratic candidate was essentially flat vs the previous election.

handel managed to somehow lose loving 66,493 voters since the last republican elected in the district.

forget the democrats, the message, etc. if you are republican, do you really loving care who won or lost a meaningless seat that four months ago was a foregone conclusion your team would win anyway? or do you care that your candidate and party just somehow managed to leak 33 loving percent of its voter base? that is loving insane voter depression, and it cause for alarm.

if losing 33% of the voter turnout for this election, regardless of the win, isn't cause for GOP alarm and a total overhaul of the approach of the AHCA, nothing is. which is the point. they are trying to jam this through regardless of the rest of reality.

Why are you comparing presidential turnout numbers to special election turnout numbers? The midterms would be a better comparison, but even then you should expect a depressed turnout.

2014 midterms was 139,018 R to 71,486 D
2017 special was 134,595 R to 124,893 D

The story here is that this was a very good turnout the republicans and an astoundingly good turnout the democrats for a special election.

Dietrich fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 21, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is an eight percent national shift enough to swing the House?
That is an eight percent shift in very red areas. Even GA-06 is, at the most optimistic, purple. I think less consistently red areas will be more likely to convert, and if they push through a truly abominable health care bill it'll probably cause a shitload of issues for the GOP nationwide. Hard to argue fake news when your healthcare premiums just went up by a a factor of 5+.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Pollyanna posted:

Don't quote the whole Twitter line just so you can be an idiot and not use the awful app that does render Twitter.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
SPOILER ALERT here's what the next few years will hold:

-Supreme Court upholds political gerrymandering, giving the big :thumbsup: to what the GOP did in 2010.
-Resistance to Trump starts to die down as it becomes the new normal, along with the Dems refusing to move off their centrist message and having no candidates worth a poo poo, in addition to a demotivated base who expects to lose following the special elections.
-2018 is a GOP wave, picking up 30-40 seats in the House to take a 270-150ish lead, along with a 67-33 lead in the Senate which includes victories over VP candidate Tim Kaine and Dem darling Elizabeth Warren.
-2020 continues the momentum as Trump cruises to a 350+ electoral college victory, along with the house now going over 300 seats to the GOP and the Senate going 70+ seats to the GOP.
-Most importantly GOP wins continue at the local level, giving them enough states to call for a constitutional convention, meaning all bets are off.
-Everything burns.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Burning_Monk posted:

Come on man, don't leave us hanging. What was the comedy album???

Caligula by Anthony Jeselnik, My Girlfriends Boyfriend by Mike Birbiglia is a masterpiece, Live on Sunset Strip by Pryor.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dietrich posted:

Why are you comparing presidential turnout numbers to special election turnout numbers? The midterms would be a better comparison, but even then you should expect a depressed turnout.

The story here is that this was a very good turnout for both parties for a special election, more so for the democrats than the republicans.

Mmmmmm, this is not what Covok told us all last night. Your numbers are suspect.

But seriously, this whole GA-06 thing is done and over. Talking heads spent the days leading it up to it specifically stating that the results were going to be overinterpretted regardless of outcome before doing exactly that. They weren't wrong, and they are hyping because business.

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Critical posted:

Caligula by Anthony Jeselnik, My Girlfriends Boyfriend by Mike Birbiglia is a masterpiece, Live on Sunset Strip by Pryor.

Sorry, but this environment calls for the classics. Either Steve Martin or Bob Newhart.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Kafka Esq. posted:

Don't quote the whole Twitter line just so you can be an idiot and not use the awful app that does render Twitter.

Holy poo poo thank you.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

I can't wait to see the nursing home construction bubble collapse.

There's going to be a lot of millenials in a few years wondering why their apartment complex entirely has handicapped showers.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

boner confessor posted:

i dont disagree with your numbers here but i look at it from a different perspective. since you're comparing the 2016 general to the 2017 special election in my opinion it's better to say not so much that handel lost this many voters moving from a big to a small election, but that ossoff managed to turn out nearly as many voters as the general election. the end result is the same regardless

fair, and a positive spin. :ohdear:

i'm not sure there's a surefire way to get a real apples to apples comparison. does anyone want to self-identify as a successful political strategist and provide further insight?

also this is funny and i like angus king

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/877582177025761280

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I doubt that Nursing Home Residents vote.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Hell yes they do. Especially when the staff makes sure they vote the right way.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Dietrich posted:

The story here is that this was a very good turnout the republicans and an astoundingly good turnout the democrats for a special election.

given context nationally, spending for the race, etc i think it's worth comparing to the presidential election. normally i wouldn't and can see why you'd take issue with it, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

Go back to trolling Condiv's thread, idiot.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Hollismason posted:

In many cases they bring mobile voting stations to the nursing homes. Many smart local campaigns call everyone they can in those homes to wrangle up votes.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Are you loving kidding me? Old people live to vote.

Spacebump posted:

In many cases they bring mobile voting stations to the nursing homes. Many smart local campaigns call everyone they can in those homes to wrangle up votes.

Also they bus them to the polls.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I actually remember running a call at a Nursing Home , they weren't voting ,but they had huge signs , and sign up schedules for bus rides which included a free lunch at Sizzler or some place.

They're not going to gently caress around with the Nursing Home industry that's all I can say.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Hollismason posted:

Have you ever not seen elderly people at your polling station when you went to vote?

Hollismason posted:

They're not going to gently caress around with the Nursing Home industry that's all I can say.

You can claim that 2 + 2 =/= 4 all day, but it appears you're very wrong. They are passing legislation that the AARP is absolutely livid about. This is going to completely gently caress over the ability for many people to pay their nursing home bills, at a time when there is a boom in nursing homes.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Pollyanna posted:

Check settings pretty sure Embed Tweets is an option. At least on iOS it is.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BootStrap posted:

Sorry, but this environment calls for the classics. Either Steve Martin or Bob Newhart.

Bill Hicks or get the gently caress out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's a reason there's constant concern and hot takes about turnout among the young but you never see it about the old.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The old gerrymandering case where Kennedy threw his hands up in frustration was Vieth v. Jubelirir, decided 12 years ago. It was a 4-1-4 decision, and since Kennedy's concurrence was the 5th vote, his opinion is what counts.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/02-1580.ZS.html

Scalia wrote the plurality opinion, and it was pretty snarky. He wanted to just outright declare "gently caress you, gerrymandering is fine", but that wouldn't get Kennedy's vote, so he reluctantly went along with the "we have no way of figuring out an illegal gerrymander." However, Scalia wanted to just declare that after 18 years of courts trying to find a method, thats long enough to say that no such method exists, and ban all gerrymandering cases from now on based on that.

Kennedy wouldn't go along with it, and said that they haven't found one yet, but maybe someday academia will figure something out, which is what set off the mad scramble to find the magical gerrymandering-determining method that Kennedy would approve of. Scalia spent several paragraphs mocking Kennedy's optimism, and that it would lead to more pointless litigation.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I doubt they'll gently caress with Medicare other than to turn it into a voucher system in 20 years or some dumb poo poo. The Medicaid cuts are what I am concerned about.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

cheers to a hopefully-short-lived political career to gianforte

https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/877589301789212674

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Hollismason posted:

I doubt they'll gently caress with Medicare other than to turn it into a voucher system in 20 years or some dumb poo poo. The Medicaid cuts are what I am concerned about.

Per the graph above, Medicaid covers 64% of nursing home residents.

This is part of the reason the AARP is railing against it. It provides long-term care services.

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

mdemone posted:

Bill Hicks or get the gently caress out.

Youngster, don't make me pull out my Jerry Clower 8-Tacks.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Critical posted:

And Mango Sentinel's worst tweet is hard to pin down. Anything warmongering about NK is pretty terrifying. I thought yesterday's was scary as poo poo but it got buries under election anxiety.
I got real confused for a second.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Pollyanna posted:

But it does? Or at least the one I'm using does

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

skylined! posted:

cheers to a hopefully-short-lived political career to gianforte

https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/877589301789212674

:lol: that's pretty brutal. i hope it ruins his day.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

Burning_Monk posted:

Why Pelosi? I thought she was doing exactly what she is suppose to be doing.

Because she is extremely hated and drags down congressional dem candidates.

Oxxidation posted:

This is not Glengarry Glen Ross and you are not Alec Baldwin, go jump off a bridge.

Ok boss.

ImpAtom posted:

You are an insane person.

This is america, we're all a bit insane.

Captain Invictus posted:

take your inciting violence and accelerationism and gently caress right off

I'm not inciting anything or accelerating anything. I'm trying to help people survive.

KickerOfMice posted:

This is an intensely silly statement.

It is until they start burning crosses on doorsteps.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

:lol: that's pretty brutal. i hope it ruins his day.

It won't.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Peven Stan posted:

lmao, apparently not worshipping at the altar of white liberal racism makes me a chinese race supremacist.

this is why trump won etc.

your unironic use of "jungle asians" to put down non-chinese asians and your unwillingness to even acknowledge that chinese conservatives went out of their way to harm non-chinese asians and pacific islanders by lobbying against data disaggregation is what makes you a chinese race supremacist, buddy. i can literally hear you screaming "我们中国人 can do no wrong!!!" at your computer screen lol

and funny you post "this is why trump won" because as far as i can tell, the only difference between you and the deranged sociopathic trumpers on wechat is that you didn't vote for trump

p.s. no one's telling you to "worship at the altar of white liberal racism", that's your own guilty brokebrain broriental conscience speaking there :) chinese race supremacist gaslighting is so hilarious lol, it turns "have some respect for non-chinese asians and at least acknowledge when your people do lovely things to non-chinese POC" into "bow down before white people!!" somehow

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

C. Everett Koop posted:

-Supreme Court upholds political gerrymandering, giving the big :thumbsup: to what the GOP did in 2010.
-Resistance to Trump starts to die down as it becomes the new normal, along with the Dems refusing to move off their centrist message and having no candidates worth a poo poo, in addition to a demotivated base who expects to lose following the special elections.
-2018 is a GOP wave, picking up 30-40 seats in the House to take a 270-150ish lead, along with a 67-33 lead in the Senate which includes victories over VP candidate Tim Kaine and Dem darling Elizabeth Warren.
-2020 continues the momentum as Trump cruises to a 350+ electoral college victory, along with the house now going over 300 seats to the GOP and the Senate going 70+ seats to the GOP.
-Most importantly GOP wins continue at the local level, giving them enough states to call for a constitutional convention, meaning all bets are off.
-Everything burns.

Never go to Vegas.

• Locked thread