Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Open Source Idiom posted:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/watchmen-tv-series-damon-lindelof-works-at-hbo-1014987

Lindelof is so not the first person that comes to mind when I think HBO's Watchmen. It feels like too much of a straight up kitchen sink drama (with, yes, a lot of other things going on). I'll probably check it out though.

I dig Lindelof's work and I love Watchmen, but I wish this wasn't happening. Watchmen's story is good, but the work's real strength came from utilizing comics as a medium - embracing its limitations, highlighting its strengths, playing with form and format - to tell it. You could make a 12 episode, slavishly faithful adaptation, with a perfect cast that nails every moment with award-caliber performances, and even the diehard fan will walk away saying "It was just...missing something."

And if this turns out to be some "Inspired By" prequel/sidequel crap, that's just really expensive/misguided fanfic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I love Watchmen and hated the movie, but I don't think it's unadaptable. Just has to have more of a understanding of what it's actually about. After Leftovers I will follow Lindelof anywhere.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Just finished The Leftovers! Season 3 is really great and it's a shame that the show as a whole feels like a mediocre, boring story about grief awkwardly grafted onto a really engaging, interesting story about grief, with Season 2 acting as a weird connective tissue between what are essentially two different shows.

Very proud to say that I correctly predicted the final reveal all the way back in episode 1.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I'm still debating even bothering to watch Season 3 of The Leftovers. I really just could not stand season 1 and while season 2 was a huge improvement I feel like the show just isn't for me since I was always more interested in the mystery than the characters' endless grief-mugging, and the showrunners made it pretty clear that the mystery wasn't really the point of the show and probably wouldn't even end up being explained.

On the other hand it's only 8 episodes, I can marathon that in my sleep, and it seems to be getting rave reviews so maybe I'll give a shot.

e: Haha, well 10 minutes in and they literally drone strike the most annoying characters in the show. Subtle. Think I'll keep going based on that.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 21, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really loved reading Watchmen in the 90s and honestly really liked Snyder's movie, flawed as it was in some places ("Hallelujah", no)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

I'm still debating even bothering to watch Season 3 of The Leftovers. I really just could not stand season 1 and while season 2 was a huge improvement I feel like the show just isn't for me since I was always more interested in the mystery than the characters' endless grief-mugging, and the showrunners made it pretty clear that the mystery wasn't really the point of the show and probably wouldn't even end up being explained.

On the other hand it's only 8 episodes, I can marathon that in my sleep, and it seems to be getting rave reviews so maybe I'll give a shot.

While I think it is very very silly to watch a show for the mystery when they explicitly said from literally the very beginning that the mystery wasn't the focus and wouldn't be answered, you should watch s3.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

precision posted:

I really loved reading Watchmen in the 90s and honestly really liked Snyder's movie, flawed as it was in some places ("Hallelujah", no)

Man, I remember I was so hyped for the Watchmen movie. It looked absolutely fantastic. Like, the teaser trailer is still among my top favorite movie trailers ever. I still enjoyed the movie, but I feel like it's one of the only adaptions that tried to stick too close to the source material. A good movie adaption focuses more on capturing the spirit of the source material, trying to invoke the same feelings, etc, rather than getting bogged down in trying to be a page for page copy of the book. For example, I would say that the movie adaptions for Fight Club and American Psycho are as good as if not better than their book source material.

Escobarbarian posted:

While I think it is very very silly to watch a show for the mystery when they explicitly said from literally the very beginning that the mystery wasn't the focus and wouldn't be answered, you should watch s3.

:rolleyes: Yeah, I'm a very very silly guy, but maybe I'll be able to get over my silliness enough to watch it.

e:vvv, oh yeah, I forgot about Starship Troopers, it was really good too.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 21, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Starship Troopers is the best adaptation because Verhoeven hates the book

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

-Blackadder- posted:

For example, I would say that the movie adaptions for Fight Club and American Psycho are as good as if not better than their book source material.

I believe that Fincher said at least once that he didn't like Fight Club when he first read it or something. The movie definitely feels like someone who understood what it was trying to say better than the guy who literally wrote the book (true also of Troopers)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

precision posted:

I believe that Fincher said at least once that he didn't like Fight Club when he first read it or something.

The man has taste, it's a loving terrible book.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

precision posted:

Same here, but I hated The Leftovers after slogging through the first two seasons so I have no idea how I feel about this.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

Man reading that book after seeing the movie first was a real surprise/disappointment. I don't think I finished it, which is really strange for me.

Love the poo poo out of the movie though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

-Blackadder- posted:

Man, I remember I was so hyped for the Watchmen movie. It looked absolutely fantastic. Like, the teaser trailer is still among my top favorite movie trailers ever. I still enjoyed the movie, but I feel like it's one of the only adaptions that tried to stick too close to the source material. A good movie adaption focuses more on capturing the spirit of the source material, trying to invoke the same feelings, etc, rather than getting bogged down in trying to be a page for page copy of the book. For example, I would say that the movie adaptions for Fight Club and American Psycho are as good as if not better than their book source material.
I thought the movie was decent, but I never read the comic and had only watched the motion comic.

Casting Matthew Goode as Ozymandias was really, really bad.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 21, 2017

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

IRQ posted:

Man reading that book after seeing the movie first was a real surprise/disappointment. I don't think I finished it, which is really strange for me.

Love the poo poo out of the movie though.

The first sequel was a lovely low budget straight to DVD thing they probably expected to see heavy rotation on SyFY at 1am but the third movie was more like the first one except leaning a little too hard into the satire. It's pretty amazing going back and watching ST now given what happened after 2001. I'm pretty sure in the movie despite it trying to make it look like the bugs fault the asteroid was completely random and the war was used as an excuse to give millions of angry people an outlet beside the Federation.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

pentyne posted:

The first sequel was a lovely low budget straight to DVD thing they probably expected to see heavy rotation on SyFY at 1am but the third movie was more like the first one except leaning a little too hard into the satire. It's pretty amazing going back and watching ST now given what happened after 2001. I'm pretty sure in the movie despite it trying to make it look like the bugs fault the asteroid was completely random and the war was used as an excuse to give millions of angry people an outlet beside the Federation.

George Bush did Buenos Aires!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I must say, Snyder Watchmen's reception has aged far better than I expected. I never thought in 7-8 years time there'd be people claiming it's a fantastic movie, but I guess it speaks to the strength of the source material.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

-Blackadder- posted:

e: Haha, well 10 minutes in and they literally drone strike the most annoying characters in the show. Subtle. Think I'll keep going based on that.

Dont worry it turns out they were lying all along and the mystery being resolved is the point of the finale.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah it's not a full scientific explanation or anything but they do explain what happened to the departed and how they disappeared, which is way more closure than I expected to receive

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

HorseRenoir posted:

Yeah it's not a full scientific explanation or anything but they do explain what happened to the departed and how they disappeared

As told by an unreliable narrator who could've made up the whole thing out of whole cloth.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
So what was the explanation?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Slamhound posted:

A wizard did it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey maybe we should be spoiler tagging literally this entire conversation

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

pentyne posted:

"Crap, turns out they're just bugs. Quick, how do I spin this?" "It's afraid! It's afraid!"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It wasn't a wizard.

I mean, it could've been but probably not.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

HorseRenoir posted:

Yeah it's not a full scientific explanation or anything but they do explain what happened to the departed and how they disappeared, which is way more closure than I expected to receive

I guess it's some kind of closure, but the whole episode was centered around people lieing to each other. I get why people want to believe that Norah was telling the truth, but I like to think that there's a big possibility that she made it all up and that's just the story she tells herself to get closure.
(Just like you are doing by believing her.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Slamhound posted:

Well, there was no grand reveal of the exact mechanics of what happened, but allegedly:

Reality just sort of...branched apart at the time of the Departure; the 2% that disappeared in our world were now living their lives in a world where 98% of the population vanished in an instant. A team of scientists in our world discovered that a trace amount of unique radiation was present at the site of every departure, and built a machine that would allow a person to travel to the 2% world by subjecting them to a high-amplitude dose of that same kind of energy.

(Or maybe they just built a giant microwave that vaporized desperate people after they gave the scientists their money.)

Again, it was all open to interpretation, because we never actually saw the 2% world or any kind of definitive proof, we just heard the story from someone who may have been lying. The producers said in post-finale interviews that they briefly considered actually showing that character making the journey, however. You can read that as a tacit confirmation, but in the end they decided to forego any definitive answer and leave it up to the viewer.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

It wasn't a wizard.

I mean, it could've been but probably not.

A wizard did it is the joke answer to every storytelling mystery.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Hot drat the s3 finale of PoI was really good. Not just like, kinda good. Really good.

Why was there even a first season of this show.

I mean, I know why. Because a boring proceedural was easier to sell post all the Lost-a-likes tanking and pre Mr Robot. I'm surprised it didn't get cancelled after the first season though. I guess John Nolan's name probably helped it stay on the air.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

JethroMcB posted:

Well, there was no grand reveal of the exact mechanics of what happened, but allegedly:

Reality just sort of...branched apart at the time of the Departure; the 2% that disappeared in our world were now living their lives in a world where 98% of the population vanished in an instant. A team of scientists in our world discovered that a trace amount of unique radiation was present at the site of every departure, and built a machine that would allow a person to travel to the 2% world by subjecting them to a high-amplitude dose of that same kind of energy.

(Or maybe they just built a giant microwave that vaporized desperate people after they gave the scientists their money.)

Again, it was all open to interpretation, because we never actually saw the 2% world or any kind of definitive proof, we just heard the story from someone who may have been lying. The producers said in post-finale interviews that they briefly considered actually showing that character making the journey, however. You can read that as a tacit confirmation, but in the end they decided to forego any definitive answer and leave it up to the viewer.

I think the fact that they actively show her making the journey inside the machine and somehow returning after what would otherwise be a one-way trip is enough proof that Nora was telling the truth, at least in terms of where the departures went.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Snak posted:

I'm surprised it didn't get cancelled after the first season though. I guess John Nolan's name probably helped it stay on the air.

No, the great ratings did.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HorseRenoir posted:

I think the fact that they actively show her making the journey inside the machine and somehow returning after what would otherwise be a one-way trip is enough proof that Nora was telling the truth, at least in terms of where the departures went.

Huh? They don't show that at all.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

Huh? They don't show that at all.

They show her getting locked into the sphere and getting submerged in that solidifying liquid stuff, which probably rules out her getting cold feet at the last second

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I believe we're meant to get the impression that she could have been calling out for help/to change her mind in the very final shot we see of her in there. We cut on her looking like she could be about to say something

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

I believe we're meant to get the impression that she could have been calling out for help/to change her mind in the very final shot we see of her in there. We cut on her looking like she could be about to say something

I just interpreted that as taking a deep breath for air before being submerged

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I believe (and this is from interviews etc too) that the idea is either/or. I personally agree with your interpretation though!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The fact that the finale of the series came down to choosing wether you believe in the explanation that ties up every mystery in the show or wether you don't proves it was never a show about the characters with no interest in an explanation. Of course it was always going to explain things. That should've been obvious in season two when they started layering the mysteries up. It basically did the opposite of Lost. Pretended it was about the characters and then surprised you with an explanation. Lost pretended it was about the mystery and then surprised you by being poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Not that I was watching The Leftovers for "the answer" but the answer they gave is actually really cool and is one of the few explanations that nobody had been guessing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I find it hilarious that that show was apparently all about the mystery and it got explained in the end in what sounds like a fairly satisfying way.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

precision posted:

Not that I was watching The Leftovers for "the answer" but the answer they gave is actually really cool and is one of the few explanations that nobody had been guessing.

I'm fairly sure that alternative reality was the first guess anyone had. But it was handled well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was my first guess but a LOT of the thread said they never saw it coming

• Locked thread