Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Nah, no hard feelings. I just missed it completely for some reason, got excited and jumped the gun.
Gonna try to reel it in a bit.

EDIT: Oh great. Have a dog I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Thank you for that dog but that rule is dead.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
In regards to the Latuff piece, stories about Islamic terrorism get about 4.5x as much coverage as terrorism committed by other groups.
http://www.npr.org/2017/06/19/532963059/when-is-it-terrorism-how-the-media-covers-attacks-by-muslim-perpetrators

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

sirtommygunn posted:

Thank you for that dog but that rule is dead.

's okay, the dog probably is too.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Pants Donkey posted:

The SCOTUS ruled that offensive names can be trademarked. I think it was a band of Asian people named "The Slants" which is...yeah, but from what I saw they're a band of Asian people so people weren't clutching their pearls as much as Lester would like to believe.

Of course, the problem is that nobody ever wanted to outlaw the name "Redskins", but just have them change it because it's a slur as a team name. There's this failure on the right to realize that the freedom to do something doesn't mean you have to do it, nor that you are absolved of and kind of judgement or consequence for doing it. Sure, I have the freedom to go out and call people on the street assholes, but they can also tell me maybe I shouldn't do that and I'm a dick for continuing to do so.

And also that having your trademark revoked doesn't mean you can't keep using it, it just means anyone else can use it as well and you can't stop them at the federal level.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm usually way into Lubchansky but this one was way too wordy for too little payoff and would have been much better if it was only the last panel

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
At least it was worth it for the expression from the bearded guy in the third panel.

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009
Krieder wrote an interesting article on using assassination in political art. Figured it would be relevant.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Disproportionate Orphan posted:

Krieder wrote an interesting article on using assassination in political art. Figured it would be relevant.
Thanks for that, certainly the best thing I've read about recent events.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

I can appreciate the message but this isn't really how gerrymandering works. Republicans don't want to create a bunch of all-Republican districts, they set it so there's a small number of overwhelmingly Democratic districts and a whole bunch of districts where Republicans have a slight majority.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Neodoomium posted:

Ossoff lost in GA-6 so get ready for some crowing-rear end garbage comics written in the next 24 hours.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

After spending most of the 20th Century Russian-hunting, you'd have thought the Republicans would have a bit of sympathy.

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009

Change the donkey to Louise Mensch and this would make sense. I think most people realize Ossoff was just a bad candidate.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

This :freep: comment made me laugh (guy is a big big shithead who does that thing where they respond to your comments with "Mr. last name" like they are being the real adult)

quote:

PG Moderator - You folks have well documented financial issues. If you want to increase your readership, the PG needs to fire Rob Rodgers and hire Ben Garrison. If you saw the quality of his work in content and drawing style, you would drop Rodgers in a heartbeat. Thank you.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
"If those dumb hypocritical broads stopped using Uber then they couldn't sexually harass any women, problem solved."- Ted Rall

Yeah, Branco, most investigations are trying to find illegal acts in order to prosecute someone.

Someone seems salty about how clean Obama's administration was. Not even enough dirt to start an investigation.

Peak JRROSE. At least he didn't draw the college mascot crying.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
The alt-right is nothing if not fanatically loyal to people who both have an audience and agree with them

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Internet Webguy posted:

"If those dumb hypocritical broads stopped using Uber then they couldn't sexually harass any women, problem solved."- Ted Rall

Why would reading an article while in an Uber make you late, Todd?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Internet Webguy posted:

Someone seems salty about how clean Obama's administration was. Not even enough dirt to start an investigation.

I appreciate that there are so many cartoonists saying "Nothing is wrong with Trump." Loudly. Repeatedly. Synchronized with each other.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Erenthal posted:

It's really the most transparent concern trolling. "So you think we should cut down on CO2 emssions huh? But I see you exhaling it right now!" :smug:

Considering the source, you're definitely right. But it's true that air travel is a huge source of emissions and it is a bad look for conferences on climate change to be that carbon-positive. I know this because people who actually care talk about it, and talk about what they can do to improve it (a step Tinsley is obviously not interested in).

Frankly they should just start a forum.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Internet Webguy posted:

OTTO

Truly the best of all expressions. I could have done it perfectly if I could figure out the code for smallcaps.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chagrin Falls, OH is where Bill Watterson grew up and it's where Calvin and Hobbes is (effectively) set. Is there a reference here that I'm not getting, or did Bolling just pick that small town in Ohio coincidentally?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Sagebrush posted:

Chagrin Falls, OH is where Bill Watterson grew up and it's where Calvin and Hobbes is (effectively) set. Is there a reference here that I'm not getting, or did Bolling just pick that small town in Ohio coincidentally?

cha·grin
SHəˈɡrin/
noun

distress or embarrassment at having failed or been humiliated.
"Jeff, much to his chagrin, wasn't invited"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I know what chagrin means, thanks. In the context of a comic strip it's potentially got deeper connotations.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Internet Webguy posted:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Internet Webguy posted:

Yeah, Branco, most investigations are trying to find illegal acts in order to prosecute someone.

To be fair, all criminal investigations should begin with a firm idea of what they're going to find. You can't investigate someone "just because".

To be accurate, this one did know what it was going to find and all they're discovering is the details.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Webguy posted:

I'm so happy the attitude of "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime SOMEONE ELSE noticed?" is now a valid criticism. I'm going to try that next time I get pulled over for speeding "Well officer, I think you'll find that half of this is your fault: after all, if you hadn't checked my speed you'd never have known I was speeding." :smuggo:

Sagebrush posted:

I know what chagrin means, thanks. In the context of a comic strip it's potentially got deeper connotations.
The man in the comic strip is chagrinned at his attempts at free market healthcare solutions.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Remember that episode of Law & Order?
Detectives Briscoe and Green found a dead body behind a warehouse, but there was no evidence in the immediate vicinity that was easily visible. They shrugged, and went to get some pastrami on rye, don't trim the fat.

:doink:

Executive producer
Dick Wolf

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Neodoomium posted:

Ossoff lost in GA-6 so get ready for some crowing-rear end garbage comics written in the next 24 hours.

I'm more ok with the crowing from the right than the thinkpieces from the center.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Can you imagine paying someone money to make this cartoon?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

holy poo poo that is impressively lazy

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Duke Igthorn posted:

The man in the comic strip is chagrinned at his attempts at free market healthcare solutions.

and he falls down. Bolling's had a few strips in/titled Chagrin Falls and it's always about that grumpy bald guy rejecting lefty solutions and cutting his own throat. He probably happened across the town's name same as you did and thought it was funny there was a place named "Angry Trip".

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Neodoomium posted:

"We held on to a deep red district by our fingertips- fear us"?

I honestly don't see it

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Gum posted:

I honestly don't see it

It's big enough win that Z-Ben is going to draw a cartoon about it

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gum posted:

I honestly don't see it

Obama's wins were dividing the country, Trump's win was a mandate on his agenda FROM WE THE PEOPLE.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
JRRose rubs his hands in eager anticipation of a tragedy in OhiO.

Good work is in high demand.

*ahem*... Kim Jong Un is...BAD. Pulitzer, please.

You can tell this isn't a Garrison because Trump is fat and the bull is not.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Pants Donkey posted:

What pisses me off is his utterly lack of conviction or principle to come out and tell us what exactly is good and evil today. Instead it's this cowardly marathon of vague "things are baaaaaad" that's easy to agree with because you're ultimately not saying much of anything.
Both sides are bad. The good is Gary Johnson and the Libertarians.

Gum posted:

I honestly don't see it
Well, it's what is happening.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Those are some foolish-looking trophies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Disproportionate Orphan posted:

quote:

Americans who take their kids to Saw and Alien movies still seem oddly shocked by violent imagery in political satire, maybe because most mainstream American editorial cartoonists have turned in such lazy, gutless, Donkeys-&-Elephants hackwork for the last half-century or so. Their British counterparts have always been crueler and funnier — possibly because they have a history of literal, rather than symbolic, beheadings in managing transitions of power. Crude images of sex and violence, gluttony and flatulence, dismemberment and cannibalism recur in the cartoons of Gillray and Cruikshank, and persist in the work of their successors, like Ralph Steadman, who drew Nixon as a malignancy being excised from the heart of the Republic, and Steve Bell, who draws President Trump's head as a toilet.

Kreider is still the perennial thread hero. Excellent article.

• Locked thread