Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

Oh no, hyperbole.

It's needless. Just as you shouldn't have to preface your opinion with "This is my opinion, but", you shouldn't waste words trying to bolster what you say with some crack about how the opposition is engaged in wrong-thinking. Let your assertion stand on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's needless. Just as you shouldn't have to preface your opinion with "This is my opinion, but", you shouldn't waste words trying to bolster what you say with some crack about how the opposition is engaged in wrong-thinking. Let your assertion stand on its own.

If you can't handle exaggerated, catty remarks by a superior weirdo then I have to wonder what you're doing in the Prometheus / Alien: Covenant thread.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Talking about Alien movies?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Covok posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant. By making it a movie in the Alien series it would lead to certain obligations. It has to be a slasher film, has to feature Facehugger scene, it has to feature X&Y excetera excetera. If it was a new franchise it wouldn't have any of that and it could just be about what the film maker actually wants it to be about.

Obligations to whom? I can't speak for Ridley Scott, but I think it's far more likely that he made exactly the film he wanted to, and you just didn't like it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Obligations to whom? I can't speak for Ridley Scott, but I think it's far more likely that he made exactly the film he wanted to, and you just didn't like it.

No, the dude who made Prometheus is definitely concerned with making sure franchise fans get exactly what they feel they deserve.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Sir Kodiak posted:

No, the dude who made Prometheus is definitely concerned with making sure franchise fans get exactly what they feel they deserve.

A big pile of poo poo?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Schwarzwald posted:

To the producers, to the investors, to the fans, Etc. If you're going to call the movie Aliens then upper brass is going to expect certain things and put pressure on you for certain things. We can kind of tell that there was a bit of a back and forth with Prometheus waffling on being an alien movie or not. That suggests to me that there is some push from the top. Especially with how risk-averse Studios are and how much they expect these franchises to make them money forever.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Meridian posted:

A big pile of poo poo?

No, that's what they actually deserve.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

Hey all there is a brand new thread in QCS about SMg's ban and general posting style, all are welcome including those who think it is a great idea:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824447

I think GonSmithe would rather everyone discuss this kind of thing in there and leave this thread for posting about aliens. Specifically the type of aliens designed by H.R. Giger that pop out of people's chests/backs/faces

Lol nevermind I guess we can't discuss that in QCS

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Sir Kodiak posted:

No, that's what they actually deserve.

I don't know how to read.

Alien: Isolation is the true continuation of the franchise.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

Did someone buy his unban cert yet

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The movie has maybe like, 3 scenes of fans service. The alien stuff maybe counts too. The rest? It's all pretty new and different from the franchise so I'm not sure what some of you guys are getting upset about.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Meridian posted:

I don't know how to read.

Alien: Isolation is the true continuation of the franchise.

continuing the downtrend set by Resurrection?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Meridian posted:

A big pile of poo poo?

I was about to disagree with this, but since this a series that includes the theatrical cut of Alien 3, Resurrection, AvP, and AvP Requiem it's hard to disagree. :D

Covok is right though, and Covenant would have been a very challenging movie to pull off just from having to be both the sequel to Prometheus and "an Alien movie." I respect trying to fit all of that into one flick though and enjoyed it a lot.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

MacheteZombie posted:

How dare you

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Covok posted:

To the producers, to the investors, to the fans, Etc. If you're going to call the movie Aliens then upper brass is going to expect certain things and put pressure on you for certain things. We can kind of tell that there was a bit of a back and forth with Prometheus waffling on being an alien movie or not. That suggests to me that there is some push from the top. Especially with how risk-averse Studios are and how much they expect these franchises to make them money forever.

Doesn't Prometheus completely disprove that?

Ridley Scott did produce a move completely divorced from the Alien franchise, but the movie was so thematically and aesthetically linked that people consider it part of the franchise regardless.

This suggests that Scott fully intended his movies to be Alien movies, and that was exactly what he ended up producing.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Meridian posted:

How dare you

i dared to because i already cleared the room so i can safely go backtrack to find extra lootsposts

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Neo Rasa posted:

I was about to disagree with this, but since this a series that includes the theatrical cut of Alien 3, Resurrection, AvP, and AvP Requiem it's hard to disagree. :D

Covok is right though, and Covenant would have been a very challenging movie to pull off just from having to be both the sequel to Prometheus and "an Alien movie." I respect trying to fit all of that into one flick though and enjoyed it a lot.

Just quoting this because it clarifies my intent. Trying to be both the sequel to Prometheus and an alien movie is what I mean by it would have been better to be a new series.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

MacheteZombie posted:

I just realized this, another way the film 'remakes' the franchise, it turns out that David 8 is the Ripley 8 stand-in.

Unrelated: I peeped Oats Studios - Volume 1 - Rakka recently. It's neat. As a 'mockbuster' successor to Aliens, it nonetheless parallels very interestingly with Scott's films. It just isn't as aesthetically well-realized.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

K. Waste posted:

I just realized this, another way the film 'remakes' the franchise, it turns out that David 8 is the Ripley 8 stand-in.

Unrelated: I peeped Oats Studios - Volume 1 - Rakka recently. It's neat. As a 'mockbuster' successor to Aliens, it nonetheless parallels very interestingly with Scott's films. It just isn't as aesthetically well-realized.

I completely forgot she was the 8th clone in that.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

MacheteZombie posted:

i dared to because i already cleared the room so i can safely go backtrack to find extra lootsposts

To be fair, the game does have some problems, but going into a room with a bunch of dudes in it and banging on the wall with a wrench prompting the Alien to show up and shred everyone while you hide in a locker is cool as hell.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

Doesn't Prometheus completely disprove that?

Ridley Scott did produce a move completely divorced from the Alien franchise, and the movie was so thematically and aesthetically linked that it's retroactively considered part of the franchise.

It seems to me that all the evidence suggest that Scott fully intended his movies to be Alien movies, and that was exactly what he ended up producing.

But it wasn't completely divorced. It was initially announced as an alien film. Then it went back and forth back and forth depending on who was being interviewed. This suggests Ridley Scott was like "I want something new" and the studio was like "no make it aliens." That brought it some obligations but it seems Ridley was able to avoid some of it in the finished product. But if you follow the production history of Prometheus you can see that there was a lot of pushing back and forth on whether or not they were going to do the alien franchise. And my guess is that the studio wanted it to be a franchise everyone knew because it would make them money automatically.

In the end the studio won but Ridley ended up making of him that was divorced in it's actual execution. None of it was retroactive. The original intention of the studio was a new aliens movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

It's okay, he's carpet bombed the forums with his pervasive critical thinking. He's right in that nothing will be the same. Like Prometheus, he brought the light to these forums. Like the angry gods, the mods struck him down.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Covok posted:

And my guess is that the studio wanted it to be a franchise everyone knew because it would make them money automatically.

Your guess would be wrong. Jon Spaihts, one of the screenwriters, was very explicit in interviews that it was the studio who told him to take the xenomorphs out of his script and push the new stuff:

Jon Spaihts posted:

A lot of that push came from the studio very high up; they were interested in doing something original and not one more franchise film. That really came to a head at the studio – the major push to focus on the new mythology of Prometheus and dial the Aliens as far back as we could came down from the studio.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
In the aforementioned podcast, one of the twitter questions they "answered" was "where did David get his hoodie?"

It's almost like there's a scene in the movie that shows engineers wearing that exact same type of clothing.

I wonder if this mystery will be solved in one of the sequels?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Sir Kodiak posted:

Your guess would be wrong. Jon Spaihts, one of the screenwriters, was very explicit in interviews that it was the studio who told him to take the xenomorphs out of his script and push the new stuff:

What? Really? Did not see that coming.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snak posted:

In the aforementioned podcast, one of the twitter questions they "answered" was "where did David get his hoodie?"

It's almost like there's a scene in the movie that shows engineers wearing that exact same type of clothing.

I wonder if this mystery will be solved in one of the sequels?

Link to the podcast, this sounds like some good poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Link to the podcast, this sounds like some good poo poo.

I got you
http://www.empireonline.com/people/ridley-scott/empire-podcast-alien-covenant-spoiler-special-sir-ridley-scott/

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

ruddiger posted:

It's okay, he's carpet bombed the forums with his pervasive critical thinking. He's right in that nothing will be the same. Like Prometheus, he brought the light to these forums. Like the angry gods, the mods struck him down.

Is that picture from alien covenant

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Wemus posted:

It's the blowoff to Prometheus.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Covok posted:

But it wasn't completely divorced. It was initially announced as an alien film. Then it went back and forth back and forth depending on who was being interviewed. This suggests Ridley Scott was like "I want something new" and the studio was like "no make it aliens." That brought it some obligations but it seems Ridley was able to avoid some of it in the finished product. But if you follow the production history of Prometheus you can see that there was a lot of pushing back and forth on whether or not they were going to do the alien franchise. And my guess is that the studio wanted it to be a franchise everyone knew because it would make them money automatically.

In the end the studio won but Ridley ended up making of him that was divorced in it's actual execution. None of it was retroactive. The original intention of the studio was a new aliens movie.

“No-one actually asked where [the aliens] came from in the three subsequent movies, which is kind of ridiculous. That’s why good writers are good writers, they’ll ask a basic question like that and make that into a scenario.” -- Ridley Scott flickeringmyth

"The whole point of [Prometheus] is to explain the Alien franchise and to explain the how and why of the creation of the Alien itself," -- Ridley Scott hollywoodreporter

Ridley Scott always intended to make these Alien films.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Covok posted:

What? Really? Did not see that coming.

Of course, it doesn't mean that 20th Century Fox didn't whipsaw back to wanting the xenos in the movie for Alien: Covenant after fan backlash against Prometheus.

Entertainingly, word is now that the sequel to Alien: Covenant will increase the focus on the engineers after backlash from Prometheus fans.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Uncle Wemus posted:

If SMG being gone has got you down, just do what I do and read this tweet again:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

Wow, it's like SMG is still here, in my heart.

Covok posted:

Prometheus' problems and strong points have nothing to do with how many aliens are or are not in it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The tiny lil Jim Henson alien was such a weird choice, why was that chosen to be in the film They must have had a hundred different alien concepts over the years and they just made it smaller?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

bring back old gbs posted:

The tiny lil Jim Henson alien was such a weird choice, why was that chosen to be in the film They must have had a hundred different alien concepts over the years and they just made it smaller?

Because it was cute. :kimchi:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's to mirror the shot of David looking up at the statue of David, with the more humanoid chestburster looking up at David.

I don't like the mini xeno as a chestburster either, but I feel like it is supposed to convey a feeling of David creating "in his image".

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Ridley Scott confirms the Engineers will be back for the sequel:

quote:

“We’re being written now,” Scott said in the interview you’ll find below. “There’ll be three or four different players coming in to investigate. One of which will be the Engineers arriving back to find their planet decimated. I think those ships come and go on regular intervals. I see them as the gardeners of space.”

Scott continued, “Where we go next is obvious. We’re gonna actually go to the planet. In so doing…I’m not going to tell you the story!”

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3443009/ridley-scott-says-engineers-will-back-next-alien-gets-made/

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

David's gonna be in trouble when the in-laws get home

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snak posted:

It's to mirror the shot of David looking up at the statue of David, with the more humanoid chestburster looking up at David.

I don't like the mini xeno as a chestburster either, but I feel like it is supposed to convey a feeling of David creating "in his image".

Yes. It's a homunculus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

dont even fink about it posted:

David's gonna be in trouble when the in-laws get home

"Oh, no, Mom always told me not to play Genetic Engineering in the house... :ohdear:"